• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I want my buddy to get ultimate but he likes brawl more.

Crazy Hand 2001

Banned via Warnings
NNID
ForGloryOnly2014
He hasn’t really stated to me whenever he liked subspace emissary or not, but he called it “subspace misery” so I suppose we could see it as he didn’t like sse, but he did state to me he likes brawl a lot more

He owns a switch and a Wii u but doesn’t really use them much, and doesn’t own smash Wii u. Tried to buy the switch from him and his mom said his sister wants it.

Last time he was at my house he wanted to play brawl and tried to compromise by offering to play ultimate afterwards but I shoved ultimate down his throat and didn’t play brawl. You could say I should’ve compromised but he usually refuses to compromise with me on other things anyways.

His most favourite smash character is Mewtwo, and he usually likes to play 1v1 with all items off.

How do I convince him to like smash ultimate more than brawl?

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
He hasn’t really stated to me whenever he liked subspace emissary or not, but he called it “subspace misery” so I suppose we could see it as he didn’t like sse, but he did state to me he likes brawl a lot more

He owns a switch and a Wii u but doesn’t really use them much, and doesn’t own smash Wii u. Tried to buy the switch from him and his mom said his sister wants it.

Last time he was at my house he wanted to play brawl and tried to compromise by offering to play ultimate afterwards but I shoved ultimate down his throat and didn’t play brawl. You could say I should’ve compromised but he usually refuses to compromise with me on other things anyways.

His most favourite smash character is Mewtwo, and he usually likes to play 1v1 with all items off.

The title is misleading as it says "I want my buddy to get ultimate but he likes brawl more." where it would be more accurate to list it as "I got my buddy to finally play Ultimate and now he likes it more than Brawl.". But to answer your question why he now likes Ultimate more than Brawl is probably because it has the biggest roster in the series with all the veterans in it plus almost all the stages in the series. There are a lot of reasons to love Ultimate more than it's previous installments. Though I think Melee and Brawl has gotten Ultimate beaten in the mode and content department outside of the characters and stages.

Last edited:

DougEfresh

Smash Journeyman
The sound of your post makes it seem like you two have more important, underlying issues with your friendship than whether one of you can get the other to play their preferred smash title, since it appears both of you have difficulty accepting each other's preferences of games and activities more generally even.

Anyway, more relevant to the topic at hand: you don't "convince" him to like Ultimate more even if it's the current smash game which the majority of the fanbase dedicates their time to playing as a result of it being the latest entry in the franchise. We all like what we like, and if your friend doesn't like it as much as you, that's fine. Also perfectly acceptable that you don't like brawl as much as he does. You two just need to find a way to get over yourselves and compromise with each other from time to time instead of acting like one of you is better than the other based off of certain preferences and I'm certain both of you will be better off.

Mythical

Smash Rookie

Show him that brawl has crappy mechanics compared to the nearly godlike mechanics of Ultimate

Keeshu

Smash Ace
I mean he should play Ultimate more if he wants to play Mewtwo more since Mewtwo isn't in Brawl. Unless you're playing Project M of course, but that is almost like it's own game in the first place. He might not even like Project M.

Maybe find out some reasons why he likes Brawl and remember what those reasons are. You might be able to show that some of those things are better in Ultimate. Just be smart about it though. You don't want to do an interrogation because that could be annoying. On the flip side, you don't want to be all manipulative and try to use their words against them. Just listen for a bit, see what he likes. Maybe write it down later on, and think on it to see what he could like about Ultimate for a starting point.

Suggesting a game is a nice way to let someone love a game they otherwise wouldn't have considered. Forcing someone to play a game is one of the faster ways to make someone absolutely hate a game. The occasional nudge is fine, but don't push it!

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Yeah, Mewtwo's not in Brawl so that's definitely something Ultimate has going for it. Mewtwo's a solid enough character in Ult, so I'd think your friend would enjoy Ult from that perspective

I think a good thing to do would be to have him talk about what specifically he likes about Brawl, and see how that compares to Ult

Top Bottom