• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I think Ultimate is going to be the last game in the series.

keleyeemoh

Smash Apprentice
Think about it. Just the name, even. If this is Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, where would we even go from here? Everyone's here. Fan favorite characters are finally making it in. It just really seems like a last hurrah for the series to me.

For the record, I would love to be proven wrong. I don't know, it just seems like this is it.

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
Where it would go from here is a reboot.
While I agree that this game feels very "final", it would be a really dumb move to stop making Smash games. They sell ridiculously well.

I think this will be Sakurai's last game at the helm and the next game will sort of reinvent the series.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
You'd have to be crazy if you think this will be the last Smash game. In a way it will be final and after this I think it'll be a reboot.

If anything though if I had it my way I'd continue Smash with a spin-off like a crossover RPG or such.

Fell God

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4200-0492-3739
This would, at the very least, be the best way to go out, since there's no way a reboot would be able to top a roster like this.

soviet prince

I am the terror that flaps in the night
Premium
NNID
7066-9708-9591
just make the sequal an hd port and add in new stuff like MK deluxe but with more new stuff

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
Can't we just enjoy the game that hasn't been out yet rather than start thinking about the next one?

What if they do what they did with Team Fortress 2 and just keep supporting and updating the game for years to the point where a sequel would be unnecessary?

Last edited:

Mariomaniac45213

The Nintendo Villain main!
Switch FC
SW 5604 9250 9133
I do think this is the very last Smash game. HOWEVER I think this game will just be ported to each new system adding new characters/stages from new franchises inbetween life cycles. Basically make this game a "platform" moving forward. I just can't see them "rebooting" what would that even look like? The base 12 characters with a totally new maybe even standard fighter gameplay style (Like Street Fighter/KOF but with Nintendo characters). I just don't see how you can reboot the gameplay without Smash losing it's identity. It's why no Smash game has changed the formula since the 1st game. Yes new mechanics were added/removed as well as speed adjustments but the actual core gameplay is exactly the same as it's always been since 1999.

I just don't see many people jumping back on board the Smash hype train if this game's character roster goes from like 80 characters down to like 20 in the next game. Smash Ultimate is both a blessing and a curse. I do think Sakurai is done with the series after this one and yes I know he has said that before multiple times. But I think THIS time he is done. He's added everything anyone has ever asked for, if I was him I would retire while I was on top.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Nah, man. With how much money and popularity this series gets, there is no way this is the last Smash game.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Can't we just enjoy the game that hasn't been out yet rather than start thinking about the next one?

What if they do what they did with Team Fortress 2 and just keep supporting and updating the game for years to the point where a sequel would be unnecessary?
I can see that being a thing

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908
Smash Bros is one of the biggest system sellers Nintendo has. When their next console releases 6-ish years from now, there will absolutely be a new Smash game.

I do have a feeling this will be Sakurai’s last hurrah in the series, though. He’ll probably step back from the director’s chair, at least.

UserKev

Smash Champion
Honestly, I'm getting tired of Smash. I can't believe I'm saying this but I just am. Smash 4 is still even incredibly recent, which speculation still has a toll on me. Following Smash hype is too life consuming and even stressful, it needs a break. I'm even starting to be really concerned for Sakurai. He deserve a normal and non tensed life. Its not his fate to make Smash games.

KingofPhantoms

The Spook Factor
3DS FC
1006-1145-8453
Hey, the games make money, and it's obvious that fans across the globe absolutely love to see their favorite video game characters (especially those of Nintendo's) meet up with each other and duke it out in tense and/or wacky battles throughout the many different worlds their beloved characters hail from. That's not even getting into the competitive scene, which is pretty huge nowadays.

This game's got massive amounts of effort and time put into it, Sakurai and the devs are pouring their hearts out to make it the best Smash game yet. So it would make sense for this to be the last Super Smash Bros. game......for a while.

As fitting as it would be for this entry to the Smash's swan song, I don't think demand for more of it is going to vanish. A sizeable portion of it's audience will eventually want more, and newer, younger fans will be wanting more, as well. If nothing else, it's way too early to conclude that this is going to be the last game in the series, unless we get official word on it. Even then, that will be subject to change as years pass. And I don't see why they would jump the gun and decide to pull the plug on the series, because, again, people love this stuff, enough to make a very good profit for the company.

We shouldn't expect to see a new Smash game for many years to come, but don't call it quits on this franchise's life just yet. For now, let's enjoy what we're getting in just a few months, many of us will be able to savor it for quite a long time. Worry about the franchise's future later. It's unlikely to completely go away after this.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
What I see happening more is a long break then potential re-boot. Maybe skip next generation with maybe only a re-release of Ultimate then come back the following generation many years later.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
It could be the last Smash Bros. title that's directed by Sakurai. After that, a new director may step up if the series plans to continue any further.

FalconFire93

Smash Lord
NNID
ZombieHunter93
3DS FC
0074-4291-3615
Switch FC
SW-5918-1380-7797
It could be likely that it’s the case, but maybe DLC to increase the game’s lifespan.

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
Smash will definitely take a long break for sure, Nintendo has already stated their goal to have the Switch live for 10 years, so no need for another Smash. After that, well it could go a few ways.

Reboot - I know people fear that a reboot couldn’t bring anything, but honestly it could be good. My idea for a reboot is to make characters have more depth and custimizability. 4 already started the idea of customs, so the reboot should expand, make them big. Give Mario multiple moves to represent multiple entries, moveset based on Sunshine, Galaxy, Odessey, etc.

Death - This could be it, I get its a money maker, but all things die eventually and this may be Smash’s time.

Continued Support - Ultimate is the last game, but it gets treated like multiple games now a days, from Minecraft to even Mario Kart it seems. Why start over when you can just keep adding for years on end.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I'm even starting to be really concerned for Sakurai. He deserve a normal and non tensed life. Its not his fate to make Smash games.
Nope, but it's the job he took now isn't it?

I feel like sometimes people forget it's his job, and his choice to continue working on games, its not like he's doing all this work out of the kindness of his heart. Of course, he puts everything into the games he makes and does his best and that will always be appreciated.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I used to say Sakurai deserves to retire or have a very long vacation but is pretty clear he's a huge workaholic and enjoys his job. I doubt he'll stop too soon.

letsgetsmashing

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I think "Super Smash Bros Ultimate" will be the final game. But I don't think the Nintendo Switch version of Super Smash Bros Ultimate will be the final game. Like others have said, I think they will probably just port it over to the next system. Some people say they would reboot the series without Sakurai's help, but to me, as long as Sakurai is alive he will be helping on the games, if they were made. He's admitted to being a sort of control freak, and has to oversee everything in development. Plus to me, a reboot doesn't make sense. People almost long their minds when the Ice Climbers and Wolf were cut in between Brawl and 4. Imagine how people would react if they cut the roster down to even 25 characters. Newcomers like K. Rool, Ridley, and Belmont would likely not have a place on that roster, because they're not huge name Nintendo characters. The roster would probably consist of series mascots and main series side characters, like Mario would get Luigi, Peach, and Bowser, Legend of Zelda would get Link, Zelda, Ganondorf... I don't think Sakurai would be willing to cut those fan favorite characters mentioned above after waiting so long to add them in.

Personally. even as a HUGE Smash fan, I would be fine with this being the last game. The series should go out on top, and I'm not even thinking about the next Smash, but rather fully ready to enjoy this new game.

Last edited:

TheTrueBrawler

Smash Demon
If you make such a good game, why bother making a new one when you can add extra content, maybe update textures, make some general improvements, and port it to the next system?

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
''Speaking with The Guardian, Sakurai responds to the idea of him staying in the game development world right up until retirement; his response is one that shows great self-awareness, both committing to his current role with Smash Bros., and looking ahead to what lies after it.

“I actually don’t feel that way at all! The best way to enjoy video games is to play what other people have made. But at the same time, I have a role. At this point I have been asked to create Smash and so I am doing that, and will continue to do so if the demand is there.“''​
(Taken from an article on NintendoLife.)

So yeah, the demand will likely still be there even after Ultimate, so I doubt the Smash series is going to die here with this game as Sakurai will keep making them so long as that demand is there. That said, it's much too early for talk about future Smash games when this one isn't even out yet.

SmashBro99

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4957-2747-2945
I personally would rather have a reboot with less characters, but those characters get updated finally.

Sakurai is too scared to fix things like Falcondorf because he's let it be a thing for too long.

We'd lose lots of similar characters, and sure a bunch of unique ones too.
BUT

Mario with Cappy moves?

Link with items other than just sword, bow, bomb, hookshot...there are tons of options.

Samus with more tools? I don't play Metroid but have heard from others that she could be overhauled.

And the biggest problem, clearly Ganondorf could finally have a Ganondorf feeling moveset, he's my favorite villain and he'd be my main if it actually felt like it was him and not a bad c/p of a race car drivers moveset.

Quality over quantity I guess?

Sakurai has done so much and sure I'm grateful for it, he works his ass off.

He also is a control freak and stubborn, set in his ways and it holds back a lot, and I wish he would step aside and let someone else take a crack at it.

D

Deleted member

Think about it. Just the name, even. If this is Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, where would we even go from here? Everyone's here. Fan favorite characters are finally making it in. It just really seems like a last hurrah for the series to me.

For the record, I would love to be proven wrong. I don't know, it just seems like this is it.
Just want to point out that the name in Japan is Super Smash Bros. Special, and Nate Bihldorff decided to localize it as "Ultimate" because that sounds better.

That being said, I agree that I could see the series taking a different direction in the future, such as Ultimate serving as a base game that just gets added to (otherwise we'd likely lose much of what was 'brought back'), and/or Sakurai not being the directory or in the same role.

Sakurai is outspoken for being against sequels, and he goes into making a game as if it's the very last. You can see this with his other games he's done, such as Kirby Superstar or Kirby Air Ride or Kid Icarus Uprising. It's just how he makes games. However, Nintendo wants there to be Smash sequels and he kinda feels obligated to be in charge of them, because he thinks no one else can do it. Seeing all the other failed Smash clones out there kinda makes me think he's right though...

pap64

Smash Apprentice
NNID
pappel64
Switch FC
2966 0225 9209
I made a thread similar to this one many months ago, and I asked if there could even be a Smash 6, because in my logic Ultimate really does seem to have an air of finality to it; every character ever is present, the most requested characters (some of them) are in, every past content is in along with new stuff. The conclusion most of us came in that thread, myself included, is that Smash will never be finished. It is too much of a popular franchise for Nintendo to just "end". If anything what may happen is that future installments will not have the exact, same amount of content that Ultimate will have and instead create its own rebooted continuity, with legacy characters being present and accounted for, while newcomers are there to represent that specific generation of Nintendo (much like how the Inklings represent the Wii U era for Nintendo). And I wouldn't be surprised if Sakurai is already training his understudies to take over the duties as director because he will either retire to make his own games or just retire for good. But as it stands, no, Ultimate will NOT be the final Smash game.

Jyl

Smash Journeyman

The game is simply called Smash Bros. SPECIAL in Japan.
Ultimate is just an international name. Some people are taking this "Ultimate" thing too seriously.
And besides, Smash bros. is a huge money maker. Even if Sakurai won't make it, I'm sure Nintendo will continue to do so.

StormC

Smash Hero
They aren't going to stop making Smash games after they put out their highest selling one yet.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Uh, no. Just no for a while. Shiggy said that the planned life span of the Switch was 7 to 10 years. After that, a newer, even better console will arrive, with and even cooler smash with an even cooler title.

lucasla

Smash Journeyman
Next sequences can improve game modes like campaigns and the online competitive system - imagining that Ultimate's online will be just like the WiiU version, still without a proper ranked system.
I think a sequence would require a smaller roster, but with all the main nintendo characters returning.
But I also think that their move sets would need a bigger change to make the gameplay feel fresh, but this is a bit hard to accept...

Last edited:

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
Hm... they should cut....

:ultbayonetta::ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultdoc::ultduckhunt::ultgreninja::ultisabelle::ultlittlemac::ultlucario::ultlucina::ultmiifighters::ultolimar::ultdaisy::ultpichu::ultdarkpit::ultpokemontrainer::ultroy::ultchrom::ultryu::ultdarksamus::ultsheik::ultshulk::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultvillager::ultwario::ultwiifittrainer::ultyounglink::ultzss:
That's off the top of my head. If they went further, they should cut:
:ultgnw::ultrob::ultjigglypuff::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultsonic::ultsnake:
And that's as far as they might be willing to go
Olimar and the man himself, Wario?
I honestly cannot imagine a protagonist as great as Wario just getting removed, I can see him getting an almost new moveset, though. I can see him having a lot of more Wario Land powers added and less WarioWare/Smash moves. We need a character exclusively from WarioWare, if that were to happen.

Also, why do you think Shulk and Bayonetta should be cut? Or are these just characters you don't like?

Grevmak

Smash Cadet
As long as a series makes money, it'll continue. Either we'll get a reboot or Smash Ultimate will, first off all, get supported for a long time. Nintendo stated they intend for the Switch to last a looooong time in interviews so I can see Ultimate being the premier smash game for an easy 6 if not 7 to 8 years.

Where it goes from there: Reboot. Pretty sure. They'll probably just cut most of the less popular or later additions that people don't care all that much about, or maybe even just keep the orig. 12 and go crazy from there.

Mrplutoguy112

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai has said multiple times that every smash game will be his last. Really melee and brawl were both supposed to be the last in the series but with it being a successful franchise I don’t think even after ultimate that will be the last.
And that’s one thing only money for Nintendo and it has a huge community why would Nintendo stop making smash when it countines to be successful and bring in the cash.
So no I don’t think ultimate will be the last game tho do think the next game won’t come out for a long time.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Olimar and the man himself, Wario?
I honestly cannot imagine a protagonist as great as Wario just getting removed, I can see him getting an almost new moveset, though. I can see him having a lot of more Wario Land powers added and less WarioWare/Smash moves. We need a character exclusively from WarioWare, if that were to happen.

Also, why do you think Shulk and Bayonetta should be cut? Or are these just characters you don't like?
Honestly, I don't see a reason for making Wario more Wario Land oriented, considering Wario Ware is doing pretty good.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Hm... they should cut....

:ultbayonetta::ultcloud::ultcorrin::ultdoc::ultduckhunt::ultgreninja::ultisabelle::ultlittlemac::ultlucario::ultlucina::ultmiifighters::ultolimar::ultdaisy::ultpichu::ultdarkpit::ultpokemontrainer::ultroy::ultchrom::ultryu::ultdarksamus::ultsheik::ultshulk::ultsimon::ultrichter::ultvillager::ultwario::ultwiifittrainer::ultyounglink::ultzss:
That's off the top of my head. If they went further, they should cut:
:ultgnw::ultrob::ultjigglypuff::ultmegaman::ultpacman::ultsonic::ultsnake:
And that's as far as they might be willing to go
Only ones I can't see getting cut is Olimar and Wario.

Same with Jigglypuff. She's among the Sacred 12.

Last edited:
Top Bottom