• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I think I enjoyed the speculation phase more than I do the game itself; I must be getting old...

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
And seriously, how hard is it to realize that we all just want Subspace Emissary with actual Nintendo worlds? It's not rocket science, Sakurai.
It's not rocket science... it's a logistical nightmare. Everything can look easy for an outside party.

What people liked about SSE was not the side scrolling platforming. It was the story cutscenes featuring interactions with the characters, and that takes a lot of work.
It's better that they trimmed the fat by removing the unnecessary platforming segments and have a single player that is more focused on the actual fighting.

UserKev

Smash Champion
I still agree with that, I really miss Mimikyu speculation, Lyn and Skull Kid. These characters had a really great following for me. The Ashley support, and Dixie Kong support activeness. Something about it, the magic is only so dominant. I wish I handled the Decidueye speculation better, to.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
King K. Rool fans were hoping for a highly viable heavyweight fighter, based on what they've seen during the speculation period. Unfortunately, all they got was disappointment, as he's nothing more than a joke.

Sometimes it just makes you think that the developers intentionally made certain fighters to be plain awful. And the irony is, while people don't find it fun to be using a fighter that's too good, at the same time, there's no fun in using a fighter who just can't win at anything.
...are you trolling?

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Are you referring to the "intentionally bad" statement or the "K. Rool is bad" statement? Because the latter is pretty widely accepted at the moment.
The overall premise that K Rool fans are ungrateful that K Rool got in at all.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
The overall premise that K Rool fans are ungrateful that K Rool got in at all.
The problem is that while people finally got King K. Rool, finding out that he's flat out bad is like a huge insult to them. It's not too different from a video game release that ends up being worse than what people were expecting.

osby

Smash Obsessed
The problem is that while people finally got King K. Rool, finding out that he's flat out bad is like a huge insult to them. It's not too different from a video game release that ends up being worse than what people were expecting.
I disagree, they are nothing alike. A video game's quality is supposed to be over a certain threshold if it wants to meet with its fan base's expectations. But there is no way to make every single character in a fighting game equally good, especially in a roster this large.

Also if people take a fictional character's tournament viability as a personal insult, I think they really need to think about their priorities.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I dunno what it is about K. Rool's appearances that's supposed to lead one to believe he'd be very strong competitively. He uses exploitable, gimmicky tactics in his boss fights, and in spin-off appearances he's slower and stronger than DK. You certainly can't play the "unfaithful" card like people tend to do with characters like Ganondorf. The only character whose poor performance has been even remotely intentional is :pichumelee:. However, big heavy characters have always been better in free-for alls than 1-on-1s, and K. Rool is certainly good at taking potshots while being sturdy enough to withstand retaliation.

Last edited:

OnyanRings

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4662-0014-5533
I dunno what it is about K. Rool's appearances that's supposed to lead one to believe he'd be very strong competitively. He uses exploitable, gimmicky tactics in his boss fights, and in spin-off appearances he's slower and stronger than DK. You certainly can't play the "unfaithful" card like people tend to do with characters like Ganondorf. The only character whose poor performance has been even remotely intentional is :pichumelee:. However, big heavy characters have always been better in free-for alls than 1-on-1s, and K. Rool is certainly good at taking potshots while being sturdy enough to withstand retaliation.
Yeah, K rool is the most "faithful to the original" character in smash. (Along with Simon and Richter.)

Porygon2

Smash Journeyman
Have definitely felt similar things. I think the speculation taps into that playground gossip part of the brain that gets you being a child again. My heart races for a good elite battle, but it's over in five minutes. Speculation about Ridley kept the fanboy synapses firing for years.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
As a member of the "them" of which you speak, I have to fully disagree.
The love put into the design of K Rool is what matters to the people I surrounded myself in his many dark days. As a fan of the character- I was excited to see him treasured in his execution, not to mention the possibility that this could help his overall resurrection.

You know what can change with a simple update? The entirety of what makes a character 'bad.' It legitimately doesnt even matter if you arent on a professional level.

Maybe in my late old twenties I am a stickler for Sakurai's information- but he made a great argument, statistically, as to why forums are incompetent when it comes to opinion of a 'bad' character. If anyone is too low, they will get buffed. It's a nonsensical reason to be frustrated.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
I liked that Ganondorf was in Smash even when he was bottom tier, personally. His viability really didn't affect my enjoyment of the character or the fact that he was represented.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Really, I just don't want the game to try to be a beat-em-up. Fighting the same mooks over and over again is just insufferable to me, and it's not the game I want when I buy Smash Bros. Subspace was incredibly obnoxious trying to navigate when you're just pelted with stupid annoying enemies at every turn. They're not fun to fight. They're fodder. Tedium.

Even if I say it's conceivable that there could be a platforming singleplayer campaign, given that each level was tailored to a specific character (or pool of characters with very similar mobility)... what's the challenge, then? If there are enemies, how do you make them more interesting than beat-em-up fodder? Spend the budget to design fifty thousand unique enemies with unique abilities and behavior? If there are no enemies and you're just navigating obstacles like spikes and pits, why am I playing that in Smash Bros. and not just playing a game that was designed to be a pure platformer?

I just don't see any end that results in a fun, in-depth singleplayer experience, much less one that does so on a reasonable budget.
It could be fixed by having certain RPG-elements into this? Making fights more difficult because the enemies become stronger as you progress? And you can upgrade certain attacks as you go? That's how I would approach this I think.

Xelrog

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW 2367 4933 3404
It could be fixed by having certain RPG-elements into this? Making fights more difficult because the enemies become stronger as you progress? And you can upgrade certain attacks as you go? That's how I would approach this I think.
What do you mean by "more difficult," though? New enemies, new AI behavior? Adding HP and damage to mooks just increases tedium, not difficulty, in my opinion. The enemy has to be fun and dynamic to fight before anything else.

I suppose if they were somehow able to take playable character opponent AI and apply it to every enemy in the game, that would be a start.

Quillion

Smash Hero
Really, I just don't want the game to try to be a beat-em-up. Fighting the same mooks over and over again is just insufferable to me, and it's not the game I want when I buy Smash Bros. Subspace was incredibly obnoxious trying to navigate when you're just pelted with stupid annoying enemies at every turn. They're not fun to fight. They're fodder. Tedium.

Even if I say it's conceivable that there could be a platforming singleplayer campaign, given that each level was tailored to a specific character (or pool of characters with very similar mobility)... what's the challenge, then? If there are enemies, how do you make them more interesting than beat-em-up fodder? Spend the budget to design fifty thousand unique enemies with unique abilities and behavior? If there are no enemies and you're just navigating obstacles like spikes and pits, why am I playing that in Smash Bros. and not just playing a game that was designed to be a pure platformer?

I just don't see any end that results in a fun, in-depth singleplayer experience, much less one that does so on a reasonable budget.
So we have a good solution then: decrease enemy density, and instead balance difficulty more around a balance of enemy terrain and enemy placement.

Also, I'd personally want Melee Adventure x Subspace for the promise of fighting a collection of all Nintendo enemies in a trek through various Nintendo-inspired platforming stages. It doesn't have to be the most polished thing ever to work; hell Kirby games have never had the best level design, and I still love it for playing with the various abilities alone.

And no, Smash Run isn't good enough.

Top Bottom