• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I suggest we call the rage-fueled low percent kill up-b the "shinespark".

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
Not really a serious post, but its fun having little canon inspired names for janky things. I've been calling it that for awhile now, and most people seem to understand what I mean when I say it. It's easier and more fun to say to people rather than always saying "Ya, that was just a rage up-b" every time. I've gotten a couple of tournament wins with it, and its been a really fun tool to scare people with during doubles to boot. I acknowledge its jank, which might be why the corniness of "shinespark" feels so good.

I case any reader doesn't know what I'm talking about, Samus has an insta-gib jank kill when she is in high rage that K-Os around 0-30% depending on your opponent's character. Its partially dependent on their height from the ground, which dash attack sends them at perfectly (although I've also done it from d-throw, as well as catching them raw at the right height, but I wouldn't say either is nearly as reliable as dash attack). Eg; dash attack to up-b.

Last edited:

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
Better yet, I suggest Shinespark to be Samus' Final Smash in the next games.... that would be freaking amazing!
But wow that was a ridiculously early Villager death....

DungeonMaster

Smash Lord
NNID
Dalaeck
I like it! Done.
I got one the other day on a FG Samus of all things. Up-air from ledge -> Up-B shinespark. OMG was he salty, you should have seen the tags I can't repeat here...

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
I had no idea about this, but it makes total sense in terms of game physics. lol That hitbox is blatantly meant to get interrupted, but I guess they just didn't expect it to ever not. We've seen similar jank before, so makes sense Screw Attack has similar stuff.
(You could say... -those guys got... -screwed... Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!)

Now I wonder if you can do similar things at lower rage %s with Dash > U-air > U-air > Screw Attack?.. Hmm...

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I already knew about this. I did it twice on my brother. Just don't call it shinespark. That's not what it is.

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143
I like it! Done.
I got one the other day on a FG Samus of all things. Up-air from ledge -> Up-B shinespark. OMG was he salty, you should have seen the tags I can't repeat here...
Its amazing the things that can be said with 10 letters or less. Some peeps just need to learn to hold that L. :happysheep:

(You could say... -those guys got... -screwed... Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!)
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

White_Pointer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
wh1tepointer
I got this on a Lucas at a tourney once, it was a simple Up B OOS but it got the job done.

I'm not really sure if we should be calling it the "shinespark" though, in the end it's just the screw attack (arguably it's closer to how screw attack should always work). Shinespark in Metroid lore is something entirely different.

Last edited:

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
I got this on a Lucas at a tourney once, it was a simple Up B OOS but it got the job done.

I'm not really sure if we should be calling it the "shinespark" though, in the end it's just the screw attack (arguably it's closer to how screw attack should always work). Shinespark in Metroid lore is something entirely different.
Maybe we should call it the "true Screw Attack".... just like Ryu has his true Shoryuken too :p

KayJay

Smash Ace
NNID
KayJay84
3DS FC
1848-1677-7521
Maybe we should call it the "true Screw Attack".... just like Ryu has his true Shoryuken too :p
It already has a name (since over 1 year?), it's called "killed bug" in the Samus discords.
Some called it "screw you" and "screwed bug" but "killed bug" prevailed.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
You don't necessarily need rage to do it, it's dependent on the angle/timing you hit them with.

I've always just referred to it as the one-inch Screw

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
You don't necessarily need rage to do it, it's dependent on the angle/timing you hit them with.

I've always just referred to it as the one-inch Screw
That was a pretty high up platform kill. From, say, FD, you'd likely need extra knockback from somewhere, since it seems that only the grounded version of Screw Attack works for this, but regardless, I get the point. Which hitbox(es?) clips the opponent is definitely what's important here.

(I also really like the "one-inch screw" as a name. lol ...*Makes a joke about needing just the tip because I'm an awful human being.)

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
I like it! Done.
I think that might've been me...

Ralugi

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Uranium238
I got better. I don’t remember pulling out any tags though.

The_Woebegone_Jackal

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Faver_Jo
3DS FC
4854-6514-7143

Vindicated!

Seriously, "Shinespark" was always the catchiest name for this jank. Beyond my region specifically, I've seen it pop up from time to time in discussions, but ZeRo using the name just feels... good. I'm glad its caught on, because its way more fun to say than anything else.

Thank you, ZeRo, for this petty validation. XD

Top Bottom