• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I suck... How do I get better?

Kuma35

Smash Rookie
So as the title indicates i suck and people on for glory are to difficult for me and it's difficult to actually enjoy the game I love watching competitively. I just don't get how people can read me so easly. And even when i see an opportunity it feels like i feel a delay in my movements (yes i know no johns but still, it feels like my shields come out to late etc.)

Synnett

Alligator Lord
This game has a big flaw. It's really hard to see your mistakes as a player because the mechanics of the game makes it too... tolerant for players' bad habits. I don't play Sm4sh that much, but last time I played against a Dark Pit who constantly dash attacked me. I beat him, and he let out a "it was close!". But it wasn't close at all, this dash attack is genuinely very hard to deal with and he just spammed it. But I couldn't explain what he did wrong, because I couldn't punish it; the game's mechanics wouldn't let me. The fact it's two stocks doesn't help either. I'll list a few habits a bunch of low-level players have, let's see if it can help you.

- Defensive options. Shield and rolls are very strong in this game, but if it's all you do you miss a lot of opportunity in the neutral. (like rolling back when you could've gotten an opening) It's a sacrifice to do for a while, but try to play without those options. You'll understand the neutral better and you'll know when it's best to use those options. (or you end up like that roll to dash attack-spamming Dark Pit player) The safest options won't get you the kill!

- Jumping out of hitstun. You get hit, you panic jump. Simple enough, you put yourself in a bad situation after getting hit. It's hard to see this mistake because you just have to hold a trigger and wiggle the stick back and forth to rather freely get back down. By just landing after getting hit, you strongly hold your position on the ground and in some situations you can even retaliate. But miss all this if you jump.

- See if you have patterns. If you go for a Up Throw to Up Air for example, your opponent is going to know next time and react accordingly. This is about all of your gameplan; if you keep spotdodging in the corner the opponent is going to try to punish it. This is a bit wide of a point, but it is a strong fundamental skill to learn, and it'll take some time. All the best players work on this, it's the base of the game.

Hopefully that helps!

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
Kuma35 Kuma35 For Glory is not the best way to train or get practice. The best way is play local competitive players at a tournament or a smashfest if you can or join a character discord here and ask for matches vs characters that you struggle with. If you need help searching for a local scene trying for them facebook with: "x city/state smash 4/wii u"

Link: https://smashcords.com/smash-4/

If you are looking for resources there are plenty of them available online. Can you describe what problems you are having so it can be easier to help you.

Mgl

Smash Apprentice
If you aren't playing a monkey or a sexy witch your doing it wrong

Magical Tuesday

Smash Rookie
Knowing that you need to get better is already a good place to start.

Character choice doesn't matter nearly as much when you have strong fundamentals. Get in touch with locals if you can. Make some friends, experience other playstyles. As long as you're not afraid to lose you can slowly figure out what you're doing. Everyone who is completely trouncing you on For Glory is reading and acting on experience.

I also think that Squad Strike in Ultimate illustrates a good metric for improvement in fundamentals. A well-rounded player should be fairly versed in at least 3-5 different characters and expand out from there. Within a year, you could understand the game well enough to contend with people who have known Smash since it started.

KiyoXDragon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KiyoXDragon
3DS FC
2981-7067-0666
Switch FC
SW-1752-3317-0324
All the tips here are good just keep practicing and keep learning your characters moves.

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
This applies for a lot of other games too, but I recommend just copying what top players do and use it yourself. (in similar situations) Simply being able to execute the same tech puts you on a much higher level very quickly. After that, play around with what you learned and see where it's good and where it isn't.

For example, if you're playing Cloud and you can't get his SH aerial game down, then you're missing a big part of the character. You can still play him, just you'll have an unnecessarily hard time going about things.

Second, you should try to play the game more often, regardless of the game-type. It's much easier to transition to competitive play as an "experienced casual" (for lack of better words) since you're familiar with how the game feels.

Lastly, set some realistic goals for yourself. Are you looking to beat a friend? Get a 50% win rate in your last 50 games on For Glory? Be the next ZeRo? Beat level 8-9 CPUs consistently?

Whatever they are, you'll need time. Don't feel rushed; winning is a side effect of improving, so that should be your primary goal.

NINTENDO Galaxy

Smash Ace
NNID
NINTEN_Galaxy
3DS FC
2836-0624-6177
Switch FC
SW 0903-5888-6097
I don't think blindly copying a player's tactics is the way to go. If you do that you may not know the reasons why they used such an option and your opponent can notice and punish you for that habit if it becomes predictable or you mess it up.

Dream Cancel

It's just good business
NNID
DreamXX
3DS FC
4571-1273-3502
Switch FC
SW-4309-2808-7588
I don't think blindly copying a player's tactics is the way to go. If you do that you may not know the reasons why they used such an option and your opponent can notice and punish you for that habit if it becomes predictable or you mess it up.
That's true, but it's not like they knew why to begin with. It will at least get them past beginner/novice levels where they're unlikely to get punished for abusing a strong strategy.

alguidrag

Smash Ace
1. Pick a top tier and see videos of otimized play and try to copy until you master it
or
2. Pick a character that you like, see tutorial videos of it until you're good enough to defeat top tier with it

Mgl

Smash Apprentice
Honestly just keep playing the game, tutorials and stuff are nice but experience is the best teacher

alguidrag

Smash Ace
In smash 3ds I had 1 week of train before a local tournament, I got third because I had studied my characters even before I got the game

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
If you're bad at this game, don't worry. Smash 4 is super bad at helping people get better, it's not your fault. Just play and have fun and discover tricks on your own. Besides, For Glory is probably the worst place to try to get better at. Just wait until Ultimate comes out, Ultimate's system is way more balanced anyway.

Best of luck!

alguidrag

Smash Ace
In my case I played just vs lv9 CPU and watched some videos, got Third place in my first local, until today this is my main method of train and I'm the champion of my city

KiyoXDragon

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KiyoXDragon
3DS FC
2981-7067-0666
Switch FC
SW-1752-3317-0324
In my case I played just vs lv9 CPU and watched some videos, got Third place in my first local, until today this is my main method of train and I'm the champion of my city
OMG. Maybe I should try this method.

alguidrag

Smash Ace
Its not a good method, but I find good to make you know better your character like...
focus more on your character positives than your enemies negatives

The best way to improve is to play consistently, play people who are better than you whenever possible, seek criticism within reason, learning from other players and videos whether that be on YouTube or Twitch, and just have fun.

I’m going to have to disagree with the notion that Smash 4 doesn’t teach you how to play, or that players shouldn’t practice and just wait for Ultimate. But I’ll address the first part about the game not teaching you how to play.

That is a polarizing mentality, especially since the games from Brawl moving forward have functioned the same fundamentally, but the implication that the game should be teaching you how to play means that you are reliant on playing the game mechanically, as opposed to mentally. Yes, some of Smash 4’s mechanics are sketchy, like DI deduction, knock back functioning very strangely for some moves, down throw to up air being everyone’s combo starter. These things leave a lot to be desired, but the good players remain consistent from each smash iteration because there is less of an emphasis of playing smash at a technical level and more on a mental level: mind games, baits, momentum, reads, option selecting, tournament nerves, etc. Simply by playing smash and trying to build upon your foundation you will do well.

There are two types of players I see in tournaments. The ones who are in top 32/16/8 consistently, and the ones that enter more than the top players but still go 0-2 in bracket. Odds are these players don’t emphasize understanding opposing players, get frustrated at their performance, leave bitter, don’t try to understand what they could have changed, and talk to their other members of the 0-2 crew. This is due to not using their experiences wisely or seeking peers to connect with. It can honestly even be as simple as making friends with players. Players in the NBA and NFL often hang out with their team mates to build rapport, practice, build upon each others understanding. This creates synergy and helps both players improve. Nothing is created in a vaccume after all.

Either way, you should attend smash fests, tournaments, and yeah play for glory. People are bashing it by saying players aren’t good, but I’ve seen people who say that get bopped because they don’t know how to play against inexperienced players or can’t punish properly and just do a fancier version of what the “lesser” player is doing. You may find some good people, you may find some bad, but if you can play against both adequately, then you’re improving. You don’t always have to stunt, just try to win first lol.

Good luck. Keep playing!

Jomosensual

Smash Champion
Just keep playing is the advice I'll give you, but also don't be content to being a passenger on your own ride. Watch what other players do to beat you and try to start implementing that in your game. And like others have said, the mental game is big. A lot of that comes with experience though, and if you can get some advice from better players. I play a lot with my 2 brothers, and while none of us are going to walk on to a tournament and win the whole thing, we've become really good at reading each other, figuring out tendencies, and slowly adding different techniques. It's not all going to come at once so don't rush things. Pick a weak point of yours and start there, then focus on building up other parts of your game. It's not going to be easy and I can't promise you that you won't get your ass kicked every now and again, but I used to get destroyed constantly online and locally and now I can at least hold my own a bit

Top Bottom