• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I seriously can't figure out what to do with Falco or anything in the game

Kik0

Smash Rookie
I wanna play Falco, hell I just wanna enjoy playing this damn game. I suck at everything, spacing, dash dancing, jump cancel grabs, shielding, edge guarding, recovering, neutral (especially neutral), proper l-cancels, literally everything. Except for washdashing, which I seem to be unnaturally good at, not that I can do anything with it. I've already tried playing all the other viable characters (except for Fox since he's everything I hate about Melee) and none of them feel as good as Falco does. So, I'm asking, hell I'm begging, for some help that isn't just 'get Uncle Punch.'

D

Deleted member

You should git gud scrub lol SMASH that like button!

But seriously, Practice neutral. Its integral.

Kik0

Smash Rookie
Okay, but HOW? Seriously never had this much trouble improving at a game. When I was 12 I learned how to combo like a god in DMC3 in like a week, and it never went away after years of not touching a DMC game. But Melee, it's like I'm Sisyphus or something. I've been trying to improve on and off for like 2 years now, and as far as I can tell the only way to improve is to get smacked 3 hours a day, everyday until something clicks. But that's a massive time sink for something that makes me wanna drink paint thinner most of the time when I play other people that aren't the most casual of casuals. And CPUs, even the 20XX ones, are too stupid to learn anything viable from. Details, I need examples, not esoteric suggestions because at this point point I'm ready to call it quits

D

Deleted member

Okay, but HOW? Seriously never had this much trouble improving at a game. When I was 12 I learned how to combo like a god in DMC3 in like a week, and it never went away after years of not touching a DMC game. But Melee, it's like I'm Sisyphus or something. I've been trying to improve on and off for like 2 years now, and as far as I can tell the only way to improve is to get smacked 3 hours a day, everyday until something clicks. But that's a massive time sink for something that makes me wanna drink paint thinner most of the time when I play other people that aren't the most casual of casuals. And CPUs, even the 20XX ones, are too stupid to learn anything viable from. Details, I need examples, not esoteric suggestions because at this point point I'm ready to call it quits
Always use the most ranged and quick attacks in your characters arsenal during nuetral. Don't play too aggressive, but don't camp.

Scroll

Smash Ace
Premium
I think a good way for you to improve at the moment is to change the way you play to 100% predictive mode. While doing this know it won't give the best results or that it will stay this way. Know it's gonna be temporary.
With this mindset, practice l-cancels on a stationary cpu.
Dash jump rising nair
Dash jump late nair
Rising nair in place
And late nair in place
Repeat with all aerials

Mechanically grind them till you're happy with the result.

Now when you play against people predict where they are gonna be and execute say "Dash jump late nair" including the l-cancel timing you grinded.
If you guessed correctly you shouldn miss your l-cancel.
And if they managed to not be where you predicted, then accept the missed l-cancel and let it go. Accept you're getting punished for it.
Stand by your prediction.

flyboy__

Smash Cadet
If I were you, I'd just take an hour of my life and go into training mode. Move around and do some aerials/lasers and get a real feel for the character. If you run head first into your buddy trying to look like Mango then it's not gonna work out. Keep playing and get a flow for your character. Also, watch lots of vods of the pros and try to emulate them. These two things, besides practicing tech skill and playing against real people, have made me grow as a player faster than those around me.

RockLee666

Smash Rookie
Literally just play the game a lot dude... like a ****ing lot cus falcos the hardest char in the game. No disrespect but like dude its obvious, even cpus r fine just practice movement and shadowboxing

Dbrad

Smash Rookie
If you don't enjoy the process of what it takes to get better or can't learn the think critically then getting better at melee might not be for you and that's okay. When you say fox is everything you hate about melee what do you mean? As far as getting better there are essential videos and threads floating around that are great resources for learning everything form the fundamentals to more "esoteric" topics. https://www.meleelibrary.com/ this would be a great spot to start. If you don't have the fundamentals down then there is no need to practice more advanced stuff. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K6yiszJc6y8 Here is a video I look at when I reach a plateau. Are you practicing enough to have your movement down? Are you playing enough in a tournament atmosphere? Are you recognizing what went wrong in a situation? Are you spending time in the lab to think of solutions so that you can counter options, mix ups, combos, edge gaurds, playing proactively. Are you implementing what you learned?

Top Bottom