• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I See All" - Palutena Video Thread

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081

Me vs Ally, I feel like I could've won that set.
Just a few observations that may help you out:

Use autoreticle 99% less (something I'm also working on)

Apply more pressure when edgeguarding since we have sooo many tools for doing so. A well timed Dair will trade with Marios Up B, spiking him and hitting you up back to the stage. Watch my set with KidG (also Mario) a few posts above to see what I mean!

Youre committing to Palutenas terrible turnaround animation alot. It makes sense as a sort of fake-out movement option, but you can achieve the same thing with small dashes and short hops backwards, or just small dashes into shield. That awful animation locks you in for what feels like 5 seconds, and when you have other, lower commitment options, its completely avoidable.

Also there were a few times where you were having trouble securing the kill. My advice is if you have rage, and the opponent is near kill %, abuse the almighty Bair. Down throw into RAR Bair is a realllly nice mixup/kill setup ive been working into my game lately. Since theyre likely already conditioned to DI away and avoid the Nair/Up Air, this is a very effective tactic later in the game.

Overall keep fighting the good fight. Theres a lot of good stuff going on here and together we can elevate Palutenas game to show people that shes not just some trash-tier without customs.

Last edited:

soru

#2 Best Palutena in Canada
Just a few observations that may help you out:

Use autoreticle 99% less (something I'm also working on)

Apply more pressure when edgeguarding since we have sooo many tools for doing so. A well timed Dair will trade with Marios Up B, spiking him and hitting you up back to the stage. Watch my set with KidG (also Mario) a few posts above to see what I mean!

Youre committing to Palutenas terrible turnaround animation alot. It makes sense as a sort of fake-out movement option, but you can achieve the same thing with small dashes and short hops backwards, or just small dashes into shield. That awful animation locks you in for what feels like 5 seconds, and when you have other, lower commitment options, its completely avoidable.

Also there were a few times where you were having trouble securing the kill. My advice is if you have rage, and the opponent is near kill %, abuse the almighty Bair. Down throw into RAR Bair is a realllly nice mixup/kill setup ive been working into my game lately. Since theyre likely already conditioned to DI away and avoid the Nair/Up Air, this is a very effective tactic later in the game.

Overall keep fighting the good fight. Theres a lot of good stuff going on here and together we can elevate Palutenas game to show people that shes not just some trash-tier without customs.
Thanks for the advice. Yeah, edgeguarding and securing the kill are the two things I'm struggling with the most.

I usually use dthrow bair and all these throw combos but I was so nervous since it's Ally, no idea why I kept using bthrow/fthrow :x

realmwars

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RealmwarssII

Just had this match today. The minute I saw Fox show up I nearly panicked, knowing that fox is Palutena's worst match up. I thought it was going to go horribly, but to my surprise I some how won.

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081

Just had this match today. The minute I saw Fox show up I nearly panicked, knowing that fox is Palutena's worst match up. I thought it was going to go horribly, but to my surprise I some how won.
Good stuff. Fox is definitely not our worst matchup, and this video showcases why. His 2 recovery options are extremely predictable and we can edgeguard him very easily. Literally all of our aerials can beat out his recovery with proper timing, AND the charged upsmash makes using his side b onto the stage VERY risky. The biggest thing we need to look out for in this matchup is overcommitting to our less safe options since foxes kill moves come out so quickly.

Ps Never use counter <3

realmwars

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RealmwarssII
Good stuff. Fox is definitely not our worst matchup, and this video showcases why. His 2 recovery options are extremely predictable and we can edgeguard him very easily. Literally all of our aerials can beat out his recovery with proper timing, AND the charged upsmash makes using his side b onto the stage VERY risky. The biggest thing we need to look out for in this matchup is overcommitting to our less safe options since foxes kill moves come out so quickly.

Ps Never use counter <3
Really? I read somewhere on the boards that Fox is Pally's worst matchup, since he's such a fast rush down character and has really good frame data.

Also funny you say "Never use counter" because counter actually won me a match against a good Dr.Mario. I fell down, he used up-smash and I countered last minute.

Last edited:

MzNetta

Oh no she betta don't
NNID
ParisNicholson
3DS FC
4940-5470-2081
Really? I read somewhere on the boards that Fox is Pally's worst matchup, since he's such a fast rush down character and has really good frame data.

Also funny you say "Never use counter" because counter actually won me a match against a good Dr.Mario. I fell down, he used up-smash and I countered last minute.
Well, if you read it somewhere on the boards, who am I to argue? It's not a great matchup by any means, but, in my experience we have a harder time with other characters.

But in all seriousness you can't take much you read on this board at face value. There isn't much activity, and unfortunately a lot of the more active posters don't produce any real tournament results. Players like Prince Ramen (Best Palutena in FL and probably beyond) have almost no presence here. If you read that a matchup is a certain way, play it and practice it out and decide for yourself. Then come back and post your findings :D

Last edited:

realmwars

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RealmwarssII
Well, if you read it somewhere on the boards, who am I to argue? It's not a great matchup by any means, but, in my experience we have a harder time with other characters.

But in all seriousness you can't take much you read on this board at face value. There isn't much activity, and unfortunately a lot of the more active posters don't produce any real tournament results. Players like Prince Ramen (Best Palutena in FL and probably beyond) have almost no presence here. If you read that a matchup is a certain way, play it and practice it out and decide for yourself. Then come back and post your findings :D
I'll keep this in mind, thanks. Well, off to take down every rush down character in Smash with the Goddess.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord

Me vs Ally, I feel like I could've won that set.
Damn, you did great!

Some things I notice from watching Ally and Zinoto play each other a lot:

Bait mario's grab harder. There were clear times where Ally really wants a grab and even a player of his calibur will want the grab. Like when you two were at low % in the final stock of Game 2, he whiffed a couple grabs as evidence. Something you can easily do with good reward is run up, then jump back and backair because they will try to run up and grab you out of your dash or grab you out of your shield dash. Or you could run up and pivot smash if he's at high % and it will kill. Ally himself does this a ton vs Zinoto in the many times they've played (although as Mario instead of jumping up and bairing he just runs up, then does the skid/turnaround animation to slightly change his hurtbox, and then punishes with a grab or whatever).

I was surprised to realize that simple baits like this were that easy and that effective. Even watching players like ZeRo vs Mr. R at G3 do super simple baits (only ZeRo's diddy baiting mr r to grab). I was thinking how could it be possible such simple baits work, and so many times in a row, to top level players? Surely they'd recognize the bait after 1 or 2 times and adapt and try to maybe bait the bait...?

Basically I think my conclusion is that when someone is looking for something in neutral (like a grab to start a big combo), they are inherently tunnel visioning to some degree. They are putting aside their ability to react to and think of other things for increased reaction to opportunities that may get them the grab or whatever they want. So simple baits work really well when you know what they want. And by using simple baits you can seriously nullify the opponent from getting the things they really want (or they'll be stubborn or optimistic and keep going for it as top players like Mr. R do very commonly). BTW for reference: https://youtu.be/MZL7LDmOf3U?t=164
Note how ZeRo baits Mr. R so many ****ing times at the beginning into going for a grab with just empty hops, walking, and sometimes dashing. Look at 2:55 ish. In neutral ZeRo telegraphs to Mr. R a pattern: ZeRo will move forward, shield, then short hop backwards. He knows Mr. R is going to want to look for a grab, so Mr. R doesn't process it as a bait. What he sees instead is an opportunity to grab as he knows ZeRo will keep doing that shield. After telegraphing the same movement (move forward shield, empty hop backwards) Mr. R bites it and ZeRo punishes with fair after jumping. He does it too towards the beginning of game 2. Honestly it's really weird but the only plausible interpretation to this for me is that when someone wants something, they will inherently tunnel vision and have poorer judgement of the overall picture in neutral, and that simple baits really are that good to do. Zinoto said that "It's not just Mr. R it's all sheiks". So it's not just him being greedy, it can be applied to any character. The more drastic the reward for something (fox dash attack or uptilt, sheik or mario's grab, etc.), the better it is to go try to bait it.

The second thing I've been thinking about recently from asking Zinoto for advice and such is "how to avoid being in disadvantage state" and "how did I get in this bad situation to begin with". When I watch Ally or Zinoto, they are both greedy about landing on the stage, because the reward is worth it compared to forfeiting stage control and grabbing the ledge. Both of them will aggressively try to get back to the stage in neutral, almost always with falling airdodges.

You probably noticed Ally did a ton of airdodging though it's actually pretty hard to catch them since you can mix up your fall speed as well and whether you want to land on a platform or not. But you could stay under him better and be more ready to catch the landing with a dash attack. Ally told me something good for mario that he and others do is airdodge, then do something out of it like dair or other aerial (he did that vs you too). But since we have invincible bair and dash attack, we have something really useful for stopping that and forcing them to just accept grabbing the ledge.

Anyway these are some of my recent thoughts and observations from good players.

Last edited:

soru

#2 Best Palutena in Canada
Damn, you did great!

Some things I notice from watching Ally and Zinoto play each other a lot:

Bait mario's grab harder. There were clear times where Ally really wants a grab and even a player of his calibur will want the grab. Like when you two were at low % in the final stock of Game 2, he whiffed a couple grabs as evidence. Something you can easily do with good reward is run up, then jump back and backair because they will try to run up and grab you out of your dash or grab you out of your shield dash. Or you could run up and pivot smash if he's at high % and it will kill. Ally himself does this a ton vs Zinoto in the many times they've played (although as Mario instead of jumping up and bairing he just runs up, then does the skid/turnaround animation to slightly change his hurtbox, and then punishes with a grab or whatever).

I was surprised to realize that simple baits like this were that easy and that effective. Even watching players like ZeRo vs Mr. R at G3 do super simple baits (only ZeRo's diddy baiting mr r to grab). I was thinking how could it be possible such simple baits work, and so many times in a row, to top level players? Surely they'd recognize the bait after 1 or 2 times and adapt and try to maybe bait the bait...?

Basically I think my conclusion is that when someone is looking for something in neutral (like a grab to start a big combo), they are inherently tunnel visioning to some degree. They are putting aside their ability to react to and think of other things for increased reaction to opportunities that may get them the grab or whatever they want. So simple baits work really well when you know what they want. And by using simple baits you can seriously nullify the opponent from getting the things they really want (or they'll be stubborn or optimistic and keep going for it as top players like Mr. R do very commonly). BTW for reference: https://youtu.be/MZL7LDmOf3U?t=164
Note how ZeRo baits Mr. R so many ****ing times at the beginning into going for a grab with just empty hops, walking, and sometimes dashing. Look at 2:55 ish. In neutral ZeRo telegraphs to Mr. R a pattern: ZeRo will move forward, shield, then short hop backwards. He knows Mr. R is going to want to look for a grab, so Mr. R doesn't process it as a bait. What he sees instead is an opportunity to grab as he knows ZeRo will keep doing that shield. After telegraphing the same movement (move forward shield, empty hop backwards) Mr. R bites it and ZeRo punishes with fair after jumping. He does it too towards the beginning of game 2. Honestly it's really weird but the only plausible interpretation to this for me is that when someone wants something, they will inherently tunnel vision and have poorer judgement of the overall picture in neutral, and that simple baits really are that good to do. Zinoto said that "It's not just Mr. R it's all sheiks". So it's not just him being greedy, it can be applied to any character. The more drastic the reward for something (fox dash attack or uptilt, sheik or mario's grab, etc.), the better it is to go try to bait it.

The second thing I've been thinking about recently from asking Zinoto for advice and such is "how to avoid being in disadvantage state" and "how did I get in this bad situation to begin with". When I watch Ally or Zinoto, they are both greedy about landing on the stage, because the reward is worth it compared to forfeiting stage control and grabbing the ledge. Both of them will aggressively try to get back to the stage in neutral, almost always with falling airdodges.

You probably noticed Ally did a ton of airdodging though it's actually pretty hard to catch them since you can mix up your fall speed as well and whether you want to land on a platform or not. But you could stay under him better and be more ready to catch the landing with a dash attack. Ally told me something good for mario that he and others do is airdodge, then do something out of it like dair or other aerial (he did that vs you too). But since we have invincible bair and dash attack, we have something really useful for stopping that and forcing them to just accept grabbing the ledge.

Anyway these are some of my recent thoughts and observations from good players.
Holy cow that wall of text! That's actually some really good advice. I'll keep it in mind, thanks a lot!

SonicNKnux

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SonicNKnux
3DS FC
2251-4823-9526
I'm Back~ (But where did I go?)
I've been playing Pokken Tournament since it came out over a month ago (I think by now?). I main Braixen, She's both similar and different from Palutena.

Pokken is not a game where you should rush in on your opponent; you can try and autopilot, but the better players will see through you and quickly adjust accordingly. There is an RPS (rock/paper/scissors) system similar to Smash. You get quite a solid advantage if you're able to make consecutive reads and the game can get quite strategic. I understand more why people like slower-paced fighters like Street Fighter. It's quite a nice change of pace from here on Smash!

Coming back to Smash (and of course relearning some controls) I was sooo surprised to see just how often people telgraph their moves when attacking Palutena, and I mean a LOT. So many people try to autopilot (on FG at least, good and not-as-good players). Also, stages feel HUGE now. There's so much room to move around! Palutena's counter, of all things, is quickly becoming my favorite tool to punish with (It could still be faster. If I played Marth things would get funny) simply because I know attacks are coming. Baiting has also gotten considerably easier. I have noticed that I'm grabbing a lot less frequently though (as reckless grabbing is highly punishable in Pokken). I have noticed that after a few counter-filled losses people will take out Lucas (rope snake). Fox is still Fox, I still feel like he's a much harder matchup than Sheik, who's looking considerably more even to me the more I play her (Sheik has to play a way more safe game on Palutena).

I shall edit this post later today with some post-Pokken videos (Like day 1-5 stuff, I just got back. There will be some flops, like using the D-pad to move instead of the L-stick) if it's not too long already!

I will also try to attend Combo Breaker in May (as it's really close) and try not to drown :O

Last edited:

realmwars

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RealmwarssII
I'm Back~ (But where did I go?)
I've been playing Pokken Tournament since it came out over a month ago (I think by now?). I main Braixen, She's both similar and different from Palutena.

Pokken is not a game where you should rush in on your opponent; you can try and autopilot, but the better players will see through you and quickly adjust accordingly. There is an RPS (rock/paper/scissors) system similar to Smash. You get quite a solid advantage if you're able to make consecutive reads and the game can get quite strategic. I understand more why people like slower-paced fighters like Street Fighter. It's quite a nice change of pace from here on Smash!

Coming back to Smash (and of course relearning some controls) I was sooo surprised to see just how often people telgraph their moves when attacking Palutena, and I mean a LOT. So many people try to autopilot (on FG at least, good and not-as-good players). Also, stages feel HUGE now. There's so much room to move around! Palutena's counter, of all things, is quickly becoming my favorite tool to punish with (It could still be faster. If I played Marth things would get funny) simply because I know attacks are coming. Baiting has also gotten considerably easier. I have noticed that I'm grabbing a lot less frequently though (as reckless grabbing is highly punishable in Pokken). I have noticed that after a few counter-filled losses people will take out Lucas (rope snake). Fox is still Fox, I still feel like he's a much harder matchup than Sheik, who's looking considerably more even to me the more I play her (Sheik has to play a way more safe game on Palutena).

I shall edit this post later today with some post-Pokken videos (Like day 1-5 stuff, I just got back. There will be some flops, like using the D-pad to move instead of the L-stick) if it's not too long already!

I will also try to attend Combo Breaker in May (as it's really close) and try not to drown :O
I like Palutena's counter because of the range it has. Some moves don't even need to physically connect and her counter will still activate (Countered Corrin's f-smash at the very tip and my counter still hit Corrin.)

Also mind telling me how the Palutena vs Sheik match-up is like? I know someone irl who uses Sheik and he whoops my Ness so hard I might need to use another character to counter.

Last edited:

SonicNKnux

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SonicNKnux
3DS FC
2251-4823-9526
Also mind telling me how the Palutena vs Sheik match-up is like? I know someone irl who uses Sheik and he whoops my Ness so hard I might need to use another character to counter.
Sheik's only getting in on Palutena one of three ways: through grabs, fairs/nairs or needles. With the decreased range on Sheik's needles this helps a lot more when fighting at range. You typically should use jab against approaches, reflect on aerials and fair and d-tilt when fighting close or mid-range. If you aren't playing recklessly you really only need to watch out for juggles. Bair and nair also go a long way.

I feel Zero Suit is a harder matchup because of the range on plasma whip moves like airgrab and nair.
Fox can be harder simply because he can attack and retreat often before Palutena can recover.
Sonic varies but you should play around him most of the time for sure.
Typically, if you can prevent Diddy from grabbing you a lot you're in a good place. You definitely want to fight him for his banana though.

That said, the Sheik player knows this too, so unless THEY play recklessly matches might get long.

Here are some vids, as promised:
This was a guy who had a really good Falcon (the replay went over by 2 seconds, lol). He KO'd me at 84% with a raged Raptor Boost at 147%, but I think he felt he should switch. I don't know if he was heated over his earlier performance and couldn't concentrate as hard, but this was the result.

Lucas tends to show up when my opponents are finding it hard to hit me. He had some telegraphs I would not have caught if I didn't spend all that time playing another game.

I panicked after 2:59 and started taking hits because I really wanted to hurry and finish to be able to put the vid up for you all.

Similar situation with Ness after 2:59 (you can hear her go "Ooh!" before countering Ness's recovery btw). What I noticed in both fights was that I read the recovery but charged U-smash too early and too far from the edge giving them time to react.

Countering in general has gotten a lot easier.
I have a few more in the playlist here:
I had to crack a smile here.

Last edited:

realmwars

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RealmwarssII
Sheik's only getting in on Palutena one of three ways: through grabs, fairs/nairs or needles. With the decreased range on Sheik's needles this helps a lot more when fighting at range. You typically should use jab against approaches, reflect on aerials and fair and d-tilt when fighting close or mid-range. If you aren't playing recklessly you really only need to watch out for juggles. Bair and nair also go a long way.

I feel Zero Suit is a harder matchup because of the range on plasma whip moves like airgrab and nair.
Fox can be harder simply because he can attack and retreat often before Palutena can recover.
Sonic varies but you should play around him most of the time for sure.
Typically, if you can prevent Diddy from grabbing you a lot you're in a good place. You definitely want to fight him for his banana though.

That said, the Sheik player knows this too, so unless THEY play recklessly matches might get long.

Here are some vids, as promised:
This was a guy who had a really good Falcon (the replay went over by 2 seconds, lol). He KO'd me at 84% with a raged Raptor Boost at 147%, but I think he felt he should switch. I don't know if he was heated over his earlier performance and couldn't concentrate as hard, but this was the result.

Lucas tends to show up when my opponents are finding it hard to hit me. He had some telegraphs I would not have caught if I didn't spend all that time playing another game.

I panicked after 2:59 and started taking hits because I really wanted to hurry and finish to be able to put the vid up for you all.

Similar situation with Ness after 2:59 (you can hear her go "Ooh!" before countering Ness's recovery btw). What I noticed in both fights was that I read the recovery but charged U-smash too early and too far from the edge giving them time to react.

Countering in general has gotten a lot easier.
I have a few more in the playlist here:
I had to crack a smile here.

Not going to lie, I NEVER actually thought of using reflect to push away edge guarders. I generally don't use it against people unless it's to reflect a projectile, mainly because any other time I think to use it as a wall my opponent just goes through it anyway. I'll need to try this out.

As for the Sheik player I mentioned earlier, yeah the guy is a really good Sheik player. He's very consistent with connection f-tilt to f-air to bouncing fish a lot. He also mains Zero Suit Samus too and he LOVES jumping around with the down-B that for some reason up-tilt doesn't want to intercept.

Lastly, d-tilt, also being honest the only tilt of hers I actually care to use often is up-tilt just because of the hit box range on it. Anytime I use f-tilt or d-tilt it ends up hurting more than anything. I just need to know the right times to use the other tilts.

weare6789

Smash Rookie
NNID
weare6789
3DS FC
1075-0742-8614
Here is a situational kill confirm that I found and thought I'd share. It's at 59 seconds in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiKy80MOhYY

If you grab on the smashville platform while it is moving the direction you are facing, you can d-throw and runoff double jump up air if they DI away. I got this in winers finals at my college tourney.

sjb.dario

Smash Apprentice
NNID
greatdario
Here is a situational kill confirm that I found and thought I'd share. It's at 59 seconds in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiKy80MOhYY

If you grab on the smashville platform while it is moving the direction you are facing, you can d-throw and runoff double jump up air if they DI away. I got this in winers finals at my college tourney.
Lol, I love doing that myself.

I would also like to add to this that you can do something similar on Dreamland 64, as well. If you grab someone while facing the ledge and the tree begins to blow at your direction, your down-throw -> u-air combo becomes more reliable.

I'm guessing you can do something similar in one of the platforms of T&C as well. But, I haven't done it myself, so I can't say with certainty if this is possible..

4chanJoe

Smash Cadet
NNID
4chinJoe
Been away for a while but I got back to a weekly tourney schedule finally! And I got on stream! These vods were from last week when I placed 9th. I need to fix my play against sword characters, my shield tech has gotten so sloppy lol.

Rran

Smash Apprentice
Hahha quite a decisive victory over that Fox in the first game!

snook

Smash Apprentice

(apologies for the poor quality filming)
Hi haven't really posted in the palutena threads before but love playing her!

Thought I'd post this incase nobody else has tried doing it before, works on a handful of characters so it's mainly just for style points.

Has anyone else dabbled with her pps? I think she can look super hype when played optimally.

Last edited:

syklone

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThePerson14
This was me playing earlier today:

Personally I think in this game I played pretty poorly (falco also fell off once for no reason...). It was probably one of my worst games against this guy but it was the only one that for whatever reason I cared to save the replay of, so....

Last edited:

realmwars

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RealmwarssII
I don't think you did TOO terribly, I mean to be fair the Star Fox characters are a tad difficult for Palutena to fight against just because of their combo game and Palutena's lack of a combo breaker so there's that to take into conversation.

My only suggestion would be to not get too aggressive with either Fox or Falco since they have a number of moves to punish people who get too aggressive and start being aggressive them selves.

syklone

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThePerson14
I don't think you did TOO terribly, I mean to be fair the Star Fox characters are a tad difficult for Palutena to fight against just because of their combo game and Palutena's lack of a combo breaker so there's that to take into conversation.

My only suggestion would be to not get too aggressive with either Fox or Falco since they have a number of moves to punish people who get too aggressive and start being aggressive them selves.
Thanks for the feedback, now I feel a little good cuz I beat this guys falco every game I played him, haha.

The thing is my style is a tad bit aggressive, probably due to my days of playing Project M. In SSB4 a defensive strategy seems to work better, but well...

snook

Smash Apprentice
Felt like you were playing too aggressive in general and throwing out some unsafe moves like short hop Nair and ftilt.

Overall though it wasn't that bad a performance, maybe just try to cut back on unsafe approaches, bait out approaches with dtilt maybe or pp jabs and work on counter attacking more as I feel that kind of playstyle compliments her moveset.

syklone

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThePerson14
Felt like you were playing too aggressive in general and throwing out some unsafe moves like short hop Nair and ftilt.

Overall though it wasn't that bad a performance, maybe just try to cut back on unsafe approaches, bait out approaches with dtilt maybe or pp jabs and work on counter attacking more as I feel that kind of playstyle compliments her moveset.
Yeah, the biggest mistake I made was the short hop Nairs for sure, I'm used to doing that for other characters like Mewtwo and C. Falcon, which is why I sometimes accidentally do it with Palutena too. I've mostly stopped that now, though. And yeah, my play style is a bit aggressive.

Thanks for the feedback^^

Last edited:

syklone

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThePerson14
Two more games where I played considerable better:

realmwars

Smash Apprentice
NNID
RealmwarssII

tfw someone tries to Kirbycide you and you get a stage spike off them instead.

SonicNKnux

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SonicNKnux
3DS FC
2251-4823-9526
Some vids from today, feed back would be cool

Match 1: See how Greninja tries to chase you around the stage on foot and goes for grabs? You're rolling a bit too much, use more short hops and reflects if you want to maintain some distance. Nice f-air kill though.

Match 2: A little more spacing with aerials. You keep trying to go for grabs, which isn't all bad but you missed a lot of them. Before grabbing jab him first like at 1:56. Double jabs will work too. Also, space with d-tilt. This Cloud decided to grab or mash to unload attacks whenever you were close to him on foot. I don't think he used Crescent Slash at all. If you stopped in front a bit before reaching him and d-tilted he would've attacked right into them. When he starts backing off like in 2:18, challenge with b-air or autoreticle like what you did. Once again, good kills.

Generally more retreating f-airs would be nice; if your opponents retreat at all it's an Autoreticle opportunity.

Last edited:

SonicNKnux

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SonicNKnux
3DS FC
2251-4823-9526
Gueh... fricken update...
I was about to upload my vs Sheik and ZSS videos... oh well.

Maybe the above can help you, Strong-Arm Strong-Arm .

Vs Fox: I love how the music stops right before the spike. Even the game knew he screwed up.
Once again, it's impotant to be patient and play around Fox. After my damage gets high enough you know he's looking for the u-smash. Also, after he caught me in the 50-ish damage juggle he really couldn't put much more combo damage on me until after he took my stock, so keep this in mind.
I did make some mistakes; I felt he might've been able to end the game with an u-smash after I missed predicted an on-stage recovery with f-smash.

For those who need help with the Jigglypuff matchup.

Last edited:

snook

Smash Apprentice
Gueh... fricken update...
I was about to upload my vs Sheik and ZSS videos... oh well.

Vs Fox: I love how the music stops right before the spike. Even the game knew he screwed up.
Once again, it's impotant to be patient and play around Fox. After my damage gets high enough you know he's looking for the u-smash. Also, after he caught me in the 50-ish damage juggle he really couldn't put much more combo damage on me until after he took my stock, so keep this in mind.
I did make some mistakes; I felt he might've been able to end the game with an u-smash after I missed predicted an on-stage recovery with f-smash.

Some notes about your fox match I feel like you should take into account for future matches (just what I noticed anyway.)
Never run into rapid jabs for a grab or something, dash attack can beat it out but A.R would be nice safe damage.

Don't do single jab setups at low percents, he falls too fast and can punish if he's aware of this (or just spamming attack), rapid jabs are better in these situations.

Harass them offstage with A.R more , can occasionally steal a jump leading to an easy edge guard situation, or force them to make an unsafe recovery. (noticed you did it once so you already know about this, but try to actively think of doing it)

When you're backed into a corner you don't really use bair that much. Bair is pretty useful for beating out aerial approaches and can be a nice mixup.

When coming down from the opponent juggling you, you can mix it up by using a falling nair or bair, the auto-cancel window is around the height of a full-hop for nair if you want to follow it up with a counter attack.

Instead of running, stopping and then jabbing you can mix it up with a pivot slide into a jab (run backwards, pivot, as soon as the pivot animation is about to end let go of the stick and jab.) Again this is a good mixup and less telegraphed.

And just to comment on your thoughts about the matchup, I feel like you should still be weary of fox's damage output because he can still stack it up quite easily even without combos. He's completely rush down so never feel in the comfort zone as long as he's on the stage.
Being patient is important but you can let him just play his game at the same time. Being a palutena player, you know that we get most of our good damage output out of grabs (or at least it's the most optimal way of doing so), so we want to strike some kind of fear into them to make them shield more in certain situations (like getting up from ledge, maybe coming down from the air etc...) So stay safe and in your zone, but throw in a couple pokes every now and again without being prompted to counter attack.

Other than those things I like your play style, and any errors you made may could just be because you're playing online :p
One thing I'd like to possibly see more is warp setups for edge play (considering there are no platforms), and more edge guarding attempts in general.

Hope this makes sense haha. And feel free to disagree with me if you want, just throwing in my two cents about the replay :)

Also rip update, all my replays die before anyone can even look at them too lol.

Dan_O

Smash Rookie
Here's a tourney match from April that my friend managed to upload before last night's patch:

Last edited:
Top Bottom