• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I really want to solo-main Roy... give any and all advice on what I'm getting myself into..

Draconic_Kamui

Smash Rookie
So heres the thing, I never really liked Roy at all until Smash 4 and even then wasn't hyped for him when he released as DLC (I guess I was more hype for Lucas because he should have been in the base roster IMO) And honestly the only reason I bought him at all was because I couldn't afford Lucas + Ryu so I settled with Roy as an after thought
After I found out that Lucas wasn't that good and Ness was still better that following month I finally played Roy and realized he was the most fun character in Smash 4 to me and I really like what they did to his design, and honestly he became my favorite character and I was a Marth guy all this time but i honestly love all the fire emblem characters. Ironically Corrin was my most wanted DLC character who I expected to be my favorite but nope the character I never liked until this iteration is my favorite in the whole game, Roy is so awesome and I want to be the best with him (probably just like you :) ) so yeah any and all advice is appreciated.

Last edited:

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Hmm, after reading this, I would urge you to first read this thread about choosing your competitive main. The reason I urge you to do this is because while Roy seems to have the first option covered for you ("Choose a character that fits your playstyle"), you might find your passion for playing Roy fizzles out fairly fast, as Roy is not a top tier character, and it sounds like you've dropped characters you were more passionate about (Lucas) for similar reasons.

If you're still interested in playing Roy, glad to have you around! :) He's still a pretty underdeveloped character, with lots of potential we're working to unlock. Practice Roy's dthrow, fthrow, jab, nair, and uair combos and setups, and if learning advanced tech is your thing, I would recommend working on dance trotting (explanation video: link, audio cue to help with practice: link), perfect pivots, and mixing the two.

Roy is heavily a fundamentals character, so there's really no gimmicks to fast wins with him. On the other hand, the fundamentals you learn by playing Roy will carry over into other characters, so he's a good character to practice and learn with.

JohnnyB

Smash Journeyman
Players have different goals when they play this game they are usually:

A. Have fun

B. Be the best at _____ or the best they can be as that character.

C. Win.

D. All of the above.

If you are in this to win, Solo maining Roy isn't a great idea as he is not solo viable (only 3-5 characters are in this game, depending on your definiton of "solo-viable"). If you want to main Roy you might want to get him some backup. If you just want to have fun and be the best you can with Roy then solo main him and never look back.

Zoramine Fae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8088-7214
Honestly, solo-maining Roy is up to you. If you want to have fun and maybe not play fully competitively, then have fun soloing Roy. I solo-mained Little Mac for quite some time, rarely playing any of the rest of the cast, then went to a tournament just to have the experience and then fought the #1 Sheik in my state, Indiana, and if memory serves the #3 player for Ohio was there as well. In my pool. If you can't guess, I got sorely wrecked.

I still main Little Mac, but now I've picked up Roy as well as Corrin, Marth, and Robin, and partially use a good portion of the rest of the cast to see if my tastes will ever change. However, seeing as this isn't the case, I might just stick with my roots as a deep Fire Emblem fan and stick with Roy, Little Mac, and Corrin, as the three of them not only fit my tastes, but the three seem to just flow perfectly whenever I use them. That, and they don't have THAT many glaring weaknesses that another can't cover.

If you are looking to win... I'd suggest picking up ONE character. Roy's one of those characters that has incredible issues with characters that can space him out, have larger range, projectiles, or both, and another character to deal with difficult matchups could help greatly. Little Mac probably isn't that character (lol), but find something else that you can appreciate in another character that can deal with the issues that Roy has. Hell, even Ness or Lucas could fill in that slot, since they can deal with MOST projectile characters barring Sheik, but then again, eff Sheik in her arse. Nobody beats her. So preparing for that probably won't end out well.

Just, focus on having fun at this game and getting better, and once you feel comfortable begin adding tech to your playstyle and build it up until you are ready.

Then go play Lunatic in Awakening and tear your hair out, like my brother did.

i still dont feel sorry for him

Dar4

Smash Apprentice
I say play Roy as your main, but just keep a secondary in playable shape to handle those few matchups you find extremely difficult for Roy. Just pick up someone fairly easy to pick up and play. Like mario, falcon or cloud. Doesn't take that much effort to maintain a viable secondary option.

If your goal is to win at locals, Roy can definitely be solo mained and is solo viable. If your goal is to win a regional or national, he's probably not solo viable.

Last edited:

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Sorry but, Roy's probably not solo viable. Maybe if you use him in locals, sure! If you're trying to win a national though, then solo maining him is not a good idea. The best thing to do is to find a character that is viable and can back up his weaknesses.

I for example, use Cloud along with Roy, since Cloud is considered to be a very good character at this point. I also enjoy using him, so picking him as a backup for Roy wasn't much of a problem for me. Not 100% sure whether he can cover all of Roy's weaknesses though. Only time will tell I guess.

Zoramine Fae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8088-7214
Sorry but, Roy's probably not solo viable. Maybe if you use him in locals, sure! If you're trying to win a national though, then solo maining him is not a good idea. The best thing to do is to find a character that is viable and can back up his weaknesses.

I for example, use Cloud along with Roy, since Cloud is considered to be a very good character at this point. I also enjoy using him, so picking him as a backup for Roy wasn't much of a problem for me. Not 100% sure whether he can cover all of Roy's weaknesses though. Only time will tell I guess.
Cloud and Roy have some issues with characters able to gimp easily since both don't have that good of a recovery (Cloud in particular), while the opposite can be said about projectiles since both hate 'em, and while Cloud CAN neutralize some with Blade Beam and Limit Blade Beam eats up all other projectiles, he requires Limit to have a safe option at doing so. Roy just has absolutely no ways of doing that.

Someone like R.O.B or the Pits would probably work better as they don't really have that many issues and can beat projectile-based characters, have great recoveries, and go not-so-bad against top and high characters.

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769

Roy is solo viable except againts shiek everyones worst matchup because I went to a state tournament using Roy and dominated half of the top players that play Rosa,sonic,Ryu etc.Or its just because I'm trying to master all of the fire Emblem characters

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Cloud and Roy have some issues with characters able to gimp easily since both don't have that good of a recovery (Cloud in particular), while the opposite can be said about projectiles since both hate 'em, and while Cloud CAN neutralize some with Blade Beam and Limit Blade Beam eats up all other projectiles, he requires Limit to have a safe option at doing so. Roy just has absolutely no ways of doing that.

Someone like R.O.B or the Pits would probably work better as they don't really have that many issues and can beat projectile-based characters, have great recoveries, and go not-so-bad against top and high characters.
Really then? Thank you! Yeah, I've noticed that both of them suffer against projectiles and good edgeguarders. I used to use Dark Pit, so I think this is a good time to start using him again.
Roy is solo viable except againts shiek everyones worst matchup because I went to a state tournament using Roy and dominated half of the top players that play Rosa,sonic,Ryu etc.Or its just because I'm trying to master all of the fire Emblem characters
Weeelll I haven't heard of anyone dominating a state tournament with Roy, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Personally, I'd like to use another back up character for Roy, because his recovery and odd neutral may be a bit of a problem. If you want to solo him though, fine by me.

Zoramine Fae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8088-7214
Really then? Thank you! Yeah, I've noticed that both of them suffer against projectiles and good edgeguarders. I used to use Dark Pit, so I think this is a good time to start using him again.

Weeelll I haven't heard of anyone dominating a state tournament with Roy, but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Personally, I'd like to use another back up character for Roy, because his recovery and odd neutral may be a bit of a problem. If you want to solo him though, fine by me.
Damn, you made this post RIGHT after I left school library. That sucks.

But projectile heavy characters generally do get the better of Cloud and Roy, especially Roy though. I could see you having problems with Robins, Villagers, and Toon Link/Links. Is that true?

Also, that state tournament win with Roy... I honestly have doubts. Roy isn't that good, at least from what I can tell.

Lady Kuki

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetraRal01
3DS FC
4854-7185-6306
Damn, you made this post RIGHT after I left school library. That sucks.

But projectile heavy characters generally do get the better of Cloud and Roy, especially Roy though. I could see you having problems with Robins, Villagers, and Toon Link/Links. Is that true?

Also, that state tournament win with Roy... I honestly have doubts. Roy isn't that good, at least from what I can tell.
It's okay. Better late than never.

Oh I know. I do think that the main reason why I suffer from those characters though is due to my lack of match up experience and skill. I do happen to beat Toon Link pretty decently though. Then again, the Toon Link was no pro; just decent.

Yeah I honestly have my doubts too. If Roy really did take a state tournament, that would've been pretty big news. I think solo maining Roy would be interesting as a test, but if you're looking to win tournaments by soloing Roy, that's going to be extremely hard if not, impossible.

Last edited:

Zoramine Fae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8088-7214
It's okay. Better late than never.

Oh I know. I do think that the main reason why I suffer from those characters though is due to my lack of match up experience and skill. I do happen to beat Toon Link pretty decently though. Then again, the Toon Link was no pro; just decent.

Yeah I honestly have my doubts too. If Roy really did take a state tournament, that would've been pretty big news. I think solo maining Roy would be interesting as a test, but if you're looking to win tournaments by soloing Roy, that's going to be extremely hard if not, impossible.
I love reply chains.

I don't mean that you might just be awful at the projectile character matchups, but its the fact you have to play AROUND them that makes them difficult, understand?

Take Link for example. If you walk near him, he WILL get a forward smash off, so you have to be a bit more patient. In the meantime, the Link pulls out a bomb and you have one of two reactions usually:

- Take the aggression and not let him set up with said bomb, possibly getting hit anyways into a different combo

- or you play defensively and attempt to avoid the bomb, and maybe get grabbed.

You have to find a way to work around each and every issue that you come across, and these issues are multiplied tenfold against characters with projectiles. This is partially why Sheik is such a frustrating character; as you have to find work-arounds for those damn Needles. That is also why all of the top characters have projectiles (Sheik, Rosa, ZSS, Ryu has two variants of the Hadoken, and Pikachu). Because these projectiles set up for other things or are just attacks to use in the neutral or as surprise to make people change their gameplan.

Draconic_Kamui

Smash Rookie
Honestly, solo-maining Roy is up to you. If you want to have fun and maybe not play fully competitively, then have fun soloing Roy. I solo-mained Little Mac for quite some time, rarely playing any of the rest of the cast, then went to a tournament just to have the experience and then fought the #1 Sheik in my state, Indiana, and if memory serves the #3 player for Ohio was there as well. In my pool. If you can't guess, I got sorely wrecked.

I still main Little Mac, but now I've picked up Roy as well as Corrin, Marth, and Robin, and partially use a good portion of the rest of the cast to see if my tastes will ever change. However, seeing as this isn't the case, I might just stick with my roots as a deep Fire Emblem fan and stick with Roy, Little Mac, and Corrin, as the three of them not only fit my tastes, but the three seem to just flow perfectly whenever I use them. That, and they don't have THAT many glaring weaknesses that another can't cover.

If you are looking to win... I'd suggest picking up ONE character. Roy's one of those characters that has incredible issues with characters that can space him out, have larger range, projectiles, or both, and another character to deal with difficult matchups could help greatly. Little Mac probably isn't that character (lol), but find something else that you can appreciate in another character that can deal with the issues that Roy has. Hell, even Ness or Lucas could fill in that slot, since they can deal with MOST projectile characters barring Sheik, but then again, eff Sheik in her arse. Nobody beats her. So preparing for that probably won't end out well.

Just, focus on having fun at this game and getting better, and once you feel comfortable begin adding tech to your playstyle and build it up until you are ready.

Then go play Lunatic in Awakening and tear your hair out, like my brother did.

i still dont feel sorry for him
Lmao

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
Usually I'd say questions asking for advice and such should be posted in the Q&A (or even the social or meta game thread depending on what you're asking). But since a lot of people posted great advice, and I kinda waited a bit and thought, "Why not make this a thread that discusses Roy's viability as a solo main". Because, well, there's some discussion on that from users already and I don't believe there's a thread with that topic already.

ShadowKing

Smash Ace
NNID
TheShadowKing24
3DS FC
4785-7167-2769
Usually I'd say questions asking for advice and such should be posted in the Q&A (or even the social or meta game thread depending on what you're asking). But since a lot of people posted great advice, and I kinda waited a bit and thought, "Why not make this a thread that discusses Roy's viability as a solo main". Because, well, there's some discussion on that from users already and I don't believe there's a thread with that topic already.
That ant a bad idea

Zoramine Fae

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2895-8088-7214
Well I mean, thanks for letting us continue this(?)

I'm personally at the thought that Roy isn't solo viable unless you have the best reads within your entire country/region, and almost always will require a secondary in order to deal around with projectile-based characters, something with a better matchup against Sheik and ZSS, and I've found that with practicing against my friends today that Kirby worked well alongside him, as the two cover each other exceedingly well for some reason (they have some minor issues together like approaching problems against shields, but I digress). How do you, as apparently someone important to this forum, what is your opinion on this?

Croph

Hold Baroque Inside
NNID
IceCreamStar
3DS FC
3196-4596-5388
I'm usually an advocate of people finding a secondary/pocket main for really hard match ups. This might sound weird, but Smash does take a lot of energy out of me. So, for myself, I'm sure finding a secondary can make life 100x easier. Thing is, I'm very picky with mains and I've been experimenting (still am) with mostly high tiers, trying to find a character that compliments Roy well. Might go with Mario since cape can help with projectiles (and gimping, people get really hyped with cape gimps lol), while not being super hard to learn and having a bunch of even match ups. I agree that Roy isn't solo viable, at least on a national level. My opinion might change if he gets results though, but if you're doing really well with Roy alone then the more power to ya.

As for those looking for a secondary, start experimenting with a ton of characters. You might even find a strange combination that works. My friend has a pocket G&W for Sheik just because he's that confident going into such match, and it's been paying off strangely enough. Whatever works for you! (Also, I apologize for the late reply.)

So heres the thing, I never really liked Roy at all until Smash 4 and even then wasn't hyped for him when he released as DLC (I guess I was more hype for Lucas because he should have been in the base roster IMO) And honestly the only reason I bought him at all was because I couldn't afford Lucas + Ryu so I settled with Roy as an after thought
After I found out that Lucas wasn't that good and Ness was still better that following month I finally played Roy and realized he was the most fun character in Smash 4 to me and I really like what they did to his design, and honestly he became my favorite character and I was a Marth guy all this time but i honestly love all the fire emblem characters. Ironically Corrin was my most wanted DLC character who I expected to be my favorite but nope the character I never liked until this iteration is my favorite in the whole game, Roy is so awesome and I want to be the best with him (probably just like you :) ) so yeah any and all advice is appreciated.
How'd that go

Chief Hotsuin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Blue-Rob
3DS FC
3411-3937-1436
MMMmmmmmmm, good read.

Old thread is old, but who else thinks Villy would be a nice pocket for Roy players? lf you can't beat the spam, join it. This is just something l love doing, zoning out other players who do it to me and trying to annoy them. But does this sounds like a decent tactic?

A Lucky Person

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aLuckyPerson
3DS FC
4914-3160-6884
MMMmmmmmmm, good read.

Old thread is old, but who else thinks Villy would be a nice pocket for Roy players? lf you can't beat the spam, join it. This is just something l love doing, zoning out other players who do it to me and trying to annoy them. But does this sounds like a decent tactic?
If you can play as Villager without annoying yourself to death with his campy play style then it'd be a great secondary to have alongside Roy. As a person who plays a rush-down style regardless of character choice, I find it difficult to actually enjoy playing the game as projectile-based characters. I'm guessing it's similar for most of the peeps who play Roy around here.

On another note, Zoramine Fae Zoramine Fae , how's that Kirby/Roy combo working out?

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Until 1.17 comes, I would definitely recommend picking up a pocket Mario or Cloud to give you an easier time. That said, if you really want to solo-main him, go ahead, see how it works out. I don't think it's impossible, but it would definitely require hella dedication.

Ark of Silence101

Smash Master
NNID
ArkofSilence
Switch FC
8431-6297-7122
Unless you're Ryo, Sethlon levels of good, solo maining Roy is not an option, as his flaws on competitive play are quite noticeable, and working these out requires a lot of patience and effort. I recently started attending tourneys over here, I back him up with Lucina and Palutena, the first for characters like Fox, Captain Falcon and the second for characters whose main strategy is zoning like Tink or Villager.

anas abou

Smash Journeyman
it's intresting how :4pit:/:4darkpit: are considered much better than they actually are because they have a consistent (but not great) matchup spread and are generally very manageable as a solo main, i guess being an all-rounder while not particularly excelling at anything has it's perks !

Seraphim.

Smash Ace
NNID
Seraphim35
With counterpicking becoming more frequent in Smash 4's meta, limiting yourself to just one character may not be the smartest thing down the road.

I would suggest having a secondary to cover bad matchups.

EnGarde

Smash Ace
3DS FC
4914-3671-9440
Lol not a single person offered Roy tips.

It's all just "no don't do that."
I did, at the beginning of the thread. Threads like this tend to...exist, and not really generate useful comments after a while.

Top Bottom