• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I really want to play Hollow Knight in Smash, so I created his moveset

Leo_Nardo

Smash Rookie
I'm loving Hollow Knight. I bought it on the Switch as soon as its release got announced at E3, and I played the hell out of it. I'm trying to go for the 100%, and I have yet to beat the final boss (I don't even know who he/she is!) and complete the last, tedious, side-quest.
I started thinking of a Smash moveset for the main character and it sounded so harmonical and natural to me that I'm surprised he's not in the game yet (just joking, I'm actually happy about the current roster :)).
This moveset is based on various power-ups from the game that could spoil some of the experience for you if you have yet to play Hollow Knight or if you haven't got as far as I have, so be careful.
Also, I haven't found anything original for his dash attack, tilts and aerials, so I'll gladly accept your suggestions.

The gimmick of the character is his Soul Meter: every succesful hit with the nail replenishes this meter a bit, and by focusing Soul the Hollow Knight can cure himself or make some of his attacks stronger. His game is centered around grabs and specials: his throws have a very high knockback, to put the Hollow Knight in a state of advantage that lets him use his laggy specials.

Jab: The Hollow Knight strikes with his nail: the first two jabs are just like the basic hits of the game, then he unleashes a flurry of blows.
Double Jump: The Hollow Knight double jumps in the air using his Monarch Wings, Bayonetta-style. He can also wall jump and wall cling thanks to his Mantis Claw.
Dodge: The Hollow Knight dodges by using his Mothwing Cloak to move away from the opponent.

Throws:
  • Forward Throw: The Hollow Knight throws his opponent forward and hits him with the spell Vengeful Spirit. By holding :GCB: and using some of his Soul, he can use the spell Shade Soul instead.
  • Back Throw: The effect is the same, but the Hollow Knight throws his opponent behind him (I'd really like to change this move into something more original, give me some advice!).
  • Down Throw: The Hollow Knight jumps while holding his opponent only to come back and crush him into the ground with the spell Desolate Dive. By holding :GCB: and using some of his Soul, he can use the spell Descending Dark instead.
  • Up Throw: The Hollow Knight launches his opponent right above his head and punishes him with the spell Howling Wraiths. By holding :GCB: and using some of his Soul, he can use the spell Abyss Shriek instead.
Smash Attacks:
  • Forward Smash: The Hollow Knight cuts his opponent with the Dash Slash he learned from Nailmaster Oro. This move is great for positioning, since the Hollow Knight makes a brief dash before attacking.
  • Down Smash: The Hollow Knight catches his opponent unprepared with the Cyclone Slash he learned from Nailmaster Mato.
  • Up Smash: The Hollow Knight strikes upwards with the Great Slash he learned from Nailmaster Sheo.
Special Attacks:
  • Neutral Special: The Hollow Knight employs his Soul to cure himself. This move has a long startup, but it will lower his percentage by using Soul.
  • Side Special: Instead of the Mothwing Cloak, the Hollow Knight performs a dash with his Shade Cloak: this helps with positioning and recovery, and it will also damage the opponent thanks to the Sharp Shadow Charm. You can only use this move once while airborne.
  • Down Special: This is the second gimmick of this character: after a long startup, the Hollow Knight uses his Dream Nail to open up a Dreamgate: it lasts until the Hollow Knight loses a stock, and by using this move again, if he's on the ground, he can (not istantly) teleport to the Dreamgate.
  • Up Special: The Hollow Knight surrounds himselfs with crystals and unleashes the power of his Crystal Heart to launch himself towards a direction.

Last edited:

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I’m loving this game too. Question: wouldn’t the shade cloak be a better option for dodging with mothwing for recovery?

Leo_Nardo

Smash Rookie
I’m loving this game too. Question: wouldn’t the shade cloak be a better option for dodging with mothwing for recovery?
I liked the Mothwing Cloak as a dodging move for the fact that it doesn't deal damage in the original game, while the Shade Cloak, with Sharp Shadow, can hit enemies, and it sounded cool as a side-special. Thanks for the reply, anyway: I'm open for debate :)

AIM0001

Smash Lord
I feel like characters like Hollow Knight and Cuphead will need to release more games or another game to establish some sort of strong presence as far as up and coming gaming icons/mascots. Going back to Hollow Knight though, I would love to see the main character in. His move set potential is limitless and his stage music would be very gloomy, peaceful, and atmospheric. It would be the total opposite of all other stages/music in Smash.

Cyn

Sith Archivist
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
I liked the Mothwing Cloak as a dodging move for the fact that it doesn't deal damage in the original game, while the Shade Cloak, with Sharp Shadow, can hit enemies, and it sounded cool as a side-special. Thanks for the reply, anyway: I'm open for debate :)
That may be true. But it makes more sense to me for it to be reversed. You are invulnerable when using shade cloak, with mothwing, you can still take damage.

i1Schmidty

Smash Rookie
Would it not be totally epic to have the hollow knight gravity mechanic too? Also the knew hollow knight game that comes out soon had another pretty sweet looking main character. Aand, what about making some of the equipable charms into spirits?

Last edited:
Top Bottom