• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I play too MANY characters and cant commit to one"

EatTheHomeless

Smash Rookie
Hey SB,

I've been playing melee for over a year now but can not stick to one/two characters to main. I always seem to change character every month and now its affecting my game-play as i lack in character skill across the board.
In general, does anyone have any tips or advice to stick at it with One character?

LordTakeo

Master of Mediocre
Hey SB,

I've been playing melee for over a year now but can not stick to one/two characters to main. I always seem to change character every month and now its affecting my game-play as i lack in character skill across the board.
In general, does anyone have any tips or advice to stick at it with One character?
Thats quite tricky. I'd suggest trying to find out what you enjoy most at the gameplay, like aerial game, neutral, ect.

And then try characters that excell in this category, until you feel this feeling of having perfect control with barely effort. Or atleast easier for you.

I personally just had a loooot of matches via the random button against friends, till someday I played the patched mewtwo and... bam, got stuck with him.

EatTheHomeless

Smash Rookie
Thats quite tricky. I'd suggest trying to find out what you enjoy most at the gameplay, like aerial game, neutral, ect.

And then try characters that excell in this category, until you feel this feeling of having perfect control with barely effort. Or atleast easier for you.

I personally just had a loooot of matches via the random button against friends, till someday I played the patched mewtwo and... bam, got stuck with him.
I appreciate the advice thank you, I've been playing random for the last few weeks but still just not finding one. I love melee and everything about it but it makes it hard to pin one character. I'll keep this updated with how things go

Sdhy

Smash Rookie
I appreciate the advice thank you, I've been playing random for the last few weeks but still just not finding one. I love melee and everything about it but it makes it hard to pin one character. I'll keep this updated with how things go
Hey at least you'll know lots of different matchups.
Maybe one day you'll end up a pro with four or five mains lol.

Blimblam

Smash Rookie
Take a nice hard look at every character in the game, decide which one interests you the most and which one you perform the best with, and just play the **** out of the character and learn them to the point of muscle memory. Its going to take a while but you'll get it eventually.

EatTheHomeless

Smash Rookie
Thanks for help everyone, Ive really taken to Marth and Sheik atm. I have had a solid few weeks playing (Even some local events) on Marth and feel like he's my strongest. Im by all means no pro tho ;)

KirinKQP

Smash Journeyman
Congrats. I personally would just stick to using Marth, and Marth only. He doesn't necessarily have too many bad matchups or any that you would need Sheik to cover for; even personal ones. You would improve much faster as a player and get use to Marth's frame data and overall neutral and punish game.

EatTheHomeless

Smash Rookie
I think i will stick to Marth as you have a point on learning one character very well. As much as i enjoy Sheik i would rather get proficient with one character. Thanks for the advice btw

Weggieninja

Smash Rookie
Play whoever you like to play as. In terms of caring more about having to win more than having fun, pick a character that you're the best at. If you don't know what character you're the best at, have a few matches against a CPU or a friend and just experiment. I know Captain Falcon isn't the best in Melee, but I play him because he's just so fun to play as and is rewarding to me when I get a few sick kills as him.

Trust me, I went through the same thing that you're going through. Look at the entire roster of characters and think to yourself, "Which character fits me?"

cdMyth

Controller Doctor
Writing Team
You can't force yourself to pick one if you want to play multiple, and what I would advise is to keep playing all the characters you want until you slowly figure out which ones you don't enjoy playing as much and which ones you tend to prefer. The way you are leaning towards Marth and Sheik, I would say to keep playing both Marth and Sheik, and eventually, you'll figure out which one you want to main. It is much better to spend the time in the beginning playing both characters and then having a solid decision to one as opposed to trying to pick only one now and then swapping back and forth months down the line or being indecisive mentally and wondering if you made the right choice because you never gave enough time to think about it.

Top Bottom