• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Pokkén Tournament I need some help with this game.

FunnyAwsomeCharlie

Smash Rookie
NNID
FunnyAwsomeC
Hello. I recently got this game after many of my Smash friends saying it was fun and all that stuff. I played the game for a little and it doesn't feel quite right. The game is pretty cool and stuff but this game is really confusing for me. Specifically, I need some better explanation on the combos and how to pull them off, how to "git gud", etc. Thank you. :)

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
A bit more info would help, namely what experience you already have and what character(s) you're planning on using.

Most find it best to hit up the in-game tutorial, action/combo dojo, and single player mode (to unlock everything) when starting out. But I can see most people wanting to skip that and get straight into PvP/online matches.

Coming from Smash isn't all that different in terms of what basic fundamentals you're gonna need to learn. You need to memorize what beats what (the Attack Triangle, as well as when to shield/jump/back away, etc.), learn what special attributes your character(s) have, and how to cancel moves/find what can be strung together (cancelling usually involves specific button presses, either with a different attack or the shield button). Just like any other game, you should be able to find both basic and advanced guides on just about any medium (Youtube, Reddit, the character forums here, etc.).

The rest of it is pretty much just persistently practicing and playing people. Combos eventually start feeling natural once you get comfy with all of your moves, and getting good going hand and hand with learning things like match-ups/neutral. It takes time, but it's worth it.

FunnyAwsomeCharlie

Smash Rookie
NNID
FunnyAwsomeC
A bit more info would help, namely what experience you already have and what character(s) you're planning on using.

Most find it best to hit up the in-game tutorial, action/combo dojo, and single player mode (to unlock everything) when starting out. But I can see most people wanting to skip that and get straight into PvP/online matches.

Coming from Smash isn't all that different in terms of what basic fundamentals you're gonna need to learn. You need to memorize what beats what (the Attack Triangle, as well as when to shield/jump/back away, etc.), learn what special attributes your character(s) have, and how to cancel moves/find what can be strung together (cancelling usually involves specific button presses, either with a different attack or the shield button). Just like any other game, you should be able to find both basic and advanced guides on just about any medium (Youtube, Reddit, the character forums here, etc.).

The rest of it is pretty much just persistently practicing and playing people. Combos eventually start feeling natural once you get comfy with all of your moves, and getting good going hand and hand with learning things like match-ups/neutral. It takes time, but it's worth it.
Also, would you mind if you could give me any starter characters?

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss

You forgot to tell him pretty much the most important thing; frame data.

FunnyAwsomeCharlie FunnyAwsomeCharlie lesrn your character's frame data (what attack is your fastest, attacks + on block/safe, everything).

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Thank you guys so much. I'll try to start playing. But I don't know who to start using. I am considering either Luchador Pikachu or Weavile.
Depends.

Do you want all speed and combos?

Or less speed but a bit more power and mixup potential?

Top Bottom