• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I need some help to fix my melee

FretfulBread491

Smash Rookie
So I wanted to get back into melee but I don't have my GameCube so I used my wii, it works fine except when peach is chosen or is on screen, it says that the disc cannot not be read. Sometimes I can get it to work for a round if I continuously take out the disc and memory card and put it back in, but this is really annoying. (I'm trying to re-unlock all characters and stages and it's hard to do that fast without seeing peach every once and a while) All other gamecube games work, so I have no idea. PLS HELP!!!

Pauer

The Pauerful
In that case, it is probably the disc that's scratched. The best solution for that is to go to an electronics or game store and ask to get your disc resurfaced. That should only cost a couple of bucks. There are other tips and tricks online to get your disc readable again but they are all essentially attempts at resurfacing the disc using home tools like toothpaste, which runs you the risk of worsening the problems if you do anything wrong.

Alternatively, you could look into softmodding your wii so you can play melee (and all other gamecube/wii games) using a rom loader. Kadano recently finished a fantastic guide (link) on how to softmod your wii. It's very easy, you just have to follow the steps.

FretfulBread491

Smash Rookie
In that case, it is probably the disc that's scratched. The best solution for that is to go to an electronics or game store and ask to get your disc resurfaced. That should only cost a couple of bucks. There are other tips and tricks online to get your disc readable again but they are all essentially attempts at resurfacing the disc using home tools like toothpaste, which runs you the risk of worsening the problems if you do anything wrong.

Alternatively, you could look into softmodding your wii so you can play melee (and all other gamecube/wii games) using a rom loader. Kadano recently finished a fantastic guide (link) on how to softmod your wii. It's very easy, you just have to follow the steps.
You're probably right, it's just weird to me that it's usually just peach that screws it up, and my other games might even be more scratched and still work but I'll go resuface, can u tell what stores resurface and how much it usually costs?

Pauer

The Pauerful
I think gamestop does resurfacing at 5$ but I may have read somewhere that they stopped offering that service. Maybe just give your local gamestop a call about that.
Otherwise, consult your local electronics stores or bigger chains like BestBuy, maybe even try the electronics sections at walmart or target. Prices should be 2-5$ per disc. Ask whether they accept miniDVDs (gamecube disc size).

FretfulBread491

Smash Rookie
I think gamestop does resurfacing at 5$ but I may have read somewhere that they stopped offering that service. Maybe just give your local gamestop a call about that.
Otherwise, consult your local electronics stores or bigger chains like BestBuy, maybe even try the electronics sections at walmart or target. Prices should be 2-5$ per disc. Ask whether they accept miniDVDs (gamecube disc size).
Thx

Thx[/QUOTE
Well, I cleaned off the scratched at a store, but now it crashes when roy appears
and now it won't load past the intro

Pauer

The Pauerful
Are you sure the disc got resurfaced at a proper machine or did someone just wipe it down? Either way, it might be a good idea to consult the same store again and ask about their recommendation regarding the disc. Maybe they'll take some more off the disc if you tell them it didn't work the first time.
Does the disc still have very visible scratches?

I don't know of any other method for disc repair and to me it seems like it has to be your disc that is causing the issues.

Regardless of the results of the disc repair, I still highly recommend softmodding your wii and playing the games off an SD card/USB stick using the guide I linked earlier.

Top Bottom