• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I need help punishing rolls with Marth

Wrigglenightbugs

Smash Rookie
NNID
Wrigglenightbugs
So, I'm a Marth main and I'm having trouble while playing my brother (he plays Luigi), while it is not all the time, he quite often rolls into me or right behind me and jabs/grabs, and I can't seem to find an answer to that, I have tried using downsmash but it's not that great, and it's pretty unsafe, I figured I might have to begin using short hop down-air to catch him, but I want to have a more solid option.

Illuminado

Smash Cadet
As per Ako. Ako. Side b is Marths best move for tech chasing and roll punishing. Heck, it's actually his best move period. Use it.

Metalbro

ILikePirates
NNID
SwiftJaws
Switch FC
SW-4480-4128-0819
Also if you're reading a roll, you'll have time to dash in their direction with a grab or a pivot grab.

Last edited:

Wrigglenightbugs

Smash Rookie
NNID
Wrigglenightbugs
Thanks for the replies guys!
I have been doing a lot better, and I'm stepping my game up really hard.
Thank you all very much for the tips!
I'm using Dancing Blade and pivot F-Tilt to punish the rolls now, btw, thanks!

Senshu

Smash Cadet
I know you have it more or less sorted out, but typically I do like using up tilt to catch a roll, it puts them in the air for an easy back air follow up, you can take it from there after that.

Wrigglenightbugs

Smash Rookie
NNID
Wrigglenightbugs
Ah, yeah, I do that sometimes as well, but the back hit of uptilt has a blindspot and it misses sometimes, it cost me some stocks in the past :s

Deviruki

Smash Rookie
NNID
Deviruki.exe
Up tilt is good, turn around up tilt is better for the tipper. Turn around jab is my favorite--it comes out the fastest of all his moves and can lead to db or repeat jab 1's into fsmash or whatever you'd like. If they roll onto ledge and you're spaced well, up smash is great.

IAmHorse

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
3540-3124-0028
Something i haven't seen mentioned yet is that if he rolls in front of you, dtilt is a solid option since it can lead to fair-dtilt chains. Jab can pretty much combo into any other of his moves, so thats always a good one. Otherwise, i think you've got it.

AllN

Smash Rookie
I have a few friends who spam rolls whenever they get into a potential kill situation, and if you are able to read their rolls you can punish them hard. If they roll into you then you can catch them with a grab. If you can't tell which side of you they'll end up on then go for the up-tilt. If they roll away from you and out of up-tilt range, go for the f-tilt or d-tilt, depending on where they end up.

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
Dancing Blade (Side B) is singlehandedly one of the best tools in the game for punishing rolls, spot dodges, landing air dodges, laggy landings, or just punishes in general. It does a lot of damage, ranging from anywhere around 16%-25% ish. It's main boon is the fact that you can do it out of a run. Marth doesn't have to commit to a Grab, Dash Attack, Aerial or Up Smash for his punish. The fact he can do Dancing Blade immediately out of a run is one of it's best traits.

Ftilt works if somebody rolls behind you, as it has the range to hit them. If somebody rolls into you, Utilt is a good option, as it can set them up for a combo or a juggle. If somebody rolls infront of you, try Dtilt, which you can follow up with a running Dancing Blade, Fair or even a grab at certain percent's.

A lot of players make the mistake with Marth of "Oh, I have an opportunity to punish the opponent, let me run in and dash attack/smash/Fair!". This is a bad option, for a few reasons. Not only do these options have next to no follow ups, you can get more damage and follow ups from Dancing Blade if you angle at the very least, the last hit upwards. Another thing, is you need Marth's main moves to be as clean/fresh as they can be for killing. As such, try not to use Fsmash for a close range punish, as tempting as it might be. If you accidentally land a sourspot at high percent, you need the best chance at it KO'ing.

HartG21

Smash Cadet
I would say wait for his roll and react with side b. Even if you react late and he shields this move, you can stop after the first hit of side b and retreat away. Both downsmash and short hop D-air are EXTREMELY un-safe and will get you punished every time on whiff and even on hit at low enough percentages. Another option is spaced F-air and B-air. These options do decent damage and are generally safe on whiff and shield.

Hope this helps!

JayE

Smash Journeyman
Hyrule and Altea, the universes of Zelda and FE
NNID
PinoyPlayerJ
3DS FC
2982-0290-3968
Dancing blade is a great punish for rolls, and down smash can cover both sides of Marth. Pivot grabs are a good option if you think they're gonna roll, you get more grab range. Also fox trotting and doing an attack out of it, turnaround/pivot forward tilts, or moves with perfect pivots can help space you to punish a roll. Shorthop dair can work if they roll directly under you and you get the spike hitbox, but its not as reliable as just using the other options.

LSDX

Wah!
Punishing rolls w/ Marth is too easy considering Marth has hilarious disjoint. Side B / any tilts / Fsmash / reaction grab

Top Bottom