• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I need help modding.

SnuggleWuffle

Smash Rookie
NNID
SnuggleWuffle
So i got the crazy hand modding tool to mod melee, and its pretty fun making characters completely broken.

But in all seriousness, I wanna make a balance mod for melee. However, most of the terms or how the hitboxes and their properties are confusing. So I want some help with my vision of a "balanced" melee, no matter how long it takes.

Schezic

Smash Rookie
Size is how large the hitbox is. Knockback is how far a hitbox launches when it connect with a character. Knockback growth is how much the knockback increases as a character goes up in percentage. WDSK is not necessarily important for most moves. Damage is how much percent it inflicts onto a character. X, Y, and Z offset are the hitbox's location relative to the character using the attack. Attributes are different effects the hit can inflict. Angle is the angle at which the attack sends other characters... use the following chart to determine the angle you want an attack to hit: http://etc.usf.edu/clipart/43000/43032/polar_36-1l_43032_lg.gif . Sound FX is the sound effect played when the attack hits (See Melee Syntax School at the end). Hurtbox interaction is how the hitbox can hit other characters (3 meaning it can hit anyone in its radius, 2 being it can hit grounded characters within its radius, and I think 1 is for airborne characters.) You can use these to create a hitbox with highly customizable effects. If you don't already know, move's properties can be modified by going to subactions(Attacks Only) in Crazy Hand and selecting whichever move you wish to modify. I started a Melee modding subreddit with some general resources and common mods, so check it out. Subreddit Melee Syntax School Hitbox Effects

Zadamanim

Smash Cadet
I'm working on my own mod called Magic Melee (shameless self-plug) using crazyhand, so it really depends on what you are specifically trying to accomplish. The main things to know are:
1. Hitboxes
2. Timers
3. IASA

So Hitboxes are pretty cool, let me explain what all the numbers are in them:

Base Knockback: All enemies will be knocked back with this much force, no matter what % they are at.

Knockback Growth: The amount that knockback increases, seems to work by multiplying base knockback, so for example, low base will lead to low growth, even if you have a large number here.

WDSK: Weight-dependent set knockback, different enemies will be knocked back vastly different distances based on their weight attribute. Do not use this in combination with Base Knockback (keep one of these two at 0) or else it will perform strangely.

Damage: How much % the move deals. Moves can stale if you use them repeatedly, keep this in mind while testing. EDIT: Since writing this, I have learned that increasing damage also increases knockback distance. I'm not sure of it's exact relation, but it appears to be the same as adding base knockback. This is why moves like jabs that have 0 base knockback / WDSK still work.

Shield Damage: Straight forward, controls how much getting hit by this move will shrink a shield.

Size: A larger number here will make the hitbox bigger. Use Develop mode to see hitboxes, by choosing Tournament Mode and switching from Master to Develop. Then hold down the right trigger and hit up on the D pad to see the hitboxes. Press start to freezeframe and tap Z to advance by one frame, invaluable for counting frames for timers, which I'll get to soon.

Angle: The direction you get knocked away in. 0 is horizontally away, 90 is straight up, 180 is backwards, and 270 is a meteor. BUT 361 is a special angle called the Sakurai angle, which means the angle changes based on how much knockback is experienced.

XYZ Offsets: Controls where the hitbox will appear. X and Y seem to always be aligned with the screen (not 100% sure), X is left / right and Y is up / down. Z functions differently, it follows the length of the bone it is attached to. This means you can easily make a sword, for example, "longer" by increasing the hitbox's Z offset, and it will work no matter which way the sword is swung.

Attribute: Some of these are cosmetic (fire, slash, normal), others have a function (ice, lightning, cape). Don't pick Unknown unless it was already Unknown, in which case don't touch it.

Bone: Each body part / joint has a number assigned to it, this effects the "starting point" for the hitbox.

Sound FX: I haven't found a list for all of the possible sound effects usable here, but the list is different from the standalone Sound Effect [12 bytes] thing, if that makes sense.

The last three, I don't know what they do yet... It wouldn't be worth speculating here, lol, but I think the Hitbox ID allows for replacing a hitbox without needing to Terminate Collisions and start a new one.

-------

Timers... How valuable! They tell your code when to start and stop doing stuff!

Asynchronous Timers: These start counting from the very beginning of the move to the very end without interruption. If you want a hitbox to start on frame 10, just get one of these and type in 10!!

Synchronous Timers: These start counting as soon as their spot in the code is reached, so if you want a hitbox to last for 5 frames after it starts, put one of these and type 5, followed by Terminate Collisions, usually, which turns the hitboxes off.

-------

IASA, interruptible as soon as. This means you can start walking away as soon as the timer on this function is up! Well, not specifically walking, depending on the IASA function, you might only be able to jump out, for example. Some moves might require FSM mods to speed up the animation, though, since canceling the recovery can look weird.

-------

I wrote this early in the morning so my answers might be a bit strange, but hopefully this will give you all the tools you need to start modding with finesse! You'll probably run into problems that need more specific answers, but this should be a good start! Check my previous posts, as I may have already asked some of the questions you will be asking.

Last edited:

Zadamanim

Smash Cadet
Also I forgot to mention, when the bone is set to 0, the hitbox appears relative to the overall position of the character, starting on the floor between their legs. This bone generally won't move, unless the action moves the character, like Fox's Up+B

Gun.Rugger

Smash Cadet
Also I forgot to mention, when the bone is set to 0, the hitbox appears relative to the overall position of the character, starting on the floor between their legs. This bone generally won't move, unless the action moves the character, like Fox's Up+B
I have also observed that bone ID 1 is one that makes them relative. Look at Bowsman's dash attack for example (http://imgur.com/InMaSYj).

Top Bottom