• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I need a weapon" - Master Chief

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Sorry guys, I was hoping for Chief too. :(

Guess the silver lining here is Chief is poised to continue gaining popularity and by the next game may be quite undeniable, demand-wise. That and the lines of collaboration are very much open between the two companies. Let's hope MS and Ninty are still on the up and up by then, which seems entirely plausible given their diverging paths spare them from friction.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Sorry guys, I was hoping for Chief too. :(

Guess the silver lining here is Chief is poised to continue gaining popularity and by the next game may be quite undeniable, demand-wise. That and the lines of collaboration are very much open between the two companies. Let's hope MS and Ninty are still on the up and up by then, which seems entirely plausible given their diverging paths spare them from friction.
I am not mad. I am happy that Sora fans finally got their wish. It's miracle that Chief garnered so much support despite having flimsy connection. He transformed from joke to serious candidate. I just hope MS pushes Halo hard in Japan like during 360 era and more, so the true roadblock is lifted.

Last edited:

MasterCheef

Smash Ace
I am not mad. I am happy that Sora fans finally got their wish. It's miracle that Chief garnered so much support despite having flimsy connection. He transformed from joke to serious candidate. I just hope MS pushes Halo hard in Japan like during 360 era and more, so the true roadblock is lifted.
His real biggest roadblock is Nintendo wanting to please Western fans, with a Western pick with extremely small popularity presence in Japan,

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
His real biggest roadblock is Nintendo wanting to please Western fans, with a Western pick with extremely small popularity presence in Japan,
Well, they’re running out of big name Japanese franchises to add. So they’ll have to atleast dip their toes some more into western series & Halo is a good place to start.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
What I don't understand is why they can't do a reverse of Dragon Quest. Here was a very popular game in Japan, but not quite anywhere else. But they put the character in Smash, much to the West's disdain, the character was fun and westerners started to play Dragon Quest because of it. DQ 11 is now the best performing game in the series. Do that, just with Japan being the ones being introduced to a new series. Korone and Splatoon proved to me the only reason Japan doesn't like shooters is simply because they don't want to give it a chance because it's not made in Japan.

Well, they’re running out of big name Japanese franchises to add. So they’ll have to atleast dip their toes some more into western series & Halo is a good place to start.
They'll just make new ones. When Smash 64 came out characters like Sora and Joker straight up didn't even exist yet.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
What I don't understand is why they can't do a reverse of Dragon Quest. Here was a very popular game in Japan, but not quite anywhere else. But they put the character in Smash, much to the West's disdain, the character was fun and westerners started to play Dragon Quest because of it. DQ 11 is now the best performing game in the series. Do that, just with Japan being the ones being introduced to a new series. Korone and Splatoon proved to me the only reason Japan doesn't like shooters is simply because they don't want to give it a chance because it's not made in Japan.

They'll just make new ones. When Smash 64 came out characters like Sora and Joker straight up didn't even exist yet.
They are taking babystep. It's easier to communicate with Japanese developers. Yeah, next Smash will still have a lot to pull from Japanese pool, but Nintendo is starting to appeal to western fans.

I am sure Microsoft will get new fighter in next Smash if they allow Banjo and Steve to return.

Konami: Snakes returned. Newcomer: Simon and Ritcher
Sega: Sonic and Bayonetta returned. Newcomer: Joker
Square Enix: Cloud returned. Newcomer: Hero and Sephiroth
Bandai Namco: Pacman returned. Newcomer: Kazuya

I just hope we won't have "Banjo vs Steve" in FPS format aka Master Chief vs Doom Slayer. Grotesque Chief

Anyway, I will take long break from this board until next Smash. See ya all in Infinite.

Last edited:

MegaAccf

Smash Cadet
NNID
MegaAccf
Switch FC
SW-7442-2784-2123
I want to say is to keep an eye out on Game Awards. Hopefully we might get something there

Xwing Infinity

Smash Rookie
In two to three years, I think it's pretty likely that Nintendo will be motivated to release a new version of Smash Ultimate on the Switch successor console. The industry is heavily shifting towards roll back net code as a standard for fighting games and while Bamco is currently a hold out on that front, I think they'll have to adapt eventually and I think Nintendo would be more than happy to use improved online play as a key selling point. In addition, I don't think a few extra characters for this version would be out of the question. Even without Sakurai's involvement, I think the team at Bamco could develop new fighters using his philosophy.

Master Chief is primed to finally reach his widest possible audience with Halo Infinite being the first new title to launch on PC simultaneously with Xbox. The PC flight tests have had a decent amount of interest from Japanese players.

All of this is to say, assuming Infinite does as well as Microsoft is priming it to, I think Master Chief might just slip into the "most requested" category now that Sora is in.

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
I want to say is to keep an eye out on Game Awards. Hopefully we might get something there
I'm willing to stand on this hill. It's only for the next 2 months anyways so why not have some blind hope? I'm not expecting it because I'm taking the finality of the Sora presentation seriously but at the same time there are just these little reasons I have to maybe consider it.

1. The 3 year anniversary at the VGA being where Smash Ultimate was kind of first let loose into the wild with Joker's reveal. What a bang to go out on? Sora is the final character wait... Who's that? Master Chief holy cow! Haha just imagine.

2. They already as a team committed to possibly working to end of December with the placeholder date. Maybe now that things are wrapping up in October they can work on an extra bonus fighter. A nice little holiday promotion for both companies and a seasonal gift for the fans.

3. Microsoft has a lot of incentive to push for this and would most likely fund the development themselves because the promotion it'd provide for Infinite would be deemed worth it and Nintendo likely could be brought on board for this for a character like Chief that could stand up to Sora's reveal just for a massively different audience.

4. Sora and Chief appeal to different audiences. Sure you could like both or neither but if you like one or the other it's very likely that if you don't like one of them then the other one you do like.

5. It's really weird how Halo's devs keep interacting with Smash speculation online. Yeah it's to dismiss it but most companies don't even do that because why would you? It builds hype and anticipation for your character anyways so usually companies just let the fans go wild with their imaginations. Maybe they're doing the good ol' Kirkhope bait and switch.

6. Maybe it's a Master Chief Collection coming to the Switch tie-in promotion like I've said. Pack the game with some Nintendo goodies like a flyable Arwing in each game and maybe some Metroid armor. Buy the game and get Chief free if you have Ultimate or buy him separately.

7. Maybe Vergeben ends up being redeemed and he actually got some crazy good info earlier than anyone else. It'd line up with the extra slot in the code or whatever that is I forget the details on that.

Of course the tagline is perfect for a bonus fighter too. FINISHES THIS FIGHT. Hell yeah!

All of this is obviously feverdream speculation for a game that's coming to an end that is so beloved that when it stops updating it actually gets missed. I will miss Smash. Having a little hope for one more for 2 months helps me in that process but it might not help somebody else in the same boat as me. Hype responsibly but basically I think just like you that anything else extra lives or dies at the VGAs.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Yeah, it’s over guys. We just need to keep pushing for the idea of him in the next Smash game so that it actually happens.

It’s pretty apparent that Ultimate’s “fan choices” were chosen because of who was popular during Smash 4 & Ultimate’s base roster development. Hopefully they’ve noticed the Chief support or will notice it by the time they start making the next game.

The only thing to look out for at the VGAs is Halo coming to Switch since that’s one less potential hurdle Chief wouldn’t have to deal with.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Yeah, Smash Ultimate speculation has come to an end. Smash Next, though, is where we need to focus. VGA could bring some Halo x Nintendo news, which would be nice. But, with Xbox pushing Infinite right now, I'm not sure if we will see it or not. Maybe whatever the insiders heard back in the day went south? COVID and other things could have complicated the arrangement.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Yeah, Smash Ultimate speculation has come to an end. Smash Next, though, is where we need to focus. VGA could bring some Halo x Nintendo news, which would be nice. But, with Xbox pushing Infinite right now, I'm not sure if we will see it or not. Maybe whatever the insiders heard back in the day went south? COVID and other things could have complicated the arrangement.
I could see it being a way to celebrate the 20th anniversary. It’s also a way to promote Infinite; the Switch port of MCC would garner new fans, if they want to play the newest game then they’d have to get an Xbox or play it on a PC.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I could see it being a way to celebrate the 20th anniversary. It’s also a way to promote Infinite; the Switch port of MCC would garner new fans, if they want to play the newest game then they’d have to get an Xbox or play it on a PC.
Plus, Chief goes from an impossibility to an inevitability for Smash Next, he's arguably the biggest 3rd party left

Chuderz

Smash Journeyman
Plus what about the last costume being a Bethesda rep? That was pretty odd when paired with Sora maybe. I don't really know I'm just saying. Just a coincidence but also it'd catch Microsoft back up with Square's amount of reps for the entire Ultimate DLC with 3 each and in which both are the third-party companies that got DLC characters in BOTH seasons for Ultimate. Maybe Nintendo will take a bet on seasonal single-pack surprise DLC from a reliable third-party with an incentive to do so (only if assuming it'd be promotional for MCC though) and maybe they haven't even considered it at all and meant what they said in the Direct and Final Presentation. That's the most likely outcome so really it's over. Nintendo probably has no more plans for Smash. It's also just because all of these things would be cool it's likely that Sakurai wants his buddy's character to be the final character more than any of it and Nintendo has no plans for Smash for the foreseeable future. Oh well. Just observations for if the VGAs roll out and the TRUE unthinkable hype happens. It'd just be neat. Yep.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Plus, Chief goes from an impossibility to an inevitability for Smash Next, he's arguably the biggest 3rd party left
Even with Halo games on the Switch, an inevitability might be a bit strong when considering Chief's inclusion.

MegaAccf

Smash Cadet
NNID
MegaAccf
Switch FC
SW-7442-2784-2123
Yeah, it’s over guys. We just need to keep pushing for the idea of him in the next Smash game so that it actually happens.

It’s pretty apparent that Ultimate’s “fan choices” were chosen because of who was popular during Smash 4 & Ultimate’s base roster development. Hopefully they’ve noticed the Chief support or will notice it by the time they start making the next game.

The only thing to look out for at the VGAs is Halo coming to Switch since that’s one less potential hurdle Chief wouldn’t have to deal with.
You can push him for next game if you like. But if people wanted to expect him at VGA, let them. Don't ruin that dream for them. Also, the request picks from Smash Ultimate DLC were mostly chosen due to ballot via Smash 4. It's why we don't characters in speculation now, well besides Steve, Banjo, and Sora.

Also unsure of that "collab" you're talking about is MCC. Kinda doubt it tbh.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
Coming back in to say I feel good about Chief's chances for the next game. Hopefully MS and Nintendo are still on good terms by then. But if Infinite succeeds, there could be a new wave of support for him in Smash.

Speaking of, I remember seeing someone say there was some Japanese interest in the Infinite flight. How true is that?

Top Bottom