• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I need a weapon" - Master Chief

GreyJinjo

Smash Cadet
did anyone else point out that vergeben deleted his reddit post from e3

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Like others said, even if it's not him, we still have Infinite to look forward to.

Unlike Brian Jared, I think John is more sincere here and concrete, so I will go with low hype and expectation.

LunchPolice

Smash Apprentice
NNID
LunchPolice
3DS FC
5456-0847-1584
I definitely think it's possible this is a fake-out deconfirmation, but he really does seem to be going out of his way to spell out "N-O"
I'm keeping a little hope alive. One last time. But I'm open to whoever this mystery fighter may be.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yeah, either that 343 guy is pulling everyone’s leg at the moment and Chief is revealed in the morning, or he waited till the last minute to tell us this stuff. Kind of a **** either way.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
While Chief was my most wanted, Sora was up there for me. Wow. Great looking trailer, gameplay vids, etc. The attention to detail to Sora is fantastic. I wish we would have gotten that for Chief, but still, what a great ending to the DLC cycle.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Which stunt?
Still, have you tried Beta? The receptions have been mostly positive.
343 deconfirmed chief in the final hour definitively something they could have done months ago to let the blow hurt less.

Also I've heard the opposite, radar is completely useless and TTK is still too high like modern shooters, not to mention the no friendly fire creating grenade spam. Very unhalo qualities, just like 5.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
That mii costume wave may have very slightly gotten my hopes up, just the two Splatoon hats and Doom Slayer? Seems like a lead in to Chief.

Unfortunately not.
But Sora's pretty rad regardless and it's a great ending for Ultimate as a whole. Certainly far from the "low note" a bunch of people were doomposting about (or hoping for? weirdos).

Plus Infinite's coming and it's gonna be great per the vast majority of people that have played it now so we're still eating plenty good.

MegaAccf

Smash Cadet
NNID
MegaAccf
Switch FC
SW-7442-2784-2123
That mii costume wave may have very slightly gotten my hopes up, just the two Splatoon hats and Doom Slayer? Seems like a lead in to Chief.

Unfortunately not.
But Sora's pretty rad regardless and it's a great ending for Ultimate as a whole. Certainly far from the "low note" a bunch of people were doomposting about (or hoping for? weirdos).

Plus Infinite's coming and it's gonna be great per the vast majority of people that have played it now so we're still eating plenty good.

I KNOW RIGHT. I literally thought it was gonna be Chief after seeing that Mii Wave. I was thinking they're all SHOOTER characters.

And then Sora pulled up.

To be honest with the John guy on Twitter, kinda considering blocking him cuz yea he should've said it sooner. I mean I know there were kinda hints about it w/ Sketch and Frankiez. But like Frankiez was such a long time ago. And Sketch claims to like not to know anything. It wasn't on the same lines as John there. But John had to do it in the FINAL hour. Man he was telling the truth, but he was really ass about it though.

But I do not regret believing in Chief. We will get our chance one day. Hopefully.

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
343 deconfirmed chief in the final hour definitively something they could have done months ago to let the blow hurt less.

Also I've heard the opposite, radar is completely useless and TTK is still too high like modern shooters, not to mention the no friendly fire creating grenade spam. Very unhalo qualities, just like 5.

It's why it's better to see for yourself.
For every complaint, there have been praise and more.
Anyway, I think I will leave speculation scene soon.

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
It's out for Master Chief, but Sora is still a fantastic way to end things. Probably the only time Smash has ever ended on a high-note.

While we didn't get Chief, I still got Snake, Wolf, Ridley, K Rool, and Banjo. And I know Simon, Joker, Hero, Steve, Sephiroth, and Sora mean a whole lot to people. Can't say I have much to complain about. If you still need some solace, Chief is absolutely the next Microsoft character in line. Barring drastic cuts, I think his time will come eventually, even if it hasn't come now.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Well, since Chief didn't make it into Smash; maybe we can push Microsoft to make their own Smash Style Crossover? ;)

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
It's out for Master Chief, but Sora is still a fantastic way to end things. Probably the only time Smash has ever ended on a high-note.

While we didn't get Chief, I still got Snake, Wolf, Ridley, K Rool, and Banjo. And I know Simon, Joker, Hero, Steve, Sephiroth, and Sora mean a whole lot to people. Can't say I have much to complain about. If you still need some solace, Chief is absolutely the next Microsoft character in line. Barring drastic cuts, I think his time will come eventually, even if it hasn't come now.
Yeah, I doubt Microsoft can just easily let Banjo and Steve return next game without compensation.

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, I doubt Microsoft can just easily let Banjo and Steve return next game without compensation.
Do we have any evidence that Microsoft has hefty demands relative to other third party companies? I think the bigger problems facing those characters are that Steve sounds like an absolute pain to program, while Banjo is probably low on the priority of third parties to bring back as long as he has no new games.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Do we have any evidence that Microsoft has hefty demands relative to other third party companies? I think the bigger problems facing those characters are that Steve sounds like an absolute pain to program, while Banjo is probably low on the priority of third parties to bring back as long as he has no new games.
Phil Spencer mentioned how current relationship with Nintendo seems unsustainable. So, MS does want something in return. I mean sure, Smash acts as benefit for both parties, but we know that's not enough in MS' eyes.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Oh well, on to Smash 6.

Though Unyshek can go to hell, if he knew Chief wasn't coming to Smash, he should have said something months ago about it. But to wait until LITERALLY the last minute to say that, is one of the most dickish things I have ever seen

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Phil Spencer mentioned how current relationship with Nintendo seems unsustainable. So, MS does want something in return. I mean sure, Smash acts as benefit for both parties, but we know that's not enough in MS' eyes.
Yeah if it's not an ultimate 2 even if Master Chief were to pull up it wouldn't be the same. Besides the fact that Xbox games pass didn't come to the platform should be telling, somebody wanted a barrier.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
He just meant PORTING more Xbox games to Switch isn't sustainable. Stuff like bringing Minecraft to non-MS systems and letting Steve and Banjo in Smash are an entirely different thing altogether. And now we also have Banjo-Kazooie and potentially more Rare games to come being brought onto NSO, so I'm not worried about their relationship suddenly breaking down any time soon.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Unyshek didn’t spill the beans on Master Chief earlier because he knew that us pushing for him was still free marketing for the character at the end of the day. He used us for that, despite knowing Chief wouldn’t be in Smash at this time. :ohwell:

Happy with my Doomguy Mii costume though at least, knowing it’s likely the best representation the series will ever get.

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Source please?
He's talking about this

Again he's just talking about porting newer games that were designed for Xbox. Like what they did with the Ori duology.

Shouldn't really have any effect on Minecraft being on future Nintendo systems, nor Banjo and Steve being in Smash.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Unyshek didn’t spill the beans on Master Chief earlier because he knew that us pushing for him was still free marketing for the character at the end of the day. He used us for that, despite knowing Chief wouldn’t be in Smash at this time. :ohwell:

Happy with my Doomguy Mii costume though at least, knowing it’s likely the best representation the series will ever get.
Screw him. I'm serious. The right thing would have been to let people down gently, I would have had some respect for him if he was at least honest with us.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Yeah,

Yeah I will try my best to buy used if I buy anything from them,

MegaAccf

Smash Cadet
NNID
MegaAccf
Switch FC
SW-7442-2784-2123
What are your guys plans? Well besides Infinite of course. What are your guys plans besides Infinite? Not sure for me tbh

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
What are your guys plans? Well besides Infinite of course. What are your guys plans besides Infinite? Not sure for me tbh
I will stay bit longer and leave this site. It was fun speculating while it lasted. Clearing gamepass backlog while waiting on Infinite.

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
i think from now on, we should really get our voices heard more often about how much Chief deserves to be in Smash. If we do, then i'm sure for the next game, he'll be a shoe in. He is a icon after all. Honestly that increases his chances. Although it wont be the same because he will never be with all of these characters. Show nintendo your support for MC in smash bros!

Last edited:

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
i think from now on, we should really get our voices heard more often about how much Chief deserves in Smash. If we do, then i'm sure for the next game, he'll be a shoe in. He is a icon after all. Honestly that increases his chances. Although it wont be the same because he will never be with all of these characters. Show nintendo your support for MC in smash bros!
So, what did you think of the presentation? what did you think of the final fighter?

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

You should really give the game a chance. It seems like you’re just listening to the negative people who’ll never accept anything new. Most of the Halo community is loving Infinite so far including myself.

I’m a wee bit disappointed that Chief wasn’t the finale. But Sora was also in my top 10 most wanted characters & I wrote him off last year, so I’m super happy that he’s finally here.

I think Chief is a lock for the next game as long as MS & Nintendo are still friends. The Dante/Doom Slayer Miis prove that Nintendo knows about recent characters that have surged in popularity (post Ultimate reveal), so they surely know about Chief’s demand.

But I think they know Chief is too big of a deal to turn into a Mii first, so they’re just saving a big red carpet reveal for him later down the line.

It also seems that Nintendo was working on getting Steve, Sephiroth & Sora in Smash since the end of Smash 4. Perhaps they’re already working on negotiations for Chief (& Crash?) right now.

Sirfishe

Smash Ace
So, what did you think of the presentation? what did you think of the final fighter?
Presentation was pretty good. It was really emotional because this is the last time we're getting these characters together. This game is basically my childhood put together on the shelf. Its like a museum in a way. Halo is LITERALLY the last franchise i grew up with. It was tough because i wanted sora and masterchief. I was leaning more on MC though just because Chief is a big important part of gaming than Sora. Not saying Kingdom hearts isn't, its just that Halo changed how FPS are played and is a industry icon. Kingdom hearts is just a popular JRPG series but I don't think it made the same impact that halo did. I would have loved a fighter to be the first FPS rep in Smash bros. Its fresh, its new and it brings a lot of new mechanics. Sora is still just as fitting for a final reveal. I'm excited to play around with him.

The only thing i'm disappointed with is just very little things they could have added extra. Like the "BFG Division" for the Doom guy costume. I just wanted that track in Smash bros. As a metal head, I be jamming to that every match. Also I would have LOVED for cloud and sephiroth to get their KH outfits. Would have been amazing! Also maybe like 2 new KH mii costumes. Like a heartless, roxas or riku costume for the mii sword fighter. A few more tracks as well because there are so many great songs. I was expecting the simple & clean remix tbh.

From now on, I'm dedicated to get Master Chief in Smash. I will show my support for him until i die. One day chief will finish the fight.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Well guys it didn't happen. But you know what, it's ok. Sora is not my cup of tea but he clearly is for a lot of people and I'd rather not take that away from anyone. But it absolutely sucks that Chief will not get to celebrate in Smash Ultimate, even if there is a future Smash game, it won't be the same. At this point my only hope is that Ultimate develops a modding scene as big as Brawl's and someone just makes him. It's not the same but it's something.

But let's be real, this is the only thing Kingdom Hearts fans will have for a long while. You know they're not getting a new game anytime soon. We at least have Infinite to look forward to this winter. And from what I've generally heard and seen, Halo Infinite about to go crazy. I hope I'll see y'all there

I also would like to criticize the people at 343 for not just saying nothing happened. I remember Frank O Connor being very upfront about Chief not being in Season 1 very early. I would've hoped that the same would be true for Season 2. And by not saying anything, kind of set up Halo/Smash fans up for failure. Then again even after O'Connor made his statement, people still thought he was coming as CP5 so who knows.

But I'm now really curious what the big collab between Nintendo and Microsoft Shpeshal_Nick was talking about. Maybe it was nothing all this time.

Last edited:

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
What will I be doing now? Well, with Smash, I will be playing as Sora. I enjoy the character and I hope that I will in Smash too. As for Halo? Infinite is coming up! After the flights, I'm excited. Sure, I want to know a lot more about campaign, but I am happy with how the multiplayer is. There are some things that I wish were different, but overall, I am enjoying what we got and am ready for some more.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
He just meant PORTING more Xbox games to Switch isn't sustainable. Stuff like bringing Minecraft to non-MS systems and letting Steve and Banjo in Smash are an entirely different thing altogether. And now we also have Banjo-Kazooie and potentially more Rare games to come being brought onto NSO, so I'm not worried about their relationship suddenly breaking down any time soon.
While they are different matter, it still gives vibes that MS wants something in return. Ori and Cuphead were funded by MS, but Nintendo wouldn't allow Bayonetta on other platforms. While MS seems more easygoing than Square Enix, MS is still business. "You want Banjo and Steve to return? We want more this time."

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
While they are different matter, it still gives vibes that MS wants something in return. Ori and Cuphead were funded by MS, but Nintendo wouldn't allow Bayonetta on other platforms. While MS seems more easygoing than Square Enix, MS is still business. "You want Banjo and Steve to return? We want more this time."
Exactly.

Top Bottom