• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I need a weapon" - Master Chief

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
Alright, I'm hopping on the bandwagon. I'm betting some kind of Game Pass implementation on Switch. MCC port probably wouldn't warrant teasing multiple times, and Chief in Smash seems generally unlikely in the sense that no particular character is super likely to begin with. Only other option I can think of is a few Ori/Cuphead style ports. Is Will of Wisps on Switch yet? Maybe it's that and like, Gears Tactics or something.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Alright, I'm hopping on the bandwagon. I'm betting some kind of Game Pass implementation on Switch. MCC port probably wouldn't warrant teasing multiple times, and Chief in Smash seems generally unlikely in the sense that no particular character is super likely to begin with. Only other option I can think of is a few Ori/Cuphead style ports. Is Will of Wisps on Switch yet? Maybe it's that and like, Gears Tactics or something.
Will of the Wisps is on the Switch; it was released on the day that the Switch version was announced.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I imagine they’d port the Gears trilogy before Tactics. Just Tactics on Switch would be sort of hilarious lol

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I imagine they’d port the Gears trilogy before Tactics. Just Tactics on Switch would be sort of hilarious lol
That's what happened to Persona.... with Persona Q2 and Scramble, but no Persona 5 or Royal yet...

I think this sort of deal must've been under way quite some time. After all this is over, people will say how this deal has been so long like Minecraft.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
How will they port the Game Pass on Switch? i feel there are a large number of games they'd have to remove for the switch version for various reasons, such as Not Consuming Too Much Space for One Persons Switch or Because a couple of games on the game pass are already on the console or are planned to be on the console.

Makes me wonder if any of the Rare games will be on the pass such as Banjo Kazooie, Conker, Viva Pinata, and Killer Instinct.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
How will they port the Game Pass on Switch? i feel there are a large number of games they'd have to remove for the switch version for various reasons, such as Not Consuming Too Much Space for One Persons Switch or Because a couple of games on the game pass are already on the console or are planned to be on the console.

Makes me wonder if any of the Rare games will be on the pass such as Banjo Kazooie, Conker, Viva Pinata, and Killer Instinct.
My guess is it'll be Game Pass lite. Essentially only featuring the Microsoft Studios published titles. So anything published by them on the current platform would be on it.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
PC Gamepass already has different lineup from Xbox Gamepass. With acquisition of Bethesda, Gamepass might have been tempting offer to Nintendo.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

It could be exclusive to the rumored Switch Pro.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
My guess is it'll be Game Pass lite. Essentially only featuring the Microsoft Studios published titles. So anything published by them on the current platform would be on it.
This. A Game Pass Lite makes the most sense to me. Takes all other companies out of the deal, allowing just MS and Nintendo to work on it. Nintendo gets some Game Pass money. Xbox gets a better foothols in Japan.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Starting to think now if Halo on Switch does ever happen, it would have each game individually rather than the space/storage nightmare that is MCC. Halo 5’s the only one I question, but it’s not part of MCC anyway, nor is it even ported to PC at this time.

At any rate, the regular Switch is more than capable of running the other games regardless of whether the tired rumor about a Pro model happens or not.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
Starting to think now if Halo on Switch does ever happen, it would have each game individually rather than the space/storage nightmare that is MCC. Halo 5’s the only one I question, but it’s not part of MCC anyway, nor is it even ported to PC at this time.

At any rate, the regular Switch is more than capable of running the other games regardless of whether the tired rumor about a Pro model happens or not.
I could see them being ported individually, but I'd think that they'd be able to find ways for the Switch version(s) to take up less space - Doom Eternal went from 37.5 GB on Steam (or 39 GB on the Xbox One) to 17.5 GB on the Switch. Not sure how Panic Button pulled that off, but it seems to be a sign that this sort of thing is possible.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I could see them being ported individually, but I'd think that they'd be able to find ways for the Switch version(s) to take up less space - Doom Eternal went from 37.5 GB on Steam (or 39 GB on the Xbox One) to 17.5 GB on the Switch. Not sure how Panic Button pulled that off, but it seems to be a sign that this sort of thing is possible.
You can already download each Halo in PC Gamepass separately, so yeah

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

THE 6r

Smash Ace
NNID
6r$¢€£¥™©®
3DS FC
2981-7049-0538
Switch FC
SW-1195-6602-2525
https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...s_in_the_background_of_yet_another_xbox_video

Oi, here we go again.

Also, it doesn't seem like it would be game pass, so that'll narrow things down.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2..._nintendo_wont_allow_it_says_industry_analyst

It has to be the Master Chief Collection port. I don't see what else it would be.
A port of MCC would make sense given that they've ported it to Steam, so it's not like they're giving up console exclusivity on the game.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
There are a number of options I suppose. This is one. Another is they do what a lot of third-party games have done wherein they fill up the cart with part of the product, however many they can fit into 32 GB, and the rest are downloadable. Not ideal, but at least they're all there.

Another possibility is Nintendo starts rolling out those 64 GB carts now that they might be a bit cheaper to produce, maybe in line with the more powerful Switch revision. And that would give a lot more room to fit bigger games on-cart. Which would help not just for the MCC, but a bunch of third-party titles.

I want Master Chief in Smash Ultimate so could play Halo and become a fan of the series.
Well Master Chief is a pretty cool guy.

One who kills aliens.

And doesn't afraid of anything.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2...s_in_the_background_of_yet_another_xbox_video

Oi, here we go again.

Also, it doesn't seem like it would be game pass, so that'll narrow things down.

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2..._nintendo_wont_allow_it_says_industry_analyst

It has to be the Master Chief Collection port. I don't see what else it would be.
You do have to wonder if they would be sprinkling these hints were it something as comparatively minor as the likes of Cuphead and Ori. It seems unlikely to me. And it doesn't seem like it's Game Pass/xCloud or Goldeneye. So the plausible options do seem to be narrowing down.

And the fact that Halo on Switch has been whispered about for a while now doesn't hurt.

A port of MCC would make sense given that they've ported it to Steam, so it's not like they're giving up console exclusivity on the game.
Tbf Sony and Microsoft don't really treat PC as they do each other or Nintendo. A good number of first-party games eventually wind up on there.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

Oi, here we go again.

Hmm... That does seem like a very Nintendo thing to do. But who knows when he got that info. Maybe MS was able to convince Nintendo otherwise.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Reminder that a smug Geno 3D model existed for a good while, and the Cacomallow leak confused everyone.

False leakers will go through any lengths to get e-peen. So 3D renders wouldn't be outside the realm of possibility.
Fakes aside, they're often pretty damn sweet self-created models/renders. I wish we could get more of the various favorites(that have no chance to get in) made. :grin:

AmphabulouSnake

Smash Journeyman
Aight look, if I can't have my Doom Slayer then I'll have to make do with the other very very popular Space Marine.
Been watching videos on Master Chief's potential inclusion and moveset in Smash Ultimate since yesterday, and while I don't like his kit as much as Doom Slayer's arsenal, he would be a perfect substitute for the moment being ^^ (Kinda like how they put the most popular JRPG series Final Fantasy in Smash first before Dragon Quest, the grandfather of JRPGs)
Would make for a perfect challenger pack 11 to end dlc me thinks.
(My only major problem with Chief's inclusion is the music really, I feel like the Halo main theme is the only iconic Halo track, while DOOM is out here with like 15+ iconic music tracks across the whole franchise, idk might just be me, feel free to give me some Halo music recommendation that SLAPS)

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
Aight look, if I can't have my Doom Slayer then I'll have to make do with the other very very popular Space Marine.
Been watching videos on Master Chief's potential inclusion and moveset in Smash Ultimate since yesterday, and while I don't like his kit as much as Doom Slayer's arsenal, he would be a perfect substitute for the moment being ^^ (Kinda like how they put the most popular JRPG series Final Fantasy in Smash first before Dragon Quest, the grandfather of JRPGs)
(My only major problem with Chief's inclusion is the music really, I feel like the Halo main theme is the only iconic Halo track, while DOOM is out here with like 15+ iconic music tracks across the whole franchise, idk might just be me, feel free to give me some Halo music recommendation that SLAPS)
Halo's big tracks often fall back to the main motif or are simply atmospheric, but here are some of my favorites:

This next one includes the main theme but is the most notable variation of it:
This one I can see a more up-tempo remix for like Beneath the Mask:

Those are a couple of standout tracks from the main trilogy. I recommend skipping to their latter halves where they pick up the most steam.

Being fair though, only DOOM songs I could list off the top of my head are E1M1, BFG Division and The Only Thing They Fear is You, and I've played 2016 and Eternal. Wanna share some highlights?

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
This is what I’d use for Chief’s music in Smash. There’s tons of other great tracks though.

Main Theme
Brothers in Arms
A Walk In The Woods
Impend
Earth City
Behold A Pale Horse
One Final Effort
Skyline
Tip of the Spear
Mantis
Arrival
Walk Softly

Pacack

Super Pac-Fan
NNID
Pacack
3DS FC
0688-5284-6845
I have no personal attachment to Master Chief or Halo as a franchise, but I honestly do think he's a real possibility for an E3 reveal. Basically, my theory of the case is that third party companies with preexisting ties to Smash Bros. are more likely to get a new character than a new company is. A majority of companies with characters in Smash have three characters (if you count echoes). Two companies have just one, and Microsoft is the only company with two.

Bandai Namco: Pac-Man
SNK: Terry
Microsoft: Banjo & Kazooie, Steve
Konami: Snake, Simon, Richter
Sega: Sonic, Bayonetta, Joker
Capcom: Mega Man, Ryu, Ken
Square Enix: Cloud, Sephiroth, Hero

Given that Microsoft's mascot is not one of those two characters in Smash, it wouldn't surprise me to see him added. It would also make massive news, meaning more publicity for the game. If Nintendo really is the one responsible for choosing new characters, it makes sense from their perspective as a marketing decision.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
This is what I’d use for Chief’s music in Smash. There’s tons of other great tracks though.

Main Theme
Brothers in Arms
A Walk In The Woods
Impend
Earth City
Behold A Pale Horse
One Final Effort
Skyline
Tip of the Spear
Mantis
Arrival
Walk Softly
Don't forget Skyline, Overture, Mjolnir Mix/Gugnir Mix Breaking The Covenant/Blow Me Away (if Licensing isn't an issue), Finish The Fight, and One Final Effort, or even Broken Gates

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
Just wanted to point out, all threads have an elaborate title for their characters to make some form of catchphrase or even a pun.
This thread is just "I need a weapon", without any

Find it neat lol

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Just wanted to point out, all threads have an elaborate title for their characters to make some form of catchphrase or even a pun.
This thread is just "I need a weapon", without any

Find it neat lol
Chief is the weapon we need to dominate online & tourneys (when they come back).

I’m curious if they’d be able to balance out his guns so he doesn’t become a campy character everyone hates like poor Banjo (he’s still my main though lol). Halo’s gameplay usually forces you to get in the enemy’s faces to finish off kills eventually. They should try applying that to his playstyle & moveset.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
Chief is the weapon we need to dominate online & tourneys (when they come back).

I’m curious if they’d be able to balance out his guns so he doesn’t become a campy character everyone hates like poor Banjo (he’s still my main though lol). Halo’s gameplay usually forces you to get in the enemy’s faces to finish off kills eventually. They should try applying that to his playstyle & moveset.
Yeah I hope they could find a balance where his projectiles are as well served for offense as they are for defense, like Mario Fireball or something. Japan doesn't mind campy though, so we gotta hope they'd really pander to filthy gaijin with Chief :4pacman:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
They can make Chief's ranged attack more powerful than average, but requires players to hit enemy with melee attack to refill ammo. It's like black eye skull. If they implement shield recharge mechanic, this feature should be implemented to limit his ranged attack and shield. Or ammo and shield recharges over time, but refill much faster with melee.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
They can make Chief's ranged attack more powerful than average, but requires players to hit enemy with melee attack to refill ammo. It's like black eye skull. If they implement shield recharge mechanic, this feature should be implemented to limit his ranged attack and shield. Or ammo and shield recharges over time, but refill much faster with melee.
Hm.. I've heard that idea floated around

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Melee, gun and grenade are still trio even in post Bungie games. So, it's definitely something that Sakurai will try to get right. Still, other characters kinda already do that. Then again, Sephiroth and Pyra/Mythra weren't really original to begin with.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Melee, gun and grenade are still trio even in post Bungie games. So, it's definitely something that Sakurai will try to get right. Still, other characters kinda already do that. Then again, Sephiroth and Pyra/Mythra weren't really original to begin with.
Tbf, we don’t have anyone who uses guns for the majority of their kit. The closest thing is Inkling but they’re sort of weird lol

I think Chief would stand out by having the FPS staples of Assault rifle, Pistol, sniper rifle, shotgun & rockets alone. Not even mentioning unique Halo guns like the Needler, Plasma Pistol, Spartan Laser, etc...

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Tbf, we don’t have anyone who uses guns for the majority of their kit. The closest thing is Inkling but they’re sort of weird lol

I think Chief would stand out by having the FPS staples of Assault rifle, Pistol, sniper rifle, shotgun & rockets alone. Not even mentioning unique Halo guns like the Needler, Plasma Pistol, Spartan Laser, etc...
That's not even mentioning equipments, vehicles, assassination, Nicole's moveset from DOA4, etc...

Top Bottom