• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I need a weapon" - Master Chief

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
So what do you think about the 343 community director very recently talking about on Twitter how he wants Chief?

(this one was right before the Feb direct)
It's still nowhere as damning as Doom director commenting.

Brian is a community manager, not someone within development team.
There is a reason why people are feeling Hayabusa is deconfirmed because Yasuda is the head of Team Ninja, not a mere community manager.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
We got the Audio Design this month

Battle Rifle and Skewer sound amazing and I'm certain there's some Flood and Scarab sounds in there

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Brawl was a golden era? With newcomers sure, but certainly not in gameplay.

Smash 4 was more or less a content divided beta Ultimate. Namco was one of the better things to happen to Smash regardless. Can’t say I miss some of the old mechanics such as edge hogging.
I’ve definitely seen a lot of Brawl nostalgia lately. Most people seem to rank it over Smash 4 now. I don’t agree with that personally; though I do think Brawl has the best newcomers & Subspace is great.

Ultimate’s newcomer list is preeeetty close to Brawl’s. If these next two characters are bangers, it could beat Brawl’s. A certain green space soldier would seal that deal.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I’ve definitely seen a lot of Brawl nostalgia lately. Most people seem to rank it over Smash 4 now. I don’t agree with that personally; though I do think Brawl has the best newcomers & Subspace is great.

Ultimate’s newcomer list is preeeetty close to Brawl’s. If these next two characters are bangers, it could beat Brawl’s. A certain green space soldier would seal that deal.
I can understand for those whose first game was Brawl, but Subspace I was never particularly a fan of. Sakurai was right to be upset about the cutscenes and everything being leaked because if you saw them, you already experienced like 80% of of the mode itself, while the remaining 20% was average (or sometimes less than) platforming levels filled with generic backgrounds and enemies. If some of the characters had voice acting like in the World of Light opening scene, the scenes would've been more memorable. On paper there's enough voiced and silent characters in Smash to make a full story work without necessarily having everyone do dialogue, but everyone being mute like in Subpsace was dumb imo. Lastly, most of Brawl’s development time and resources went to Subspace, which left the rest of the game not feeling as polished as it otherwise could've been. If Subspace was fairly replayable it might've been worth it, but it was one of those one and done type modes that there was no reason or incentive to go back to once you had everyone unlocked. The character reveal trailers for Smash 4 and Ultimate are the spiritual successor to Subspace if nothing else, with them being the “cutscenes” of it. Just wish Ultimate had a menu someplace where you could rewatch the character trailers like in SSB4.

Yeah, at the very least Ultimate's newcomer set is on par with Brawl's, with the last yet to be seen characters being critical on how it'll rated overall. Of course I'm biased in weighing Ultimate because of Ridley and other long anticipated characters & franchises I never thought would happen, so I already give Ult the edge in having more whom I have a particular attachment to, but Brawl still had a number of iconic additions that were overdue and should've been in since at least Melee, so it tied up a lot of loose ends there similarly.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Okay, new prediction. I'm going to be crazy and will predict that Chosen Undead and Crash Bandicoot (are the final two (with Ryu Hayabusa being an alternative pick), but Master Chief is a bonus Fighter Pack.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I can understand for those whose first game was Brawl, but Subspace I was never particularly a fan of. Sakurai was right to be upset about the cutscenes and everything being leaked because if you saw them, you already experienced like 80% of of the mode itself, while the remaining 20% was average (or sometimes less than) platforming levels filled with generic backgrounds and enemies. If some of the characters had voice acting like in the World of Light opening scene, the scenes would've been more memorable. On paper there's enough voiced and silent characters in Smash to make a full story work without necessarily having everyone do dialogue, but everyone being mute like in Subpsace was dumb imo. Lastly, most of Brawl’s development time and resources went to Subspace, which left the rest of the game not feeling as polished as it otherwise could've been. If Subspace was fairly replayable it might've been worth it, but it was one of those one and done type modes that there was no reason or incentive to go back to once you had everyone unlocked. The character reveal trailers for Smash 4 and Ultimate are the spiritual successor to Subspace if nothing else, with them being the “cutscenes” of it. Just wish Ultimate had a menu someplace where you could rewatch the character trailers like in SSB4.

Yeah, at the very least Ultimate's newcomer set is on par with Brawl's, with the last yet to be seen characters being critical on how it'll rated overall. Of course I'm biased in weighing Ultimate because of Ridley and other long anticipated characters & franchises I never thought would happen, so I already give Ult the edge in having more whom I have a particular attachment to, but Brawl still had a number of iconic additions that were overdue and should've been in since at least Melee, so it tied up a lot of loose ends there similarly.
Yeah, the newcomer trailers do a lot to help fill in that Subspace hole. I was very glad when Ultimate’s DLC started getting them. I was worried they wouldn’t since Smash 4’s didn’t. It’ll always be lame that MFing Ryu & Cloud didn’t get these great, CG trailers.

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky
Yeah, the newcomer trailers do a lot to help fill in that Subspace hole. I was very glad when Ultimate’s DLC started getting them. I was worried they wouldn’t since Smash 4’s didn’t. It’ll always be lame that MFing Ryu & Cloud didn’t get these great, CG trailers.
They've at least made up with Sephiroth's trailer for featuring Cloud. As far as I'm aware Ryu hasn't yet appeared in a CG trailer.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
They've at least made up with Sephiroth's trailer for featuring Cloud. As far as I'm aware Ryu hasn't yet appeared in a CG trailer.
Yeah I do think Cloud getting such a showcase in that trailer was Sakurai trying to make up for it. I wish Ryu could’ve got the same treatment in Ken’s trailer.

Xehanort1372019

Smash Journeyman
Okay, new prediction. I'm going to be crazy and will predict that Chosen Undead and Crash Bandicoot (are the final two (with Ryu Hayabusa being an alternative pick), but Master Chief is a bonus Fighter Pack.
Can I ask why for these predictions? Just asking.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Can I ask why for these predictions? Just asking.
It's just a feeling. Crash Bandicoot, Dark Souls, Halo, and Ninja Gaiden all seem like the likeliest new franchises to be added to Smash right now. This is based on a few things each has going for it. Master Chief in particular seems like a character that could be a separate pack. This is due to how big he is and how Nintendo would be foolish to turn him down if Master Chief was offered to them. That, and the fact that we already have a Microsoft character in Vol. 2. So, having another Microsoft rep might be weird. That being said, I did say it was crazy for a reason. It's not something that's actually all that likely. It's just that I want to be bold, lol.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeak...pit_appears_to_have_become_a_placeholder_for/

Make of this as you will.

Chief would definitely be an E3 reveal if he does happen
Still say he won't be a guarantee until I see King Zell's mythical hint at a Halo Switch thing show up.

Kinda doubt that a dinky Minecraft skin and Fortnite crossplay would be enough for him to show up, so if we see him get something official for his series, it would be at E3 (plus Sak does love his Nintendo-related spin-off loopholes for third parties).

Brawl was a golden era? With newcomers sure, but certainly not in gameplay.

Smash 4 was more or less a content divided beta Ultimate. Namco was one of the better things to happen to Smash regardless. Can’t say I miss some of the old mechanics such as edge hogging.
On the flipside, Namco sure is strangely modest about lending its characters for fighters, only Pac-Man came from them so far.

Another case of an insider talking about Chief in a positive light, just like with Imran Kahn. Hmm....
Doesn't he strictly cover Directs? I'm not sure he'd have much better luck than other insiders to know of Pass 2's DLC. Also, he's heavily suspected to dislike Crash and his fans, but that's besides the point. Edit: Disregard this last part, I've mixed him up with Liam Robertson.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
On the flipside, Namco sure is strangely modest about lending its characters for fighters, only Pac-Man came from them so far.
I believe it was something about Sakurai saying he didn’t want Namco getting special treatment for 3rd party additions just because they were the developers or something along those lines, but can’t remember for sure. Was years ago that I saw that.

I would’ve liked another fighter from them like Lloyd or someone, but has become more doubtful with all the time that’s gone by, though remains a possibility.

MattX20

Smash Hero
https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeak...pit_appears_to_have_become_a_placeholder_for/

Make of this as you will.

Still say he won't be a guarantee until I see King Zell's mythical hint at a Halo Switch thing show up.

Kinda doubt that a dinky Minecraft skin and Fortnite crossplay would be enough for him to show up, so if we see him get something official for his series, it would be at E3 (plus Sak does love his Nintendo-related spin-off loopholes for third parties).

Doesn't he strictly cover Directs? I'm not sure he'd have much better luck than other insiders to know of Pass 2's DLC. Also, he's heavily suspected to dislike Crash and his fans, but that's besides the point.
You do realize that the ever elusive Master Chief Collection Switch port could be saved for marketing synergy purposes for his inclusion in Ultimate right? Nothing is guaranteed, but it is something to speculate on

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
E3 is just over a couple months away. Seems like a great time for either Crash to spin us right round...or for Chief to finish the fight. Fingers crossed, Spartans!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You do realize that the ever elusive Master Chief Collection Switch port could be saved for marketing synergy purposes for his inclusion in Ultimate right? Nothing is guaranteed, but it is something to speculate on
Precisely. I figure that for an E3 reveal to work, the collection would have to be announced around the same time that MC becomes a fighter at the event.

I believe it was something about Sakurai saying he didn’t want Namco getting special treatment for 3rd party additions just because they were the developers or something along those lines, but can’t remember for sure. Was years ago that I saw that.

I would’ve liked another fighter from them like Lloyd or someone, but has become more doubtful with all the time that’s gone by, though remains a possibility.
Makes sense, though this means it'll take a while before Namco ever gets anyone new. It took two games before we got any :ultkirby: besides the little guy, after all.

Also, he ran into issues trying to adapt Heihachi's moveset for Smash, so far, so that doesn't help.

That being said, I'll wait as long as it takes. At least this'll encourage support for other Bamco characters to increase by the time all support for the Switch eventually ends around five years from now.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Makes sense, though this means it'll take a while before Namco ever gets anyone new. It took two games before we got any :ultkirby: besides the little guy, after all.

Also, he ran into issues trying to adapt Heihachi's moveset for Smash, so far, so that doesn't help.

That being said, I'll wait as long as it takes. At least this'll encourage support for other Bamco characters to increase by the time all support for the Switch eventually ends around five years from now.
Am not really a Tekken fan, so Heihachi doesn’t interest me and in fact find kinda boring, though same can be said for Lloyd for those that haven’t played his game. Either would be a nice addition for a certain amount of people, though I don’t think it’s a sure thing even with another game, but if Namco and Sakurai/Smash remain partners for life or something, then it’ll help for those characters among other things.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Am not really a Tekken fan, so Heihachi doesn’t interest me and in fact find kinda boring, though same can be said for Lloyd for those that haven’t played his game. Either would be a nice addition for a certain amount of people, though I don’t think it’s a sure thing even with another game, but if Namco and Sakurai/Smash remain partners for life or something, then it’ll help for those characters among other things.
Sora, as a company without Bamco involvement right now, is comprised of Sak and his wife, so I don't think that'd be much of an issue.

If anything, I might expect Agumon to be likelier at some point, seeing as the Bandai side still has yet to get anything at all.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Namco characters have enough support now where I think one will happen in the next game. I have big doubts about it happening in these last two spots though.

It’s a bit ridiculous that they’ve had that mindset though. There wouldn’t be a backlash for more Namco characters unless they started taking up half the roster or something lol

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I am skeptical about another Namco rep after Heihachi and Gil costumes. I mean it's possible to fill Mii costumes with random ones or costumes from the fighter's series. But, what's the point of revealing Namco costume now instead of holding them back for next Namco rep?

We can say the same about Chief's chance, but at least Steve strictly came only with Minecraft stuff, no other MS contents.

And Cuphead isn't first party for MS.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Namco characters have enough support now where I think one will happen in the next game. I have big doubts about it happening in these last two spots though.

It’s a bit ridiculous that they’ve had that mindset though. There wouldn’t be a backlash for more Namco characters unless they started taking up half the roster or something lol
I am skeptical about another Namco rep after Heihachi and Gil costumes. I mean it's possible to fill Mii costumes with random ones or costumes from the fighter's series. But, what's the point of revealing Namco costume now instead of holding them back for next Namco rep?

We can say the same about Chief's chance, but at least Steve strictly came only with Minecraft stuff, no other MS contents.

And Cuphead isn't first party for MS.
Yeah, though it's pointless to try and convince most people that a Bamco character isn't coming. They're not prepared for the possibility of strongly campaigning for every single noteworthy one of them besides :ultpacman:, just because of the company not getting any favoritism so that other third-parties can get their time to shine.

Granted, they're running out of big-name Japanese third-parties to pool from, so they may have no other choice but to go back to the Bamco well eventually.

Then again, Namco does have a checkered history of not wanting to cater to their Western fans very much...

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
Wow, so it's nearly been 3 years since I posted on this thread. As much as I'd still love to see MC I suppose I just don't think he's very likely, but probably a lot less so than I used to. Crash and MC are my dream end for Ultimate, but it probably isn't very realistic. Honestly I think it's very possible I'll get neither, sadly.

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
It's possible that they want to save big shots like Chief for future installment. Or even potential FP3. In that sense, it makes sense to save him for later. But, we will see. People change their mind. Nintendo doesn't always make consistent choice and decision. We will see.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Wow, so it's nearly been 3 years since I posted on this thread. As much as I'd still love to see MC I suppose I just don't think he's very likely, but probably a lot less so than I used to. Crash and MC are my dream end for Ultimate, but it probably isn't very realistic. Honestly I think it's very possible I'll get neither, sadly.
I have it in my head that these two characters are the last of the mascot eras of games. Crash for Sony back then, and Chief for Xbox. Would be amazing if these two rounded out the pass.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
You know, I've been thinking about it. If Nintendo or Microsoft announces that Xbox Game Pass is coming to the Switch at E3, then Master Chief will revealed after that.
I remember seeing one proposal. Make Game Pass Switch version like PC version. Put games that Nintendo agree on. I guess Xbox first party (games that Switch can handle) would be no brainer. Since Bethesda is under MS now, this offer may be tempting for Nintendo. Third party games may be tricky since Nintendo would most likely keep conservative stance. Phil said current relationship is unsustainable, but he said he would be open to Game Pass on Switch. So, I guess the latter option would be profitable?
MS did say Nintendo was no longer their competitor. They might as well treat Switch as Xbox handheld device and gateway to Japan market if Series S/X can't stick to Japan.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
It's possible that they want to save big shots like Chief for future installment. Or even potential FP3. In that sense, it makes sense to save him for later. But, we will see. People change their mind. Nintendo doesn't always make consistent choice and decision. We will see.
I could see that happening. But I’d take advantage of the MS relationship as much as possible now. It’s brand new, so we don’t know it’s longevity.

I have it in my head that these two characters are the last of the mascot eras of games. Crash for Sony back then, and Chief for Xbox. Would be amazing if these two rounded out the pass.
I think they’re the biggest game characters not in yet. They’re my ideal final two, but there’s no way we’re that lucky. 😥

I remember seeing one proposal. Make Game Pass Switch version like PC version. Put games that Nintendo agree on. I guess Xbox first party (games that Switch can handle) would be no brainer. Since Bethesda is under MS now, this offer may be tempting for Nintendo. Third party games may be tricky since Nintendo would most likely keep conservative stance. Phil said current relationship is unsustainable, but he said he would be open to Game Pass on Switch. So, I guess the latter option would be profitable?
MS did say Nintendo was no longer their competitor. They might as well treat Switch as Xbox handheld device and gateway to Japan market if Series S/X can't stick to Japan.
I think that’d be a wise idea. I think it’d be valuable for MS to get their IPs a Japanese audience & the Switch could be the way to do that. I think Halo could be bigger in Japan if it was on a console that the Japanese want to buy.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Honestly, I am surprised we haven't seen a "Game Pass Lite" yet. I think this could be a way to see Game Pass on different platforms.

Game Pass Lite would be cheaper, but would only have first party MS games on it. MS controls their properties, so they don't have to worry about 3rd party issues. Make it cheaper than Game Pass and chat with Nintendo to see. Gets the 3rd Party issues out of the way, and gets the MS games on the Nintendo Switch platform.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I could actually see GamePass on the Switch.. Obviously, no GTA or Gears (too violent), but Halo and Forza, yes
Doom which is just as if not more violent than Gears is on Switch. So, Gears should be fine. And, there were GTA games on Nintendo platforms before, so it's matter of Rockstar, not Nintendo. Nintendo wouldn't mind seeing those kinds of games on their platform, but featuring them in Smash is different story.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Doom which is just as if not more violent than Gears is on Switch. So, Gears should be fine. And, there were GTA games on Nintendo platforms before, so it's matter of Rockstar, not Nintendo. Nintendo wouldn't mind seeing those kinds of games on their platform, but featuring them in Smash is different story.
And Nintendo did allow Mortal Kombat 11, so I guess you are right

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
More rumor and news!

1618054885354.png

1618054904611.png

The guy who accurately predicted Gearbox acquisition and FF7R addition to PS+

Interesting... next E3 will be during summer, not fall. So, what does that tell us about timing of Chief's reveal?

"I've been told that Everything on Phil's shelf meant something, even the Switch"

I think King Zell was dead serious. I mean he wasn't only one who hear Switch port rumor.
It really is coming all together!

exlk

Smash Rookie
Woah. So, speculating for Master Chief in Smash, E3 reveal then fall release like Banjo and Kazooie almost two years ago? Hmm. The broader implications elsewhere of the insiders' hints L Lionfranky are very interesting, to say the least.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
It’s odd that they decided to go with 6 characters instead of 5 like with FP1. Maybe MS asked to add Chief in at the last moment as a way to promote GamePass on Switch. Which could also promote the Switch Pro since I doubt GP would work on base Switch.

Yoshi-Thomas

Smash Champion
It’s odd that they decided to go with 6 characters instead of 5 like with FP1. Maybe MS asked to add Chief in at the last moment as a way to promote GamePass on Switch. Which could also promote the Switch Pro since I doubt GP would work on base Switch.
While I don't think it would be linked with the GP, I can see the reason why there were six characters instead of five because of this reason. Either Microsoft or Square Enix wanted a second character in this pass.
And since I'm biased I'm going with Master Chief.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
While I don't think it would be linked with the GP, I can see the reason why there were six characters instead of five because of this reason. Either Microsoft or Square Enix wanted a second character in this pass.
And since I'm biased I'm going with Master Chief.
Yeah it could be Square too. I think Nier: Automata could end up on the Pro & maybe they asked to get 2B in Smash because of that.

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
More rumor and news!

View attachment 310760

View attachment 310761

The guy who accurately predicted Gearbox acquisition and FF7R addition to PS+

Interesting... next E3 will be during summer, not fall. So, what does that tell us about timing of Chief's reveal?

"I've been told that Everything on Phil's shelf meant something, even the Switch"

I think King Zell was dead serious. I mean he wasn't only one who hear Switch port rumor.
It really is coming all together!
I think the reveal of Chief will be in fall along with the announcement of Xbox Game Pass coming to the Switch. And as for who's going to be revealed at E3 this summer, I think it's going to be Crash. So since Chief is more likely now. I want to predict his color alts besides his default.
Platinum: references the Arbiter
Red: references Sarge
Maroon: references Simmons
Orange: references Grif
Cobalt: references Church
Aqua: references Tucker
Blue: refereences Caboose

Top Bottom