• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I need a weapon" - Master Chief

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I'm entirely not sure how much Japan factors in. Out of 20 million sales, 5 million come from Japan. But, I'm pretty sure tiny fraction of them knew Banjo. Let's face it. Banjo isn't that more popular or famous than Halo there. Bringing Japan ballot is not a good argument. BTW, does anyone have link to this supposed Smash Japanese ballot that show Banjo had massive support in Japan? I keept hearing about it, but never saw it myself. Then again, so did Geno, but look how that turned out.

Out of current Ultimate DLC franchises, only Minecraft sold more than Halo. It's stupid to reject Chief just because of Japan. Smash sold way more from non-Japanese regions, especially North America. Just because they did double showcase with Hero and Banjo doesn't mean the pattern has to follow. I'm fine with double reveal, but it's not mandatory for Chief imo.
Are you including Sephiroth/FF or does he not count since FF was already in the game? FF’s the third biggest series in Smash, only behind Mario & Pokemon.

A few other people and I on the Forest Maze Discord server are predicting Chosen Undead and Master Chief as the final two Fighters.

Chosen Undead would come with the Lloyd Irving Mii Costume (both Bandai Namco published RPGs). Plus, Sakurai has played all the Souls games and talked about them on Famitsu. And with there already being an Amiibo of Solaire, it seems like something Nintendo would choose for Smash.

Master Chief fits the bill as the final Fighter (finish the fight and all that). And with rumors of the Master Chief Collection coming to Switch heating back up recently, it would make sense to reveal both at the same time.

How would you guys feel if they were the final two?
That’d be a pretty hype way to end things off. I haven’t played Dark Souls, but it’s one of the most beloved & influential games of the past decade. It’s basically created its own genre.

I definitely hope there’s fire behind the smoke of a MCC port. It would make sense as an additional way to celebrate Halo’s 20th anniversary. It could also drum up hype for Infinite & the Series X. “Oh, you like the old ones? Well, the new one isn’t coming to Switch but you can play it on Xbox Series X or PC!”

I think it’s possible that we have 6 characters in this pass instead of 5 because a character got added at the last minute. Especially since the FP2 reveal called special attention to the 6th character. It would make a lot of sense if Microsoft brought up Master Chief near the end of Steve’s negotiations & they rushed to make sure he could get in.

Perhaps that’s why they only said “additional fighters are in development!” after Terry’s reveal & didn’t tell us it was a full on pass until 4 & a half months later. Negotiations for the 6th fighter may have still been going on.

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Are you including Sephiroth/FF or does he not count since FF was already in the game? FF’s the third biggest series in Smash, only behind Mario & Pokemon.
Yes, I am counting FF. By individual basis, Halo sold more than FF. Since there are more FF games, FF has sold more games overall as franchise, but their peak game tells something different. Halo 3 sold more than FF7. If we bring their most recent sales, Halo 5 still beats FF7 remakes. There is a reason why we say Minecraft is the best selling game. Technically, Fortnite has more player than Minecraft afaik. But, you see my point.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Chief would break the internet
Without a doubt. Just like Sonic back in the Brawl days.

This is why the rumors have picked back up. "New places to play" makes a lot of sense to be Switch.
Ah, yeah, we talked about it. Definitely set the bar too high on that statement. Still haven't ruled out it being on the Switch! Just that the statement was more lackluster than fans of other platforms had hoped.

GolisoPower

Smash Master

So has anybody seen this?

I don't know what anyone's stance on "Glitch Theory" is, but this is just something I thought I'd post here. Why? Well, I've been sharing this, and while it does say it could lead to Reimu, one of my friends thought of the idea that it's because they're attempting to make headshots, and Master Chief was the first thing I thought of once I heard that.

Thoughts, anyone?

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman

I don't know what anyone's stance on "Glitch Theory" is, but this is just something I thought I'd post here. Why? Well, I've been sharing this, and while it does say it could lead to Reimu, one of my friends thought of the idea that it's because they're attempting to make headshots, and Master Chief was the first thing I thought of once I heard that.

Thoughts, anyone?
Interesting idea, though I think Glitch Theory hasn't been proven definitively to have led to any character. Of course, if Chief were included I'd love to see a headshot mechanic; as the post says, every character already has a head hitbox, which I'm pretty sure is literally only relevant to Marth and Lucina's Shield Breaker. Of course, I'm sure this is an unrelated glitch that comes from some change they made to in the most recent patch

2006ToyotaTacoma

Smash Journeyman

Thoughts, anyone?
As much as I want Reimu and Master Chief, I'm certain a glitch does not act as a hint towards the next DLC.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I don’t think Glitch Theory is a 100% of the time thing. But there was glitches with Mii Sword fighter & Duck Hunt right before Hero & Banjo. So there is some merit too.

I’m not too familiar with Touhou outside of it being a bullet hell game. How would that apply to Reimu? I can’t imagine headshots being in that series lol

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I don’t think Glitch Theory is a 100% of the time thing. But there was glitches with Mii Sword fighter & Duck Hunt right before Hero & Banjo. So there is some merit too.

I’m not too familiar with Touhou outside of it being a bullet hell game. How would that apply to Reimu? I can’t imagine headshots being in that series lol
In this case, it has to do with a mechanic called Grazing, in which a projectile hits the sprite of your character, but not the hurtbox, which is very tiny in the Touhou games. In the video shown in the tweet, you can see the effect that shows when phantom hits, a present-yet-very-obscure mechanic in Smash Bros, lands on a character. The poster even makes the conclusion that the next character is gonna be Reimu because of it.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
In this case, it has to do with a mechanic called Grazing, in which a projectile hits the sprite of your character, but not the hurtbox, which is very tiny in the Touhou games. In the video shown in the tweet, you can see the effect that shows when phantom hits, a present-yet-very-obscure mechanic in Smash Bros, lands on a character. The poster even makes the conclusion that the next character is gonna be Reimu because of it.
Hmm... interesting. Maybe it could be for both characters. Japan & US shooters, babyyy

There’s also this:

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I just want to say, while the glitch should be taken with a grain of salt, I feel like implementing headshots for an FPS character is just the perfect amount of extra effort that Sakurai would put into the concept. It's so easy for me to imagine.

Also I can't remember if I ever voiced my support in this thread before, but I would absolutely love for Chief to join the fight. My confidence in him has been rising lately, and I hope that gut feeling ends up panning out because I think Master Chief is just about the most "ultimate" character we can get at this point. I have no strong attachment to Halo directly, but it's hard to ignore the significance and excitement that having Chief in the game would provide.

Not to mention, I really want to see more genres implemented into Smash. The lack of FPS in Smash is not only unfortunate from a historical representation standpoint, but also from a gameplay standpoint. These genres provide different ways of play, fresh new experiences that when implemented into Smash would result in some very unique new characters. When thinking about who to represent the genre, I can't imagine anyone more suited than Master Chief.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I just want to say, while the glitch should be taken with a grain of salt, I feel like implementing headshots for an FPS character is just the perfect amount of extra effort that Sakurai would put into the concept. It's so easy for me to imagine.

Also I can't remember if I ever voiced my support in this thread before, but I would absolutely love for Chief to join the fight. My confidence in him has been rising lately, and I hope that gut feeling ends up panning out because I think Master Chief is just about the most "ultimate" character we can get at this point. I have no strong attachment to Halo directly, but it's hard to ignore the significance and excitement that having Chief in the game would provide.

Not to mention, I really want to see more genres implemented into Smash. The lack of FPS in Smash is not only unfortunate from a historical representation standpoint, but also from a gameplay standpoint. These genres provide different ways of play, fresh new experiences that when implemented into Smash would result in some very unique new characters. When thinking about who to represent the genre, I can't imagine anyone more suited than Master Chief.
Headshots are pretty important to Halo’s gameplay too. I find it more important to consistently get them in Halo than in other games. So I feel a headshot mechanic would fit Chief very well.

& I agree full heartedly about more genres being represented. I love JRPGs but it’s a bit annoying that they’ve taken up half the DLC so far while FPS, horror, Visual Novel, Beat Em Up, etc... games have literally no characters.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Definitely taking this with a grain of salt, like we all should. However, it doesn't mean that it isn't fun to speculate on it!

So, headshots are important in Halo, but only after a shield has been broken(insta-kill). Since we are speculating that this could be a mechanic for Chief, how about this: Headshots for Chief do more damage/knockback if the character is either a.) stunned from a shield break or b.) extremely high damage. What is everyone else in here thinking?

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Definitely taking this with a grain of salt, like we all should. However, it doesn't mean that it isn't fun to speculate on it!

So, headshots are important in Halo, but only after a shield has been broken(insta-kill). Since we are speculating that this could be a mechanic for Chief, how about this: Headshots for Chief do more damage/knockback if the character is either a.) stunned from a shield break or b.) extremely high damage. What is everyone else in here thinking?
Maybe it’d work both ways too. I could see Chief having a shield gimmick, so if his shields are down he’d take extra damage from headshots.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Also, if we already got Steve and Banjo, I 100% believe Microsoft at least asked about the possibility of Master Chief coming to Smash
It was atleast talked about for a second. Though, Id said they talked to Nintendo about DoomGuy & it went nowhere. I have to imagine Ubisoft’s brought up Rayman too & he’s nowhere to be found. So a company bringing someone up to Nintendo isn’t a guarantee into Smash.

Though maybe Nintendo gave Bethesda the cold shoulder because they already have Chief?

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
It was atleast talked about for a second. Though, Id said they talked to Nintendo about DoomGuy & it went nowhere. I have to imagine Ubisoft’s brought up Rayman too & he’s nowhere to be found. So a company bringing someone up to Nintendo isn’t a guarantee into Smash.

Though maybe Nintendo gave Bethesda the cold shoulder because they already have Chief?
Possible..

And honestly, if Chief does get in, it may be Sakurai and Nintendo throwing us Westerners a bone

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Maybe it’d work both ways too. I could see Chief having a shield gimmick, so if his shields are down he’d take extra damage from headshots.
I could see that, but would it be projectile based only, or just being hit in the head in general? I guess a negative thing on a character as their gimmick would kind of be weird, the more I think about it.

I have always been a fan of the different guns for his playstyle gimmick. However, the headshot thing could be easier to implement, maybe? I'm not sure, but less things to make.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I could see that, but would it be projectile based only, or just being hit in the head in general? I guess a negative thing on a character as their gimmick would kind of be weird, the more I think about it.

I have always been a fan of the different guns for his playstyle gimmick. However, the headshot thing could be easier to implement, maybe? I'm not sure, but less things to make.
I think he can have both. Steve has multiple levels of gimmicky stuff going so it wouldn’t be a stretch for Chief to have shields & weapon swapping.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Going to bump the thread with this fun tidbit I just found. Microsoft’s finally updated Halo’s sales figures & it’s at 81 mil now. Just a million shy of Dragon Quest! Just adding fuel to the fire of how massive & important Halo is, which is why it should get some love in Smash.

A76DD7D1-70BA-42F9-85A0-09372D449D42.jpeg

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
Never played Halo outside of the free demo but Master Chief is a worth addition to the roster. Good luck to his supporters.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

From the #ask343 thing, disappointed at some of the news like no playable Elites, a feature I had been anticipating to return for so long... :( Same with dual wielding to some extent.

Infinite was needing some more hype and this... Isn’t helping.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I liked most of that info tbh. No Elites or duel wielding is expected tbh. But with Halo: Infinite supposedly having a long lifespan, I think they could add both as big updates down the line.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I loved Halo 3 back in high school.

I do hope at some point we get both MC and DoomGuy.

Also I never ever what to hear anyone say they look too much alike, as we have like 25% of this roster filled with anime sword boys.\
I sub-main Sephiroth, but facts are facts.
:ultbyleth::ultcloud::ultcorrin::ulthero::ultike::ultchrom::ultsephiroth::ulttoonlink::ultshulk::ultrobin::ultroy::ultpyra::ultmarth::ultlucina::ultpit::ultdarkpit::ulttoonlink::ultlink:
There are a lot, two dudes in power armor ain't gonna hurt.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
No Elites and Dual Wield is to be expected at this point really.
Elites have their own hitboxes and stuff so maps have to also be built to accommodate them otherwise you had areas that only Spartans could go in. That would create a neat map dynamic in certain modes but by and large, it's extra work. They are leaving the door open for them down the line though.

Dual Wield basically made certain weapons awful on their own because of the mechanic so I'm alright with it not returning if it means pistols and plasma rifles can be better than they have been in 2 and 3.

No hostile wildlife is kinda crap though, the Guta encounter in Halo Reach really stands out because you can just leave them to kill the Grunts and then they'll go to sleep or you can take a risk and run through the chaos. It'd lend itself well to the dynamic encounters 343 want.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
In this age, there is always coming back with update and dlc.
They confirmed old weapons will be back either from launch or through updates.

No hostile wildlife is kinda crap though, the Guta encounter in Halo Reach really stands out because you can just leave them to kill the Grunts and then they'll go to sleep or you can take a risk and run through the chaos. It'd lend itself well to the dynamic encounters 343 want.
They can simply bring that with huge update. I know it sounds like copout, but that's how Infinite is pitched as platform.
And I hope they bring stuff from EU to Infinite. Sharquoi, Grizzly Tank, Cobra, Blisterback, Reaver...
There are things from previous mainline games like Drone, Skirmisher, Enforcer...

Gosh, they have tons of stuff to pull.

ivanlerma

Smash Champion
In this age, there is always coming back with update and dlc.
They confirmed old weapons will be back either from launch or through updates.

They can simply bring that with huge update. I know it sounds like copout, but that's how Infinite is pitched as platform.
And I hope they bring stuff from EU to Infinite. Sharquoi, Grizzly Tank, Cobra, Blisterback, Reaver...
There are things from previous mainline games like Drone, Skirmisher, Enforcer...

Gosh, they have tons of stuff to pull.
It always seem as if DLC fixes everything nowadays.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
I miss the Elites as playable as well. However, the way the Halo series is now, it doesn't really fit. Is the multiplayer still in the "you're controlling a Spartan-IV for training"? I kinda dug that about Halo 4. If Elites were playable, I would want it to be something a little different. Let the Elites have more unique abilities and such. Then again, one of my dream games is a Halo/Destiny type game where you can play as a Spartan/Elite/Forerunner(?) and have an everlasting type MMO Shooter. All the crazy and unique gun perks and such from Halo 5's Warzone could be there, while the PvP stuff stick to the traditional style weapons.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Dual wielding I can understand even though I liked it as an occasional mixup, but hoping playable Elites will be added in a later update at least. If Infinite’s really a return to form and they’re listening to fans with it, they’ll bring back staples like that.

To some it might be an overreaction, but a genuine disappointment when we haven’t had them in over a decade outside of MCC. I understand the hitbox differences, but is why you can just limit them to certain game types like what Reach did which would be reasonable, but leaving them out entirely still is a copout.

Again though, if fans stay vocal about it like they are now, maybe it’ll be a feature readded at some point.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
There was a leak and it mentioned Master Chief as the final character, while that leak in of itself, probably isn't real. Chief as the final fighter would make all the sense in the world

1). The obvious "Finish The Fight" splash screen

2). He would probably be revealed as the promotional blitz for Halo Infinite really begins.. Making for great marketing

3). It would break the internet on a level we haven't seen since Sonic in Smash. A character that even 5 years ago, nobody thought would ever get into Smash

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
The issue I have with Infinite marketing is that initial release date of Infinite wasn't near the final slot. It was pushed due to negative reception of Infinite demo. It would be more of coincidence that Infinite release would be close to the final character reveal.

While Phil said he no longer wanted to port exclusives to other platforms anymore, Steve still got in after that comment. Yeah, Steve negotiation was already under way before he made that decision, but character inclusion would be different issue... or just promotion.

CommanderZaktan

Smash Ace
There was a leak and it mentioned Master Chief as the final character, while that leak in of itself, probably isn't real. Chief as the final fighter would make all the sense in the world

2). He would probably be revealed as the promotional blitz for Halo Infinite really begins.. Making for great marketing

3). It would break the internet on a level we haven't seen since Sonic in Smash. A character that even 5 years ago, nobody thought would ever get into Smash
and 4. To also promote Xbox Pass on Switch if that happens since it was rumored.

I thought out the classic route for him and if this is the final DLC character, then the route will be called "Finishing the Fight". You'll be facing light and dark clones from World of Light but in stages, you'll be facing fighters from each game they appeared.
Stage 1: 64 fighters
Stage 2: Melee fighters
Stage 3: Brawl fighters
Stage 4: 4 fighters minus Mii fighters with DLC
Stage 5: Ultimate fighters without DLC
Stage 6: Mii fighters or all DLC from Ultimate
Stage 7: Bonus stage
Stage 8: Galeem and/or Dharkon OR a new boss that is a fusion of the 2 with all of their moves.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Really hoping Master Chief is one of the upcoming Fighters I doubt it at this point but hey you never know? If not I hope he’s at the top of the list to get into Smash 6.

2006ToyotaTacoma

Smash Journeyman

Can you post a link or photo of the leak?

Top Bottom