• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I need a weapon" - Master Chief

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I don't think either have a "harder fight" either. Keep in mind Doom and Rayman both are on Nintendo consoles and not the mascot of a rival company. Albeit, in a sense, the "popularity" goes more towards Master Chief, yes. But it's important to look at the full picture, too. Rayman is sold worldwide(not the best popularity) on, as I noted, Nintendo consoles. Is that the case for Doomguy? If yes, then that means Nintendo themselves would see them as already viable. Keep in mind Banjo & Kazooie are the only third party you can't play any games they're in on a Nintendo system right now. Joker appeared already in some Persona games by that point. This may be the sole special situation.

If it was Sakurai, yeah, I think Chief would be much more likely. But it's not. It's Nintendo. Also, remember that BK happened because of Minecraft too. If it weren't for that, all the ballot votes in the world wouldn't be enough either. Microsoft is getting a great deal out of both characters. They got more than just advertisement, but a Minecraft 3DS itself. They were allowed to effectively advertise Halo for the Xbox Systems via the Halo Mash-Up Pack too. This is big. This is also why I can see Chief getting in for the same reason, that is, to advertise the Xbox Halo games only. On the other hand, maybe we do need a Halo game on Switch for Nintendo to be okay with it. It could go either way. It's funny too; we've talked about "appearances on Nintendo not being required", but that's Sakurai's view. Nintendo? Well... they are a business, not just a game lover. They have their own thoughts, and if they can't get a good business deal, they wouldn't go for it. This could be why the Chief is not in at this time. Though to be fair, Steve was the biggest gaming icon among Microsoft anyway(and super worldwide popularity). BK kind of was lucky too, but I'd have given the core competition with Chief. After Ultimate is over, Chief now has to deal with Doomguy(I legit don't know if Doom is popular in the East too).

BTW, I think you meant "about it not being popular in the east" in that first paragraph. XD
Doom is sadly even less popular in Japan than Halo. So that’s why I think Chief has an advantage over him in that regard. But Doom Slayer has the Smash fan demand advantage, atleast for now. So who knows. Like I’ve said before, I’m down for either one.

The Japanese really need to learn the joys of blasting away aliens & demons as armored green bois.

I kinda feel the "tying up loose ends" except with Sephiroth. But, I see most people's point in here about that.

I do think that Chief is super unlikely at this point, but he isn't completely out. Nintendo double dipping is much easier than a third party company doing it, but it isn't impossible.
Sephiroth has the Chun-Leak stating that he was planned atleast during base game. That leak’s not proven, but it seems pretty real tbh

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Doom is sadly even less popular in Japan than Halo. So that’s why I think Chief has an advantage over him in that regard. But Doom Slayer has the Smash fan demand advantage, atleast for now. So who knows. Like I’ve said before, I’m down for either one.

The Japanese really need to learn the joys of blasting away aliens & demons as armored green bois.
You sure you still mean Doom, cause that's not too often from Halo. :p Joking aside, that sucks. Was Doom released worldwide on Nintendo consoles lately, or is just US for the later more gory games. Mortal Kombat at best got up till 3 in JP...

Sephiroth has the Chun-Leak stating that he was planned atleast during base game. That leak’s not proven, but it seems pretty real tbh
Now how many people will get that Mon Hun wasn't "stopped because Byleth shared the same gimmick". Mon Hun is a case that the devleopers didn't look the idea, and Byleth was made using a similar concept, since it was very fitting for a FE idea.

Besides, Mon Hun could still get in anyway. Byleth didn't take their moveset. It's not much different from how we got Pyra/Mythra despite Pokemon Trainer being there. Yes, they're a similar gimmick, but have differences.

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
You sure you still mean Doom, cause that's not too often from Halo. :p Joking aside, that sucks. Was Doom released worldwide on Nintendo consoles lately, or is just US for the later more gory games. Mortal Kombat at best got up till 3 in JP...
doomsmash.PNG

Pretty good guage of casual Japanese gamers. Even if Japanese gamers haven't played Halo, they still know the series.

If Chief can't get into Smash because of regional issue, characters like Reimu, Doom Slayer and Rayman are out.

Now how many people will get that Mon Hun wasn't "stopped because Byleth shared the same gimmick". Mon Hun is a case that the devleopers didn't look the idea, and Byleth was made using a similar concept, since it was very fitting for a FE idea.

Besides, Mon Hun could still get in anyway. Byleth didn't take their moveset. It's not much different from how we got Pyra/Mythra despite Pokemon Trainer being there. Yes, they're a similar gimmick, but have differences.
The real problem is how much Sakurai/Nintendo is willing to respect Monster Hunter developers. Apparently, they really hated playable Hunter in Marvel vs Capcom Infinite. Even if Capcom higherup pressure, would Sakurai really go along with the plan if some people at Capcom disagree that much? That could explain why Ranthalos and Hunter Mii costumes are in, but not full playable Hunters.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
Pretty good guage of casual Japanese gamers. Even if Japanese gamers haven't played Halo, they still know the series.
I think this is somewhat misleading; from what I've heard, DOOM has a hardcore cult-following in Japan, which wouldn't be reflected by gauging the casual audience. I'm a Halo guy, but I think DOOM is actually better loved there. Of course, neither are exactly big over there, but between this and DOOM's greater availability on Nintendo platforms, the Smash team may have it closer in mind.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I think this is somewhat misleading; from what I've heard, DOOM has a hardcore cult-following in Japan, which wouldn't be reflected by gauging the casual audience. I'm a Halo guy, but I think DOOM is actually better loved there. Of course, neither are exactly big over there, but between this and DOOM's greater availability on Nintendo platforms, the Smash team may have it closer in mind.
And then there's Half-Life. Nintendo apparently really wanted an exclusive Half-Life title for Switch. They might see Half-Life as a huge deal and/or have huge respect for it and want it in Smash.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The real problem is how much Sakurai/Nintendo is willing to respect Monster Hunter developers. Apparently, they really hated playable Hunter in Marvel vs Capcom Infinite. Even if Capcom higherup pressure, would Sakurai really go along with the plan if some people at Capcom disagree that much? That could explain why Ranthalos and Hunter Mii costumes are in, but not full playable Hunters.
Very much they'll respect it. Remember, this is the reason why MH was dropped as a playable character before base finished too. They can at most ask, but it's beyond unlikely. Either the rumor is true, which means it's costume only, or it was never true and even the MvCI thing might've been blown out of proportion. The costumes were likely a compromise to the idea, but the fact they exist is still interesting. It likely doesn't count the same as the actual character(since they're armors, not an actual character costume).

Honestly, if the rumor is true? Nintendo wouldn't even bother alone since it doesn't actually improve relations. And somehow if they did, Sakurai as well knows the same thing already and would easily dismiss it due to how much he legit cares about how companies feel. If it was just Capcom, that'd be one thing. But the actual creators he acknowledges as important too. And Capcom isn't the whole story here, unlike in MvCI where the MH team can't do anything but shut up. Licensing-wise, sure, Capcom wins. But it wouldn't get to even them, so.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Halo has cult following there as well. There was outcry over Master Chief's Japanese voice actor change. It's good sign of dedicated following. I'm sure that's more than what can be said for Doom.
With how much Microsoft had been more friendly than IDsoft before acquisition in term of Smash, I think MS must've at least brought up Master Chief at some point during negotiation. Not to mention rumor of Gamepass Switch and MCC port. Who knows?

Very much they'll respect it. Remember, this is the reason why MH was dropped as a playable character before base finished too. They can at most ask, but it's beyond unlikely. Either the rumor is true, which means it's costume only, or it was never true and even the MvCI thing might've been blown out of proportion. The costumes were likely a compromise to the idea, but the fact they exist is still interesting. It likely doesn't count the same as the actual character(since they're armors, not an actual character costume).

Honestly, if the rumor is true? Nintendo wouldn't even bother alone since it doesn't actually improve relations. And somehow if they did, Sakurai as well knows the same thing already and would easily dismiss it due to how much he legit cares about how companies feel. If it was just Capcom, that'd be one thing. But the actual creators he acknowledges as important too. And Capcom isn't the whole story here, unlike in MvCI where the MH team can't do anything but shut up. Licensing-wise, sure, Capcom wins. But it wouldn't get to even them, so.
That's why I bet MH costumes returning without playable Hunters. They can just randomly return like other Capcom Mii costumes with non-Capcom fighter.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

I think the Doom games are on Switch in Japan, so the Slayer has that advantage too. Ideally we would just get both. We’ve gotten 5 JRPG characters in the DLC now. 2 FPS characters wouldn’t hurt anyone lol

There’s no way they’d be the last two spots of FP2 though. I’m praying for a third pass lol

And then there's Half-Life. Nintendo apparently really wanted an exclusive Half-Life title for Switch. They might see Half-Life as a huge deal and/or have huge respect for it and want it in Smash.
In addition to that, there was a Half-Life crossover with one of the recent Final Fantasy games, I think it was XV. As well as a Resident Evil 6 crossover with Left 4 Dead 2 back in the day. So Japanese developers like Valve.

I have Gordon as one of my dark horse picks. He’d be awesome even if I think Chief & Slayer should come first.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Ya know with things like Splatoon 3 that’ll no doubt extend the Switch’s lifecycle (Mario Kart 9 on Switch doesn’t seem so impossible now), I suppose I’d be more okay now with a pass 3 for Smash if it happens, so that Ultimate could maintain its steam with character releases while Splatoon moves on to 3, etc. Whatever Sakurai wants to do after pass 2 though. Still won’t complain if it’s over after the last couple characters with how drained I am of current speculation. lol

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I’m not drained tbh, I’m in this for the long haul lol

But even if I don’t get Chief, this game has still given me:ultbanjokazooie::ultjoker::ultsephiroth::ultsteve::ultkrool::ultridley::ult_terry: so I can’t really complain if things end after these last two characters.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I think the Doom games are on Switch in Japan, so the Slayer has that advantage too. Ideally we would just get both. We’ve gotten 5 JRPG characters in the DLC now. 2 FPS characters wouldn’t hurt anyone lol

There’s no way they’d be the last two spots of FP2 though. I’m praying for a third pass lol

In addition to that, there was a Half-Life crossover with one of the recent Final Fantasy games, I think it was XV. As well as a Resident Evil 6 crossover with Left 4 Dead 2 back in the day. So Japanese developers like Valve.

I have Gordon as one of my dark horse picks. He’d be awesome even if I think Chief & Slayer should come first.
There was Half-Life content in Death Stranding as well. Japanese devs do seem to revere and respect Valve to some degree. However, I think Master Chief probably has a stronger chance overall.

Doomguy, Gordon, and Master Chief all deserve to be in, regardless.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
There was Half-Life content in Death Stranding as well. Japanese devs do seem to revere and respect Valve to some degree. However, I think Master Chief probably has a stronger chance overall.

Doomguy, Gordon, and Master Chief all deserve to be in, regardless.
Definitely. I feel they’d be the FPS equivalent to Hero, Joker & Cloud.

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
Master Chief is basically the last dream choice for me after I got Pyra/Mythra. He's the only 3rd party left I'd be really happy about.

Nesysli

Smash Apprentice
It's kinda weird that every 3rd party company who has a playable character in Smash has pretty much their mascot in but Microsoft/Xbox:
Sega: Sonic the Hedgehog
Konami: Snake, Castlevania
Square Enix: Cloud & Seph from Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest Hero
Namco: Pac-Man
Capcom: Mega Man & Street Fighter
SNK: Terry Bogard from Fatal Fury/KOF
Microsoft: Banjo-Kazooie (Remembered as a Rare ware & N64 rep) & Minecraft Steve (who is kinda closer to a mascot, though was indie and is really a Mojang rep.)
If the last two characters are all that's left of the DLC and if Nintendo really wanted another "juggernaut, big deal" character in this pass. I could see Chief filling that role. I'd be him versus Crash Bandicoot for that spot imo. Though if Nintendo decides that they want to do more DLC, then I think Chief is one of the most likely 3rd party characters for it.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
It's kinda weird that every 3rd party company who has a playable character in Smash has pretty much their mascot in but Microsoft/Xbox:
Sega: Sonic the Hedgehog
Konami: Snake, Castlevania
Square Enix: Cloud & Seph from Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest Hero
Namco: Pac-Man
Capcom: Mega Man & Street Fighter
SNK: Terry Bogard from Fatal Fury/KOF
Microsoft: Banjo-Kazooie (Remembered as a Rare ware & N64 rep) & Minecraft Steve (who is kinda closer to a mascot, though was indie and is really a Mojang rep.)
If the last two characters are all that's left of the DLC and if Nintendo really wanted another "juggernaut, big deal" character in this pass. I could see Chief filling that role. I'd be him versus Crash Bandicoot for that spot imo. Though if Nintendo decides that they want to do more DLC, then I think Chief is one of the most likely 3rd party characters for it.
You hit the nail on the head. Microsoft has two characters in Smash but neither of them really represent Xbox. It’d be nice if Xbox got a rep. Especially since PlayStation has a couple “honorary” reps through :ultsnake::ultcloud::ultjoker::ultrichter::ultsephiroth:.

I will say that Monster Hunter is a candidate for the “juggernaut, big deal” character as it’s becoming Dragon Quest big in Japan & has hit mainstream popularity in the west with MonHun World. There’s also Lara Croft, a legend in her own right. Dr Eggman & Chun-Li for super iconic side characters too.

Maybe we’ll even get blindsided with a “lol DLC spirits don’t disconfirm afterall” & we get a Resident Evil character.

I feel Chief & Crash are the most iconic characters not in Smash yet, but they still have some competition for the next big character spot.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I definitely think FP3 would greatly help Master Chief. Microsoft has seemingly been very easy to work with, so it wouldn’t make sense not to go to them again. If not for Chief then atleast for a long lost Nintendo friend like Fulgore, Joanna, Rash or Conker.

Crash is a bit iffy. Activision seems like a major road block especially given recent news that they screwed Sony over when they asked for Crash/Spyro in PlayStation All Stars. But maybe Smash would change their minds.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I definitely think FP3 would greatly help Master Chief. Microsoft has seemingly been very easy to work with, so it wouldn’t make sense not to go to them again. If not for Chief then atleast for a long lost Nintendo friend like Fulgore, Joanna, Rash or Conker.

Crash is a bit iffy. Activision seems like a major road block especially given recent news that they screwed Sony over when they asked for Crash/Spyro in PlayStation All Stars. But maybe Smash would change their minds.
I don't think Nintendo will go for second Rare character. For all the flak Chief gets for Japanese presence, he got much better case than all of them in Japan.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Killer Instinct has always been niche, but someone like Fulgore would be awesome. Maybe at some point after Chief would be added he’d have a chance, but not before. Besides that, Dixie Kong (and maybe Cranky) has more going for her than pretty much any of those Rare examples.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Except whole Donkey Kong franchise including Dixie is owned by Nintendo. That's why MS higherup were initially confused after Rare acquisition. They thought they also bought Donkey Kong.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Yeah, but they are not making it in before Chief. That's for sure.

I still wonder whether Sakurai and Nintendo are actually aware of "Finish the Fight" tagline.
It would be too good to be true to match final slot with that line.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Bad news, the same leaker that got Pyrra right just leaked the setlist for the orchestra, there is no Halo music there, and why would Nintendo do a concert for Smash, if this wasn't it for Ultimate?

KillerCage

Smash Master
Bad news, the same leaker that got Pyrra right just leaked the setlist for the orchestra, there is no Halo music there, and why would Nintendo do a concert for Smash, if this wasn't it for Ultimate?
If you are talking the "Concert Leak," I suggest treating it as fake.
Most people I have seen and talked to don't believe it and I'm leaning toward it being false as well.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
5chan leak.... 4chan leak that got Min Min, Steve and Sephiroth right... most leaks if not all end up being fake.
At least, King Zell has credential to back up his claim.

TheThingamajigRayman

Smash Journeyman
That 'leak' was recently deconfirmed with the Monster Hunter Mii's, so Chief might still have a chance, hopefully. RIP to Monster Hunter fans though, the feeling of your most wanted getting Mii'd must suck.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
That 'leak' was recently deconfirmed with the Monster Hunter Mii's, so Chief might still have a chance, hopefully. RIP to Monster Hunter fans though, the feeling of your most wanted getting Mii'd must suck.
Geno was my most wanted for Smash Wii U/3DS. It is nice to be acknowledged, at the very least.

So, with all this new information, and it seeming like there is only going to be two characters left, how confident does everyone feel about Master Chief? Could he make the pass and be one of the final two? Microsoft able to get two characters into one pass?

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
Geno was my most wanted for Smash Wii U/3DS. It is nice to be acknowledged, at the very least.

So, with all this new information, and it seeming like there is only going to be two characters left, how confident does everyone feel about Master Chief? Could he make the pass and be one of the final two? Microsoft able to get two characters into one pass?
I see two possibilities for the next two characters; one - one gets revealed during or around the usual E3 season, the next a few months later. In this event, I don't think Chief has a chance. He wouldn't be well-received in the East, so Nintendo wouldn't want to dedicate an event to only his reveal, even if the next character is a Japanese favorite.

Second possibility is they both get revealed around the same time. Chief might have a chance in this circumstance, as they could do an East/West double-whammy like with Hero and Banjo in 2019. As it stands, I find such a purely western pick to be a longshot, but Chief's well-positioned if they go for one. Heavily dependent on circumstance though, IMO.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I'm entirely not sure how much Japan factors in. Out of 20 million sales, 5 million come from Japan. But, I'm pretty sure tiny fraction of them knew Banjo. Let's face it. Banjo isn't that more popular or famous than Halo there. Bringing Japan ballot is not a good argument. BTW, does anyone have link to this supposed Smash Japanese ballot that show Banjo had massive support in Japan? I keept hearing about it, but never saw it myself. Then again, so did Geno, but look how that turned out.

Out of current Ultimate DLC franchises, only Minecraft sold more than Halo. It's stupid to reject Chief just because of Japan. Smash sold way more from non-Japanese regions, especially North America. Just because they did double showcase with Hero and Banjo doesn't mean the pattern has to follow. I'm fine with double reveal, but it's not mandatory for Chief imo.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
A few other people and I on the Forest Maze Discord server are predicting Chosen Undead and Master Chief as the final two Fighters.

Chosen Undead would come with the Lloyd Irving Mii Costume (both Bandai Namco published RPGs). Plus, Sakurai has played all the Souls games and talked about them on Famitsu. And with there already being an Amiibo of Solaire, it seems like something Nintendo would choose for Smash.

Master Chief fits the bill as the final Fighter (finish the fight and all that). And with rumors of the Master Chief Collection coming to Switch heating back up recently, it would make sense to reveal both at the same time.

How would you guys feel if they were the final two?

Last edited:

TheThingamajigRayman

Smash Journeyman
A few other people and I on the Forest Maze Discord server are predicting Chosen Undead and Master Chief as the final two Fighters.

Chosen Undead would come with the Lloyd Irving Mii Costume (both Bandai Namco published RPGs). Plus, Sakurai has played all the Souls games and talked about them on Famitsu. And with there already being an Amiibo of Solaire, it seems like something Nintendo would choose for Smash.

Master Chief fits the bill as the final Fighter (finish the fight and all that). And with rumors of the Master Chief Collection coming to Switch heating back up recently, it would make sense to reveal both at the same time.

Don't know much about Undead or Dark Souls at all really, but I'd be hype for just Chief tbh.

So I'd be pretty happy.

Last edited:

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman

Ascended picks

Last edited:

Houndstooth

Smash Ace

I didn't realize the rumors of MCC on Switch had picked back up. Where have you heard about this? Super interested in reading into that speculation more.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Unlike 4chan, 5chan leaks, King Zell is generally trustworthy. Even other named leaker backed him. He even came back to reinforce what he said.

I think MC as the last character makes too much sense... I hope Sakurai and Nintendo sees it.

Chief must've been at least mentioned during other negotiation. Nintendo should know potential new buyers from Halo fanbase. They already crossed Rubicon river with Banjo, so why not?

ivanlerma

Smash Champion

I don't care about the Chosen Undead, and Chief is someone i can see potentially as the final character.

Though, i don't think it'd care too much about these two being the final choices.

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion

Plus, 2021 IS the 20th anniversary of Halo and Xbox

LukeRNG

Smash Ace
NNID
LukeBraginsky

I fear this will lead to a world of dissapointment for the last character. There really isn't anything rulling out a Nintendo character being left for last (whether it's Pokemon or Zelda) given smash's track record since Brawl. So far there's been 0 leaks regarding dlc fighters from Byleth onwards. And being Nintendo they have no rules for how many characters they can add.

Anyways, I'm indifferent about Chosen Undead (I personally would rather have Lloyd or Agumon for Bamco) & Chief would be hype (though It'd feel strange to have Chief before Crash).

Last edited:

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
I fear this will lead to a world of dissapointment for the last character. There really isn't anything rulling out a Nintendo character being left for last (whether it's Pokemon or Zelda) given smash's track record since Brawl. So far there's been 0 leaks regarding dlc fighters from Byleth onwards. And being Nintendo they have no rules for how many characters they can add.
Yeah, the last character is always going to be met with negative or mixed reactions. I think Chief could be positive, along with a small handful of others, but one fanbase being happy vs every other fanbase being unhappy is just the reality of it.

Top Bottom