• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I need a weapon" - Master Chief

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
So, we dunno what position Steve puts Chief in, but he hasn't been Mii Costumed. So.... Are we in limbo until DLC ends or Chief gets revealed? Or should we go off of the assumption that Steve is our Xbox character for the pass? I'm personally leaning towards the latter, unfortunately.
You might be right but Smash Ultimate is the game of dreams. The impossible keeps happening. Anything could happen.

I'm going to actually take the risk now and say that Master Chief will be next years E3 reveal.

2019: Banjo & Kazooie
2020: Steve?
2021: Master Chief

I know there's no pattern but I'm still taking it.
You could also sub out Banjo for Hero, then it’d be 1 huge icon every year in addition to 1 MS character every year. Though tbf, Chief has competition from the likes of Crash & Lara Croft when it comes to the next huge icon spot.

I also want to point out that Steve is Ultimate’s version of:ultsonic:/:ultpacman:. The huge character that transcends gaming & is even known by people who don’t play games.

But we still don’t have Ultimate’s version of:ultsnake:/:ultcloud: yet. The character that every gamer knows & makes everyone go “They’re in!?”. It’s not guaranteed that we get a character like that, but I think there’s a good chance we do. Master Chief is a great contender for that spot.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Didn’t have particular Mii costume predictions, but figured there’d be more casualties of it today than there was, so color me surprised I guess. The Bomberman one’s looking good though.

We don’t know how far the Nintendo/Microsoft thing will go far as full playable characters, but the tired but true hype responsibly phrase still applies, especially now.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Didn’t have particular Mii costume predictions, but figured there’d be more casualties of it today than there was, so color me surprised I guess. The Bomberman one’s looking good though.

We don’t know how far the Nintendo/Microsoft thing will go far as full playable characters, but the tired but true hype responsibly phrase still applies, especially now.
Oh definitely. No one’s an absolute lock especially a long shot like Chief. But it’s fun to dream still lol

Honest Slug

Smash Journeyman
I'm still not sure how likely Chief is in the long run. However, if there was ever a reason for Nintendo to double dip on a company in one pass, it would be for the best selling game of all time and the father of the modern FPS. I could see one company per pass being the next rule to be broken, and the fact that this is the 2nd time in a row Chief hasn't gotten a Mii fighter in a Microsoft pack is suspect.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I finally figured out the Halo content I'd pick for Master Chief, since every franchise gets music, stages, an assist trophy, and spirits...

Stage: Installation 04

Music:

Halo- Halo CE

Halo (Mjolnir Mix)/ Halo (Gungnir Mix)- Halo 2

Unyielding - Halo 2

Finish The Fight/One Final Effort - Halo 3

Behold A Pale Horse - Halo 3

Skyline - Halo 3 ODST

Tip of The Spear - Halo Reach

To Galaxy - Halo 4

The Trials - Halo 5

Through The Trees/Reverie/Set A Fire in Your Heart- Halo Infinite

Assist Trophy: The Arbiter (Thiel Vaddam)

Spirits: Cortana, Sgt. Johnson, Arbiter, Prophet of Truth, Gravemind, Locke, Noble Six

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I hope Chief would get a decently big music selection. I’m honestly really disappointed by Minecraft’s music. I love Banjo’s music but they missed a couple bangers like Final Battle, Click Clock Wood & Hailfire Peaks.

12 tracks for Halo would be good, even if you could potentially do waaaay more.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I hope Chief would get a decently big music selection. I’m honestly really disappointed by Minecraft’s music. I love Banjo’s music but they missed a couple bangers like Final Battle, Click Clock Wood & Hailfire Peaks.

12 tracks for Halo would be good, even if you could potentially do waaaay more.
I wanted to add in "Blow Me Away" and "Never Surrender", but in the case of the former licensing will be a problem.. And in the case of the later, it wasn't in the base game

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
People of theorizing Minecraft’s base game music isn’t in because it was made by a band. So sadly, Blow Me Away is out of the running. I fully expect 209 Master Chief montages set to it if he gets in though lmao
It's the same reason why Square Enix couldn't allow more contents. Their game contents are spread apart, so it costs so much more money.
But I'm pretty sure most of Halo OST are parts of Halo license.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I think something that could spell good news for Chief is how heavily Microsoft is promoting Halo: Infinite. There’s a ton of merchandise hitting shelves right now including action figures, Megabloks sets, Nerf guns & Halloween costumes. Alongside all of that, there’s tons of cross promotion with various companies.

A10AC2B8-7D18-4508-B862-A49D17D87BC7.jpeg

4856C5D3-A0FA-458F-A956-603D3CEC5C3C.jpeg

This is one of the biggest pushes for a game I’ve seen in a while. It does help that it also counts as a push for the Series X too.

So I could definitely see MS going to Nintendo to use Smash as a means to further push Halo: Infinite. Perhaps they brought this up while negotiating for Banjo &/or Steve?

I could see Nintendo being tepid about asking for Chief theirselves. But if MS specifically asks Nintendo & didn’t ask for a large licensing fee, I’d be shocked if Nintendo turned it down.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I still low key believe Chief is happening especially if E3 is happening next year and we are getting E3 reveals. Since Microsoft got Banjo & Kazooie in Smash in 2019 and Steve in 2020 probably originally planned, than it might make sense they're saving Chief for E3 2021. If Nintendo allowed any company to double dip in the same Pass, I think it would be Microsoft due to them being one of the biggest corporations on the planet. Chief isn't out just yet folks, hold on until the ride is over.

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I think something that could spell good news for Chief is how heavily Microsoft is promoting Halo: Infinite. There’s a ton of merchandise hitting shelves right now including action figures, Megabloks sets, Nerf guns & Halloween costumes. Alongside all of that, there’s tons of cross promotion with various companies.

View attachment 288525
View attachment 288526

This is one of the biggest pushes for a game I’ve seen in a while. It does help that it also counts as a push for the Series X too.

So I could definitely see MS going to Nintendo to use Smash as a means to further push Halo: Infinite. Perhaps they brought this up while negotiating for Banjo &/or Steve?

I could see Nintendo being tepid about asking for Chief theirselves. But if MS specifically asks Nintendo & didn’t ask for a large licensing fee, I’d be shocked if Nintendo turned it down.
They even got Steve Downes for that commercial?!

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I know right? The marketing is crazy for Infinite. I’m curious on how much more we get closer to its release. I’d love to see some live action trailers like Halo 3, ODST & Reach had.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I don't think Nintendo would refuse Chief just because of Japanese market factor. DQ was pretty much in the same boat for west. Even if you say that Halo has worse situation than DQ, Halo is still massive franchise that can more compensate way beyond Japanese market. Vergen's Minecraft content in Smash finally came true, so I believe King Zell's hints on Halo content on Switch will eventually come to pass. I'm sure MS knows that playable character is the best way to promote and advertise. And they will make sure they will Chief to be a 100% playable character.

Revelation 3:16
"But since you (Nintendo/Sakurai) are like lukewarm (Mii costume/Spirit) water, neither hot (playable character) nor cold (none at all), I (Microsoft) will spit you (Nintendo/Sakurai) out of my mouth!"

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I don't think Nintendo would refuse Chief just because of Japanese market factor. DQ was pretty much in the same boat for west. Even if you say that Halo has worse situation than DQ, Halo is still massive franchise that can more compensate way beyond Japanese market. Vergen's Minecraft content in Smash finally came true, so I believe King Zell's hints on Halo content on Switch will eventually come to pass. I'm sure MS knows that playable character is the best way to promote and advertise. And they will make sure they will Chief to be a 100% playable character.

"But since you (Nintendo/Sakurai) are like lukewarm (Mii costume/Spirit) water, neither hot (playable character) nor cold (none at all), I (Microsoft) will spit you (Nintendo/Sakurai) out of my mouth!"
Also, it's not like the character is alien to Sakurai, he's played Halo 2

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

Yeah, I’ve always thought that Dragon Quest & Halo were in a similar situation. Dragon Quest is a huge franchise in Japan. New releases for its games lead to massive hype & lines up people waiting to get their hands on the new game. Dragon Quest is a staple of Japanese pop culture, its finger prints are all over the fantasy genre in Japan now. But it’s not a particularly well known series in America outside of hardcore gamers.

Meanwhile, Halo is a huge franchise in the US. New releases for its games lead to massive hype & lines up people waiting to get their hands on the new game. Halo is a staple of pop culture, it’s been pretty influential on modern sci-fi; tons of Sci-fi franchises have Spartan-like armor in them now or weapons similar to those found in Halo. However, it’s not particularly well known in Japan. But it does get a decent amount of merchandise from Japanese companies & it seems to be a known entity amongst Japan’s hardcore gamers as seen in this image.

DE6C2C4D-96EF-4A36-98A4-4E7DAC8C656C.png

The two series are even close together in sales. Dragon Quest is at 86 mil, while Halo is at 70
Mil. Though, DQ has a 15 year head start as well as being on both Nintendo/PS while Halo has largely only been on Xbox until this past year. I don’t think the Halo sales numbers have been updated since 2016 so I’m curious as to how the series has been performing on Steam.

Historically, DQ would be more similar to Doom while FF is more similar to Halo. But I feel their cultural significance is oddly similar. If you watch the Japanese reaction to Hero’s reveal in Smash (Particularly when Erdrick shows up) & the American reaction to the Halo: Infinite reveal (particularly the classic armor reveal), it’s reeeeally similar.

So I’m hoping that Nintendo & Sakurai will give America their “Hero”. Maybe they can give Japan their version of Banjo too! I’m not really sure who that’d be though, maybe Arle or Yuri?

Last edited:

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I think Chief could still be a surprise pick and I'm counting on. Xbox's flagship character joining Smash. Microsoft's own original creation.

I also think Doomguy is pretty likely too, and if one of them gets in, I can't see the other getting in.

I'm down for either, but I'm hoping for Chief.

MattX20

Smash Hero
The fact Microsoft owns Doom now makes things a bit trickier since he's now directly competing with Master Chief for a spot.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Except the FP2 characters would've already been determined before the MS acquisition. If one of them gets in, it won't be because of that.

BreadnJamTomorrow

Smash Cadet
It's hard to say how long the Microsoft acquisition has been in the works. I can't say for sure since I absolutely have NO idea how this stuff works, but I don't think you absorb all those companies under the Zenimax Media name without lengthy negotiations. These talks could have been in place for months, if not longer.

Or it could be that the pending buyout had no effect on the 2nd Fighter's Pass. Honestly, who knows?

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
The Bethesda deal doesn’t close until next June, so there wouldn’t be any inner-company decisions with Chief & DoomGuy. If Nintendo picks DoomGuy then it’d be as a way to support Bethesda since Bethesda’s been real good to the Switch.

I’d be super happy with each other. I want Chief more but I’d be ecstatic for the Slayer to get in. Hopefully they can one day both be in!

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman
I saw some Halo merchandise at a local 7-11 the other day, which makes me think that Master Chief would be more marketable than Doomguy.

Edit:Nvm saw this was already posted.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
If anything it’s a good side since that was before FP2 was supposedly decided on. It shows that 343 is definitely interested in the idea of Chief in Smash. Maybe they heard of Steve & pushed for MS to talk to Nintendo about Chief too?

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Guys..

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Doubt it as well, though seeing retro Chief would be a cool easter egg.. Wonder what other Xbox references we could see if Chief got in.. Since Chief IS the poster boy after all
I’d like if he had some music from other Xbox games. Gears, Fable, Killer Instinct, Perfect Dark & Battletoads. That would be awesome.

Top Bottom