• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I need a weapon" - Master Chief

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
I think Chief is not done yet, we should probably wait to see if any Microsoft costumes show up Saturday before dooming Chief. If guys remember, Mojang is still pretty independent within Microsoft. Also, about Steve:

View attachment 287798

Right now, all Microsoft rumors have been proven true and Chief has been rumored. We have to wait and see, but I don't think this deconfirms Chief yet.
Out of curiosity, where has Chief been rumored? Do you just mean he's been talked about?

Frankly, idk how this Steve information affects Chief. If they were already making the deal back then, that might not affect FP2, but if it was only rumblings of a plan, and it was largely finalized in the last year, I think Chief is done.

Either way, I guess we might find out pretty quickly on Saturday.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Well, Chief's out.. It was a longshot anyway... But it is what it is. I suppose he could be a Mii Costume, but it's just not the same.. or we could get a third Microsoft character in this pass, but I doubt it.. Maybe next time

Last edited:

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
Out of curiosity, where has Chief been rumored? Do you just mean he's been talked about?

Frankly, idk how this Steve information affects Chief. If they were already making the deal back then, that might not affect FP2, but if it was only rumblings of a plan, and it was largely finalized in the last year, I think Chief is done.

Either way, I guess we might find out pretty quickly on Saturday.
I don't remember now, since it has been a while. Saturday probably holds all our answers, anyways.
The only odd thing with Steve for me is how there's none of the Mario or Microsoft costumes as alts.

EDIT: I remember now: it was Imran during a podcast of 2020's predictions pre-pandemic saying that "Nintendo would try their hardest to get either Sora or Chief" and it seems Sora fell through at this point. Nintendo tried with Disney, so I could see Microsoft being more willing to play ball, specially with how they're partnering.

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I don't remember now, since it has been a while. Saturday probably holds all our answers, anyways.
The only odd thing with Steve for me is how there's none of the Mario or Microsoft costumes as alts.
Yeah that is peculiar.. The only explanation I can think of for this is Microsoft had something planned for Chief

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
It’s possible that Nintendo wants some of these final characters to truly be big. Triple dipping with Microsoft makes sense. They own the (former) most wanted character for Smash & two of the biggest gaming icons ever. Who knows how long this good relationship between MS & Nintendo will last, so might as well do it now?

I’m not confident but it’s not over until the fat lady sings. If Chief isn’t coming, hopefully someone from 343 will tell us soon.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
It’s possible that Nintendo wants some of these final characters to truly be big. Triple dipping with Microsoft makes sense. They own the (former) most wanted character for Smash & two of the biggest gaming icons ever. Who knows how long this good relationship between MS & Nintendo will last, so might as well do it now?

I’m not confident but it’s not over until the fat lady sings. If Chief isn’t coming, hopefully someone from 343 will tell us soon.
If that were true, FP1 wouldn't have ended with Byleth

BreadnJamTomorrow

Smash Cadet
It’s not over until it’s over. While precedent definitely makes things look grim, Chief has faced far worse and pulled through.

Of course, keep your expectations in check. But this fight isn’t over yet.

GreekGamer

Smash Rookie
While I do think Steve hurt Chief's chances, I would still like to see him in and think he does still have a chance for a future reveal. After all, did any of us think we'd have an official Nintendo game with Mario, Sonic, Cloud, AND Pac-Man would be fighting each other? Anything is possible.

stealthyfrog

Smash Rookie
After the initial wave of disappointment probably makes sense to wait until Saturday to see which Mii costumes Mr. Minecraft comes with. If Master Chief doesn't get Mii costume'd then he lives for now

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Fingers crossed he doesn’t get a mii gunner costume. I fear that might happen on Saturday.

TheBeastHimself

No time for tea, uncle, gotta capture the Avatar!
I honestly don't know what to say about Chief's chances. It could go either way, but I'm sure we know which way it's leaning more towards, and it's a shame. I loved Minecraft back in the day, and I think Steve's inclusion is awesome, I love what he brings to the table.

But if I could have it any other way, I'd bring Master Chief over Steve. Halo had such an impact on me growing up. Just thinking about the memories I made playing the campaigns of Halo 2 and 3, and grinding the multiplayer of Reach. It's a bit disheartening to say the least, and I think Chief would've been a more impactful inclusion even if Steve is the bigger character overall.

That's because we haven't had an actual Microsoft character yet. Banjo and Steve were just acquired by Microsoft. I view Chief on the same level as Mario, Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man, Cloud, and the rest.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I feel there’s a chance that Steve could come with all Minecraft costumes similar to Hero. They might want to bank on Minecraft obsessed kids as much as possible.

Creeper, Pillager, Villager, Witch, Diamond Armor, maybe some of the characters from Minecraft Dungeons. There’s a lot of potential for Minecraft themed Mii costumes.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Eh, there’s a chance that was a motivation. But Banjo is to show that MS is a “good guy”, also possibly to see if people are still actually interested in that series. Steve is just to prop up Minecraft even more, “Look he’s in the gaming hall of fame next to Mario & Pikachu!”

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Eh, there’s a chance that was a motivation. But Banjo is to show that MS is a “good guy”, also possibly to see if people are still actually interested in that series. Steve is just to prop up Minecraft even more, “Look he’s in the gaming hall of fame next to Mario & Pikachu!”
Why wouldn't MS also want their flagship series, Halo, in the same pantheon though?

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
I think Nintendo will break the double dipping rule with 2 "Microsoft" reps in the same pass. While we do have to wait for stuff to come out on Saturday, I think John-117 is in one of the best spots right now for a fighter. The only reason people are discarding him right now is because of a fan rule that can be broken at any second. We'll finish the fight!

Evanosha

Smash Rookie

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I think Steve’s inclusion might’ve revealed some interesting things. Talks for Steve happened 5 years ago & it seems like they got serious about 3 years ago. This shows that some characters could take a while to actually come to fruition.

I’m pretty sure Vergeben really did know about Minecraft coming to Smash, but it was just the early happenings surrounding Steve.

Perhaps the same happened with C. Tsubasa/King Zell & his hints about something in the same vein as “Mario on PlayStation”?

I think there’s still hope for our boy in green. It’s always been an uphill battle with getting him into Smash anyway. As long as tomorrow doesn’t reveal a Mii costume, he still has a shot.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
People seeing what they want to see for/against certain characters. What else is new?

edit: Seeing this kind of art become the norm is most welcome.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
https://twitter.com/ske7ch/status/1311724473414938624
The Halo community director at 343 industries a day ago reacting to Steve being in Smash. Curious!
I have no idea what this means apart from the folks at 343 wanting it to happen. Hmm...

For the record, we had Mojang employees talking about Steve in Smash last year. So I don’t think anyone besides the higher ups at third party companies/studios truly know.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I have no idea what this means apart from the folks at 343 wanting it to happen. Hmm...

For the record, we had Mojang employees talking about Steve in Smash last year. So I don’t think anyone besides the higher ups at third party companies/studios truly know.
Also, possible, they are under a NDA

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
So, we dunno what position Steve puts Chief in, but he hasn't been Mii Costumed. So.... Are we in limbo until DLC ends or Chief gets revealed? Or should we go off of the assumption that Steve is our Xbox character for the pass? I'm personally leaning towards the latter, unfortunately.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I still have to laugh... I know I sound rude, but people were so sure about Master Chief being Mii costume. MS may be in good term with Nintendo, but that doesn't mean they have obligation to be on receiving end. Halo is no Minecraft, but it's still massive franchise on its own, especially MS's most precious franchise.

Nintendo: Hey... about Master Chief...

MS: Yeah?

Nintendo: We want to put him in Smash... but we already got Steve... so can we delegate him to Mii costume?

MS: Oh yeah? We want you to pay $ ????? this much.

Nintendo: ****... that's too expensive for Mii costume! NVM!!

Top Bottom