• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I need a weapon" - Master Chief

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Yeah, I just saw. Not sure what will happen now. Does that now lessen Doom Guy's chances due to Microsoft preferring Master Chief?

exlk

Smash Rookie
Wow, I'm not sure what to think about this with regard to Microsoft, and Bethesda! I still think that Master Chief will make it in, though!

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Also, I would love to see the Halo multiplayer announcer (Jeff Seitzer) react to events on the Halo stage, should Chief get in..
That would be amazing. I really hope they’d do that.

Bethesda has been bought by Microsoft, it actually happened. :surprise:
Master Chief & DoomGuy are officially Best Bros. 👍

Yeah, I just saw. Not sure what will happen now. Does that now lessen Doom Guy's chances due to Microsoft preferring Master Chief?
It wouldn’t mean anything for Fighter Pass 2. Those deals are already done & have been done for around a year. If Chief is in instead of DoomGuy then it won’t be because of this deal.

We need to ask Phil about getting both Space marines in Smash just like we did about Banjo.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
With all the different franchises Xbox now has; maybe they can make their own cross over game......;):smirk::chuckle:
I feel they’ve been able to have a solid roster for a while, but now it’d be even bigger.

Buuuuut, I’d prefer if they kept being chummy with Nintendo & let their characters in Smash. Master Chief, DoomGuy, Steve & Dovahkiin would all be amazing Smash characters.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Phil’s a class act. I’ve had mixed opinions about the last couple years of Xbox & the launch of the Series X, but he’s a good guy. Hopefully all of these studios that have been purchased under his run will really turn Xbox around.

Also, it’s interesting that he mentioned Persona. Maybe it’s finally coming to Xbox?

It seems that Microsoft is trying to become a more serious presence in Japan. Maybe they’ll use Smash as a way to promote their mascot & thus Xbox in general? 🤔

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Phil’s a class act. I’ve had mixed opinions about the last couple years of Xbox & the launch of the Series X, but he’s a good guy. Hopefully all of these studios that have been purchased under his run will really turn Xbox around.

Also, it’s interesting that he mentioned Persona. Maybe it’s finally coming to Xbox?

It seems that Microsoft is trying to become a more serious presence in Japan. Maybe they’ll use Smash as a way to promote their mascot & thus Xbox in general? 🤔
Time will only tell. In regards to Smash news in general, we likely won't hear of anything new until sometime between the 5th and 30th of October, since that should theoretically be the period that's clean of holidays, noteworthy game events and releases.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Honestly, I’m not expecting Chief as the next character if he does happen. He’s definitely E3 material or maybe the second to last reveal like Cloud was*.

Corrin & Bayo were revealed at the same time, so that’s why I’m counting Cloud as second to last.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Honestly, I’m not expecting Chief as the next character if he does happen. He’s definitely E3 material or maybe the second to last reveal like Cloud was*.

Corrin & Bayo were revealed at the same time, so that’s why I’m counting Cloud as second to last.
Seems pretty fair. Not to mention VGAs, but honestly the chances of that are infinitesimal, seeing how dull last year's was.

Next character could literally be anyone else, at this stage I'm just waiting for something to happen before the year ends.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I posted this potential track list for Master Chief in the speculation thread. What do you guys think? Anything I should add?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
ODST was just released on PC recently. Now, only Halo 4 remains. I wonder what that spells for Switch rumor.

I forgot to mention this... but is it better for Microsoft to make their own Smash game instead of putting their characters into Smash?
I wonder whether Phil Spencer changed his mind.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
ODST was just released on PC recently. Now, only Halo 4 remains. I wonder what that spells for Switch rumor.

I forgot to mention this... but is it better for Microsoft to make their own Smash game instead of putting their characters into Smash?
I wonder whether Phil Spencer changed his mind.
It’s hard to say. Smash has a strong grip over this sub-genre of fighting game. No one’s come close to beating Smash, not even Sony. So it might be best to join Smash & use it as a way to prop up your brands.

With the way Spencer talks about Nintendo, I think he’d be happy to see more Xbox centric characters stand alongside Mario, Link & Pikachu.

I honestly think that there’s a good chance that Master Chief could bring Xbox content besides Halo with him, if he were to get in that is.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
It’s hard to say. Smash has a strong grip over this sub-genre of fighting game. No one’s come close to beating Smash, not even Sony. So it might be best to join Smash & use it as a way to prop up your brands.

With the way Spencer talks about Nintendo, I think he’d be happy to see more Xbox centric characters stand alongside Mario, Link & Pikachu.

I honestly think that there’s a good chance that Master Chief could bring Xbox content besides Halo with him, if he were to get in that is.
They can make shooter arena or third person action arena. They don't have to copy Smash directly. I'm just saying there are more paths to choose. Hell, they can just release their own Smash while still putting their characters in Smash. Ryu has been in numerous crossover, but that didn't stop him from joining Smash.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
You already got Killer Instinct which was proven ground for having other Microsoft reps in a fighter like RAAM, Arbiter, Rash... Just have maybe another KI reboot game continuing that formula. A Microsoft all-stars take on Smash would be kinda redundant when you already got the tried and true KI. Plus a lot of the KI characters would have to be included in MS all-stars anyway.

Smash is Smash and will be unrivaled regardless with Nintendo's catalogs, which not even Sony comes close to as pointed out.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
That's also option. I wonder why they chose Arbiter instead of Chief for KI... I heard that Arbiter fit aesthetically better than Chief for KI. On the other hand, it kinda reminds me of SNK. How they distributed their characters to different games. Mai for DOA6, Geese for Tekken 7 and finally Terry for Smash Ultimate... Could MS have the same plan?

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
That's also option. I wonder why they chose Arbiter instead of Chief for KI... I heard that Arbiter fit aesthetically better than Chief for KI. On the other hand, it kinda reminds me of SNK. How they distributed their characters to different games. Mai for DOA6, Geese for Tekken 7 and finally Terry for Smash Ultimate... Could MS have the same plan?
Terry was also included in Fighting EX Layer around that time so I doubt it's 1 per game

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
You already got Killer Instinct which was proven ground for having other Microsoft reps in a fighter like RAAM, Arbiter, Rash... Just have maybe another KI reboot game continuing that formula. A Microsoft all-stars take on Smash would be kinda redundant when you already got the tried and true KI. Plus a lot of the KI characters would have to be included in MS all-stars anyway.

Smash is Smash and will be unrivaled regardless with Nintendo's catalogs, which not even Sony comes close to as pointed out.
I'd rather Killer Instinct stay as Killer Instinct. Having a few guest characters in fine; but I wouldn't want a crossover game focused on Killer Instinct's style of fighting.

A 4-player game with items (IMO) is far more enticing than Killer Instinct with more guests. I'd even be more excited for that than even Smash Bros itself. Having Master Chief vs Marcus Fenix, vs Banjo & Kazooie vs Jack of Blades (or whatever combo you prefer); would be so hype worthy!

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
“I’ll get my shot, another day”
BAD11153-2D70-4EC5-86B5-EE115C379DF4.jpeg

Congrats to the Steve fans though, despite my past showings of not wanting him since I thought the build mechanic would never work as a fighter. Low and behold they did the impossible.

Also lol, Verge finally got Steve correct, must’ve had been enlightened with foresight.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Stopping in to give my condolences as it seems the Spartans chances had drastically decreased.

It was a good run while it lasted. Perhaps there's still a small sliver of hope in him getting in given Nintendo's and Microsoft's relationship so keep that in mind they could be saving him for last.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Yeah, it sadly seems like Master Chief is out of the running now. I won’t give up hope completely though. Ultimate is the game of dreams, anything can happen!

Minecraft is in my top 10 favorite games though (Halo 3 is #1), so I’m still pretty happy. As long as the friendship between Microsoft & Nintendo lasts, we could see our favorite Spartan join one day!

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Honestly if they do the Mii costume I hope they let it have colour differences just to reference the MP
Plus you could re-enact RvB.

TriggerX

Smash Ace
Personally I wouldn’t count Master Chief out unless we see a costume.

microsoft has way more money floating around compared to most if not all game publishing companies Nintendo is dealing with. While it’s unlikely, I could see them “buying” an additional spot if they felt like it would benefit the halo series.
That’s just my 2 cents on all this.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
Honestly if they do the Mii costume I hope they let it have colour differences just to reference the MP
Plus you could re-enact RvB.
Yeah, IMO Chief's getting Mii Costumed on Saturday. I'm just hoping he comes with a music track or something; they gotta know how big Halo is - or at least was - right?

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Don't give up guys, it is not over until it's over. If a Fighter's Pass 3 happens, Chief is guaranteed to get in. Don't lose hope until they announced all of the DLC.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Sorry to hear about Chief being done. The issue is that Chief just isn't that big in Japan (and apparently FPS in general). If a Western Company was making Smash, Chief would have made it in.

zeldasmash

Smash Lord
And Chief's gone.....Safe to say I'm very disappointed and salty with this inclusion. Right now the only chance he has left is a Mii Costume and it just isn't the same. Unless Pass 3 happens out of a miracle, Chief just got deconfirmed with Steve.

I know I'm in the minority but I find him the most disappointing character inclusion in Smash Ultimate. I personally dislike Minecraft as a game and seeing Steve playable over Chief sucks. I know and acknowledge I'm being a bit dramatic but it just how I happen to be right now.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Looks like Microsoft got 2 reps so far. Steve's fans got vindicated HARD now that Minecraft has made the cut and his detractors have to eat their words.

I wouldn't say Chief is donezo, since now there's 2 xbox slots in Smash but I wouldn't get my hopes up either. Just keep making a good case for him, without attacking fellow xbox brands.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Man, not the character I wanted, but they did a great job with Steve. Definitely represents Minecraft well and, well, it makes sense. Game is popular worldwide and sells like hotcakes. Chief really took a big hit today. But, a new character that has a different sort of moveset is going to be fun, either way. Congrats to the Steve fans.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Seeing an MS acquired indie put in before the boasted MS mascot is humbling, to say the least. While this fight isn't finished till it's finished for Chief, would still dampen expectations for him.

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
I think Chief is not done yet, we should probably wait to see if any Microsoft costumes show up Saturday before dooming Chief. If guys remember, Mojang is still pretty independent within Microsoft. Also, about Steve:

P82ysA0HDYEAAAAASUVORK5CYII.png

Right now, all Microsoft rumors have been proven true and Chief has been rumored. We have to wait and see, but I don't think this deconfirms Chief yet.

Last edited:
Top Bottom