• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I need a weapon" - Master Chief

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
They released the music from the demo

We're in for yet another treat with the soundtrack

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Hey, sign me up as a supporter! I just got an Xbox system for the first time at Christmas and finally tried Halo. I absolutely loved it! So far I've only played Halo 3 in the Master Chief collection, but I'm planning on getting a Series X and really looking forward to Infinite! I obviously don't have a huge history with Master Chief, but I'd be stoked to see him get in, and he would also be by far the craziest addition to Smash Bros. ever!

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Hey, sign me up as a supporter! I just got an Xbox system for the first time at Christmas and finally tried Halo. I absolutely loved it! So far I've only played Halo 3 in the Master Chief collection, but I'm planning on getting a Series X and really looking forward to Infinite! I obviously don't have a huge history with Master Chief, but I'd be stoked to see him get in, and he would also be by far the craziest addition to Smash Bros. ever!
Awesome dude! Have you played any of the other titles, or just Halo 3? I have recently been playing through all of them(finished Halo Wars, Halo: Reach, Halo: CE, and am working on Halo 2/Halo 3: ODST right now). Such a good collection of games, man!

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Awesome dude! Have you played any of the other titles, or just Halo 3? I have recently been playing through all of them(finished Halo Wars, Halo: Reach, Halo: CE, and am working on Halo 2/Halo 3: ODST right now). Such a good collection of games, man!
So far just Halo 3 because I was told that's the best one. I've mainly just been doing multiplayer, but I just recently did the campaign with my cousin. I'm probably going to start playing through all the ones on Gamepass soon.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I do find it hilarious that if Chief were to be another DLC character he'd very likely be the 4th DLC addition to have a 'tether' recovery.
I think his recovery would be the Grav Lift unless Microsoft/343 specifically asks for the Grappling Hook.

Though that would also be another case of a mascot character having an Up-B that’s solely a recovery like Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man & Banjo lol

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
So far just Halo 3 because I was told that's the best one. I've mainly just been doing multiplayer, but I just recently did the campaign with my cousin. I'm probably going to start playing through all the ones on Gamepass soon.
Nice dude. They are some great games. Since you have MCC, you have all the Chief games except for Halo 5. Give them a shot. You will enjoy it a lot.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
https://mobile.twitter.com/klobrille/status/1289090626512969730?s=19

This is... interesting. Not too sure how I feel about it.

If they truly want this game to be a “platform” then it’s needs to be the Smash Ultimate of Halo.

“Everything is here!”. Firefight, Invasion, Every map, every weapon (& every weapon design), every vehicle, every game type, every Forge/custom games option & every armor piece from Halo 3/Reach/4.

The Halo 5 armors can **** off though lmao

All of that can be added over time, but it needs to happen. Bank on 20 years of Halo nostalgia & passion like Ultimate did for Smash.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I feel Installation 04 would be the best choice for his stage, specifically based on the “Halo” level from Halo: CE.

Halo has a TON of stage potential from both the campaigns & multiplayer. But if there can only be one then it HAS to be on a Halo ring.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Installation 04 with Guilty Spark transporting us from place to place would be cool. Control Room, Forward Unto Dawn, beacb battle area, ice area with Wraiths and Scorpions. I'm down!

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Glad to finally see something like this put in full perspective as an image. Would still prefer Doomguy, but would also be fine with Chief happening first.
I hate that it feels that we cannot have both Chief and Doomslayer in the same pass. Chief is my most wanted, but I am also rooting for Doomguy as well.

Also, yeah, I really like that graphic. Helps put it into perspective, like you said.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I hate that it feels that we cannot have both Chief and Doomslayer in the same pass. Chief is my most wanted, but I am also rooting for Doomguy as well.

Also, yeah, I really like that graphic. Helps put it into perspective, like you said.
I know right? We can have multiple JRPG characters per pass but two FPS characters are a huge no-no.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I know right? We can have multiple JRPG characters per pass but two FPS characters are a huge no-no.
Let's just hope more fanrules like "Unpopular in Japan" get broken. I just don't see why they have to keep pandering to portion of fanbase that is way less than half of the entire sales.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Glad to finally see something like this put in full perspective as an image. Would still prefer Doomguy, but would also be fine with Chief happening first.
I’ve seen this before but with Gordon Freeman/Half-Life in place of Heavy (Joker instead of Shulk too) & I agree with that more.

Additionally, I’d say COD & Pokemon would be in similar roles. Though I don’t think a COD character would really fit in Smash.

Maybe Team Fortress 2 would be more like Tales. I’d say Overwatch would be the closest thing to Xenoblade since they’re the new kid on the block.

Dekunk

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-5452-6360-1438
I’ve been browsing this thread on and off since its inception

He’s in :ness:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Let's just hope more fanrules like "Unpopular in Japan" get broken. I just don't see why they have to keep pandering to portion of fanbase that is way less than half of the entire sales.
Well, the game *IS* made by Japanese people. So it makes sense why there’s some sort of bias.

But we’re beginning to run out of big Japanese series (especially since they spirited poor Resident Evil), so hopefully they’ll start adding in some western titans like Master Chief, Crash, Steve & Doom Slayer.

If they can add series that are big in Japan but not the US, I don’t see anything wrong with doing the reverse occasionally.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Seems fair, maybe the Series X will have slightly more games at launch by then.

Well, the game IS made by Japanese people. So it makes sense why there’s some sort of bias.

But we’re beginning to run out of big Japanese series (especially since they spirited poor Resident Evil), so hopefully they’ll start adding in some western titans like Master Chief, Crash, Steve & Doom Slayer.

If they can add series that are big in Japan but not the US, I don’t see anything wrong with doing the reverse occasionally.
I would expect at least only one or two more for this time, since they're understandably taking baby steps about it. They will need to be Western IPs that resonate real easily with Japan (if not the whole world), so the marines may need to be set aside for Smash 6.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Seems fair, maybe the Series X will have slightly more games at launch by then.

I would expect at least only one or two more for this time, since they're understandably taking baby steps about it. They will need to be Western IPs that resonate real easily with Japan (if not the whole world), so the marines may need to be set aside for Smash 6.
We’ll see. I 100% agree that we’ll only see 1 or 2 western IPs get into FP2. But I think they could always balance Master Chief out with a more Japanese centric character like Lloyd/Yuri or Rex. They sort of did that with Hero being announced alongside Banjo for the west. The Hero/Banjo duel reveal was probably one of the best marketing decisions this game’s had, I could definitely see them trying to repeat it.

& I’m pretty happy that Halo: Infinite is delayed. Get the graphics as good as potential after all the Craig memes & what not.

Last edited:

Dekunk

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-5452-6360-1438
This thread will see a lot of usage before the end of 2021. I’ll say that much

Dekunk

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-5452-6360-1438
Seems like it’s based of the Halo 2 suit, which was pretty sleek to begin with. Great stuff from them, they never disappoint

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I have a feeling that 343's staff will lose out no matter what happens...

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
That type of correlation between delays and crunch time has been known for awhile. Welcome to the modern game industry.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
They should just cancel the Xbox One version of Infinite. It seems like they’ve quietly done that for Everwild already, as the Xbone logo was removed from that game’s website.
I would be all for this.. I'd prefer all the focus to be on the Series X. Regardless of how much work it actually takes to port it, I hate when they split their focus to previous consoles. Now that I think of it, the biggest upset for me personally, was that I couldn't believe they were confident enough to show what they did.. It just didn't look good enough graphically.. Even the grappling hook thing looked super awkward and messy.. Not to mention the cringe-worthy speech of the semi-cool looking villain.

Visually, I want them to shoot for making the in-game look much closer to the Halo 3 or 5 CGI trailers.. Is it still impossible to reach that fidelity...? Hellblade 2 gameplay looks miles ahead of everything else on Series X. Seeing Hellblade 2 first then Halo Infinite set my bar astronomically high for the graphics alone.. I just want the best for Halo.. I really do.. I wanted it to shock me in a good way with how it looked..and it didn't at all.. It looks like they made everything too soft..

All that soft bloom or motion blur is too reminiscent of stuff like Overwatch.. It fits certain styles. Halo does not fit with that soft look. Needs to be way more crisp, sharp, and more washed out for the future. The colors in the game don't need to be so bright that it reminds me of something like Warcraft 3. Halo 3's look was near perfect to me for the universe. They could still dull down the colors a bit though.

If they want to do blur and stuff, they should shoot more for the Killzone method IMO. Add all the dirt and particle effects in the world as your battling. Make Chiefs visor get dirt and scuffs on it as you are playing. Make the player feel more like they are dealing that damage while also taking a good amount and it visually shows on the model AND through your 1st person perspective. The immersion just isn't there for me now. And it was before, simply due to expecting less. I will continue to expect way more out of EVERYTHING Halo, because I know what it CAN BE.

Idk.. I just hate how it looks currently. Not a fan at all. Wish the in-game looked closer to this trailer for sure.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Honestly, without a big ticket killer app at launch, the Xbox Series X is DOA
It's not unusual for a system to be sold without a killer title (1st party that is), especially when looking at previous consoles and their launch periods. The 360 existed for like a good couple years before it had Halo 3. The PS5 launch lineup doesn't look too rosy either, for that matter.

This is why I've almost always waited awhile before getting another platform to play on, with some exceptions.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's not unusual for a system to be sold without a killer title (1st party that is), especially when looking at previous consoles and their launch periods. The 360 existed for like a good couple years before it had Halo 3. The PS5 launch lineup doesn't look too rosy either, for that matter.

This is why I've almost always waited awhile before getting another platform to play on, with some exceptions.
Given that, it's pretty pointless to even wait for the initial price; some people will wait for a discount anyway (especially after the "599$!" memes for PS3 back in the day). Unless one wants something the Series X also has, anyway.

I won't be getting a PS5 until the inevitable model revision, myself. I'm still catching up on PS4 offerings.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Yeah, I don’t think Xbox is doomed. All PS5 is launching with is what basically amounts to an expansion pack for Spider-Man. I’m sure it’ll be a GOOD expansion pack & I’ll buy it when I get a PS5, but I’m not buying a PS5 just for a 10 hour side game.

Top Bottom