• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I need a weapon" - Master Chief

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
The presentation was underwhelming tbh. But so was Sony’s for me. Maybe I’m just losing interest in gaming I guess.

dinkeytom

Smash Apprentice
It looked like something I would enjoy, but the game doesn't look like a good showcase of what the Series X can do. Too many pop in, no raytracing. Maybe they ran it on PC.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I'm super bummed right now I've waited this long to see this game only to feel that it's just okay.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Eh, I was hyped for it. Definitely hit the "first stepping onto a Halo Ring" feel to me. Went with some story elements. Showed off some new/old/different guns. Confirmed sprint and grapple. Idk, guys. I loved it. But I was also wanting to see some multiplayer gameplay.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
Personally, it has me intrigued. While nothing particularly amazed me, I didn't leave disappointed either.

First off, I noticed for the animation style they went more cartoony, like Halo CE, 2, and 4. While I do prefer the likes of 3, Reach, & 5 it doesn't matter too much to me what they choose. Though, I did hear some interesting implications because of their choice to go this route...
As for the art direction, I've been loving it ever since the reveal of Master Chief's armor! The weapons look great and so do the enemies! Never really cared much for the redesign of the Grunts, Elites, and Jackals in 4/5 but if they make a return as a differently behaving variant of their respective race then that'd be pretty cool in my book.

Speaking of the enemies and overall sandbox, I think this has a lot of potential! With it being an 'open-world' veering game (which I have my reservations on ever since Destiny, more on that later) it would seem to encourage many variants of those enemies and especially weapons! I'd love to have the vast majority of previous Halo weapons and their variants (excluding most H5 'Warzone' alterations) as usable in this game and in this open-world format it could totally work.

The Brutes definitely reminded me of their H3 selves and I'm actually very happy about that as H3 was my favorite campaign. I'm so glad the Elites are included in as enemies too unlike H3. I was really curious to see how the Banished would play as an enemy in this game genre so I'm excited to see this become a reality. They really seem like a nice original take on the 'Covenant' as something familiar but also different! Hopefully the 'Drones' make a return too. Not to mention the Flood, which I somewhat suspect could be a 'DLC' expansion to the game (likely to avoid more mature ratings to the base game). Heck, I know this is an unpopular opinion but I wouldn't even mind seeing the Prometheans making a return in this game. One aspect that has made Halo fun for me is the various factions fighting against each other as you wade through the battle so imagining a 4-way fight between the UNSC-Banished-Flood-Prometheans just sounds too good to pass up!
Again, this open-world format seems more likely to make all this a reality which is what makes me excited about it.

However… There is a darkside to this new format as well.. Like I said earlier about Destiny, this opens Halo up easily to microtransactions and from my research this is the inevitability that awaits this game… While I actually greatly enjoyed my time with Destiny(1), it was both a money & life sucker that I don't care to repeat. At this point I'm expecting something similar for this game and I think overall most people will actually enjoy it but I might have to distance myself from the franchise depending on how deep they go this route.

Overall, I'm cautiously optimistic about the game, especially after this gameplay demo which confirmed some things for me. But do I think it will be a fun Halo experience? Absolutely! And likely the best one 343 has crafted yet! Which is the most I can ask for.
Thoughts?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Is it wrong for me to feel that I was more interested in Grounded, PSO2 and the latest Psychonauts 2 footage than anything else they had to show?

Also, it feels like some big presentations for this year's Summer Game Mess are like "stay tuned for part 2!". So, why not wait until Fall in that case? It's obvious that preparations are in a bad spot right now.

When you think about it, Microsoft trying to get Halo to be more popular in Japan is just like how Square Enix is trying to get Dragon Quest more popular outside of Japan.
Given what was announced in the pre-show, that statement wound up being a bit amusing.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1286322336954638337

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Is it wrong for me to feel that I was more interested in Grounded, PSO2 and the latest Psychonauts 2 footage than anything else they had to show?

Also, it feels like some big presentations for this year's Summer Game Mess are like "stay tuned for part 2!". So, why not wait until Fall in that case?

Given what was announced in the pre-show, that statement wound up being a bit amusing.

https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1286322336954638337
Like I said, Square wants the series to be more successful overseas. These ports of 11S will definitely help

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Oh, also, why would you put the most interesting stuff in the pre-show? Balan Company and a port for DQ11S are neat deals.

In any case, I don't think we'll hear the biggest gaming news for this year until we get close to or enter Fall.

SilverSoul24

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SilverSoul94
Switch FC
SW-8066-4257-6220
The presentation was underwhelming tbh. But so was Sony’s for me. Maybe I’m just losing interest in gaming I guess.
Not sure how old you are, but I'm 26 and I felt pretty underwhelmed by both presentations too. I don't think I'm necessarily getting too old for games, I think I'm just growing somewhat disillusioned with the industry in general and how they develop products these days. Meh. It really didn't help that neither presentation showed very much gameplay. There were more games I'm excited about in Sony's presentation (I seriously need Spider-Man Miles Morales) but I will argue that Microsoft has a far stronger library ready for launch. God forbid Sony launch a console with a strong lineup, amirite? I'm still not really sold on either console, but I will probably pick one of them up early next year. Possibly at launch, if Nintendo's holiday catalogue is as disappointing as it's shaping up to be.

Also, to keep this post on topic, I would be all for Master Chief in Smash. Halo Infinite looks dope and it's the first title that's piqued my interest since Halo 3 back in the day.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Gaming presentation plans for this year were dropped on the floor like a precious vase, it'd be shocking if they weren't somewhat affected.

I miss E3. As old hat it was getting, it just showed us that June was quite enough to have all presentations. Extended over four months, this Summer event is a bloated mess.

At this stage, it'd be more reasonable to ignore everything until Fall or the holiday season rolls over.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Gaming presentation plans for this year were dropped on the floor like a precious vase, it'd be shocking if they weren't somewhat affected.

I miss E3. As old hat it was getting, it just showed us that June was quite enough to have all presentations. Extended over four months, this Summer event is a bloated mess.

At this stage, it'd be more reasonable to ignore everything until Fall or the holiday season rolls over.
Yeah, I think we can agree that if we didn't get hit with this quarantine stuff, then no doubt this would've been better than it was so far. Though, I can understand why it is the way it is.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Halo Infinite looked interesting. Not amazing launch title that makes me want to buy a Series X Day One interesting. Not I'm hyped for this and willing to give 343 all kinds of good will interesting either. But just interesting in that it's trying a new direction and is returning a focus on to Chief and single player after Halo 5's misguided attempts to chase co-op campaigns. I would have hoped to see the game in better shape seemingly this close to launch though as it does look rough in some places, but the footage was a start.

The bigger issue is that Infinite continues to add red flags to my cautious optimism. They're talking about Halo Infinite as a live service that receives story content updates in addition to Multiplayer updates? OK... I know they said not Destiny, but that's what immediately comes to mind. And then open world itself still doesn't do much for me in Halo as the linear set pieces of past games were amazing (and I hope they're still here in some form). Plus, the way this presentation looked coupled with issues such as the Creative Director leaving in recent months, and it's just... this seems like it has the potential to go wrong in any number of ways.

I want Infinite to be the return to form to the series, but it doesn't look like it's quite there yet based upon this footage. Ball is in 343's court to make something out of this title that excites Halo fans again. Again, cautiously optimistic, but this footage didn't really do a ton to sway my opinion on the situation and the more they talk, the more concerned I get.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773

Yeah, am mixed like others, but will try and hope for the best. Long as it’s a good step above 4 and 5 overall, I’ll be content with this as the end of 343’s trilogy at least.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I thought Halo: Infinite looked really good. It looks nothing like Halo 5 so I’m already really happy. I think sprinting in the campaign is fine especially since this is a (semi?) open world campaign.

I’ll be a bit disappointed if sprinting returns to multiplayer, but we don’t have the dumb Iron Man dashes or ground pounds from Halo 5 so I’m good. There were some rumors that the Grapple Hook & Sprint would be equipment in the MP; the former was confirmed today so maybe the latter is too?

The graphics were a bit rough but I’ll chalk that up to being an early build. The world looks fantastic & the new weapons look really fun to use. I like how the pistol looks a bit more like the Halo 2 version.

As for the rest of the conference? Ehhh. Psychonauts 2 looks great but that’s on PS4 as well. Everwild has an amazing art style but we still have no idea what it actually plays like or even the genre. Hellblade 2 should be good but they couldn’t have shown us a glimpse of gameplay?

Obsidian’s “Not Elder Scrolls game”, Avowed, & Fable have a lot of potential but they were just CG trailers. I’m hoping Avowed is to Elder Scrolls what Fallout: New Vegas was to the Fallout series; if it’s as good as NV then that could be a major killer app for Xbox. This is 100% what I wanted from Obsidian when I heard MS bought them. Here’s hoping it has AAA quality graphics though. Obsidan’s (& Bethesda’s) games have never been lookers tbh.

This was a really weak showing from Microsoft when they really needed to Wow people. The games I mentioned above were cool but then there was so much AA filler inbetween. Does anyone actually care about State of Decay or those lame third party games they showed before Fable? Sony brought out Resident Evil 8 & that’s the best third party stuff they could show!?

My Xbox One’s disc tray has been broken for a while & I was waiting for Series X to upgrade. Unless the Series X launches at $400, I might just buy a Bone X to play Halo: Infinite & my other disc Xbox games now. Their next even better be a lot more exciting; Perfect Dark & Banjo would sell me on a Series X immediately.

Last edited:

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Wasn't there some 4chan leak that said that Halo Infinite will be open world or some ****?

Last edited:

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
This was a really weak showing from Microsoft when they really needed to Wow people. The games I mentioned above were cool but then there was so much AA filler inbetween. Does anyone actually care about State of Decay or those lame third party games they showed before Fable? Sony brought out Resident Evil 8 & that’s the best third party stuff they could show!?
There were a couple of games besides Halo that looked somewhat interesting but nothing that convinced me to buy them. Microsoft is fortunate to have a system seller like Halo but I can see how people criticize them when companies like Sony and Nintendo have multiple games to that claim. Though, personally none of Sony's games looked like absolute must-haves to the point where I've ever gotten a Playstation..

Max Hamm

Smash Rookie
Eh, I was hyped for it. Definitely hit the "first stepping onto a Halo Ring" feel to me. Went with some story elements. Showed off some new/old/different guns. Confirmed sprint and grapple. Idk, guys. I loved it. But I was also wanting to see some multiplayer gameplay.
This sums up how I feel as well. Grappling hook looks like it's a more dynamic tool than just movement, which I think is exciting. Making the fusion coils a more interactive part of the sandbox is a great call; throwable gas canisters was my favourite mechanic in Uncharted. There's definitely forge minigame potential.

As for Smash, i would be very okay with tether grab Chief if it means we get direct planting a spike grenade as a throw.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Even if Halo Infinite isn't the best game in the series, the Master Chief Collection still exists and the strong rumors of it coming to the Switch hold promise

domriver

Smash Lord
Just to drop in here -im Rooting for Master Chief in here - Halo series im sure are great - im not certainly a fan of them. But i think the addition of Master Chief in Smash Brothers would be HIGHLY welcomed and well received. A CGI Trailer showing what happens next in the Ridley Reveal trailer i think would be a good spot to introduce Master Chief. Megaman , Master Chief, Samus and Mario - ( excuse me while i go thru a quick nerd orgasm) LOL ;P :)

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Tired of the whole “games as a service” model. For that matter, if Infinite doesn’t come with things that should be with it on day 1 like the campaign and such (according to that rumor), then I’ll just wait awhile longer before picking it up.

edit: Oh, debunked? Good, one less worry there.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I missed the tweet - what would have been a disaster if it was true?

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I’m very happy with Halo: Infinite besides the graphics (which are apparently going to get back since this was an early build).

But the marketing & messaging for the Xbox Series X is very worrying. It’s been so messy so far. That presentation had good content, it just wasn’t presented in a good manner. Sony did such a better job with the PS5 presentation. We know what types of games the PS5 exclusives will be. The Everwild trailer was beautiful but I have no idea what genre that game is. Avowed & Fable seem cool but they only give a vague sense of what they’ll play like.

Halo: Infinite not being exclusive is such a bonehead move too. But it also seems like they’re already backtracking on what they said about Xbox games coming to Xbox One still for the next few years since the likes of Everwild & Fable aren’t mentioning Xbox One anymore. It’s so confusing.

They’re also too focused on these smaller AA games. Those are fine every now & then but you have to show us the AAA games. Or the exciting indie games along the lines of Shovel Knight, Celeste or Goose Game. Grounded & State of Decay aren’t going to sell people on Xbox. They didn’t even show any big third party games to get people excited like Sony did. That’s crazy.

Microsoft needs to lay out their entire plans in a neat & orderly manner soon. If Microsoft has any big titles in the pipeline, they can’t afford to wait like Sony can with the likes of God of War 2 & Spider-Man 2. Just give us a timeline of games & their current release Windows. Even if it’s like what Marvel does where they just reveal titles & concept art. Give people confidence in the Series X.

It’s just really worrying. I love Nintendo & PlayStation a lot, but Xbox has largely been my gaming home. It’s where I have most of my gaming history/collection at. It’s the console series that owns my favorite game series (Halo) & several others that I adore (Banjo, Gears, KI, Perfect Dark & Ori). But as of now, I’m very worried for Xbox’s futures; I’m getting serious Sega vibes from the Series X right now. If Xbox fizzles out, then a big part of my love for gaming does too. & that’s a very scary thought.

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I played Halo 1 for the first time today. (my experience with the Halo series mainly consists of Halo 3, 4, and Reach) I enjoyed it (though since I'm used to Doom Eternal, I kept trying to punch enemies at the start when I didn't have a weapon, to no avail), though I definitely preferred the first person sections over the vehicle sections. I don't know if it's just me, but the Warthog feels like all of its wheels were replaced with bars of soap.

As a result, I liked the first mission more than the second, since I found it easier to figure out where to go. (once I got out of the cave, I was fine, but the inside of the cave blended together, and it was hard to tell where I had already been since (as far as I'm aware) the game doesn't have a map, just a radar) I'm enjoying the game so far, though, and it's shorter than I expected (ten missions), which will be nice.

I'd be up for seeing Master Chief in Smash. While I'm not sure what all he can do (it's been a while since I played any Halo games), he'd make a ton of sense, especially now that Microsoft content is in Smash thanks to Banjo-Kazooie.
1595677900747.png

I hope this answer your question.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I love how many different movesets I’ve seen for Chief. He had so much potential that everyone has a different idea on how he should play.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
Haha, I've never seen a visualization of the 'warthog run' Final Smash but its definitely convinced me how fitting it would be! I like how its started by the Spartan Laser as well.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
Here is a video on a youtuber I often watch for gaming news.
In this conversational video he talks about the direction Microsoft seems to be going in and also the implications that has for Halo so I thought some may find this insightful.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
I do find it hilarious that if Chief were to be another DLC character he'd very likely be the 4th DLC addition to have a 'tether' recovery.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
The moveset that really made me think Master Chief would be a great fit in Smash is from this video. Energy shielding is an important part of Halo and is a core part of it's identity, so wouldn't it be important to represent with Chief in Smash as well?

Top Bottom