• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I need a weapon" - Master Chief

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Well, the extra Cadence of Hyrule stuff is cool.

From the wording, I guess we can expect the only traditional Nintendo (Mini) Direct for the remainder of the year to be sometime after Summer ends, with the rest being more Third-Party Direct Minis.

But hey, you still got Xbox showcase on Wednesday until then, I guess.
At least, there will be something to discuss.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
IDK the fact they dropped SMTV into this makes me think we’re not getting a real Direct this year. I’m hoping Xbox brings the hype so I can focus on Halo: Infinite & whatever else they bring to take my mind off of Smash/Switch.

Smash & Switch hype seems like a lost cause to me for the remainder of this year. I think they’re just holding everything back for 2021 now.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
You guys hear the rumors about Xbox Live Gold becoming free? If Microsoft does this, they’ve won the next gen for sure. More powerful console, Free online, and likely cheaper than the PS5.

Of course, there’s the possibility that Gold is dropped in favor of pushing Gamepass as the online subscription, but I’m not sure if they’d do that.

Excited to see what they’re bringing in their conference.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Not sure if this has been discussed, but you think Chief's Halo 4/5 look would be an alternate costume?

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I think it’s up to 343 asking for it or not.

I wonder if they’d use the Infinite design. Sakurai tends to prefer classic designs like with Pac-Man & Banjo. But the Infinite design is pretty close to the classic Halo 2/3 costume.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
I think it’s up to 343 asking for it or not.

I wonder if they’d use the Infinite design. Sakurai tends to prefer classic designs like with Pac-Man & Banjo. But the Infinite design is pretty close to the classic Halo 2/3 costume.
The Infinite design is close enough to the classic look that I can see Sakurai using it

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
You guys hear the rumors about Xbox Live Gold becoming free? If Microsoft does this, they’ve won the next gen for sure. More powerful console, Free online, and likely cheaper than the PS5.

Of course, there’s the possibility that Gold is dropped in favor of pushing Gamepass as the online subscription, but I’m not sure if they’d do that.

The reason why Sony and Nintendo made their online services require money was to copy Microsoft. If MS makes their console have free online gaming, that should mean...

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
The reason why Sony and Nintendo made their online services require money was to copy Microsoft. If MS makes their console have free online gaming, that should mean...
Sony and Nintendo aren’t going to follow suite for sure. PS+ is a good revenue stream for Sony, so it’s suck for them to have to cut it. I don’t think they’re in the place to do it unlike MS. I highly doubt Nintendo will because they’re Nintendo.

But if Xbox Live goes free, then Nintendo should be ashamed of themselves for charging for this **** they call an online service. I mean, they already should be but for a superior service like Xbox Live to be free while their’s is not is really embarrassing.
But that depends on whether or not this rumor is true.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
When you think about it, Microsoft trying to get Halo to be more popular in Japan is just like how Square Enix is trying to get Dragon Quest more popular outside of Japan.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
When you think about it, Microsoft trying to get Halo to be more popular in Japan is just like how Square Enix is trying to get Dragon Quest more popular outside of Japan.
Definitely. There’s also a lot of similarities between Halo & Dragon Quest, which is why I could see Nintendo picking Chief despite not being popular in Japan.

SSGuy

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4871-4520-9643
What are your thoughts of seeing the Arbiter appearing as an alt in an Olimar/Hero like scenario.

That would really be hype. Especially if they detailed the smaller things between them like BR/Carbine changes.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
What are your thoughts of seeing the Arbiter appearing as an alt in an Olimar/Hero like scenario.

That would really be hype. Especially if they detailed the smaller things between them like BR/Carbine changes.
In no way, shape, or form should you try to fit Arbiter over Master Chief. Those models are incredibly different, so they probably won't even work as Echoes let alone Alts.

I mean, free online isn't exactly going to be the winning situation here. Microsoft still has to prove people owning a Xbox is worth owning on its own merits and not just a PC that can play all the same stuff, or a PS5 that can play most of the same stuff with more exclusives. This generation is on Microsoft to prove they can actually be a decent first party company again because it doesn't feel like we've seen that Microsoft since like 2008.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
There's one more factor that I think might be what pushes Chief towards the front of the second Microsoft rep status: next year is not only the 20th anniversary for the Xbox brand, but also the Halo franchise as a whole. Both were released initially on November 15th, 2001.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The more time goes on, the more I think KingZell is trolling
There's a chance that his source might be messing with him, or found inaccurate info. Remember the Vergeben incident in which every IP under the sun was seemingly getting deconfirmed as FP5? Turns out his source messed things up.

That aside, there really is nothing to gain from jerking around with the fans after the reputation he's built up, unless he likes hearing verbal abuse from hundreds of people.

Last edited:

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
I mean, free online isn't exactly going to be the winning situation here. Microsoft still has to prove people owning a Xbox is worth owning on its own merits and not just a PC that can play all the same stuff, or a PS5 that can play most of the same stuff with more exclusives. This generation is on Microsoft to prove they can actually be a decent first party company again because it doesn't feel like we've seen that Microsoft since like 2008.
I mean, the casual gamer doesn’t care much for exclusives and plays mostly COD, FIFA, Madden, etc. Pretty much multiplats. I think free online and a cheaper console would do good to entice the price sensitive consumer. Exclusives are important though, I’m sure we’ll see a lot tomorrow.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I mean, the casual gamer doesn’t care much for exclusives and plays mostly COD, FIFA, Madden, etc. Pretty much multiplats. I think free online and a cheaper console would do good to entice the price sensitive consumer. Exclusives are important though, I’m sure we’ll see a lot tomorrow.
Yeah, most people end up where their friends are & end up multi-plats. I think exclusives are important early on to get early adopters onboard, then their more casual friends will end up with whatever console the early adopter friend chose.

It’ll be interesting to see what MS shows tomorrow. They already have as many AAA exclusives announced as Sony; Halo: Infinite, Everwild & Hellblade 2 vs Horizon 2, Spider-Man: Miles & Ratchet & Clank. Though, I imagine Sony has a CG God of War 2 trailer up their sleeve for later this year too.

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I played Halo 1 for the first time today. (my experience with the Halo series mainly consists of Halo 3, 4, and Reach) I enjoyed it (though since I'm used to Doom Eternal, I kept trying to punch enemies at the start when I didn't have a weapon, to no avail), though I definitely preferred the first person sections over the vehicle sections. I don't know if it's just me, but the Warthog feels like all of its wheels were replaced with bars of soap.

As a result, I liked the first mission more than the second, since I found it easier to figure out where to go. (once I got out of the cave, I was fine, but the inside of the cave blended together, and it was hard to tell where I had already been since (as far as I'm aware) the game doesn't have a map, just a radar) I'm enjoying the game so far, though, and it's shorter than I expected (ten missions), which will be nice.

I'd be up for seeing Master Chief in Smash. While I'm not sure what all he can do (it's been a while since I played any Halo games), he'd make a ton of sense, especially now that Microsoft content is in Smash thanks to Banjo-Kazooie.

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I played Halo 1 for the first time today. (my experience with the Halo series mainly consists of Halo 3, 4, and Reach) I enjoyed it (though since I'm used to Doom Eternal, I kept trying to punch enemies at the start when I didn't have a weapon, to no avail), though I definitely preferred the first person sections over the vehicle sections. I don't know if it's just me, but the Warthog feels like all of its wheels were replaced with bars of soap.

As a result, I liked the first mission more than the second, since I found it easier to figure out where to go. (once I got out of the cave, I was fine, but the cave blended together, and it was hard to tell where I had already been since (as far as I'm aware) the game doesn't have a map, just a radar) I'm enjoying the game so far, though, and it's shorter than I expected (ten missions), which will be nice.

I'd be up for seeing Master Chief in Smash. While I'm not sure what all he can do (it's been a while since I played any Halo games), he'd make a ton of sense, especially now that Microsoft content is in Smash thanks to Banjo-Kazooie.
Yeah the Warthog doesn’t control too feel in the first game. It gets better though!

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
So how do you guys feel about the reveal I'm mixed on one hand I love it on the other I dislike it I dont know how to feel it kinda sucks I shouldn't be feeling this way but I do

Top Bottom