• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I need a weapon" - Master Chief

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Aaand I finished Halo 1. What a ****ing fantastic game, I genuinely didn't expect it to be so good due to it's age. I think the AR, Pistol, Shotgun and grenades are an absolute must for Chief's potential Smash kit now
Welcome to the club, Spartan.

DDE41F92-0A8A-45D0-8146-D94C567D1765.gif

I’d add the Sniper & Rocket Launcher to being essential for Chief’s Kit. As well as the Energy Sword & Gravity Hammer, but you haven’t gotten to play with those yet.

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Welcome to the club, Spartan.

View attachment 276689

I’d add the Sniper & Rocket Launcher to being essential for Chief’s Kit. As well as the Energy Sword & Gravity Hammer, but you haven’t gotten to play with those yet.
Oh I have, the Gravity Hammer caused most of my game overs in reach due to me not realiing how close civilians were to me every time I tried using it

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I think it's safe to assume that Frank's tweet no longer applies. I find it hard to believe he meant dlc as including fighter pass 2. If that was the case, he would've said something like "he isn't planned for Ultimate" or something like that.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Or Cortana.
(edit: Cortana more than likely would be one of Master Chief's taunts now that I think about it.)

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I decided to compile some potential hints about Master Chief heading to Smash. Obviously there’s a good chance I could be looking *too* into this stuff because of my bias, but whatever it’s just speculation lol

First off, there’s the King Zell (Now C. Tsubasa) posts over on ResetEra. He’s proven to be a reliable leaker in the past & he’s kept bringing up this. There’s a chance it could be for a Halo port to Switch. But I also think that it could be a hint at Smash. Or who knows, maybe both will happen.

2B17BD79-EB00-449D-885C-7B8C9F648565.jpeg

D423FE7C-B461-4EF9-9E80-7223F1F6F330.jpeg

F7F8D90C-0FE8-4E87-847F-F5FB84A2653F.png

6AD5FC5F-CEF3-42C6-95E2-452CFE70EC39.png

26:45 is when the Sora/Master Chief talk starts.

Next up is something that got overshadowed but I’ve been thinking about it recently & it’s suspicious. During a Kinda Funny Games podcast, Imran Khan seemingly disconfirmed Sora. That tidbit, obviously, was what most people got from this segment but it also seems like Imran might be hinting at Chief.

Khan says that he thinks we’ll see Master Chief or Sora, claiming that FP2 will only have “one big anchor” & that it’ll be one of those two characters. Then shortly after he says that Disney Japan has stopped Sora from getting into Smash.

However, he then goes on to defend the idea of Master Chief in Smash by comparing him to Banjo’s inclusion. He then props up Chief by claiming that he’s more popular than Sora. It’s a weird contrast to how he calmly said Sora wasn’t happening.

Now this could all just be him speculating or even him using Sora/Chief’s names to cover-up someone like Crash, Dante or someone similar. But it’s still very suspicious that he brought up these two & then says that one of them isn’t happening.

For those who don’t know, Imran Khan was the former Senior Editor of Game Informer. He’s a known insider. He recently hinted at Min-Min in Smash before she was revealed. So there is a chance that this is a hint.

It could be possible that between Zell & Khan that it’s a known secret amongst insiders that Master Chief could be heading Smash. Nintendo seems to be cracking down on leakers much harder than they used to, so that could be why someone hasn’t just outright said it.

Of course, this should all be taken with a grain of salt. But it’s fun speculation fuel at the very least.

Last edited:

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
I decided to compile some potential hints about Master Chief heading to Smash. Obviously there’s a good chance I could be looking *too* into this stuff because of my bias, but whatever it’s just speculation lol

First off, there’s the King Zell (Now C. Tsubasa) posts over on ResetEra. He’s proven to be a reliable leaker in the past & he’s kept bringing up this. There’s a chance it could be for a Halo port to Switch. But I also think that it could be a hint at Smash. Or who knows, maybe both will happen.

Next up is something that got overshadowed but I’ve been thinking about it recently & it’s suspicious. During a Kinda Funny Games podcast, Imran Khan seemingly disconfirmed Sora. That tidbit, obviously, was what most people got from this segment but it also seems like Imran might be hinting at Chief.

Khan says that he thinks we’ll see Master Chief or Sora, claiming that FP2 will only have “one big anchor” & that it’ll be one of those two characters. Then shortly after he says that Disney Japan has stopped Sora from getting into Smash.

However, he then goes on to defend the idea of Master Chief in Smash by comparing him to Banjo’s inclusion. He then props up Chief by claiming that he’s more popular than Sora. It’s a weird contrast to how he calmly said Sora wasn’t happening.

Now this could all just be him speculating or even him using Sora/Chief’s names to cover-up someone like Crash, Dante or someone similar. But it’s still very suspicious that he brought up these two & then says that one of them isn’t happening.

For those who don’t know, Imran Khan was the former Senior Editor of Game Informer. He’s a known insider. He recently hinted at Min-Min in Smash before she was revealed. So there is a chance that this is a hint.

It could be possible that between Zell & Khan that it’s a known secret amongst insiders that Master Chief could be heading Smash. Nintendo seems to be cracking down on leakers much harder than they used to, so that could be why someone hasn’t just outright said it.

Of course, this should all be taken with a grain of salt. But it’s fun speculation fuel at the very least.
Thank you for gathering all of this into one place. I have looked at each of these, but have never actually seen them put together quite like this.

ranmanon

Smash Cadet
I always come back to this video every now and then, everything from the victory music to the CE BoxArt reference fits so perfect.

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord

Yeah... I would take King Zell over Cacomallow leak anyday.

But, I wonder whether Nintendo would be that stingy on spending on third party. Is MS willing to cut some price in exchange for advertisement effect?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

But, I wonder whether Nintendo would be that stingy on spending on third party. Is MS willing to cut some price in exchange for advertisement effect?
It's entirely possible that, as traditional as Nintendo is, they're taking baby steps in regards to third-party stuff. As you might have noticed, third parties tended not to have more than one series included as playable representation before Ultimate happened (with Capcom being a pretty significant exception, since 4 had two series of theirs from the get-go: one in base game, the other DLC). Master Chief might be seen as too much of a risk for the moment without a Nintendo hardware appearance of any sort beyond the Minecraft costume, so including :ultbanjokazooie: was the safest option that could be done, since they already had strong fan demand prior to Ultimate (compared to Steve, whose movement only really picked up after Ultimate was announced, despite Minecraft still being popular).

It might sound strange, but negotiating for the less expensive/lucrative IP can help in making negotiations easier for higher-tier ones, especially if the character/series-inclusion is well-received. Mainly since the initial grunt work was already achieved.

Given all that, it's likely that Master Chief's inclusion has to coincide with a Switch port for Halo stuff.

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
It's entirely possible that, as traditional as Nintendo is, they're taking baby steps in regards to third-party stuff. As you might have noticed, third parties tended not to have more than one series included as playable representation before Ultimate happened (with Capcom being a pretty significant exception, since 4 had two series of theirs from the get-go: one in base game, the other DLC). Master Chief might be seen as too much of a risk for the moment without a Nintendo hardware appearance of any sort beyond the Minecraft costume, so including :ultbanjokazooie: was the safest option that could be done, since they already had strong fan demand prior to Ultimate (compared to Steve, whose movement only really picked up after Ultimate was announced, despite Minecraft still being popular).

It might sound strange, but negotiating for the less expensive/lucrative IP can help in making negotiations easier for higher-tier ones, especially if the character/series-inclusion is well-received. Mainly since the initial grunt work was already achieved.

Given all that, it's likely that Master Chief's inclusion has to coincide with a Switch port for Halo stuff.
Good point... I believe Banjo was testing water. And if order was Chief then Banjo, it would've stolen any hype from Banjo.

I still take this tweet as MS stance on this matter.
https://twitter.com/Halo/status/1113166542881951744?s=20
This proves that they are willing to put Chief into Smash. This is official account, so the guy still had to get approval from higher ups.

BTW, good news is that Halo Infinite writers are the guys who worked on Batman Arkham series and Bioshock. Considering how putting comic book writer (especially bad ones) on lead harmed Halo 5's narrative, this gives me hope. Halo 4 had a writer of Mass Effect (Not for ME3 ending and Andromeda iirc), and its story was generally perceived well.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

Well, if we’re going to speculate about what he’s saying here then Imran has been hinting that there’ll be more 1st party in FP2 than FP1. So they could be using the money saved by using 1st party characters to spend on bigger 3rd parties. Hero was easily the biggest name/spend in FP1, since the other 3 came from smaller series, so I could see that happening.

I could see a 3-3 or 4-2 split with Chief, a big Japanese character & maybe a smaller 3rd party (in the 3-3 scenario). I think Chief & a big Japanese 3rd party like Dante or 2B would honestly be enough to carry this pass.

So something like: Min-Min, Rex, Cinderace, Master Chief, 2B/Dante & Hayabusa/Rayman.

or: Min-Min, Rex, Cinderace, Paper Mario/BOTW character, Master Chief, 2B/Dante/Hayabusa/another Japanese 3P

I do think Nintendo would be wise to reveal one of the third party picks soon though, even if it’s not Chief. Min-Min is cool but a third party pick would reassure a lot of people.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Well, if we’re going to speculate about what he’s saying here then Imran has been hinting that there’ll be more 1st party in FP2 than FP1. So they could be using the money saved by using 1st party characters to spend on bigger 3rd parties. Hero was easily the biggest name/spend in FP1, since the other 3 came from smaller series, so I could see that happening.

I could see a 3-3 or 4-2 split with Chief, a big Japanese character & maybe a smaller 3rd party (in the 3-3 scenario). I think Chief & a big Japanese 3rd party like Dante or 2B would honestly be enough to carry this pass.

So something like: Min-Min, Rex, Cinderace, Master Chief, 2B/Dante & Hayabusa/Rayman.

or: Min-Min, Rex, Cinderace, Paper Mario/BOTW character, Master Chief, 2B/Dante/Hayabusa/another Japanese 3P

I do think Nintendo would be wise to reveal one of the third party picks soon though, even if it’s not Chief. Min-Min is cool but a third party pick would reassure a lot of people.
Companies in general have their hands tied to various degrees right now, so I am willing to be patient on that front.

Besides, the confirmation of DLC amiibo has helped a bit, we'll just wait by Summer's end to see what their plans are.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Halo 3 is coming to PC July 14 boy's get ready to finish the fight again.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I definitely feel Warthog is the way to go for Chief’s Final Smash. Vehicles are a really important & iconic aspect of Halo that should be represented in his moveset.

Chief should be on the turret, while Arbiter drives & Sgt Johnson is in the shotgun seat.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Actually Gauss gun might work better for Smash. Mario getting hit by lasers would look better than Mario getting pelted by hundreds of bullets in close-up detail.

BreadnJamTomorrow

Smash Cadet
I would vastly prefer a Spartan Laser FS rather than a Warthog. I think Chief boarding a Pelican and going into the foreground of the stage in an FPS view with the Spartan Laser would be a fantastic callback to Halo’s shooter gameplay.

Warthog seems kinda clunky and uninspired in my opinion. Chief is from a very advanced technological future in a sci-fi setting in space. I think his FS being a car would be underwhelming in comparison to a huge laser gun that’s one of the most powerful weapons in core Halo gameplay.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I would vastly prefer a Spartan Laser FS rather than a Warthog. I think Chief boarding a Pelican and going into the foreground of the stage in an FPS view with the Spartan Laser would be a fantastic callback to Halo’s shooter gameplay.

Warthog seems kinda clunky and uninspired in my opinion. Chief is from a very advanced technological future in a sci-fi setting in space. I think his FS being a car would be underwhelming in comparison to a huge laser gun that’s one of the most powerful weapons in core Halo gameplay.
I think Spartan Laser kinda overlaps with other FS. Sure, there are already similar FS to Warthog run. But, I see where you are coming from.

So what's your opinion on combining the two? Or even throwing Mac rounds from Infinity to mix?

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I was working on a Halo music list if Chief gets in Smash here's what I have:

Halo theme- Combat Evolved

Under The Cover of Night- Halo: CE

Rock Anthem for Saving The World- Halo: CE

Halo Theme (Mjolnir Mix)- Halo 2

Reclaimer- Halo 2

Mombasa Suite/Blow Me Away- Halo 2

Finish The Fight- Halo 3

One Final Effort- Halo 3

Behold A Pale Horse- Halo 3

Tip of The Spear- Halo: Reach

Awakening/117- Halo 4

The Trials- Halo 5

Main theme (TBA)- Halo Infinite

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Count me in as a supporter. I've a very strong attachment to Halo, it's practically been with me my entire life. I have fond memories of Halo 3 and Reach on Forge, and I love that MCC is on PC. Can't wait for Halo 3 soon, especially with the new features like the additional skull and the extra Forge objects. Glad they're bringing Halo 3's Forge up to par with the later games.

Even today, I'm still watching Halo videos on Youtube. Legendary speedruns, tips and tricks, you name it. I don't think Halo is going away any time soon, for me.

For his final smash, it has to be the Covenant Bomb in Halo 2. It's just so iconic, even if you've never played Halo before.
Or, you could be a bit ballsy and go with a full on MAC cannon assault from one of the frigates like the Forward unto Dawn. I love the Spartan Laser (it's one of my favourite weapons to use) but I feel like Chief's FS has to be bombastic and over-the-top.

When I think of Chief, I think of him pulling crazy stunts all the time. It's what he's good at, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan

I just watched this video & it was damn good.

The fact that Halo still makes fans this passionate about it almost two decades later is a reason I think Master Chief deserves to be in Smash. The longevity & passion of Halo’s fanbase is up there with Nintendo’s franchises & the third parties already in Smash.

I feel Master Chief/Halo in Smash would almost be like the Western answer to Hero/Dragon Quest. Halo didn’t kickstart the FPS genre like DQ did to JRPGs (that goes to my boi, DoomGuy) but it’s similar in other ways.

The fervor the Bungie games created where people would line up for hours & skip work/school happened for Dragon Quest as well. Dragon Quest left a huge impact on the fantasy genre in every form of media in Japan, while Halo’s left a huge impact on sci-fi in every form of media in America. There’s tons of examples of post Halo sci-fi having Halo esque designs.

& yeah Xbox/Halo aren’t popular in Japan. But it seems that a decent amount of hardcore Japanese gamers atleast know of Halo. I remember sometime last year a Japanese YT video discussing DoomGuy was translated. A lot of the comments didn’t know who he was/what Doom was but they said he seemed like Master Chief. I feel that’s similar to Dragon Quest in the US; though Smash might’ve raised that a bit.

I am admittedly a bit biased because Halo is my favorite game series (& Halo 3 is my favorite game), but I think there’s legitimate reasons to add Master Chief outside of being a fanboy. & tbf, Mass Effect is my second favorite game series (& ME2 is my 2nd favorite game) but I don’t think Commander Shepard DESERVES to be in... though I’d die of excitement if he somehow got in lol.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
King Zell recently came back and hinted about July Direct. He never backed down on his Halo hint. I think it's possible to announce Chief's inclusion right after MCC port announcement on the same day.... in the same fashion that Cloud was announced.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
King Zell recently came back and hinted about July Direct. He never backed down on his Halo hint. I think it's possible to announce Chief's inclusion right after MCC port announcement on the same day.... in the same fashion that Cloud was announced.
Master Chief having a Cloud-style reveal in that Direct...that would blow minds.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Master Chief having a Cloud-style reveal in that Direct...that would blow minds.
God, a zoom out of Chief staring at the flaming Smash ball like Inkling's trailer would be so good. Especially with that iconic piano note!

GolisoPower

Smash Master
God, a zoom out of Chief staring at the Smash ball like Inkling's trailer would be so good. Especially with that iconic piano note!
See, I had the idea where throughout certain points of the Direct, there would be clips where a Halo Gregorian chant was singing Lifelight in a Digital Frontier cutscene, and at the end when Master Chief was revealed, that piano note would play.

D

Deleted member

See, I had the idea where throughout certain points of the Direct, there would be clips where a Halo Gregorian chant was singing Lifelight in a Digital Frontier cutscene, and at the end when Master Chief was revealed, that piano note would play.
I like it! Love how we both have the same idea of the piano note, wouldn't have it any other way. You can instantly tell it's Halo just by that one note alone.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Do you have a link? *sweating intensifies*

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I was working on a Halo music list if Chief gets in Smash here's what I have:

Halo theme- Combat Evolved

Under The Cover of Night- Halo: CE

Rock Anthem for Saving The World- Halo: CE

Halo Theme (Mjolnir Mix)- Halo 2

Reclaimer- Halo 2

Mombasa Suite/Blow Me Away- Halo 2

Finish The Fight- Halo 3

One Final Effort- Halo 3

Behold A Pale Horse- Halo 3

Tip of The Spear- Halo: Reach

Awakening/117- Halo 4

The Trials- Halo 5

Main theme (TBA)- Halo Infinite
This is a good list but no ODST? Gotta have at least one

D

Deleted member

This is a good list but no ODST? Gotta have at least one
This. NOT having Skyline would be a big missed opportunity. LOVE that track.
You guys know exactly what I'm talking about. 4:35 onwards.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
>Kelios claiming a Direct is on the 20th
>4 SKUs come up in Gamestop's database
>not one but two hints from King Zell about MCC port, to fit Nintendo appearance criteria

Last edited:
Top Bottom