• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I need a weapon" - Master Chief

volbound1700

Smash Master
People were saying the same thing about Banjo & Kazooie and look what happen. Nintendo would be dumb if they at least didn't try once to approach Microsoft in securing Chief's rights for Smash.

I respect your opinion. Though I had much more memorable memories with the Banjo-Kazooie games.
RetrogamerMax, I hope you are correct. However, B&K were original a Nintendo IP so I think they had that going for them. I still think Masterchief is a Long-shot. I thought Doomguy would happen and you see how that turned out. Doomguy is probably more deserving than Masterchief.

With COVID-19, I see Western IPs being even less likely due to the logistical difficulty. MC and Doomguy missed their shot in FP1, IMO. Then again, I could be pleasantly surprised.

I am excited to see the ARMs character. Never played the game but the IP looks fun and seems to be good fit for Smash. Surprised this character wasn't in the base game.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
RetrogamerMax, I hope you are correct. However, B&K were original a Nintendo IP so I think they had that going for them. I still think Masterchief is a Long-shot. I thought Doomguy would happen and you see how that turned out. Doomguy is probably more deserving than Masterchief.

With COVID-19, I see Western IPs being even less likely due to the logistical difficulty. MC and Doomguy missed their shot in FP1, IMO. Then again, I could be pleasantly surprised.

I am excited to see the ARMs character. Never played the game but the IP looks fun and seems to be good fit for Smash. Surprised this character wasn't in the base game.
Yes, Banjo & Kazooie were once Nintendo characters but Chief is honestly a much bigger gaming icon. Chief is literally up there with the likes of Mario, Sonic, and Pac-Man.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
It's possible that they saved Chief for next pass. King Zell spread rumor around time Banjo made in.

If we look at Smash history, Chief should come in before Doom Slayer.

Halo = Final Fantasy (More mainstream and famous. Although not first, they set standard for their respective genre)

Doom = Dragon's Quest

Cloud was seen as pipe dream back in day. Many people thought him to be too much of PS character despite appearance in few games on Nintendo.
Next, people kept saying Banjo & Kazooie were pipe dream because they are owned by Microsoft. Then, another argument got shattered.
Cloud and Chief have many similarity when it comes to Smash.
Both are more mainstream and iconic than their counterpart.
Both have(had) little to no connection to Nintendo.
Difference is that Cloud had games on Nintendo (but not the main game until later) and earlier FF on Nintendo, but FF7 represented 3rd party departure from Nintendo, so it was huge surprise.
This is about breaking boundary slowly one by one.

volbound1700

Smash Master
It's possible that they saved Chief for next pass. King Zell spread rumor around time Banjo made in.

If we look at Smash history, Chief should come in before Doom Slayer.

Halo = Final Fantasy (More mainstream and famous. Although not first, they set standard for their respective genre)

Doom = Dragon's Quest

Cloud was seen as pipe dream back in day. Many people thought him to be too much of PS character despite appearance in few games on Nintendo.
Next, people kept saying Banjo & Kazooie were pipe dream because they are owned by Microsoft. Then, another argument got shattered.
Cloud and Chief have many similarity when it comes to Smash.
Both are more mainstream and iconic than their counterpart.
Both have(had) little to no connection to Nintendo.
Difference is that Cloud had games on Nintendo (but not the main game until later) and earlier FF on Nintendo, but FF7 represented 3rd party departure from Nintendo, so it was huge surprise.
This is about breaking boundary slowly one by one.
Cloud was not a pipe dream. He is Japanese IP and very popular in Japan. It seems we are getting mostly Japanese IP (Terry Boulgard, Hero, Joker, etc.). I don't see Sakurai moving away from that. In fact with COVID-19, it is more likely that we get Japanese IP.

I am thinking Heihachi, Ryu Hayabusa (interesting that he hasn't been added yet), etc. The only Western IP that seems likely to me right now is Rayman. Crash Bandicoot is perhaps the second most likely.

I agree Masterchief is a gaming icon but he just wasn't that big in Japan. Nintendo is going to cater to their home audience first. Not to mention, the logistical challenges of trying to get a Western IP right now for Sakurai's team. His team is already hard-pressed.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Cloud was not a pipe dream. He is Japanese IP and very popular in Japan. It seems we are getting mostly Japanese IP (Terry Boulgard, Hero, Joker, etc.). I don't see Sakurai moving away from that. In fact with COVID-19, it is more likely that we get Japanese IP.

I am thinking Heihachi, Ryu Hayabusa (interesting that he hasn't been added yet), etc. The only Western IP that seems likely to me right now is Rayman. Crash Bandicoot is perhaps the second most likely.

I agree Masterchief is a gaming icon but he just wasn't that big in Japan. Nintendo is going to cater to their home audience first. Not to mention, the logistical challenges of trying to get a Western IP right now for Sakurai's team. His team is already hard-pressed.
Halo 3 sold pretty well in Japan to be fair

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Yo I just remembered this thread exists and I played like an hour of Halo 1 yesterday for the first time, I'm not usually one for shooters but goddamn was I left impressed. I've also played Reach's campaign and had loads of fun but idk, Reach wasn't hitting the same notes as Halo 1 did. Gonna play it more tomorrow cause this ****'s damn fun

Houndstooth

Smash Ace

I think that was more of a comparison than "Western IP vs Eastern IP."

Chief is the Mario of Xbox. That's the best comparison. We can argue over "who deserves it more" between the two characters, and they both will have great arguments in their favor.

Also, Cloud was definitely a pipe dream character at the time he was announced. He had never "really" appeared on an Nintendo console. He was the face of the game that caused Nintendo and Square to stop working together for so long. He definitely was wanted, but still seemed out of reach. But, time and time again, it seems that these fan rules/pipe dream characters make it in. Snake, Sonic, Cloud, K. Rool, Ridley, and Banjo/Kazooie. And, out of all of those, Banjo/Kazooie is owned by a direct competitor. If Microsoft and Nintendo are willing to work together on that, then maybe they will again.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I think that was more of a comparison than "Western IP vs Eastern IP."

Chief is the Mario of Xbox. That's the best comparison. We can argue over "who deserves it more" between the two characters, and they both will have great arguments in their favor.

Also, Cloud was definitely a pipe dream character at the time he was announced. He had never "really" appeared on an Nintendo console. He was the face of the game that caused Nintendo and Square to stop working together for so long. He definitely was wanted, but still seemed out of reach. But, time and time again, it seems that these fan rules/pipe dream characters make it in. Snake, Sonic, Cloud, K. Rool, Ridley, and Banjo/Kazooie. And, out of all of those, Banjo/Kazooie is owned by a direct competitor. If Microsoft and Nintendo are willing to work together on that, then maybe they will again.
To be fair, I thought Blackmage from FF1 would have made it in over Cloud (I actually wanted him more than a sword user). I see your point.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord

Banjo is western character. And we still got western content albeit non playable, but it's start. If you bring Japan argument, Rayman is out. Surprisingly, Rayman sold horribly there. Out of fps characters that are frequently mentioned, Chief has the best shot when it comes to Japan. Way more than half of sales come from non Japan territory. If Bandai Namco could get western characters, why can't Nintendo? We've seen our assumption get shattered here and there. Japan argument is another to break (although it's already broken in some place. )

volbound1700

Smash Master
Banjo is western character. And we still got western content albeit non playable, but it's start. If you bring Japan argument, Rayman is out. Surprisingly, Rayman sold horribly there. Out of fps characters that are frequently mentioned, Chief has the best shot when it comes to Japan. Way more than half of sales come from non Japan territory. If Bandai Namco could get western characters, why can't Nintendo? We've seen our assumption get shattered here and there. Japan argument is another to break (although it's already broken in some place. )
Masterchief isn't on any Nintendo consoles, isn't super huge in Japan, etc. I also disagree that MC is the #1 FPS character in Japan. I would say characters like Dante are higher. I see your point about Rayman not being popular but it is wierd seeing all of these Ubisoft IP without Rayman. Ubisoft is a big supporter of Nintendo and Rayman is their flagship character. This is why I think he will get in.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Masterchief isn't on any Nintendo consoles, isn't super huge in Japan, etc. I also disagree that MC is the #1 FPS character in Japan. I would say characters like Dante are higher. I see your point about Rayman not being popular but it is wierd seeing all of these Ubisoft IP without Rayman. Ubisoft is a big supporter of Nintendo and Rayman is their flagship character. This is why I think he will get in.
Dante isn't from a FPS game, though.

Idk enough about sales in Japan, but I am sure we could research what is the top selling First Person Shooter over there. But, yeah, Dante is a 3rd Person Action/Adventure game.

volbound1700

Smash Master

Idk enough about sales in Japan, but I am sure we could research what is the top selling First Person Shooter over there. But, yeah, Dante is a 3rd Person Action/Adventure game.

I know there are several FPS 1st Party games from Nintendo and Sony that are big in Japan but not that big here. I am sorry, I am being too negative here. I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE MASTERCHIEF. If I was Sakurai, I would have put him in a while back. I just don't want to get my hopes up and I just don't see it being that likely.

I am worried that another Pokemon is coming next after the ARMS character. We have enough of them.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
I know there are several FPS 1st Party games from Nintendo and Sony that are big in Japan but not that big here. I am sorry, I am being too negative here. I WOULD LOVE TO HAVE MASTERCHIEF. If I was Sakurai, I would have put him in a while back. I just don't want to get my hopes up and I just don't see it being that likely.

I am worried that another Pokemon is coming next after the ARMS character. We have enough of them.
Hey, having concerns about a character is super fine. I think everyone in here knows that it is a super long shot. I was just saying that DMC isn't a FPS game. I would like to find out what the most popular FPS games in Japan are, though. I think that is something that would be super interesting to know and discuss! :D

Could be. I am just ready to see the Mii costumes and such. I feel like that is also a good indicator of what sort of things to expect.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Is it possible that Microsoft lent its cloud gaming/online gaming tech to Nintendo like it did to Sony? Microsoft could be the key to improve Nintendo online. And Chief in Smash could really work as another bridge to fill the gap.

Also, is it possible that Microsoft would announce Chief's inclusion during their showcase on July? Chief's inclusion is basically advertisement for both sides, so maybe, Nintendo can go for shock value of letting MS handle the announcement?

Last edited:

ranmanon

Smash Cadet
Is it possible that Microsoft lent its cloud gaming/online gaming tech to Nintendo like it did to Sony? Microsoft could be the key to improve Nintendo online. And Chief in Smash could really work as another bridge to fill the gap.

Also, is it possible that Microsoft would announce Chief's inclusion during their showcase on July? Chief's inclusion is basically advertisement for both sides, so maybe, Nintendo can go for shock value of letting MS handle the announcement?
I don't think so, Smash announcements have been on Nintendo-focused videos with the sole exception of the Game Awards Joker reveal, I still believe Master Chief would be announced in a Direct after the possibility of MCC/Halo ports on Switch becoming a reality. (Note that he could still get in without those games being announced too, but I still firmly BELIEVE that his trailer would be in a Nintendo Direct).

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I don't think so, Smash announcements have been on Nintendo-focused videos with the sole exception of the Game Awards Joker reveal, I still believe Master Chief would be announced in a Direct after the possibility of MCC/Halo ports on Switch becoming a reality. (Note that he could still get in without those games being announced too, but I still firmly BELIEVE that his trailer would be in a Nintendo Direct).
I am just guessing wild event with chance like 10%? If it's MS that does announcement, then they are paying advertisement fee. Who knows how much MS want to yield?

Anyway, Halo 3 is out on PC which makes Halo 4 only one left for PC. But, I say it's possible that Switch port could've been developed along side with PC port. Halo 1 or Reach would be the first to hit.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I don’t think Microsoft would have a Smash trailer at the event that’s supposed to be about the Xbox Series X. It’d be a huge moment, but it’d have people talking about a game on a system that’s not Microsoft’s.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don’t think Microsoft would have a Smash trailer at the event that’s supposed to be about the Xbox Series X. It’d be a huge moment, but it’d have people talking about a game on a system that’s not Microsoft’s.
Maybe, they'll do a small teaser like this though..

https://youtu.be/8UlfGcJ6nUw
Yeah nah.

Microsoft events are not like the Game Awards, so there's no reason to bring up Smash at all. Not even because they're friends. I thought that XO18 taught us this.

Don't expect any Nintendo-related news, or you'll be disappointed.

Last edited:

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Yeah, an Xbox event is only going to focus on the new Xbox console and game lineup. Just like a Nintendo event is going to advertise to its audience. Now, if the Master Chief Collection really does come to the Switch? That is an announcement that Nintendo would make that would benefit both them and Microsoft.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
So who's all excited to see infinite I'm super hyped but scared because I don't want this to be another H5.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
So who's all excited to see infinite I'm super hyped but scared because I don't want this to be another H5.
I think MS and 343 know well that making a modern style game won't go over well, so I think they're gonna go the more classic route. If anything, I fear they're gonna be too afraid to risk alienating the hardcore fans again, and Infinite won't do anything original. I do like the earlier games, but there's plenty I want to see changed or, dare I say, modernized about the series; the new DOOM games are a great example of encouraging movement and aggression instead of cover-hugging, which Halo has unfortunately used as a crutch since CE; I also wish Multiplayer would revolve less around Power Weapons, as they feel like an arcade holdover that makes mechanical skill irrelevant in the face of controlling a few key weps. I get not everyone agrees with that last bit, but I'd love a more "pure skill" take on Halo rather than the "mechanics/asset control" hybrid it usually is. Maybe just have objective modes without them, idk.

Anyway, I just hope that 343 remains unafraid to shake the series up, and instead changes it in a way that honors the originals. As it stands I'm still worried it'll be some hyper-corporate hybrid of nostalgia-pandering, safe/uninteresting gameplay, and some kind of linear narrative experience to capture the Sony crowd. Maybe I'm just jaded ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I think we can all agree that just going back basic walk and shoot without advanced movement is not good idea. Even Doom incorporated advanced movement, and no one criticizes Doom for it. While keeping old fans is important, it's also important to bring new fans. I don't mean just chasing fans of other series. 343i did listen to feedback of pro Halo gamers, but it's really difficult to balance. At least, I don't think they are arrogant.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I think MS and 343 know well that making a modern style game won't go over well, so I think they're gonna go the more classic route. If anything, I fear they're gonna be too afraid to risk alienating the hardcore fans again, and Infinite won't do anything original. I do like the earlier games, but there's plenty I want to see changed or, dare I say, modernized about the series; the new DOOM games are a great example of encouraging movement and aggression instead of cover-hugging, which Halo has unfortunately used as a crutch since CE; I also wish Multiplayer would revolve less around Power Weapons, as they feel like an arcade holdover that makes mechanical skill irrelevant in the face of controlling a few key weps. I get not everyone agrees with that last bit, but I'd love a more "pure skill" take on Halo rather than the "mechanics/asset control" hybrid it usually is. Maybe just have objective modes without them, idk.

Anyway, I just hope that 343 remains unafraid to shake the series up, and instead changes it in a way that honors the originals. As it stands I'm still worried it'll be some hyper-corporate hybrid of nostalgia-pandering, safe/uninteresting gameplay, and some kind of linear narrative experience to capture the Sony crowd. Maybe I'm just jaded ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I mean I understand that at some capacity we need these modern elements to keep the series feeling fresh (I'm an old head been here since CE 22 and still here) but I just don't want halo to feel like cod which 5 certainly did again I just want it to feel like halo again not only that make the customization better as well I don't care for alot of the stuff 5 brought to the table and I'm excited because it seems infinite is going back to a classic look (although I'm happy that there keeping some new things that they made but some of bungie's designs should have never left/ redesigned) plus I just want a good story man I didn't care about Locke and I don't see my opinion changing like it did for arbiter because back in the day I didn't dislike him I loved elites lol.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I personally think going back to a more classic style would make Halo: Infinite stand out from the competition rn. Maybe keep clamber & make the movement speed a bit faster than Halo 2’s. You could bring back the jet pack but it’s an equipment piece that spawn on the map.

& yeah, I want both Chief & Steve in. But I have a feeling we won’t get two characters per company in one pass, so I gotta go with Chief for now. Hopefully we’ll get a couple more characters so Steve can get in too.

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Aaand I finished Halo 1. What a ****ing fantastic game, I genuinely didn't expect it to be so good due to it's age. I think the AR, Pistol, Shotgun and grenades are an absolute must for Chief's potential Smash kit now
I gotta ask your playing mcc right PC?

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Yeah, I accidentally tapped the select button once about halfway through and lost my **** because holy hell, being able to switch back to the original graphics seemlessly is so goddamn cool
I'm glad you're enjoying your time with it can't wait to hear what you have to say about the rest of the games.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I've already played Reach for the sake of chronological orde but Reach was merely ok to me, I'll play Halo 2 when I've cleared up my backlog more
Can't wait to hear your opinion on 3/odst my favorites in the series also personal advice don't play halo 2 on Legendary it's not fun or fair

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Aaand I finished Halo 1. What a ****ing fantastic game, I genuinely didn't expect it to be so good due to it's age. I think the AR, Pistol, Shotgun and grenades are an absolute must for Chief's potential Smash kit now
That's awesome dude. Glad to have a new Spartan join in!

As for Halo: Infinite? I am hyped. I guess I am a bit different, as I actually enjoyed Halo 5's multiplayer. I disliked the campaign a ton, however. Really wanted to see more Blue Team, but nope. Was not marketed/advertised correctly. Hunt the Truth podcast? I loved that.

Top Bottom