• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I need a weapon" - Master Chief

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
I've lurked this thread for months, but now I made a video to lend my support to the cause.
Chief Moveset Video
Dang, all the illustrations are definitely stepping up the whole "fanmade moveset" thing. The editing looked like that of a pretty large channel, too :bee:

Though, if the goal is to avoid making him too campy, the Gravity Lift idea might play out too much like Pac-Man's Hydrant or even Trampoline, given it'd be very effective to hide behind.

Being an FPS character, I am afraid he'd likely go the way of the Belmont as playstyles go... we've seen Sakurai has no qualms making projectile-heavy characters--even if it doesn't really make sense, like :ultbanjokazooie:--so it's hard for me to hope for an actual Shooter character not to play lame. But hey, :ultinkling: made it happen, so I guess you never know.

Love the weapon switching idea, by the way. It's a natural fit for Chief and it'd add a ton of variety!

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Great video! I really enjoyed watching through it. Good ideas to make the moves different enough than other characters. The "gimmick" would seem pretty balanced too, with a way to contine to fine tune it as more gameplay data was gathered from players.

D

Deleted member

Now this is the thread I'm talking about. I'd have even taken him over Banjo. Dude is just hella iconic with amazing games.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
Now this is the thread I'm talking about. I'd have even taken him over Banjo. Dude is just hella iconic with amazing games.
Don't sleep on Banjo though; the original Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie are definitely worth playing if you have an N64 or Xbox. They're very mellow games full of simple pleasures and varied challenges. Also they have gnarly soundtracks.

Last edited:

Max Hamm

Smash Rookie
Dang, all the illustrations are definitely stepping up the whole "fanmade moveset" thing. The editing looked like that of a pretty large channel, too :bee:

Though, if the goal is to avoid making him too campy, the Gravity Lift idea might play out too much like Pac-Man's Hydrant or even Trampoline, given it'd be very effective to hide behind.
That's a good point about the gravity lift. I didn't think about that, but I guess if it was implemented the way I pitched it then it'd be a wall that would shut out characters like Little Mac. Maybe Chief could toss it under him no matter what so that it puts Chief in an awkward position on stage or he'd just have the jetpack instead.

Thanks for watching the video, btw.

D

Deleted member

Don't sleep on Banjo though; the original Banjo-Kazooie and Tooie are definitely worth playing if you have an N64 or Xbox. They're very mellow games full of simple pleasures and varied challenges. Also they have gnarly soundtracks.
Oh don't get me wrong N64 is my favorite console of all time and I very much grew up with Banjo.

I just feel like even despite that, my time with Halo 3 brought me so many more memories with multiplayer.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Master Chief isn't happening. It is a pipe dream.

I would love it but we are going to get more lame, dumb characters like Joker and Terry. I also wouldn't be surprised if half of this new Fighter pass is 1st party only.
People were saying the same thing about Banjo & Kazooie and look what happen. Nintendo would be dumb if they at least didn't try once to approach Microsoft in securing Chief's rights for Smash.

Oh don't get me wrong N64 is my favorite console of all time and I very much grew up with Banjo.

I just feel like even despite that, my time with Halo 3 brought me so many more memories with multiplayer.
I respect your opinion. Though I had much more memorable memories with the Banjo-Kazooie games.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I respect your opinion. Though I had much more memorable memories with the Banjo-Kazooie games.
Just to point out, Volbound's post was about 4 months ago. I doubt they want to still converse on that. ._.;

Not that I don't agree with you. Though I admit I don't have any real fond memories of B-K, as I barely played it.

Getting back to Halo, I did play mostly multiplayer, but I own a movie and have watched Red VS Blue overall. I haven't caught up with it all, but I love the series. Freaking hilarious. In all its polygonal glory.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
Getting back to Halo, I did play mostly multiplayer, but I own a movie and have watched Red VS Blue overall. I haven't caught up with it all, but I love the series. Freaking hilarious. In all its polygonal glory.
I think most people's fondest Halo memories are in multiplayer, tbh. I'm hoping Halo Infinite takes it's single player to the next level, as an average Halo Campaign wouldn't look very good in a day where Titanfall 2, modern DOOM and the new Half-Life exist.

Infinite in general has so many variables floating around it - a new engine, half a decade since the last game, returning to the series' roots and almost total silence since it's announcement in 2018. July is gonna be wild.

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I think most people's fondest Halo memories are in multiplayer, tbh. I'm hoping Halo Infinite takes it's single player to the next level, as an average Halo Campaign wouldn't look very good in a day where Titanfall 2, modern DOOM and the new Half-Life exist.

Infinite in general has so many variables floating around it - a new engine, half a decade since the last game, returning to the series' roots and almost total silence since it's announcement in 2018. July is gonna be wild.
New engine made development much easier and better according to them. Tbf, Halo 5 was kinda rushed. And there are plenty of examples of developers with poor reputation soaring up high. Guerilla Studio with Horizon Zero Dawn comes to mind. Rumor is that Infinite will be probably open world. I think we may see huge leap of jump and change like God of War.

I wonder whether MS intends to use Smash advertisement synergy.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
New engine made development much easier and better according to them. Tbf, Halo 5 was kinda rushed. And there are plenty of examples of developers with poor reputation soaring up high. Guerilla Studio with Horizon Zero Dawn comes to mind. Rumor is that Infinite will be probably open world. I think we may see huge leap of jump and change like God of War.

I wonder whether MS intends to use Smash advertisement synergy.
A God of War style facelift could be huge for Halo. I wonder what other people would think of the idea. Of course, it'd have to be executed well, like anything, but Infinite could really go any way so I'm interested to see what 343's got.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Would Master Chief next logical step in evolution of third party inclusion?

Snake (first non-Nintendo character) > Sonic (mascot of Nintendo's first rival platform) > Cloud (non-Nintendo character, poster boy for the third-party exodus after the SNES) > Banjo (ex-Nintendo character that is now the property of a competing platform) > Master Chief (mascot of competing platform).

MattX20

Smash Hero
If they wanted to have Master Chief revealed, I imagine he would be saved for a big event like the Game Awards

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
Would Master Chief next logical step in evolution of third party inclusion?

Snake (first non-Nintendo character) > Sonic (mascot of Nintendo's first rival platform) > Cloud (non-Nintendo character, poster boy for the third-party exodus after the SNES) > Banjo (ex-Nintendo character that is now the property of a competing platform) > Master Chief (mascot of competing platform).
Either Chief or a Sony character like Ratchet, Kratos or Drake.

If they wanted to have Master Chief revealed, I imagine he would be saved for a big event like the Game Awards
Or E3. But this year we ain't having it so maybe next year's E3.
I imagine we’re still due for a “big reveal” this month or next. E3 may be canceled but the Smash team is probably still on the same schedule.

They also revealed MF Cloud in a random
November direct. So huge reveals could happen at anytime.

Does anyone remember the ResetEra leaker who claimed something along the lines of “Mario on PlayStation” is coming? Most people thought he was hinting at Halo on Switch. Has he said anything recently?

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Either Chief or a Sony character like Ratchet, Kratos or Drake.

I imagine we’re still due for a “big reveal” this month or next. E3 may be canceled but the Smash team is probably still on the same schedule.

They also revealed MF Cloud in a random
November direct. So huge reveals could happen at anytime.

Does anyone remember the ResetEra leaker who claimed something along the lines of “Mario on PlayStation” is coming? Most people thought he was hinting at Halo on Switch. Has he said anything recently?
1591459367768.png

1591459383675.png

He got the second part right as there was no announcement during Games Award last year.
He made those comments last year. We will have to wait and see. I don't think he would just come back much later only to lie or mislead like that.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I've lurked this thread for months, but now I made a video to lend my support to the cause.
Chief Moveset Video
This video was fantastic! I’d love to see you do more, I just subbed!

I really like the idea of Chief having to switch weapons often. It’s a fun gimmick that I feel represents the campaigns well. There’s very few times that you finish a level with the weapons you started out with.

View attachment 273989

View attachment 273990

He got the second part right as there was no announcement during Games Award last year.
He made those comments last year. We will have to wait and see. I don't think he would just come back much later only to lie or mislead like that.
Interesting. Perhaps he actually means Chief in Smash? Or maybe all he knows is that the Switch is getting some form of Halo content & he’s just assuming it’s a port?

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Interesting. Perhaps he actually means Chief in Smash? Or maybe all he knows is that the Switch is getting some form of Halo content & he’s just assuming it’s a port?
Or both... if Switch port is true, there is no way in hell MS would miss opportunity to put Chief in Smash. Phil Spencer went out and said he would like to see Banjo in Smash. While Switch port doesn't mean character inclusion, it's very different for Chief's case.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Or both... if Switch port is true, there is no way in hell MS would miss opportunity to put Chief in Smash. Phil Spencer went out and said he would like to see Banjo in Smash. While Switch port doesn't mean character inclusion, it's very different for Chief's case.
Especially since Chief is one of the most iconic characters, and Xbox does need the boost in Japan

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
Chief in Smash, And what does Microsoft get from Nintendo?
Licensing fees and publicity, mostly. With Halo Infinite looking to reinvigorate the series, I'm sure MSFT wouldn't mind having fresh new eyes on their biggest character.

Dukemon

Smash Apprentice
Licensing fees and publicity, mostly. With Halo Infinite looking to reinvigorate the series, I'm sure MSFT wouldn't mind having fresh new eyes on their biggest character.
You think that would be an acceltable exchange to Microsoft, giving up Exclusiveness from Xbox mascot and get attention from Japanese Gaming market on another home console?
Do you think Nintendo would do this with Mario, Link or even will give Xbox 4 SSBU?

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
You think that would be an acceltable exchange to Microsoft, giving up Exclusiveness from Xbox mascot and get attention from Japanese Gaming market on another home console?
Do you think Nintendo would do this with Mario, Link or even will give Xbox 4 SSBU?
Microsoft already allows Halo, Banjo, Gears, Fable & more of their franchises on the PS4/Switch versions of Minecraft. They allowed Ori on Switch, when this is a series they’ve been pushing a lot recently (Ori was even on PopTart boxes alongside Chief & Banjo promoting GamePass).

I don’t think MS would care that much about Master Chief in Smash. Smash has proven to be a successful marketing tool & I think getting into Smash would “validate” Chief/Halo into the Gaming Hall of Fame.

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
I wonder if Chief is revealed.. Which version of the Halo theme will be used in the trailer.. Personally, I'd rather it be the Gungir Mix or Mjolnir Mix
I think they can pull a sneaky one and switch the Halo theme for a chorus version of Lifelight in the middle of the trailer (I hope I'm not the only one who hears Lifelight everytime I boot up the Master Chief Collection to play...)

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think Phil Spencer or somebody high up in Microsoft's gaming division said something like Google and Amazon being their future competition in the gaming market. So they see Nintendo as more of a friend than a enemy nowadays. Nintendo and Microsoft might perhaps grow a stronger bond with each other as we go deeper into the digital age.

CboyC95

Smash Apprentice
Master Chief were to be considered added as a playable character, I want this to be one of the tracks:

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Let's go Master Chief, almost as good as Doom Slayer.
Chief > Doom Slayer. ;)

lol. I like both, but to each their own. I mean, in the Master Chief thread, definitely going to have more Chief over Doom Slayer.

Anyways, man, I miss E3. It feels like we should all be talking about the new games, consoles, prices, etc. Instead, we are over here waiting for some Nintendo news. PS had their info, Xbox is bringing more in July, and Nintendo is just silent. At least ARMS is still coming this month. Should hold me over until the Halo Infinite info in July.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
Doom is the bigger game than Halo right now, but Chief is the bigger character. As I see it, the appeal of Doom in Smash is bringing the fast, aggressive gameplay, as well as a hellish setting and metal soundtrack that would be unique to Smash. For Halo, it's mainly the awe of the Master Chief himself, and the beloved universe and characters he would bring with him. Some people will obviously like other aspects of these games, but I think those are the main points of appeal for each series being in Smash.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Doom is the bigger game than Halo right now, but Chief is the bigger character. As I see it, the appeal of Doom in Smash is bringing the fast, aggressive gameplay, as well as a hellish setting and metal soundtrack that would be unique to Smash. For Halo, it's mainly the awe of the Master Chief himself, and the beloved universe and characters he would bring with him. Some people will obviously like other aspects of these games, but I think those are the main points of appeal for each series being in Smash.
Yeah, there's a big enough difference between Doom and Halo for both characters to be unique and fun despite the similar genre of origin.

Doom is tactical, fighting off everything on the fly and going in guns-a-blazing. Because that's how it's always been: high-speed high-action gameplay.

While Halo can have some high-action moments, it's generally more strategic to me. It feels slower and the two-weapon slots the gameplay puts a limit on the potential for raging-bull offense, instead having to resort to more long-term plans as opposed to Doom's short-term "Rip and Tear" feel.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Sometimes, I find it hard to believe the Xbox mascot has a legitimate chance now. When Banjo & Kazooie got in, it throwed the "No western characters" and "No competitors' characters" fan rules out the window.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Yeah, there's a big enough difference between Doom and Halo for both characters to be unique and fun despite the similar genre of origin.

Doom is tactical, fighting off everything on the fly and going in guns-a-blazing. Because that's how it's always been: high-speed high-action gameplay.

While Halo can have some high-action moments, it's generally more strategic to me. It feels slower and the two-weapon slots the gameplay puts a limit on the potential for raging-bull offense, instead having to resort to more long-term plans as opposed to Doom's short-term "Rip and Tear" feel.
I remember how much Doom (or classic fps) fans bashed Halo for changing fps direction. Then, people switched target to COD for loadout, copypaste games. Then, to Fortnite for battle royal pandemic. It's like cycle.

Some people prefer more tactical and relatively more realistic approach of Halo. It's like BOTW where players are forced to try variety of weapons and equipment. Halo introduced new layer of challenge.

Sometimes, I find it hard to believe the Xbox mascot has a legitimate chance now. When Banjo & Kazooie got in, it throwed the "No western characters" and "No competitors' characters" fan rules out the window.
That just shows how far Smash has come. I mean... Bandai Namco worked with this Smash. And they have history of inviting western characters (Starwars characters, Ezio, Geralt, Nagan) to their games (Soul Caliber and Tekken) there is little to no excuse for those arguments for Nintendo, especially now.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I think there’s plenty of room on the roster for both Doom Slayer & Master Chief. If we can have a rep from damn near every important JRPG series, then we can have atleast two FPS characters. Hell, I’d love to see Gordon Freeman, Heavy & Tracer too!

Im still sad that the Slayer is seemingly deconfirmed though. He was in my top 5 most wanted characters.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Also, There's the fact that Chief is the poster boy for a rival platform

Top Bottom