• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I need a weapon" - Master Chief

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I've been thinking about this too, its a valid criticism.
However, the other angle is that the Xbox-Gamepass could come to the Switch and of course the MCC would be available through that. Best part is, there's no need for porting over.
Wouldn't that still require porting and tuning? And how much will they split profit from gamepass?

dinkeytom

Smash Apprentice
So Halo port wasn't announced at mini direct... I guess news of that magnitude isn't worth announcing during that time... Since other studios are doing MCC PC port, then who would be working on Switch port? Some unknown studio that we are not aware of?
Likely Studio 4J, Tantalus Media or Saber Interactive. There aren't many that I can think of with the talent to port game engines anymore.

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Likely Studio 4J, Tantalus Media or Saber Interactive. There aren't many that I can think of with the talent to port game engines anymore.
It's been awhile since I kept up with MCC pc port news... so aren't they all working on pc port? Can they work on switch port at the same time? Do they have experience working on Switch? Just asking.

dinkeytom

Smash Apprentice
It's been awhile since I kept up with MCC pc port news... so aren't they all working on pc port? Can they work on switch port at the same time? Do they have experience working on Switch? Just asking.
Studio 4J and Tantalus Media aren't tied to MCC. I only suggested them because Studio 4J has made many ports for Microsoft, including Minecraft for Switch. Tantalus Media has worked on some Switch and Xbox One games and did some work on Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition as well as having an impressive technical history in handheld 3D game engines.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Studio 4J and Tantalus Media aren't tied to MCC. I only suggested them because Studio 4J has made many ports for Microsoft, including Minecraft for Switch. Tantalus Media has worked on some Switch and Xbox One games and did some work on Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition as well as having an impressive technical history in handheld 3D game engines.
Oh thanks for explanation! I was bit lazy to look into their portfolios.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
Wouldn't that still require porting and tuning? And how much will they split profit from gamepass?
On the first question, honestly, you tell me.. I was under the impression it wouldn't take any 'porting' in comparison to allowing it through gamepass. I'm not a techy person..
You and I both know I can't answer that second one :p

Gaming-101

Smash Rookie
So I made this move set for Master Chief a long time ago when I was like maybe 16. I managed to find my old iPad and see if it was still in my notes and it is. I copied and pasted it onto this iPad. So here it is (any criticism I am open to):

Smash Attacks
Side Smash - He thrusts his sword forwards. This has great range and does 28% of damage.

Down Smash - He swings his sword in front of him then behind him. 23%, 19%

Up Smash - He swings his sword upwards. Great range in terms of vertical range. 25%

Tilt Attacks
Standing Attack - A Punch, Punch, and swing with his Plasma Pistol. 7%, 7%, 10%

Side Tilt - He takes the butt of his Assault Rifle and slams it against the opponent. 12%

Down Tilt - He takes the butt of his Pistol and slams it against the ground. 10%

Up Tilt - He takes the butt of his Sniper Rifle and thrust it upwards. 12%

Dash Attack - He leans forward and punches forward. The kick that he does behind him does 8% as well.

Air Attacks
Neutral Attack - Similar to Snake’s Neutral Air, except it’s only 3 kicks. Total Damage: 14%

Side Air - He lunches the air in an arc. Similar to Mario’s Neutral Air. 13%

Back Air - He turns around swings the butt of his Assault Rifle. 12%

Down Air - He swings down his Rocket Launcher. This has great range and meteor effect. 15%

Up Air - Similar to Terry’s Up Air. 13%

Special Moves

Neutral Special - Plasma Pistol - He pulls out his Plasma Pistol and can either shoot it repeatedly or charge it up for a powerful attack. Charged Pistol does 28% of damage, while shooting repeatedly does 8% of damage. If used for too long, it will leave Master Chief vulnerable and it will take 10 seconds for it to reload. 1 Orb = 1 Second

Side Special - Guardian Strike - He charges up his Guardian Sword and strikes into the ground. This is very powerful and does 30% of damage. This move can also bury opponents if used on the ground and has extremely high knockback.

Down Special - EMP Blast - Master Chief crouches down and charges up and releases both a shockwave and an explosion. The explosion has good range. (About the same range as Link’s Up Smash) and does 30% of damage. It also has a good bit of knockback and breaks shields. The shockwave only goes about a whole Bowser (LOL) ahead of him and does 10% of damage.

Up Special - Screaming Banshee - Master Chief hops into a banshee and takes it for a ride. This operates similarly to a Piranha Plant’s Up Special. You’re free to go wherever you like. You can also press “B” to shoot energy balls of 3 that does 15% of damage.

Final Smash - Halo’s Sin - Master Chief swings his sword on front of him and, if it lands, transports the player and the opponent inside the Halo while Flood and the Covenant attack the opponent. At the ending, Master Chief flies out on a Banshee. Total Damage: 60%

dinkeytom

Smash Apprentice
On the first question, honestly, you tell me.. I was under the impression it wouldn't take any 'porting' in comparison to allowing it through gamepass. I'm not a techy person..
You and I both know I can't answer that second one :p
I don't think GamePass or XCloud will come to the Switch, but I do think that maybe an app that allows you to remote play your Xbox or PC may eventually. There are too many revenue caveats. As for MCC, I don't believe a straight port could come to Switch, however a Switch edition would most likely be a collection of ports of the the Xbox 360 originals or a port of the MCC PC ports locked at a low to medium settings rather than a port using the XBONE version as the base. Therefore I don't think we will hear anything until the whole MCC has been ported to PC.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I think he wants Microsoft to focus on the launch of their next Xbox model.

Just gonna hope that if no Halo collection happens any time soon, that King Zell was just joking all along...Wait, I'm not sure how that's any better.

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman
I don't care if any of the Halo games comes to the Switch or not, I just want Master Chief to appear as a playable character in Smash! ;)

Last edited:

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
I'm not too worried about Halo appearing on switch - while it would bolster his chances to some degree, :ultcloud: and especially :ultjoker: show us how little a Nintendo connection really matters. Theirs become preeeeetty loose, under any scrutiny.

Now, I'm sure Nintendo will have at least one character specifically targeted towards westerners in FP2; :ultbanjokazooie: was undoubtedly FP1's offering, though whomever they choose doesn't necessarily have to be made in the west. To that end, I'm curious - which characters would they most likely turn to for their western slot?

Based on the past two E3 presentations, both :ultridley: and :ultbanjokazooie: have appealed to the core Smash fanbase/speculation scene. With this in mind, I think Geno would be the most likely character they'd choose. But, he requires Square Enix's cooperation, and reports vary on how willing are to add a character they don't profit from. It's hard to predict whether they'd finally let it happen, or if they'd sooner go with a more relevant character of theirs, like 2B.

If not Geno, I could see Crash happening. He's popular with demographics in and outside of Nintendo fans, with the benefit of having a decent Japanese presence, too. I wouldn't sleep on him, if I we're y'all.

Outside of that--that's where you start getting to the big, blockbuster category Chief would fall under. If, on the unlikely chance that Nintendo wants to wow a general western audience rather than a dedicated fanbase, Halo would still see competition from some under-discussed games. Skyrim, in particular, is a landmark release for anyone casually interested in gaming, and would undeniably be a huge draw. Iirc it also had a decent presence in Japan, not to mention its oft-memed emphasis in the original Switch reveal. Doomguy, I think, would be the frontrunner here, but the recent developer interview felt really candid when talking about Doom in Smash. But, there is still the chance that there's an 'SNK' thing going on, and they were just really good at acting like nothing happened. I wouldn't completely write off Doomguy, yet. That's mostly it, really. Unless Nintendo wants to ignore Geralt of Rivia's literary origins, I don't think any other Western characters could compete with the Chief.

Hopefully I didn't miss anyone, but I've been curious what Chief's competition looks like for the coveted 'Western-Appeal' slot :ohwell:

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I'm not too worried about Halo appearing on switch - while it would bolster his chances to some degree, :ultcloud: and especially :ultjoker: show us how little a Nintendo connection really matters. Theirs become preeeeetty loose, under any scrutiny.

Now, I'm sure Nintendo will have at least one character specifically targeted towards westerners in FP2; :ultbanjokazooie: was undoubtedly FP1's offering, though whomever they choose doesn't necessarily have to be made in the west. To that end, I'm curious - which characters would they most likely turn to for their western slot?

Based on the past two E3 presentations, both :ultridley: and :ultbanjokazooie: have appealed to the core Smash fanbase/speculation scene. With this in mind, I think Geno would be the most likely character they'd choose. But, he requires Square Enix's cooperation, and reports vary on how willing are to add a character they don't profit from. It's hard to predict whether they'd finally let it happen, or if they'd sooner go with a more relevant character of theirs, like 2B.

If not Geno, I could see Crash happening. He's popular with demographics in and outside of Nintendo fans, with the benefit of having a decent Japanese presence, too. I wouldn't sleep on him, if I we're y'all.

Outside of that--that's where you start getting to the big, blockbuster category Chief would fall under. If, on the unlikely chance that Nintendo wants to wow a general western audience rather than a dedicated fanbase, Halo would still see competition from some under-discussed games. Skyrim, in particular, is a landmark release for anyone casually interested in gaming, and would undeniably be a huge draw. Iirc it also had a decent presence in Japan, not to mention its oft-memed emphasis in the original Switch reveal. Doomguy, I think, would be the frontrunner here, but the recent developer interview felt really candid when talking about Doom in Smash. But, there is still the chance that there's an 'SNK' thing going on, and they were just really good at acting like nothing happened. I wouldn't completely write off Doomguy, yet. That's mostly it, really. Unless Nintendo wants to ignore Geralt of Rivia's literary origins, I don't think any other Western characters could compete with the Chief.

Hopefully I didn't miss anyone, but I've been curious what Chief's competition looks like for the coveted 'Western-Appeal' slot :ohwell:
You forgot Steve. I'm not a fan of Minecraft, but I can see his appeal. I see no reason why he can't join.

And as for Doom NDA... what Frank said turned out to be true... at least for fp1. So, Terry and Banjo are way more of outlier. I admit I was bit butthurt when he turned out to be true.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
You forgot Steve. I'm not a fan of Minecraft, but I can see his appeal. I see no reason why he can't join.

And as for Doom NDA... what Frank said turned out to be true... at least for fp1. So, Terry and Banjo are way more of outlier. I admit I was bit butthurt when he turned out to be true.
I remembered Steve after I hit post, but Smashboards was giving me trouble editing it, so thanks for bringing him up :dizzy:

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Any loophole is fair as long as it allows a character that wouldn't get in otherwise (especially considering how Final Fantasies before VII have yet to be rereleased again in this day and age). It's the main reason why I have a hard time believing that someone like Kratos could get in, and why the League of Legends character "leak" sprung out of nowhere due to the latest LoL incidentally coming for Switch sometime this year.

So I could see Master Chief take the "strenuous link" route if the only thing he's got is that Minecraft costume on Wii U. If not that, a Halo Switch collection would definitely help, if King Zell's "Halo" quote meant anything.

As for Steve, it's really hard to tell in his case. On paper, he has everything he needs to get in as a standard package (established Nintendo cred, Japan notoriety, best-selling series, etc), yet things have somehow been stacked against his favor. All leaks pertaining to him systematically got disproven, and a character not nearly as associated with Microsoft got in over him first. Fighter Pass 2 might be his last chance, but as it stands I'm not really sure if he'll even get in this game anymore.

dinkeytom

Smash Apprentice
If the MCC is coming to Switch, it would be announced possibly around autumn/winter earliest as MCC PC has almost gotten most of it its flights.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Any loophole is fair as long as it allows a character that wouldn't get in otherwise (especially considering how Final Fantasies before VII have yet to be rereleased again in this day and age). It's the main reason why I have a hard time believing that someone like Kratos could get in, and why the League of Legends character "leak" sprung out of nowhere due to the latest LoL incidentally coming for Switch sometime this year.

So I could see Master Chief take the "strenuous link" route if the only thing he's got is that Minecraft costume on Wii U. If not that, a Halo Switch collection would definitely help, if King Zell's "Halo" quote meant anything.

As for Steve, it's really hard to tell in his case. On paper, he has everything he needs to get in as a standard package (established Nintendo cred, Japan notoriety, best-selling series, etc), yet things have somehow been stacked against his favor. All leaks pertaining to him systematically got disproven, and a character not nearly as associated with Microsoft got in over him first. Fighter Pass 2 might be his last chance, but as it stands I'm not really sure if he'll even get in this game anymore.
Plus, Sakurai liked Halo 2

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
So was Phil Spencer lying? What's point of mcc port? Would that be stepping stone for Xbox ecosystem? I doubt Halo Inifinite will come to Switch even if MS wants to. Still, mcc port can work as ads.

I am curious whether Sakurai played other Halo as well.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
So only Halo 3 and 4 are left... i guess they can be done before Infinite... even if Chief is planned already, they can just release one game at a time on Switch. His inclusion doesn't mean all games should be available at once. Even without Switch port, he is tempting offer that Nintendo wouldn't just refuse.

MrJudd

Smash Journeyman
So was Phil Spencer lying? What's point of mcc port? Would that be stepping stone for Xbox ecosystem? I doubt Halo Inifinite will come to Switch even if MS wants to. Still, mcc port can work as ads.

Actually, it was more of a "tamper your expectations" because not every single Xbox exclusive is going to show up, but it isn't a denial. Remember, Grant also did this before revealing he already was involved with Banjo in Smash at that time. So, I don't consider this evidence for anything.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Honestly, even if Microsoft is friendlier now, they'd still need some Switch money from their biggest property somehow. Can't have a quid pro quo if you offer nothing in return, and having MC as Smash DLC would barely give them much in the way of added profit for Halo.

At the very least, only the first game getting on Switch would be enough.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario

I took his statement as saying don’t expect every Xbox game to show up on Switch. MCC or some Halo port could still come to Switch. I just doubt that Infinite will ever show up on Switch. If anything a Halo port would be to entice Nintendo fans to buy Infinite.

MattX20

Smash Hero
Master Chief's chances only end when either the pass ends or a different Microsoft character is chosen instead.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I took his statement as saying don’t expect every Xbox game to show up on Switch. MCC or some Halo port could still come to Switch. I just doubt that Infinite will ever show up on Switch. If anything a Halo port would be to entice Nintendo fans to buy Infinite.
And could grow the Halo brand (and by extension, Xbox) in Japan

dinkeytom

Smash Apprentice
Not to talk down anyone's hopes of getting the character they wanted, but what if Doom Guy possibly never materialized because Nintendo wanted to limit 1 spot to 1 new third party company and that they felt that they already got their shooter representative? Does anyone else think that this pass is mainly going to be Nintendo characters and Nintendo's usual partners?

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
I personally don't think they are seriously viewing things in view of filling a 'shooter representative' box. Not sure how they'd view the third party company situation though but they've been shown to be willing to work with many different companies in the first FP.
I would not be surprised at all though to find most of the characters in this second FP to be Nintendo related.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I personally don't think they are seriously viewing things in view of filling a 'shooter representative' box. Not sure how they'd view the third party company situation though but they've been shown to be willing to work with many different companies in the first FP.
I would not be surprised at all though to find most of the characters in this second FP to be Nintendo related.
To me, they're simply going by order of "okay, did we successfully negotiate for X character? If not, let's try the next one/see which one of ours we can work out in the meantime". It is entirely possible that some negotiations are challenging enough that we could get a few first/second-parties while they work those out, out of convenience.

All we know for sure is that the choices for FP2 were already locked in and decided. Whether a character from a specific genre is necessary or not is irrelevant in regards to the selection process.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Plus, the West is just as important to gaming history as Japan, perhaps even more so, as without the West, video games as we know them won't exist
I feel like Japan is slightly more important to gaming history than the west. Yes, the west invented video games and yes, the west made the FPS genre REALLY big. But Japan helped saved gaming from collapsing in the 1983 video game crash, made gaming in general a mainstream genre, made the platforming, JRPG, fighting, racing, and puzzle genres big, ect.

So many of the biggest names in the industry have come from Japan and without those names producing legendary games in the 80s and 90s, we wouldn't have a gaming industry today.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Actually, it was more of a "tamper your expectations" because not every single Xbox exclusive is going to show up, but it isn't a denial. Remember, Grant also did this before revealing he already was involved with Banjo in Smash at that time. So, I don't consider this evidence for anything.
Right... it's not like Switch can handle all those new Xbox exclusives anyway. But MCC is old game, so it could be good way to advertise Halo Infinite.

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman
You know, I honestly never thought there would be a day I'd have Master Chief as one of the most wanted for Smash Bros. Just shows how much times change.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I've lurked this thread for months, but now I made a video to lend my support to the cause.
Chief Moveset Video
I kinda like this moveset, to be honest.

I like the idea of calling down pods for getting new weapons, which is a unique way of getting more weapons into the set. I...admittedly never realized that Halo had 3 golden rules, but if I'm honest with myself, I think you hit the nail on the head there.

Top Bottom