• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I need a weapon" - Master Chief

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I will say, MK11's base game crunch is quite questionable, and the damage has already been done, but I'd say that it has the potential to be a learning experience for NetherRealm. As Ridley_Prime has said, they've taken it slower and easier on the devs during the Kombat Pack, but the real test will be the base game for whatever NetherRealm's next project is, whether it's Injustice 3 or another entirely new project altogether.

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Speaking of crunch time, Sakurai's health issue wasn't because of Nintendo, was it? It has been more of his choice iirc.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yes. His body just didn’t agree with his diet and gym routine at the time. Had nothing to do with Smash.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I guess with delay, there may be double reveal... hell may be even triple reveal?

In age of global, I think it's bs argument that Japan is the most important market. Ultimate total sales is around 17 million with 3.8 million from Japan. So, how is Japan the most important market? So, they can screw over rest of market?

Would Nintendo really reject Chief just because "Oh! Halo is niche in Japan, no thanks!" and miss golden opportunity from other market? Even if all Japan base reject (which is highly unlikely), he should more than make up from other regions.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I guess with delay, there may be double reveal... hell may be even triple reveal?

In age of global, I think it's bs argument that Japan is the most important market. Ultimate total sales is around 17 million with 3.8 million from Japan. So, how is Japan the most important market? So, they can screw over rest of market?

Would Nintendo really reject Chief just because "Oh! Halo is niche in Japan, no thanks!" and miss golden opportunity from other market? Even if all Japan base reject (which is highly unlikely), he should more than make up from other regions.
As the dlc may be delayed, all work will be postponed. That suggests that they’d start from where they left off and I don’t think 3 characters are would be in a state to be involved with a triple reveal

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
I definitely see it as the time table for their current projects being pushed back a bit. Basically, same plans, just pushed back some, you know?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I definitely see it as the time table for their current projects being pushed back a bit. Basically, same plans, just pushed back some, you know?
Theoretically. I'm not sure if I'd see the staff scramble to finish by the end of the current (until further notice) December 2021 deadline if things calm down before that point, or if it'll be stretched to a few years from now.

Last edited:

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Theoretically. I'm not sure if I'd see the staff scramble to finish by the end of the current (until further notice) December 2021 deadline if things calm down before that point, or if it'll be stretched to a few years from now.
Yeah. That's pretty much what I meant. Until things are "back to normal" then everything is on hold. Once things are back to that, then things continue as planned. Two month delay means a two month delay from start to finish. That sort of thing is what I was meaning.

But, who knows. They may drop a character early if they are done and ready to go. I am not familiar with how things are going over in Japan spcifically, or how Nintendo themselves are handling every employee.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Yeah. That's pretty much what I meant. Until things are "back to normal" then everything is on hold. Once things are back to that, then things continue as planned. Two month delay means a two month delay from start to finish. That sort of thing is what I was meaning.

But, who knows. They may drop a character early if they are done and ready to go. I am not familiar with how things are going over in Japan spcifically, or how Nintendo themselves are handling every employee.
We got a general idea for Sega, at least.

https://twitter.com/SEGA_Europe/status/1240593989281218561

And I can't do a "Mr. Yuji Naka is alright!" quip when he's left the company decades ago.

Powerman293

Smash Ace
If there ever was a character to finish off Smash, Chief would be it. He's the perfect Final Character IMO.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
"Finish the fight" tagline is really fitting to the final character, but based in Nintendo's history of ending on weak note.. I kinda doubt it. It would be nice if I'm wrong though... it's just that Nintendo would want to use big characters to draw people in early on...

And I still don't see Nintendo refusing Chief just because of Japan factor. Benefit he will bring will more than make up for Japan fanbase.

Last edited:

ceterisparibus

Smash Apprentice

It is a legitimate concern that will always been a problem, however - IF we were to get a representative that Japan doesn't care about, i think you would go the biggest franchise so that it will be able to offset any disappointments. In that vein Halo (being a huge selling franchise and the icon of a rival console) suits it better than say, DOOM or overwatch.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
It is a legitimate concern that will always been a problem, however - IF we were to get a representative that Japan doesn't care about, i think you would go the biggest franchise so that it will be able to offset any disappointments. In that vein Halo (being a huge selling franchise and the icon of a rival console) suits it better than say, DOOM or overwatch.
In my view Doom Slayer and Chief are both equally deserving and suitable for smash -- with Doom Slayer maybe having a bit of an edge in both categories. I think it's fairly reasonable to expect one of the two for Smash; it's mostly down to whether Microsoft or Bethesda is willing to play ball with Nintendo.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Last characters are for those already invested in the game, and don't mind something that goes against the grain. I'll never stop having to point this out, it seems.

In my view Doom Slayer and Chief are both equally deserving and suitable for smash -- with Doom Slayer maybe having a bit of an edge in both categories. I think it's fairly reasonable to expect one of the two for Smash; it's mostly down to whether Microsoft or Bethesda is willing to play ball with Nintendo.
Or whether both are still able to be contacted at all after this year, seeing how right now Japan has a rough time dealing with the crisis.

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Last characters are for those already invested in the game, and don't mind something that goes against the grain. I'll never stop having to point this out, it seems.

Or whether both are still able to be contacted at all after this year, seeing how right now Japan has a rough time dealing with the crisis.
One can assume that licensing for all 6 characters is already done -- the presentation that was called off was likely a progress report/brainstorming sesh/'are you OK with the way I'm implementing your character' presentation.

It's not a question of which characters will be able to get in, but which characters will be delayed/postponed (I don't see Sakurai cancelling a character under all but the most dire of circumstances, like WWIII or something).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
One can assume that licensing for all 6 characters is already done -- the presentation that was called off was likely a progress report/brainstorming sesh/'are you OK with the way I'm implementing your character' presentation.

It's not a question of which characters will be able to get in, but which characters will be delayed/postponed (I don't see Sakurai cancelling a character under all but the most dire of circumstances, like WWIII or something).
Depends on just how many are third-parties, exactly. If worse comes to worst, whatever requisite first-party is in there would move up in priority for development, if the staff gets to do anything at all. :ultbyleth:

Seriously though, how are spirit events still going on? They must clearly be using a randomiser at this point.

Last edited:

HansShotFirst20

Smash Ace
NNID
HanShot1st
Depends on just how many are third-parties, exactly. If worst comes to worse, whatever requisite first-party is in there would move up in priority for development, if the staff gets to do anything at all. :ultbyleth:

Seriously though, how are spirit events still going on? They must clearly be using a randomiser at this point.
They're just going through the whole color palette, I guess. Hopefully next week's event adds a unique spirit or 4.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
They're just going through the whole color palette, I guess. Hopefully next week's event adds a unique spirit or 4.
I just hope that it doesn't prevent news from happening. When a spirit event happens, it's usually a sign that there won't be any big Nintendo news that week (although there's been one exception so far).

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Both are willing to play ball with Nintendo. Skyrim, Doom port, Minecraft crossplay, Ori, Cuphead port, and finally Banjo's inclusion etc...

It's more on Nintendo.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Nintendo tends to be staunch traditionalists, so :ultbanjokazooie: getting in Smash is already something that demanded a lot of willing mental effort from them.

So at the very least, Microsoft's foot is in the door.
I think Minecraft crossplay and Banjo's inclusion boosted MC request. It's still crazy that he ranks high in west poll despite only justification is skin in Minecraft Switch (Though I still believe it's still foot on Nintendo). Imagine if Halo Switch port rumor actually comes true...

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
If you all forget, Microsoft openly showed interest and willingness for Master Chief in Smash Bros. Ultimate early in Fighter Pass #1's life-time so he fits the possibility for being in #2. That said I think we're all forgetting DOOM-Guy/Slayer already got deconfirmed by the fact they indeed talked with Nintendo about it, but it never went anywhere.

https://mynintendonews.com/2020/01/...in-smash-ultimate-but-it-never-went-anywhere/

That said I do think there's room in Smash for 2 green-wearing armor badasses.

Last edited:

ceterisparibus

Smash Apprentice
If you all forget, Microsoft openly showed interest and willingness for Master Chief in Smash Bros. Ultimate early in Fighter Pass #1's life-time so he fits the possibility for being in #2. That said I think we're all forgetting DOOM-Guy/Slayer already got deconfirmed by the fact they indeed talked with Nintendo about it, but it never went anywhere.

https://mynintendonews.com/2020/01/...in-smash-ultimate-but-it-never-went-anywhere/

That said I do think there's room in Smash for 2 green-wearing armor badasses.
I mean, realistically speaking i doubt either one would make it in, but if there's one character with the general recognition and sales to overcome any nonchalance that Japan has, its Halo. We're talking about the franchise which at its peak, was a incredible cultural phenomenon recorded in the US (i'm not talking about vague "everyone played it on pcs" statements) and is still considered the face of Xbox. These are huge and indisputable points in its favor, and i doubt there are any similar contenders in terms of franchise sales.

There are also other issues i think DOOM has (violence isn't really a problem; it balances between slapstick in eternal) but i think Halo/Overwatch fits smash much better (outside of general recognition).

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
I mean, realistically speaking i doubt either one would make it in, but if there's one character with the general recognition and sales to overcome any nonchalance that Japan has, its Halo. We're talking about the franchise which at its peak, was a incredible cultural phenomenon recorded in the US (i'm not talking about vague "everyone played it on pcs" statements) and is still considered the face of Xbox. These are huge and indisputable points in its favor, and i doubt there are any similar contenders in terms of franchise sales.

There are also other issues i think DOOM has (violence isn't really a problem; it balances between slapstick in eternal) but i think Halo/Overwatch fits smash much better (outside of general recognition).
Fair, except replace Overwatch with Team Fortress 2, we don't need Blizzard's communist SJW bs in Smash

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
So uh... anyone catch that new Mini Direct yet? They casually talk about Fighter 6 in there :eek:. Nothing too out there, but it'll probably be a nice addition

Last edited:

Simnm

Smash Journeyman
Fair, except replace Overwatch with Team Fortress 2, we don't need Blizzard's communist SJW bs in Smash
I knida find it hypocritical that people didnt want overwatch in smash even though they are ok with crash in smash and konami being in smash

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
You know, I think it's possible Microsoft asked for Master Chief in Smash as well, and it's not like Sakurai is unfamilar with the character, he did play Halo 2 and like it

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
You know, I think it's possible Microsoft asked for Master Chief in Smash as well, and it's not like Sakurai is unfamilar with the character, he did play Halo 2 and like it
Yep he did.

https://sourcegaming.info/2017/07/12/feelofamericangames/

I’m not one to follow these types of games particularly close but even I’ve been looking forward to Half-Life 2’s launch. This is the kind of game you upgrade your computer and graphics card for so you can really take in the visuals and environments. It’s that good.

I was especially impressed when I started playing Half-Life 2. My jaw hit the floor. I couldn’t look away from my monitor, it looked so good, and it’s great how they implemented the physics system. ‘Was this the next generation of gaming?’ I thought to myself. I couldn’t believe we were going to be getting this high a level of games in the future.

If you play both Halo 2 and Half-Life 2, you might think the concepts are pretty similar but these aren’t just run-of-the-mill FPS games.

If I had to describe these games in a sentence, I’d say a lot of effort was put into taking the player and putting them into an alternate/simulated reality. It actually reminded me a lot of Star Tours. I know they’re two completely different things but the way they draw you in and the intentions of the creators are similar.

In Half-Life 2, the game doesn’t actually enter into cutscenes. The story progression take place as you’re playing so players are free to walk around and do as they please when events are occurring or characters are talking. On the other hand, Halo 2 does have movie-like sequences so it’s a little more loose than Half-Life 2 in that sense but a lot of the drama does unfold in real-time while the player is still in control of the character. After a battle, can I count on my allies above to provide some cover and supplies? There’s drama, a virtual world, and progression. It’s like the holy trinity of games coming together.

In these two games, the player can turn their back on a scene that’s unfolding and miss what’s going on. The player is the one deciding what it is they’re going to be looking at. This inconvenience and degree of freedom go a long way in adding a sense of reality to the world.

These games also have AI partners that attack, defend, and even converse. It adds a sense of realism that’s almost unbelievable when they take cover and group up to respond to what is happening on the battlefield.

…What have I been going on about up to this point? From here on out I’m going to talk about the prevailing viewpoint… Or maybe it will just be my opinion. I know that not all foreign gamers are going to necessarily fit this description but please allow me to provide a quick little synopsis of American games.

Halo 2 and Half-Life 2 were developed in foreign countries. Perhaps foreign gamers simply like to play in realistic environments but I feel like there is something else to it. I think that American gamers have a stronger feeling that they themselves are the character in the game that Japanese gamers don’t feel as strongly.
Sure, he emphasizes Half Life 2 more, but this still covers one of important criteria.

dinkeytom

Smash Apprentice
I know that it wouldn't make much difference for us English speakers but I wonder if Sakurai would get Masaki Tani to reprise Japanese Master Chief's role or will Microsoft insist that he is voiced by Rikiya Koyama. Japanese Halo fans were upset that they changed actors since Halo 4.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
Here's something to think about, with us now knowing the next character is supposedly coming in June, do we think there will be 1 or 2 more characters released before the end of this year? Taking into consideration people even in Japan having to quarantine, I have a suspicion it'll only be one more this year, perhaps close to the holidays near the end of it.

With that in mind, if Chief is coming to FP2 I would think he'd be DLC fighter #7. Wait a second… The number 7?!?! Funny coincidence but overall, this would line up nicely with everything, especially if the MCC is announced for the Switch.
Do you think in this scenario around summer/June/July/E3 that a character/gameplay reveal would happen for the ARMS fighter and at the same time or shortly after there'd be an epic reveal for Chief?

I know that it wouldn't make much difference for us English speakers but I wonder if Sakurai would get Masaki Tani to reprise Japanese Master Chief's role or will Microsoft insist that he is voiced by Rikiya Koyama. Japanese Halo fans were upset that they changed actors since Halo 4.
That is an interesting point. I'd be curious to also know what their decision would be in this situation.

Last edited:

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
Given how spread out the fighters will presumably be, and the possibility of development setbacks thanks to Winnie the Flu, I struggle to see a dual reveal at E3. They might just want ARMS to hold that down on the strength of the 'who is it??' mystery they've set up.

As ungrateful as it may sound, I'm super interested in the character after this coming one. Will it reinforce the first-party tone? Will it go back to unexpected guests like the first pass? Or will they offer up someone big out of nowhere?

Oh, and as an addendum, what do people think about the lack of news about Halo on Switch? By this time last year, we had confirmation of DQ11 for Switch, which I interpreted as a sort of setup for the eventual Smash reveal. Given we've heard nothing about Halo and it's almost April, it seems to me less likely that Chief, if at all, would be coming particularly soon. Thoughts?

Last edited:

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
Agreed, a dual reveal doesn't seem likely given the circumstances.

It'll certainly be interesting to know just as it was for the first one this pass! Again, especially considering the circumstances. In which case, I'm somewhat expecting another first party character as that might be easier to do in these times currently unless they already have enough set up or find a workaround.

I definitely initially expected a Halo on Switch reveal sooner if it is to happen. I'll give it till the end of this year though. Same goes for my expectations on whether Chief is making it into Smash. If not this year, I won't hold my breath.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Agreed, a dual reveal doesn't seem likely given the circumstances.

It'll certainly be interesting to know just as it was for the first one this pass! Again, especially considering the circumstances. In which case, I'm somewhat expecting another first party character as that might be easier to do in these times currently unless they already have enough set up or find a workaround.

I definitely initially expected a Halo on Switch reveal sooner if it is to happen. I'll give it till the end of this year though. Same goes for my expectations on whether Chief is making it into Smash. If not this year, I won't hold my breath.
So Halo port wasn't announced at mini direct... I guess news of that magnitude isn't worth announcing during that time... Since other studios are doing MCC PC port, then who would be working on Switch port? Some unknown studio that we are not aware of?

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
So Halo port wasn't announced at mini direct... I guess news of that magnitude isn't worth announcing during that time... Since other studios are doing MCC PC port, then who would be working on Switch port? Some unknown studio that we are not aware of?
I've been thinking about this too, its a valid criticism.
However, the other angle is that the Xbox-Gamepass could come to the Switch and of course the MCC would be available through that. Best part is, there's no need for porting over.

Top Bottom