• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I need a weapon" - Master Chief

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Resident Evil isn't exactly small potatoes either. I'd argue it's as renowned as Halo if not more. It certainly did as much (if not more) for survival horror as Halo did for the FPS genre. Also up there with like Street Fighter as one of Capcom's biggest IP's.

And it got a spirit event one day out of nowhere. They could very well do that with Halo or anything too. I see no reason to mental gymnastics around that.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Speaking of other IPs getting in something out of nowhere, Lara Croft got in Brawlhalla recently. Not that it really means much. :ult_terry:

Depending on when or if Chief gets a spirit, costume, whatever random collectible, it would have to be when a possible Halo Switch port deal was done too late for it to matter, but still allows Chief to get in via a smaller form.

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
It's not about "Sakurai WILL/WON'T do this" it's about "Sakurai COULD do this"
Sakurai could do it... in what sense? Licensing fee? Moveset? Staying faithful to the series? Japanese market?

Yeah, sorry if I sound like playing mental gymnastic. I am almost
I wasn't talking in term of legacy on genre. I was simply appealing to Chief's status as Xbox mascot. He is like Mario and Sonic. Different from Jill or Chris.

Speaking of Mii/Spirit, does that also apply to Crash and Sora?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
No complicated 4D reason, honestly; as the guy said before, the game is set to have as many collaborations as possible, whether it's through fighters or collectibles. If there's any concrete reason we wouldn't explicitly know unless Nintendo announced it officially themselves.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
A big factor too could be Halo Infinite, Master Chief in Smash could promote that and possibly, as I said, promote the Xbox brand (or at least Halo) in Japan.. a market Microsoft has yet to crack

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
A big factor too could be Halo Infinite, Master Chief in Smash could promote that and possibly, as I said, promote the Xbox brand (or at least Halo) in Japan.. a market Microsoft has yet to crack
Maybe, but Microsoft would need more than Halo to sell Xbox in Japan. Shooters over there aren't popular unless they have squids in them... Microsoft's gonna need some JRPG's to get off the ground over there

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
On the topic of Xbox in Japan, did any of y'all play Blue Dragon on the 360? I think that was one of their attempts to get into that market, and it just didn't work. I was young when it came out, and had never played a proper JRPG before or since, but I remember liking it :ohwell:

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
I loved Lost Odyssey for the Xbox 360!
You got me - I had to google that one. Turns out it was developed and released in Japan before an international release? How bizarre for an Xbox 360 game. Looks like it sold around 100,000 copies in Japan. That's decent, isn't it? I mean, for an Xbox 360 exclusive, that's gotta be.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
The only thing that'll get Xbox to move gangbusters over there is a Smash Bros. promotion, that boosts attention for anything.

I mean, the 360 even had a Tales Of entry, and it still didn't do much.
And who better than the poster boy himself. I know Steve is owned by Microsoft too, but people don't assoiciate Minecraft with Xbox, the way they do with Halo

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
i hope Microsoft ports Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon those games deserve a second chance man it would be a shame if they just stay on 360

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
i hope Microsoft ports Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon those games deserve a second chance man it would be a shame if they just stay on 360
Closest thing rn is that both games are backwards compatible with the One (I actually received LO free a while ago for December), but a remaster would be nice too.

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
So, can we agree that Frank O'Conor's statement doesn't apply to FP2?
Most people seem to think that if a character was deconfirmed during FP1, they now have a second chance in Vol 2 due to potential devolpments. Just take a look at how much Travis Touchdown is being thrown around as a possibility, even though he was deconfirmed by his creator ages ago.

Personally, I think Chief (or any other “deconfirmed” character for that matter) is still possible, but I won’t rule out the statement as evidence against his conclusion, as there’s nothing to suggest that it isn’t valid to this day.

Amped_Form

Smash Cadet
Switch FC
SW-3498-3780-6793
Most people seem to think that if a character was deconfirmed during FP1, they now have a second chance in Vol 2 due to potential devolpments. Just take a look at how much Travis Touchdown is being thrown around as a possibility, even though he was deconfirmed by his creator ages ago.

Personally, I think Chief (or any other “deconfirmed” character for that matter) is still possible, but I won’t rule out the statement as evidence against his conclusion, as there’s nothing to suggest that it isn’t valid to this day.
Yeah I think Master Chief has a good shot for FP2.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

I won't see it as 100% definite until Halo gets on the Switch.

Besides, Goichi Suda treats Smash much more seriously overall, so I don't think it'd be a troll move on his part to lie about Travis getting his chance another time, but that's just me.

Last edited:

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
Combat Evolved Anniversary now on Steam

We movin'
Fingers crossed that the port is good. I won't get to try it for a few weeks, but I had a lot of fun with Reach, DMR spam notwithstanding :ohwell:

I never played CE much, particularly not the multiplayer, so it's gonna be cool to try while the playerbase is still active. Hopefully CE's got a little more staying power than Reach...

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Fingers crossed that the port is good. I won't get to try it for a few weeks, but I had a lot of fun with Reach, DMR spam notwithstanding :ohwell:

I never played CE much, particularly not the multiplayer, so it's gonna be cool to try while the playerbase is still active. Hopefully CE's got a little more staying power than Reach...
Combat evolved should be fun but I can never find a match on xbox so I pray you PC players have better luck

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
What do you think the odds are that Microsoft only let Nintendo put Banjo in if Nintendo would agree to ask Sakurai to make John-117 playable in Smash?

Trevenant

Smash Lord
What do you think the odds are that Microsoft only let Nintendo put Banjo in if Nintendo would agree to ask Sakurai to make John-117 playable in Smash?
I’d just like to throw down my support for Chief. And I don’t really think they negotiated for Chief at the same time they did for Banjo. I honestly doubt he was even brought up so seriously that they made plans for him playable. They most likely did mention him but I doubt they got anywhere.

Sakurai, Rare, Microsoft and Nintendo have all said that Banjo and Kazooie were an easy deal to make and I wouldn’t really call it an easy deal if they were going to have to put in Master Chief or no Banjo and Kazooie. I’m not saying I don’t think Chief has a shot for this pass as he has a somewhat good shot but it’s fairly unlikely that he was negotiated for around when they were discussing negotiations for Banjo and Kazooie.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I’d just like to throw down my support for Chief. And I don’t really think they negotiated for Chief at the same time they did for Banjo. I honestly doubt he was even brought up so seriously that they made plans for him playable. They most likely did mention him but I doubt they got anywhere.

Sakurai, Rare, Microsoft and Nintendo have all said that Banjo and Kazooie were an easy deal to make and I wouldn’t really call it an easy deal if they were going to have to put in Master Chief or no Banjo and Kazooie. I’m not saying I don’t think Chief has a shot for this pass as he has a somewhat good shot but it’s fairly unlikely that he was negotiated for around when they were discussing negotiations for Banjo and Kazooie.
Perhaps, you might be right, but there's always Smash 6

Trevenant

Smash Lord
If Smash 6 is actually the hypothetical reboot everyone is talking about which is probably the most likely options I expect whoever the next director of Smash to make Smash about Nintendo once more and severely trim down the roster. If they were to still keep it as a gaming crossover there probably wouldn’t be enough to cut.

Imo Chief is basically now or never. I think it’s very possible he was negotiated for when they were negotiating for characters in season 2 but I don’t think Banjo and Kazooie negotiations had much to do with it

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
It's also possible that Nintendo wants to save big shots for later installment.

"Master Chief? We better save him for Smash 6!"

I can see this reasoning behind this.

They could've hidden negotiation regarding Chief. There is no need to reveal something huge like that. They are right that Banjo negotiation was easy. But, that doesn't mean they were talking about bundling Chief along the way.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion

They could've hidden negotiation regarding Chief. There is no need to reveal something huge like that. They are right that Banjo negotiation was easy. But, that doesn't mean they were talking about bundling Chief along the way.
Hell, I'd argue, that might be the case

We'll just have to wait and see, I suppose.

Edit: Sorry for the double post

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman

Its possible but with them saying that they are only focusing on Ultimate right now supposedly I kinda doubt this.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
As the title of the game suggests, this is the ultimate Smash. If Chief or someone gets in now, it would be a much bigger victory than them getting in some next game/reboot with a trimmed roster, as well as the who knows how long wait there would be for it. I agree with the now or never mindset.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
As the title of the game suggests, this is the ultimate Smash. If Chief or someone gets in now, it would be a much bigger victory than them getting in some next game/reboot with a trimmed roster, as well as the who knows how long wait there would be for it. I agree with the now or never mindset.
I also agree, maybe Microsoft did ask for him too

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Honestly, I think it'd be fairer chances for Chief to get in the next game, since the staff would be less likely to take the polite/chivalry route in regards to including characters that represent newly-added third-parties.

I honestly am not concerned at all about this whole supposed "character needs to be in this specific installment or it won't be as impressive in any other context" requirement. Brawl wasn't nearly as beloved as Melee, yet the additions of Sonic and Snake were still big deals. Ditto 4 with Pac-Man, Mega Man and others.

Besides, Microsoft is onboard now, so that ensures a meal ticket for them to collaborate with Ninty again should the need arises.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Brawl is kinda more appreciated now than it was back then because nostalgia, whereas Smash 4 isn't looked back on nearly as favorably, being seen as merely the stepping stone for Ultimate now (what with the ballot and everything that took place during it), though regardless, any kind of next game will have some tough shoes to fill after Ult.

Apart from that, I'd also argue that Chief getting in now would be better timing for Halo. The series finally started picking up some of the steam it lost after Halo 4 and 5, with the more recent MCC updates and 6 around the corner. For all we know, Halo will be dead or dormant again by the time of the next Smash, and while Chief could still get in even then, I stand by my statement that him getting in now would be a bigger and better victory.

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
Brawl is kinda more appreciated now than it was back then because nostalgia, whereas Smash 4 isn't looked back on nearly as favorably, being seen as merely the stepping stone for Ultimate now (what with the ballot and everything that took place during it), though regardless, any kind of next game will have some tough shoes to fill after Ult.

Apart from that, I'd also argue that Chief getting in now would be better timing for Halo. The series finally started picking up some of the steam it lost after Halo 4 and 5, with the more recent MCC updates and 6 around the corner. For all we know, Halo will be dead or dormant again by the time of the next Smash, and while Chief could still get in even then, I stand by my statement that him getting in now would be a bigger and better victory.
Yeah, but for now, this year is looking to be pretty jam packed with Halo what with Halo 6, the rest of the MCC being playable on PC, and those MCC on Switch rumors (this one is still an unknown, though)

Top Bottom