• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I need a weapon" - Master Chief

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
It was said that the Switch would be supported longer than the average system. Ultimate is undeniably where Smash peaked too regardless, so happy to be sticking with it for the long haul, whether we get a playable FPS icon or not. There won't be another Smash like it, as there'll undoubtedly be a certain chunk of cuts one way or the other with a next game (Sakurai himself said there's no way the next Smash will have nearly as much characters which I can understand when things like licensing play a factor), so just enjoy the current ride rather than speculate that far into the future. That’s my prerogative anyway.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The main draw of every start of Smash speculation is the newcomers. Even if we start with only 20ish veterans next time, there's certainly going to be a fresh batch of newcomers, especially if some of those are ones people have wanted to see for a while by that point.

If for some reason Chief doesn't get in this time, he'll be a shoo-in if a Halo collection gets on the Switch by then.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I still wish you guys the best of luck. Given rumors that Microsoft might get a second rep, Chief's in a really good spot if it's true.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
I mean, if MS gets a second rep, it will be Chief, Steve is more of a Mii costume choice
I wouldn't be too sure of that. Minecraft is the best-selling game of all time, isn't it? Unlike Halo, it's popular in the west and east, with people young and old. After almost a decade, it's still going strong. Master Chief is a bigger character than Steve, I think, but Minecraft is a bigger universe than Halo, and has more reach than just about any game I can think of. I'm not saying Steve would 100% be the choice, but I wouldn't be surprised, at all.

Just keep our expectations in check, ya know?

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I wouldn't be too sure of that. Minecraft is the best-selling game of all time, isn't it? Unlike Halo, it's popular in the west and east, with people young and old. After almost a decade, it's still going strong. Master Chief is a bigger character than Steve, I think, but Minecraft is a bigger universe than Halo, and has more reach than just about any game I can think of. I'm not saying Steve would 100% be the choice, but I wouldn't be surprised, at all.

Aubrey Norris deconfirmed him though

Lionfranky

Smash Lord

There are precedents where series with lower sales got rep... plenty of examples in fact.
Crash, Sora and Geno are requested way more than Tracer and Lara Croft, but Overwatch is way more successful than Crash, and Tomb Raider dwarf both Mario RPG and Kingdom Heart. So, it's fine to expect the same.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
There are precedents where series with lower sales got rep... plenty of examples in fact.
Crash, Sora and Geno are requested way more than Tracer and Lara Croft, but Overwatch is way more successful than Crash, and Tomb Raider dwarf both Mario RPG and Kingdom Heart. So, it's fine to expect the same.
Of course, it does depend how reasonable a company and/or their associated creators are. For instance, Nintendo and Sak had to give an arm and a leg just to get songs for Dragon Quest from Enix, and even then they weren't orchestrated, let alone remixed in any form.

While it's hard to tell if Square-Enix will let any of their other related characters in here this time, getting Crash doesn't seem overly complicated; he's fully owned by Activision to the point that every character in the franchise can be used by them, no matter who created each one in the first place.

In any case, it's quite clear that as far as Smash inclusion goes, there is no question that :ultbanjokazooie: took priority due to their historical fan demand. Even if Chief and/or Steve can't get in this time, the door will always remain open since Microsoft has firmly stepped its foot into Smash.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Of course, it does depend how reasonable a company and/or their associated creators are. For instance, Nintendo and Sak had to give an arm and a leg just to get songs for Dragon Quest from Enix, and even then they weren't orchestrated, let alone remixed in any form.

While it's hard to tell if Square-Enix will let any of their other related characters in here this time, getting Crash doesn't seem overly complicated; he's fully owned by Activision to the point that every character in the franchise can be used by them, no matter who created each one in the first place.

In any case, it's quite clear that as far as Smash inclusion goes, there is no question that :ultbanjokazooie: took priority due to their historical fan demand. Even if Chief and/or Steve can't get in this time, the door will always remain open since Microsoft has firmly stepped its foot into Smash.
Plus, Chief is a gaming icon, as big of one as Mario or Sonic

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Plus, Chief is a gaming icon, as big of one as Mario or Sonic
I wouldn’t go that far with Chief. He may be an icon but definitely not to the extent of Mario and Sonic. Those 2 are characters that you’d be able get someone to recognise in the street but you can’t really say the same for Chief. Series sales are also evident of such

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I wouldn’t go that far with Chief. He may be an icon but definitely not to the extent of Mario and Sonic. Those 2 are characters that you’d be able get someone to recognise in the street but you can’t really say the same for Chief. Series sales are also evident of such
Uh, Halo has sold 65 million copies, plus he got a wax figure at Madame Tussauds, Master Chief was the first video game character to get that honor

Last edited:

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Uh, Halo has sold 65 million copies, plus he got a wax figure at Madame Tussauds, Master Chief was the first video game character to get that honor
But does that really warrant calling him an icon to the extent of Mario and Sonic who have sold 800m and 500m respectively? Like I said he may be an icon but he is nowhere near Mario and Sonic and Maddam Tussaud’s isn’t anything tbh

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
He’s deserving enough, sure, but I’m in the camp that expecting him as some inevitability or considering him a shooin is likely setting yourself up for disappointment.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
He’s deserving enough, sure, but I’m in the camp that expecting him as some inevitability or considering him a shooin is likely setting yourself up for disappointment.
This is the way I look at it and would like others who are expecting him for no real reason to.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It's hard to convince those who don't expect any possibility or undesirable outcome to happen until it's too late. I went through this many times in this speculation period. Nothing we can do about that.

Just let things take their course and go "I told you so" after the fact.

Last edited:

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289

Chief is Microsoft's Mario he just makes more sense over someone like Steve

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
It depends on the region. In the US, Master Chief is absolutely on the level of Mario or Sonic. He’s easily recognizable here. If they don’t know his name they’ll at least be familiar with his design or the name of the franchise.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
It depends on the region. In the US, Master Chief is absolutely on the level of Mario or Sonic. He’s easily recognizable here. If they don’t know his name they’ll at least be familiar with his design or the name of the franchise.
Yeah my main point was worldwide he is pretty far from Mario and Sonic levels and claiming he is such is a large stretch. Both of their series’s have sold t least 500m and if it’s true about Halo’s 68 m or whatever then that suggests a lot about how Chief really isn’t up to their levels worldwide

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Yeah my main point was worldwide he is pretty far from Mario and Sonic levels and claiming he is such is a large stretch. Both of their series’s have sold t least 500m and if it’s true about Halo’s 68 m or whatever then that suggests a lot about how Chief really isn’t up to their levels worldwide
It's also worth noting that those two have been way longer. So, they have way more titles on their belts. At least, Chief is more recognizeable even in Japan than Reimu is in US.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
It's also worth noting that those two have been way longer. So, they have way more titles on their belts. At least, Chief is more recognizeable even in Japan than Reimu is in US.
I mean Reimu being less popular in the US than Chief is in Japan is a no brainer. Chief is a lot more well known in general while Reimu is largely only known in Japan which means it’s a testament to how popular they are in countries they are lesser known in no matter how obscure they may be in comparison to household names in said countries

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
The main draw of every start of Smash speculation is the newcomers. Even if we start with only 20ish veterans next time, there's certainly going to be a fresh batch of newcomers, especially if some of those are ones people have wanted to see for a while by that point.
I would honestly expect as much activism for veterans for the next Smash (during the announcement pre-release time) as much as newcomers if not more. Again, Smash peaked with Ultimate, and certain cuts will be expected, so fans of the veterans, especially all the hype ones who debuted in Ultimate, will have people focused on wanting them back, perhaps more than whatever newcomers you could have at that point.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I would honestly expect as much activism for veterans for the next Smash (during the announcement pre-release time) as much as newcomers if not more. Again, Smash peaked with Ultimate, and certain cuts will be expected, so fans of the veterans, especially all the hype ones who debuted in Ultimate, will have people focused on wanting them back, perhaps more than whatever newcomers you could have at that point.
Even so, we may still get a few newcomers that previously were set aside due to circumstance or not thought to be possible before. In the meantime, it's important that fans let Nintendo know that most veterans can come back readily, even with no fan polls on the horizon. We got the rest of the Switch's lifespan for the word to be heard, though demand can wait at least a year or so after Ultimate's conclusion.

One thing for sure is though, it'll be a struggle to bring :ultcloud: even if he has a new English VA now, never mind :ulthero:.

As for me, I'll always come back no matter who they "cut". There's always something new to look forward to gameplay-wise even when most veterans aren't around.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
That’s fair. Long as they don’t somehow develop an MvCI kind of philosophy (you don’t play as characters, you play as functions, etc), chances are I can live with whatever future Smash that happens, all the while still happily playing Ultimate by then either way, which hopefully by the end of the DLC season 2 cycle will have a long standing scene like Melee, long run.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
If Chief were revealed as coming to Smash at E3, would it be during Nintendo's Direct, or during Microsoft's press conference?
Ideally we get a Joker like tease in Xbox's press conference while the full reveal is shown the next day at Ninty's E3 direct.

I can almost see it now.

"Master Chief you mind telling me why you're on the way to Nintendo's E3 presentation?"

GolisoPower

Smash Master
The Direct, naturally. We wouldn't have any idea of a Microsoft character coming unless watching for Nintendo news is listed under Microsoft's schedule like last time.
I'd say it could go either way if pulled off in such a way that the audience is left guessing until the tagline. Kinda like with the Rosalina & Luma trailer where everyone thought Kirby was gonna be in the next Mario Kart.

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Ideally we get a Joker like tease in Xbox's press conference while the full reveal is shown the next day at Ninty's E3 direct.

I can almost see it now.

"Master Chief you mind telling me why you're on the way to Nintendo's E3 presentation?"
"Sir, Finishing This Fight"

*cue Smash splash screen*

(sorry, I just had to)

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I think the real roadblock is Japan market. What do you guys think about this? "Xbox sold poorly in Japan!"

Undertale seems more prominent than Cuphead despite having lower sales. This may apply to Halo in Japan? Despite low sales in Japan, Halo is somewhat recognizeable.

BreadnJamTomorrow

Smash Cadet
I think the real roadblock is Japan market. What do you guys think about this? "Xbox sold poorly in Japan!"

Undertale seems more prominent than Cuphead despite having lower sales. This may apply to Halo in Japan? Despite low sales in Japan, Halo is somewhat recognizeable.
I think Halo is similar over there to how Dragon Quest is viewed here: Absolutely nobody can deny their legacy. They were both MASSIVELY influential properties for their respective genre (JRPGs for DQ and Online FPSs for Halo) and paved the way for a lot future titles and series in both of those. They sold incredibly well in their home market and are very much beloved there. Although they are relatively obscure outside of that, even though they have been localized for other countries. But despite Dragon Quest's obscurity here in the West, nobody can deny that Hero deserves a spot in Smash. I think Japanese players would feel the same about Master Chief.

S/N: It's also funny how the 3rd title in both series are viewed as the pinnacle of what they have to offer haha.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I think Halo is similar over there to how Dragon Quest is viewed here: Absolutely nobody can deny their legacy. They were both MASSIVELY influential properties for their respective genre (JRPGs for DQ and Online FPSs for Halo) and paved the way for a lot future titles and series in both of those. They sold incredibly well in their home market and are very much beloved there. Although they are relatively obscure outside of that, even though they have been localized for other countries. But despite Dragon Quest's obscurity here in the West, nobody can deny that Hero deserves a spot in Smash. I think Japanese players would feel the same about Master Chief.

S/N: It's also funny how the 3rd title in both series are viewed as the pinnacle of what they have to offer haha.
Then I’d say that would be a good trade. Hero in Smash makes Dragon Quest more well-known in the West, Master Chief in Smash would make Halo (and by extension Xbox), more well known in Japan.

Yes, Banjo and Kazooie kinda made Xbox trending on Japan’s Twitter, but I don’t know if that affected anything there. Regardless, Banjo’s a start.

Last edited:

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
Anybody could get Spirited Away (or Mii Costumed, like Altair), these days, huh? I want to say Halo is big enough to avoid that, but Nintendo did just announce a Resident Evil event, one day... :(

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Anybody could get Spirited Away (or Mii Costumed, like Altair), these days, huh? I want to say Halo is big enough to avoid that, but Nintendo did just announce a Resident Evil event, one day... :(
This can also mean that they would rather get Halo over Minecraft. Like I said here before, Halo has advantage over like of Warframe and Resident Evil.
It's face of Xbox aka mascot. I am just saying advantage Halo has over those series.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
This can also mean that they would rather get Halo over Minecraft. Like I said here before, Halo has advantage over like of Warframe and Resident Evil.
It's face of Xbox aka mascot. I am just saying advantage Halo has over those series.
That really doesn't mean anything.
Pokemon's the biggest media franchise ever but Sword and Shield just got a Spirit Event.

Halo could easily get hit by a spirit event of some sort or a mii costume. Every single franchise and the vast majority of characters yet to be in Smash is on this same boat regardless of how big and impactful they are.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
That really doesn't mean anything.
Pokemon's the biggest media franchise ever but Sword and Shield just got a Spirit Event.

Halo could easily get hit by a spirit event of some sort or a mii costume. Every single franchise and the vast majority of characters yet to be in Smash is on this same boat regardless of how big and impactful they are.
Pokemon is already represented in Smash though.

I am just trying to compare Halo to other franchises so far that got into only as Mii or spirit. Is it stretch? Yeah. But it's difference worth considering. I don't think Sakurai would try to treat Halo with only Mii or spirit. And, Microsoft will most likely insure that won't happen.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Pokemon is already represented in Smash though.
Gen 8 wasn't in Smash in the same vein that Three Houses wasn't.
Pokemon and FE are different to most other franchises in how they work.

I don't think Sakurai would try to treat Halo with only Mii or spirit. And, Microsoft will most likely insure that won't happen.
It's not about "Sakurai WILL/WON'T do this" it's about "Sakurai COULD do this"

Top Bottom