• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I need a weapon" - Master Chief

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
So what are you saying? Master Chief wouldn't be added because he is already expected? Or he will be added he would be internet breaking?

At this point, we are all speculating. Both sides have good points. But, if King Zell's rumor comes true, then, it only confirms that Microsoft definitely approached Nintendo for Chief in Smash.
Nintendo would be stupid if they refused. Chief's an instantly recognizable icon of the industry. He's arguably the face of Western gaming... It would be just like Sonic's reveal in Brawl, it would generate nuclear hype, which means sales

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
So what are you saying? Master Chief wouldn't be added because he is already expected? Or he will be added he would be internet breaking?

At this point, we are all speculating. Both sides have good points. But, if King Zell's rumor comes true, then, it only confirms that Microsoft definitely approached Nintendo for Chief in Smash.
No I’m just saying people should stop saying Chief is more likely than characters who make a lot more sense for smash from the standpoint that they wouldn’t be advertising a rival console like Doom Guy and unlike Chief

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
No I’m just saying people should stop saying Chief is more likely than characters who make a lot more sense for smash from the standpoint that they wouldn’t be advertising a rival console like Doom Guy and unlike Chief
They already crossed Rubicon River though. Rare Replay isn't on Switch, yet Banjo still made in. The game is still exclusive on the rival system. It's still the same principal regardless of relativity or size of franchise.

Nintendo gains far more from accepting Master Chief than Doom Slayer. Whatever may concern helping rival console, they can also gain more in return. Despite setback, Halo fanbase is still passionate and ongoing. Microsoft decided not to do their own Smash bro (not counting Killer Instinct) so they may as well just push Chief into Smash.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
They already crossed Rubicon River though. Rare Replay isn't on Switch, yet Banjo still made in. The game is still exclusive on the rival system. It's still the same principal regardless of relativity or size of franchise.

Nintendo gains far more from accepting Master Chief than Doom Slayer. Whatever may concern helping rival console, they can also gain more in return. Despite setback, Halo fanbase is still passionate and ongoing. Microsoft decided not to do their own Smash bro (not counting Killer Instinct) so they may as well just push Chief into Smash.
Tbh Banjo didn’t open any doors for Chief. A former second party character who was up for the taking due to being from a dead series. Like i said they lose a lot more if they put in Chief by advertising a rival system. Realistically speaking Chief should still be a long shot like he always has been

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
People, let's consider the following: the multi-platform Persona 5 Scramble was teased as P5S on December 2018, then got fully revealed on April 2019, the same month that :ultjoker: got released. Before this, his only Nintendo appearance was on Persona Q2.

The point is, I wouldn't doubt the possibility that a Halo collection port had been planned behind the scenes for some time, to make Chief's transition into Smash a lot smoother than it would be otherwise.

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Tbh Banjo didn’t open any doors for Chief. A former second party character who was up for the taking due to being from a dead series. Like i said they lose a lot more if they put in Chief by advertising a rival system. Realistically speaking Chief should still be a long shot like he always has been
Just curious. Would you still keep the same opinion even after Halo Switch port becomes reality?

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Just curious. Would you still keep the same opinion even after Halo Switch port becomes reality?
A) we don’t know if it will become a reality and (B) no I would be obliged to to change it because it wouldn’t make much sense for me to keep it. I’d go as far to say if it were to happen he’d be at a 85-90% shot. It’d be foolish to keep the exact same opinion tbh

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
A) we don’t know if it will become a reality and (B) no I would be obliged to to change it because it wouldn’t make much sense for me to keep it. I’d go as far to say if it were to happen he’d be at a 85-90% shot. It’d be foolish to keep the exact same opinion tbh
So what do you think Halo Switch port would mean/represent?

Last edited:

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
Difference is though like I have pointed out several times is that Doom Guy isnt owned by a rival company. There are better ways of getting a larger fanbase than advertising a rival system. And why would he deny doom slayer just because he denied chief even though he did praise halo 2? That makes no sense tbh.
But Nintendo is most likely picking and its a long shot that Microsoft would offer chief instead of letting Nintendo ask and its even more of a long shot to think Nintendo would attempt to get Chief. Like I said there are much much better ways for Nintendo to get more money than if they were to try to get Chief and also not promote a rival system. Although Sakurai promoted it, it still wasn’t Nintendo.
Microsoft wouldn’t reach out to Nintendo tho that is the point. And like I said Nintendo wouldn’t go get Chief because there are better ways to get money than trying to advertise a rival system. Really Microsoft also have next gen this year so they’d probably rather focus on getting their own install base with their last resort being adding Chief to smash which most likely isn’t happening
My point is I am willing to bet Nintendo just got Banjo and didn’t bother because it would make more sense to get money through other means other than adding Chief into smash as it’d just be a lot more efficient to do something else
I think you've made your point, by now. No need to keep repeating how unlikely Chief is.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
I think you've made your point, by now. No need to keep repeating how unlikely Chief is.
I was only responding. Wasn’t doing it to be heard. If I just told them to look back at my previous posts it would be even more repetitive. Anyway why bring them up now when they are mostly a couple days old and after I just mentioned I suppose he could be possible if the chief collection gets ported. I suppose it all comes down to whether zell is right or not

Last edited:

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
I won't lie or kid myself. If MCC comes to Switch. I BET it's GG for Chief. At that point it'll change from "IF" to "WHEN".

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Well, let's see whether Halo announcement really happens during next Nintendo Direct like King Zell predicted.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
Well, let's see whether Halo announcement really happens during next Nintendo Direct like King Zell predicted.
Did Zell predict it would happen during the next Direct? Or just at some point? If Halo does get shown in the next one, that'd be good news for Chief.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
man H Herocin , you're almost as negative as Wynn.
If I came across as such I greatly apologise. But I hope you can at least somewhat see my standpoint. iirc wyn is negative towards things like Geno which I assumed was because he didn’t want him to happen or at least some of the reason he was negative about stuff like that while I’m being negative about Chief so I don’t get my hopes up and keep my expectations in check. The circumstances surrounding Chief are what made me view it as such. I don’t not want Chief in. I would love him in but the circumstances are what is making me try to stay realistic

ranmanon

Smash Cadet
Did Zell predict it would happen during the next Direct? Or just at some point? If Halo does get shown in the next one, that'd be good news for Chief.
He just said at some point, honestly something like Halo on Switch should be saved for E3, specially considering Microsoft wants Infinite (or Halo in general) to take the show.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
Wal-Mart's behavior continues to be weird.

Throwback to when they revealed Joker's render before Nintendo did :4pacman:

Also, why on Earth does Walmart have a dedicated gaming twitter? I mean, I know the answer is appealing to zoomers, but that's still weird nonetheless

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Somebody om Twitter said they don't see Microsoft letting Nintendo use Master Chief..

That's a stupid argument for numerous reasons. 1). He's basically the posterboy for the Xbox brand, why wouldn't MS want their posterboy in?

and 2). Microsoft would want him in to strengthen the Xbox brand in Japan.. which historically has been the market where the Xbox brand has flopped

Last edited:

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Some idiot said they don't see Microsoft letting Nintendo use Master Chief..

That's a stupid argument for numerous reasons. 1). He's basically the posterboy for the Xbox brand, why wouldn't MS want their posterboy in?

and 2). Microsoft would want him in to strengthen the Xbox brand in Japan.. which historically has been the market where the Xbox brand has flopped
I don’t really think the hostility is needed. It’s just a child’s fighting game after all and I do think you mean me. My main argument was that Nintendo wouldn’t bother getting Chief because there are better ways to gain more profit than they would if they included Chief and also without having to advertise a rival system. And I just noticed you used idiotic in your previous post too. You should understand where people are coming from when saying Chief isn’t happening or isn’t likely and that is due to the fact that he is the pure definition of a pipe dream. Moreso than Cloud. You shouldn’t use words like idiotic only to describe detractors to master Chief specifically because then it just looks like you are doing it because you want him in and nothing else

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I don’t really think the hostility is needed. It’s just a child’s fighting game after all and I do think you mean me. My main argument was that Nintendo wouldn’t bother getting Chief because there are better ways to gain more profit than they would if they included Chief and also without having to advertise a rival system. And I just noticed you used idiotic in your previous post too. You should understand where people are coming from when saying Chief isn’t happening or isn’t likely and that is due to the fact that he is the pure definition of a pipe dream. Moreso than Cloud. You shouldn’t use words like idiotic only to describe detractors to master Chief specifically because then it just looks like you are doing it because you want him in and nothing else
It wasn't you, it was somebody on Twitter who said MICROSOFT wouldn't want to use him

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
It wasn't you, it was somebody on Twitter who said MICROSOFT wouldn't want to use him
I know you were pointing out someone saying Microsoft wouldn’t let Nintendo use him. I only explained my reasoning because I thought you were claiming I was idiotic. But the point still stands. Name calling really shouldn’t be used in terms of smash spec. Calling someone’s argument something to such an extent, perhaps but only if it really doesn’t make sense.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Yeah let's not partake in the usual Smash toxicity with name calling and the like.
It's embarrassing, particularly when there's adults involved.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
The funny part is; I thought of that quote for if Xbox made its own Smash Bros style crossover game.
They gave away Banjo, and there is Killer Instinct that works as kinda like Xbox roster fighter. This is why I now rather support Chief's inclusion. They better go all in.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I'm coming from the Geno thread to offer my support to you guys. While Doomslayer's first game was certainly the main reason why the FPS genre exploded in popularity, Halo's got a significant legacy of its own and to ignore it would be foolish. That, and I imagine Microsoft would want to promote Master Chief in Smash with Infinite coming out later this year over Steve from Minecraft since the former has been basically their mascot for their game division for a long time now.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
BTW, is it possible that Sakurai received stuff from Halo Infinite to incorporate? Or does that only apply to Nintendo franchise?

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
BTW, is it possible that Sakurai received stuff from Halo Infinite to incorporate? Or does that only apply to Nintendo franchise?
If either Sakurai or 343 wanted it to happen, I don't see why not. Gamefreak gave Sakurai the design for Greninja before he was even officially revealed, after all.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
If either Sakurai or 343 wanted it to happen, I don't see why not. Gamefreak gave Sakurai the design for Greninja before he was even officially revealed, after all.
Well. Pokemon is Nintendo franchise, so that makes communication easier. Is there any other third party that allowed future content that might've spoiled their future games?

I also wonder whether 343i doesn't mind risking spoiling Halo Infinite content. I guess they would be fine if they reveal Halo Infinite gameplay on E3.

Last edited:

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Well. Pokemon is Nintendo franchise, so that makes communication easier. Is there any other third party that allowed future content that might've spoiled their future games?

I also wonder whether 343i doesn't mind risking spoiling Halo Infinite content. I guess they would be fine if they reveal Halo Infinite gameplay on E3.
Closest would be Metal Gear having stuff that alluded to MGS4 back in Brawl.

Top Bottom