• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I need a weapon" - Master Chief

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
I'm looking for something refreshing but of course Halo at its core. That doesn't exactly mean a return to form for me, as I actually enjoyed 4/5's multiplayer (I know, unpopular opinion at least in the case of 4) but I would be curious if they tried to take the core elements of the older games and polished them a bit with basic and un-intrusive innovations.
I could also see a few different playstyles all in one game as well. What I mean by that is in Halo 5 you'll have the occasional rotation of H3&ODST style modes which use older maps and/or mechanics. 343 might want to try some more things to 'reinvigorate' the gameplay of the franchise (with the new engine) that doesn't bore todays crowd but would likely make customization options or occasional modes for older fans to enjoy a more classic style of play.
Basically, I think we want about the same thing. Whatever we end up with, I'm expecting it'll be something we haven't quite seen before, likely with elements from the older games and Halo 5.
I am with you on that for Infinite. I think Halo 5 has one of the best multiplayers. Modern Halo in the best way. Sprinting included, but also punishable. Map Control is still key. I like that.

Also, the Ordinance Drops from 4 were interesting. I didn't particularly like them. But, going with the lore of the multiplayer and such, I really enjoyed it in that context. As for the older Halos? They were my first online games, like most people my age. Hope that we get that feel with modern Halo in Infinite.

As for percentage of Chief getting in? I've overhyped myself, honestly. But, it'll shoot through the roof if we hear something about the MCC coming to the Switch. Until then, very low from me, as much as I want it to be true.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
I am with you on that for Infinite. I think Halo 5 has one of the best multiplayers. Modern Halo in the best way. Sprinting included, but also punishable. Map Control is still key. I like that.

Also, the Ordinance Drops from 4 were interesting. I didn't particularly like them. But, going with the lore of the multiplayer and such, I really enjoyed it in that context. As for the older Halos? They were my first online games, like most people my age. Hope that we get that feel with modern Halo in Infinite.

As for percentage of Chief getting in? I've overhyped myself, honestly. But, it'll shoot through the roof if we hear something about the MCC coming to the Switch. Until then, very low from me, as much as I want it to be true.
Yeah, didn't care much for the Ordinance Drops but they were certainly interesting. I thought it was kinda fun to customize your loadout though and be able to switch after every death. Added a bit of variety to each match and allowed you to mix things up if the match wasn't going well for you. The paper-thinness of vehicles was tragic though!

I played the older games near their heydays as well but didn't really get into the multiplayer till Halo 3 which I certainly had my fun with. It was probably some of my first experience with multiplayer too, as I can't remember for sure haha. I ended up enjoying the Custom Games the most though and that was some of the most fun times I've had when it comes to 'multiplayer'. Thats one of the reasons I've been really happy with the inclusion of the Customs Browser into H5 and beyond. Hopefully more fun times to be had there.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Yeah, didn't care much for the Ordinance Drops but they were certainly interesting. I thought it was kinda fun to customize your loadout though and be able to switch after every death. Added a bit of variety to each match and allowed you to mix things up if the match wasn't going well for you. The paper-thinness of vehicles was tragic though!

I played the older games near their heydays as well but didn't really get into the multiplayer till Halo 3 which I certainly had my fun with. It was probably some of my first experience with multiplayer too, as I can't remember for sure haha. I ended up enjoying the Custom Games the most though and that was some of the most fun times I've had when it comes to 'multiplayer'. Thats one of the reasons I've been really happy with the inclusion of the Customs Browser into H5 and beyond. Hopefully more fun times to be had there.
I didn't play a ton of H4, but I did enjoy it. The Spartan-IVs are cool, and I like the way they have dove into them more. I mean, I love Spartan-IIs as much as the next, but I like the SIVs more than most.

H2 I played some online, but H3 was my real time sinker. Freshman in college and all. But regular multiplayer? Split Screen on H1, and LAN parties with H2. Best times, man. The best times. Funny enough, always had Smash 64/Melee going on nearby at all times.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I kinda forgot the ordinance drops were a thing. Never really felt a need for them outside the PvP scenarios.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Master Chief is 50/50

same goes with Steve he’s a 50/50

every character is 50/50

we can’t make one likely than the other
Tbh not really. Take Glover for instance. Does he realistically have a 50 shot. Nope. So no not really and once again i am getting these vibes about you thinking Steve hinders Chiefs chances then making him seem as likely or less likely than Chief again as you randomly pointed him out without any reason to. Not only that but it’s kinda ridiculous to suggest that otherwise there would be no point in speculating. If every character automatically had a 50 shot then there’s not much point in speculation

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
As for Chief being another zoner, the solution is forcing him to go more melee. Chief has to reload after using up ammos. His standard would be magnum and assault rifle. While reloading, he cannot block. His movement becomes slower. So, players have to be careful when to reload. Or he can reload faster by going melee. Hitting enemy with melee automatically reload weapons as well as recharge his shield. This is reference to Black Eye Skull. To make up for this, his ranged attacks should do more damage than other zoners and probably more knockback.

Another mechanic they should come up with is calling Halo weapons. Chief says "I need a weapon," and a weapon of player's choice (or a random weapon) drops into battlefield. Only the player who summoned it can wield. The weapons are more powerful than standard, but limited ammo. There is cooldown on this ability.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
Putting aside the Fire Emblem comments, Sakurai reiterates that Nintendo chose all the DLC characters. They chose everyone for season 1 and season 2 - he just decided if he could make them work. Thoughts on Chief's chances, with this in mind?

For one thing, Nintendo chose some obscure characters, like Joker and Terry, as well as an in-house pick in Byleth. Banjo may or may not have been difficult to negotiate for, and we can safely assume Hero was expensive for them... it might be that they went for some smaller characters to save on licensing costs. If that's true, I can't imagine Microsoft would let Chief go for Banjo prices... whatever those are.

On the other hand, Nintendo did go for Banjo, a Microsoft character in the first place. If they're willing to do that, they might see Chief as a viable business opportunity. However, I've also heard that Banjo only got in because Rare contacted Nintendo, not the other way around. That would hurt Chief's chances, if true.

Overall, I don't see him as too too likely, given the circumstances. Thus far, Banjo is the only third party character chosen specifically to appeal to Westerners... who's to say they'd do it again? Hopefully, Phil Spencer put in some work when he talked to Sakurai in 2018... networking or... something :/

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Putting aside the Fire Emblem comments, Sakurai reiterates that Nintendo chose all the DLC characters. They chose everyone for season 1 and season 2 - he just decided if he could make them work. Thoughts on Chief's chances, with this in mind?

For one thing, Nintendo chose some obscure characters, like Joker and Terry, as well as an in-house pick in Byleth. Banjo may or may not have been difficult to negotiate for, and we can safely assume Hero was expensive for them... it might be that they went for some smaller characters to save on licensing costs. If that's true, I can't imagine Microsoft would let Chief go for Banjo prices... whatever those are.

On the other hand, Nintendo did go for Banjo, a Microsoft character in the first place. If they're willing to do that, they might see Chief as a viable business opportunity. However, I've also heard that Banjo only got in because Rare contacted Nintendo, not the other way around. That would hurt Chief's chances, if true.

Overall, I don't see him as too too likely, given the circumstances. Thus far, Banjo is the only third party character chosen specifically to appeal to Westerners... who's to say they'd do it again? Hopefully, Phil Spencer put in some work when he talked to Sakurai in 2018... networking or... something :/
I don’t really know if what Sakurai says can be used as proof that Nintendo picked the DLC unless I’m missing something. As for Chiefs chances, I really don’t see him being chosen by Sakurai. I don’t really see Chief being chosen full stop. Chief isn’t the sort of character you are really meant to predict tbh. He’s a long shot who would cause tremors if he were to be revealed. You don’t get that same reaction by expecting him. But yeah I don’t really think Chief has much of a shot, although I’d still like him to happen

Lionfranky

Smash Lord

There is also case of Microsoft willingly publishing Cuphead on Switch. So, there is possibility that Microsoft is trying to approach Nintendo first. Sure, Chief would cost bigger licensing fee, but I don't think it will be worse than Cloud case. If Switch port rumor comes true, then it only confirms or at least enhance the possibility that Microsoft definitely asked Chief to be in Smash.

I don’t really know if what Sakurai says can be used as proof that Nintendo picked the DLC unless I’m missing something. As for Chiefs chances, I really don’t see him being chosen by Sakurai. I don’t really see Chief being chosen full stop. Chief isn’t the sort of character you are really meant to predict tbh. He’s a long shot who would cause tremors if he were to be revealed. You don’t get that same reaction by expecting him. But yeah I don’t really think Chief has much of a shot, although I’d still like him to happen
Sakurai praised Halo 2 along with Half Life 2, so there is that. If you think Sakurai won't pick Chief, he will surely deny Doom Slayer.

Last edited:

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
There is also case of Microsoft willingly publishing Cuphead on Switch. So, there is possibility that Microsoft is trying to approach Nintendo first. Sure, Chief would cost bigger licensing fee, but I don't think it will be worse than Cloud case. If Switch port rumor comes true, then it only confirms or at least enhance the possibility that Microsoft definitely asked Chief to be in Smash.

Sakurai praised Halo 2 along with Half Life 2, so there is that. If you think Sakurai won't pick Chief, he will surely deny Doom Slayer.
Difference is though like I have pointed out several times is that Doom Guy isnt owned by a rival company. There are better ways of getting a larger fanbase than advertising a rival system. And why would he deny doom slayer just because he denied chief even though he did praise halo 2? That makes no sense tbh.

Separate subject but it isn’t actually confirmed that Rare went to Nintendo first. I believe people are basing that assumption off of one of the first lines of the article. Although that MAY imply they did it is still much more probable that Nintendo approached them

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Difference is though like I have pointed out several times is that Doom Guy isnt owned by a rival company. There are better ways of getting a larger fanbase than advertising a rival system. And why would he deny doom slayer just because he denied chief even though he did praise halo 2? That makes no sense tbh.

Separate subject but it isn’t actually confirmed that Rare went to Nintendo first. I believe people are basing that assumption off of one of the first lines of the article. Although that MAY imply they did it is still much more probable that Nintendo approached them
I was arguing soley from Sakurai factor. If we go by evidence we have, Sakurai would pick Master Chief over Doom Slayer. He even promoted Xbox during Banjo presentation.

Nintendo and Microsoft aren't clear cut rivals anymore. That's why Microsoft allowed Ori and Cuphead on Switch in the first place. Since Nintendo owes Microsoft favor, why not give something in return? And this deal can be mutually beneficial to both parties.

Nintendo approached Microsoft for Banjo. But if Microsoft also offered Master Chief on top of that, would Nintendo really say no? The official Halo tweet can be interpreted as Microsoft's stance. Sure, it's just a man running social media account, but he should still get information and approval from higher up.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
I was arguing soley from Sakurai factor. If we go by evidence we have, Sakurai would pick Master Chief over Doom Slayer. He even promoted Xbox during Banjo presentation.

Nintendo and Microsoft aren't clear cut rivals anymore. That's why Microsoft allowed Ori and Cuphead on Switch in the first place. Since Nintendo owes Microsoft favor, why not give something in return? And this deal can be mutually beneficial to both parties.

Nintendo approached Microsoft for Banjo. But if Microsoft also offered Master Chief on top of that, would Nintendo really say no? The official Halo tweet can be interpreted as Microsoft's stance. Sure, it's just a man running social media account, but he should still get information and approval from higher up.
But Nintendo is most likely picking and its a long shot that Microsoft would offer chief instead of letting Nintendo ask and its even more of a long shot to think Nintendo would attempt to get Chief. Like I said there are much much better ways for Nintendo to get more money than if they were to try to get Chief and also not promote a rival system. Although Sakurai promoted it, it still wasn’t Nintendo.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Because Chief is now my most wanted I decided to make a moveset so here you go. (Sorry if percents aren’t perfect)

Master Chief

Character Type: (Resource Management/Heavy Zoner/Hard to Kill/Lots of Kill moves)

Strengths: Hard to kill, has great recovery options, has a lot of early kill options, has great long to mid range zoning, high shield damage, basically two sets of normal.

Weaknesses: Slow Movement, gets Juggled a lot, can struggle up close, combo game is bad, has utilize resource management.

Aerial Movement: Poor

Combo Game: Bad

Weight: A little heavier than Ganon

Run speed is average level (around samus speed)

Walk speed slow

Jump height is below average

Throw/Run throw range is bad

Unique Mechanics:

Ammo
Every weapon has an ammo count visible to the top left of the percentage area of the last weapon used. Ammo that auto recharges (grenades/bubble shield) will always be beside percentage under the normal ammo count. (All ammo replenished upon respawn of a stock)

Reload
Similar to Inkling by holding shield and B at the same time chief will reload the last weapon he has used animation can’t be canceled but you can walk around if on the ground or jump (different weapons have different animations with different reload times)

(Reloads from least time to reload to most time
Assault Rifle
Pistol
Battle Rifle
Spikers Dual wield
Needler
Scattershot
Shotgun
Sniper
SAW
Rocket Launcher)

Shield

Above the percentage will be a shield gauge that will deplete the more damage chief takes in quick succession (the shield begins to recharge to full after not being hit by anything for 5 second’s) while shielded every time chief is damaged 2% off of the percentage received is knocked off (knockback is unaffected), the full shield depletes after receiving a total of 20% damage (before the 2% drop). To indicate his shield is depleted Chief will begin to have yellow sparks and have the alarm sound play like the Halo games until it refills making the refill sound of course. (Shield returns to full upon respawn of a stock)

B: Grenade/Sticky Grenade

By tapping B he overhand tosses a normal frag grenade in an ark that goes about the distance of snakes being thrown (this cannot be cooked or thrown at different angle’s like snakes grenade), it will bounce on surfaces until its timer runs out (which is shorter than the time it takes for snakes to explode) and will release a strong kill explosion and good shield damage (damage 15-20% depending on how close you are to the center) with better range than snakes grenade (kills at 100% midscreen) (will explode when attacked) (these grenades cannot be caught or picked up) (explosion can hit chief) (The ammo pull for Frag Grenades is 2, unlike normal weapons grenades will refill their ammo after depleted after a bit of time making the grenade pickup noise for when it is refilled to indicate it (regenerates in 15 sec) ).

Holding B chief will throw out a sticky grenade instead in the same arc but the grenade will not travel as fast in the air and won’t go as far, once it hits a grounded surface it will very mildly bounce once till its timer runs out, (its timer is slightly longer than the frag grenade and its explosion range is less (which is comparable to snakes)) the kill power is weaker on the outside of the explosion only potentially killing at (120-130 midscreen but the center is just as deadly damage/kill wise as the frag grenade) if it comes into contact with a player while the grenade is airborne it will stick to them till it explodes. (does the same strong shield damage as a frag at the center of the explosion) (ammo pull is 2 just like the frag grenades, they also refill their ammo in the same way as the frag version (regenerates in 15 secs))

B Up: Jetpack

Acts basically the same as R.O.B’s up b but does have a little less fuel, there is a fuel reticle bar that will
be by your percentage like the ammo when hitting b up. Refills fuel once you touch the ground.

B Over: Warthog

Similar to Wario with his bike Master Chief will pull out a warthog and be driving in it, its startup is twice as slow as wario’s bike though. (Takes longer to pickup speed and doesn’t move as fast across the screen when compared to wario’s bike) When done on the ground it will act like a normal vehicle that can be controlled by driving forward and can turn to go the other way just like wario’s bike does but all of these processes are half the speed of Wario’s bike. Unlike Wario’s bike when Master Chief gets out of the vehicle (characters get out by jumping like wario) another player can ride and drive the warthog by holding A while being right next to the front of the warthog if a character tries this while a character is in the seat they will enter the passenger seat which is completely useless except for forcing Chief to have to get out of the wart hog if he wants to damage you. If you hold A right next to the back of the warthog then you will enter the warthogs turret seat (chief or any other character can do this) where you can aim up or down or go left or right (in case you want to shoot the character who is driving) theses bullets from the turret have 0 knockback (similar to bowser tough guying through) and only deal 1% per bullet but they can rack up damage quickly (there is a heat gauge that will appear near master chief’s percentage to indicate how close the turret is to overheating) (the turret takes a second to startup its shooting) (overheating causes it to jam and be unusable for 5 seconds or so) (ammo is infinite though like the games). The warthog is a bit bigger than warios in terms of how wide it is. The reason for how slow its movement is lies in its power, warthog can kill at 100-120 % midscreen with a direct frontal hit and a direct frontal hit will take 30% damage off a player, 70% of a shield. When turning with a warthog to turn around the back of warthog will gain a hitbox from it sliding to turn around this is not a bad kill move either, it can kill around 135%, doing 20% and 50 shield damage. Getting hit by the upper hitbox of a warthog can do 10%-15% depending on the speed of the warthog but wont kill till a much higher percentage. When this is done in air the warthog goes forward and up in a small arc similar to it going off a ramp and will plummet at a similar rate to wario’s bike does in air, the properties of the damage/kill area’s are the same as the grounded versions. The jump that occur’s when leaving your vehicle doesn’t could against your jump count just like wario’s. As for durability the warthog has twice the durability of wario’s bike and will progressively become more and more inflamed to indicate its damage just like the halo games. When its durability has hit its limit it will explode with an explosion that can kill at 100% which consumes its entire hitbox (if someone is actually in the vehicle they will probably lose a stock regardless of percentage), just like wario chief cannot immediately summon another wart hog after its destroyed the wait time for another warthog though is twice that of wario’s however due to the warthog’s shear power. To hit the driver out of the warthog since they are very protected from the front and back usually you will have to hit them above if you do so the player will pop out of the seat.

B Down: Bubble Shield

Chief throws out a bubble shield right in front of him, once the bubble shield expands (which is fairly fast) a small bubble that’s about the width of two donkey kongs will expand. This bubble causes no damage (however if you are hit by the actual device in the center it does like 5% with a little knockback). The bubble can be walked through and attacked through but 0 projectiles can penetrate the inside or outside of the bubble. (A great utility with this is to stand in a way where your hitbox is hidden by the bubble shield but your projectile attack is happening on the outside edge). One attack to the center piece that projects the shield will destroy it, the shield destroys itself after 15 sec’s. After use you will have to wait until your equipment auto refill’s indicated by the symbol by your grenades/percentage being lightened up or not (the auto refill time is 30 sec’s) (bounceable projectiles will bounce off the bubble shield like a wall)

Normals:

Jab: Assault Rifle

Just tapping A will fire just a small quick 4 bullet spurt of of AR bullets, each bullet only deals 1% and deals knockback comparable to Megamans lemons, by holding A the assault rifle will keep quick firing until the clip depletes or you let go. While holding A you can move forward or back and even jump, the spread distance is also comparable to Megamans lemon distance. When hitting A without any ammo Chief will automatically do a melee attack with not a lot of range with the AR (has solid knockback though and safe on shield, can kill at late percents 160). Shield damage is relatively weak. (Ammo total 30 bullets)

Dash Attack: Spartan Charge

Chief will do a very fast good priority burst attack with shoulder using a boost from his thrusters on his armor. On block it isn’t super safe but it isn’t terribly unsafe either (does 20% shield damage). It does 15% damage on hit and kills around 130%.

Forward Tilt: Pistol

Just tapping forward tilt will have chief fire a single pistol shot that is shot straight at a little under his head height, the distance the bullet travels half of final destination with pretty quick speed. Damage is 5% for a body shot and 10% for a head shot, its knockback is ok but it won’t kill until around 150% body (135% headshot) unless you hit opponents near a ledge. If you keep inputting A directly after inputting the forward tilt you will continue to shoot out pistol shots, if you hold forward from the initial forward tilt Chief will begin to walk forward and shoot if you keep pressing A. If you have no ammo chief performs a pistol whip (similar to the AR melee attack but having slightly more range, better knockback and kills earlier 140% but is less safe on shield). Shield damage is a little better than AR but not by much (Ammo total is 6 bullets.)

Up Tilt: Battle Rifle

Just tapping up tilt will have chief fire a very fast tiny BR shot that consists of 3 bullets in an high upper diagonal direction in the way chief is facing, each bullet does 3% for each body shot 6% for each head shot little knockback but if all 3 bullets hit the head the knock back is pretty significant can kill very early depending on how close your opponent is to the top of a stage. If you continue to input A after the initial up tilt you will keep firing 3 bullet sets, while continually inputting A you can input left or right to slightly walk in those directions while shooting which will change your shot spread depending on how your moving while shooting. If you have no ammo chief swing his BR above him like a normal up tilt, the knock back is very average but the range isn’t terrible, it can even kill around 150%. (Ammo total is 12 (4 shots))

Down Tilt: Sniper Rifle

Chief lays down in prone position with his stomach to the ground and relatively quickly (comparable to other down tilts startups) shoots a very fast sniper bullet that travels straight and full screen very close to the ground (this move is a very strong ledge trap/kill option). A bullet on a body hit does 20% with killing power at 110%, if you somehow land a headshot it does 35% and can kill at 80%. By pressing A immediately after the first shot you will fire a second shot in relatively quick succession (although most other guns fire faster when using the mash A mechanic). The bullet does 30% shield damage but up close is pretty minus on block. If you have no ammo with the sniper you will perform an average dtilt startup pretty long range swipe with your sniper in the prone position that is punishable up close (safe at the tip range) but on hit pops the opponent up on hit. (one of chiefs only potential combo moves at certain percent’s, dtilt into up tilt can combo) (Ammo total is 2 bullets)

Forward Smash: Energy Sword

Chief pulls out a swiping energy sword that has great forward and up hitbox range due to him swiping forward to up. It is punishable by a quick smash up close and can be made safe on block if at the further ranges. Although it isn’t the fastest smash attack (comparable to sonic or wario’s fsmash speed) it can kill pretty early on hit it does a nasty 25% uncharged and can kill around 100%. Charging this forward smash will cause chief to slide forward quickly before slashing (similar to being locked onto someone in the Halo games with the red reticle) the distance he goes is determined by how long its charged (can slide up to a little over wolf’s brawl f smash range). Shield damage done with a slash is around 50%. When the energy sword runs out of energy chiefs f smash changes to a forward punch move similar to wolfs current f smash in animation and function, the startup speed is better being more comparable to mario’s f smash in terms of speed although its range is slightly worse than wolf’s forward smash so you have to be pretty close to make good use of it as a punish option. It is however completely safe on block so using two in a row after one is shielded wouldn’t be unheard of, it does only 15% on hit though and can kill around 125-130% when compared to the sword. Shield damage is only 15%. (Ammo total 5 swipes (20% energy used per swipe) cannot be reloaded)

Up Smash: Spartan Laser

With no charge Chief will shoot (not like a projectile shot out but more of a projectile extension like the halo games) a very short laser that discharges from the weapon directly above him(only has a vertical hitbox so people around chief on the ground wont get hit), it hits higher than most up smash’s and has a little above average speed (although the beam comes out very fast), but only average damage (20%) and knockback (kills at 150%) for an upsmash. However if charged the distance of the beam extension will increase (up to a little more than palutena’s reach on top of chiefs height at max charge) at max charge it will kill very early at 60% or lower depending on high they are hit from as well. When the Laser is out of shots chief will lunge his Spartan laser in animation and attack coverage similar to D3’s up smash with similar power/startup with a bit less range, damage is 25% and the knockback kills at 125-130%. (Ammo total 5 laser charges (20% energy per shot) cannot be reloaded.)

Down Smash: Rocket Launcher

Chief pulls out a rocket and will shoot a large rocket shell moving at a medium speed forward that goes about a third of the distance of final destination than explodes (or will explode on contact with a character/wall/shield, it will eat through most projectiles) (it has the slowest startup of all of his smash attacks). It does 35 damage on hit and does 70% shield damage, it kills at 80%. Charging it can increase the distance/speed it travels before exploding, full charge can have a rocket go up to 80% of FD, a fully charged Rocket will shield break. When the rocket is out of ammo chief will do a relatively slow startup (compared to average down smashes) spin with the rocket that hits both sides of chief (similar to most down smash’s) this move can kill around 140-150% and does 20% on hit (20% shield damage). (Ammo is 2 shells)

Neutral Air: Plasma Pistol

Upon tapping chief will quickly fire a plasma shot that goes about a little less than the distance of a pistol shot on hit it does 3% and has 0 knockback or stun and 1% shield damage. Similar to the pistol you can immediately keep pressing A to keep firing rapid plasma shots (very little landing lag). Similar to the AR you can hold A, when you hold A you will begin to charge the plasma pistol after charging for a second you can release it to send out a slower moving plasma blast that will home towards the opponents location (of when its initially shot) if you are facing the opponent, otherwise if fires straight. This charge shot has very little lag as its meant for follow up, on hit it does 25% with 0 knockback and it will break a shields. If you are still holding the charge when you land you can move left or right to walk on the ground or jump with it before letting it go (the longest you can hold it is 3 seconds after its fully charged). If you are out of plasma chief will swing the plasma pistol all around himself in a circle, its coverage is very similar to villagers in terms of range and knockback/damage (does 8% and wont kill till like 190% (initial knockback is good though to get opponents off you)). Although unlike villager, chiefs hurtbox is bigger than the attacks hitbox so its not useful to escape being juggled, however it’s a great out of shield option for defense or punishing moves that ammoless AR cant reach that are only slightly unsafe, it is chiefs second fastest attack (only ammoless AR jab is faster) and its safe on block landing lag wise with little recovery on whiff as well. (Ammo is 30 plama shots (charge shots will spend 10 after being shot, holding after full charge spends 5 shots per second holding (if you run out of shots to hold it will auto shoot)) cannot be reloaded.)

Forward Air: Shotgun

Chief pulls out the shotty and shots at a down/forward diagonal angle (slightly more down than forward) that pops him up a little from the recoil. Up close it can do 5-25 damage (depends how much of the buckshot hits them), can kill if hit up close near 110-120 and it will knock the foe down forward in a spike fashion if the opponent is hit close enough. The attack is spread out like a cone from the head of the shot gun that reaches in equivalent to about of 2 marth forward air’s distance but diagonally downward. The move is safe on shield and can do up to 70% shield damage (depending on how much is blocked) so don’t shield this for long. When the shotgun is out of ammo it becomes a very short ranged (slightly more range than the ammoless ftilt) that kills around 150-160 and does 10%, its strength lies in it’s 0 landing lag and is actually plus on shield when landing giving chief room to mixup opponents on defense if you can get them to shield this. (Ammo count is 4 buckshot shells).

Back Air: Dual Wielded Spikers

With a bit of startup (comparable to k rools back air (melee attack box hits faster)) Chief turns around pulling out 2 spikers and begins to fire 5 spikes out of each of them at a down/forward angle (more forward than the shotgun angle with twice the range) (the spread is affected by your movement in air) the spikes have about twice the stun than the AR has but they act very similar in the sense that the spikes don’t knock the opponent away while they are being peppered (except at the end of the peppering they are knocked back some with this move) each spike hit does 2% damage (its rare to connect them all due to spread) spike shots wont kill until around 180% (could be earlier with edgeguarding). There is an initial hit box if you do them extreme close to an opponent that does 15% and can kill around 120% but if they are hit by this due to knockback they will probably not be hit by the spike shots. This move does minimal shield damage (at least with the spikes similar to AR, but 20% with the initial hit box) and has a ton of landing lag so its very punishable on shield. When your spikers are out of ammo chief will in a faster fashion swing the spikers behind him with a more active hitbox that has a bit more vertical and horizontal range in a curve up like motion, this move is safe on shield when spaced (does 30% shield damage), does 18% damage on hit and kills around 120%. (Ammo count is 50 (25 per spiker) so 5 back airs)

Up Air: Scattershot

Chief pulls out the scattershot and pretty quickly shoots up sending a spray of promethean energy shot upward, this will push chief slightly down from recoil. The shot is in a cone shape similar to the shotgun spread although not quite as far reaching, its about a forth less in terms of distance above him. It does good damage depending on how much of the move hits 8-30% but in terms of kill power it is less than the normal shotgun 130-140 (unless they are high up when hit). The scattershot spray will bounce off of platforms (the bounce can extend its range by another half of itself) and the way it will bounce changes on the angle hit (be wary of the distance and shooting it at a flat platform above you because you can hit yourself potentially so be careful in a bubble shield). If you have no ammo then chief up air becomes extremely similar to clouds up air except it has slightly less horizontal coverage and a little less knockback in comparison but its utility is virtually the same (good at keeping foes juggles above instead of landing) it does 10% but can potentially kill at 140% (or earlier depending on height hit). (Ammo count is 5 scattershots)

Down Air: Ground Pound

This move has a bit of startup where chief will float with thrusters for a brief second before quickly diving diagonally down towards the ground. This move does 30% on hit (due to its slow nature), can kill at 100% and breaks shields, (has a lot of landing lag on whiff). Its comparable to sonics in terms of distance wise it will go if it does hit the ground before you can act again (in case you go for it offstage).

Throws

Pummel: Chief gut punches his foes over and over (2 percent each)

Forward Throw: Dual Plasma Rifles

This throw has the best forward positioning knockback, chief throws the foe in front of him then begins to blast the foe with plasma from the rifles until they overheat the shots push the opponent very diagonally forward/upward (but will never kill since the knockback is set), this puts the opponent far away from chief giving him a great zoning and positional advantage, its also the second most damaging throw. Damage is 18%. Without ammo chief will just throw the opponent forward overhead that will put them an average range away from them as most forward throws do, damage is 12%. (Ammo is 100 (each throw uses 20 shots (10 for each rifle)) cannot be reloaded.)

Back Throw: Needler

This is the kill throw, chief throws the opponent backwards then begins to shoot them with a ton of needler bullets until they explode, kills midscreen at 130% and does 15%. If the needler is out of spikes then chief will wack the opponent with it knocking them backwards, the initial knockback is similar but it wont kill until 200% (damage is 12%). (Ammo size is 30 spikes (10 are used per throw))

Up Throw: Sentinel Beam

This throw has the best upward positioning knockback, chief tosses his opponents upward and then begins to shoot them upward with the sentinel beam. This puts the opponent very high above you on the top of the screen (the knockback is fixed so it wont kill) the damage is 16%. If you are out of ammo chief will very quickly just toss the opponent upward to about half of the distance of the sentinel beam knockback distance. (Ammo size 20% of energy used per throw (5 throws till empty) cannot be reloaded)

Down Throw: SAW

The damage throw, chief stomps them to the ground holding them and then unleashes a ton of SAW bullets into them before they bounce away in front of chief (not to far which can be bad if you aren’t careful). Damage is 25%, knockback is always set. If your out of Ammo chief will stomp the opponent down making them slightly bounce then punch them up that will send them slightly up and in front of you but not far away due to set knockback (slightly worse positioning but you have options still) Damage is 18%. (Ammo is 30 (10 bullets per throw)

Final Smash: Finish the Fight

Chief shoots them with a bunch of different weapons in a row then kicks them away then pushes the bomb from halo 2 he delivers back to the covenant which explodes ending the opponent

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion

There have been rumors about a master chief collection for a little bit.. easily could tie in with that.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
There have been rumors about a master chief collection for a little bit.. easily could tie in with that.
Yeah, that would probably increase his odds. Hopefully that does pan out :p

Chief Moveset
Dang, that's a whole, complete thing, isn't it? We talked about some potential moveset ideas for Chief a few pages back - might be fun to go more in-depth about it. For now, I'll shamelessly repost my earlier thoughts:

I think it would be cool if Chief has the Magnum, by default. Like Joker's Gun™, it would do more damage/hitstun the closer Chief is to his opponent. However, he would be able to cancel gunshots into melee attacks, like in the Halo games. So at close enough range, he could confirm Magnum shots into his normals, creating cool openings and combo extensions. This would also encourage him to use his gun aggressively, rather than camp out his opponent with it.

My other idea is that his down+b would be allow him to switch weapons. I think it would make the most sense if he had two weapons, like in all the games. One would be the Magnum, as I explained, and the other would be the Energy Sword. His melee attacks, like in Halo, would mostly consist of hitting people with his weapons; the kicker is that the Magnum is faster and has better combo-potential, while the sword has more range and damage.

I think a weapon-switching mechanic that affects his normals would reflect how Halo gives you two weapons to cover different situations. Also, it would give him a cool moveset-changing mechanic like Vega in Street Fighter 5.

inb4 they put chief in but he's belmont 2.0

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Yeah, that would probably increase his odds. Hopefully that does pan out :p

Dang, that's a whole, complete thing, isn't it? We talked about some potential moveset ideas for Chief a few pages back - might be fun to go more in-depth about it. For now, I'll shamelessly repost my earlier thoughts:
Yeah it took me a few days in down time at work lol, been wanting to do one for awhile.

I tried to represent all of the halo games and the most iconic weapons.

Last edited:

Xwing Infinity

Smash Rookie
Since this thread seems to have lit up today focusing on Master Chief’s chances and Microsoft and Nintendo’s growing relationship, I’ll take the chance to post my updated Conspiracy Collage (tm). Cleaner, cooler, more information.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
Since this thread seems to have lit up today focusing on Master Chief’s chances and Microsoft and Nintendo’s growing relationship, I’ll take the chance to post my updated Conspiracy Collage (tm). Cleaner, cooler, more information.

I gotta ask, since I've seen a couple versions of your collage, so far... what's the inspiration for the bottom left image??

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
But Nintendo is most likely picking and its a long shot that Microsoft would offer chief instead of letting Nintendo ask and its even more of a long shot to think Nintendo would attempt to get Chief. Like I said there are much much better ways for Nintendo to get more money than if they were to try to get Chief and also not promote a rival system. Although Sakurai promoted it, it still wasn’t Nintendo.
Even though he said in light hearted manner, he still has to discuss matter with Nintendo. Hideo begged Sakurai to put Snake into Smash, not the other way around. So there is precedent that the third party asking Nintendo first. Even ID Software/Bethsda asked Nintendo. Sure Hideo and Sakurai are friends, but relationship between Nintendo and Microsoft got better as well. Microsoft has given Minecraft, Ori, Cuphead, etc. Why does Nintendo have to be stingy when Microsoft provided so much more? It's time for Nintendo to give back favor.

Last edited:

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Even though he said in light hearted manner, he still has to discuss matter with Nintendo. Hideo begged Sakurai to put Snake into Smash, not the other way around. So there is precedent that the third party asking Nintendo first. Sure Hideo and Sakurai are friends, but relationship between Nintendo and Microsoft got better as well. Microsoft has given Minecraft, Ori, Cuphead, etc. Why does Nintendo have to be stingy when Microsoft provided so much more? It's time for Nintendo to give back favor.
Microsoft wouldn’t reach out to Nintendo tho that is the point. Kojima asked Sakurai to put in Snake he didn’t ask an actual company. Sakurai was just the director of Smash at the time. If they were to ask someone it would be Nintendo which they wouldn’t do. And like I said Nintendo wouldn’t go get Chief because there are better ways to get money than trying to advertise a rival system. And Nintendo doesn’t need to return any favour. It was entirely Microsoft who ported the games on switch it had nothing to do with Nintendo asking for a favour so they don’t need to return anything. Anyway people are acting like Microsoft would absolutely let Chief appear in smash despite the fact it isn’t confirmed and use Banjo, a dead former exclusive as an example for why they’d let Chief appear when that isn’t valid proof at all. Really Microsoft also have next gen this year so they’d probably rather focus on getting their own install base with their last resort being adding Chief to smash which most likely isn’t happening

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
If Chief is getting in, it would 99% be because of Phil Spencer. Either Sakurai or someone at Nintendo would have reached out to him (unlikely), or he reached out to Sakurai or Nintendo, or mentioned Chief during his earlier meeting with Sakurai (more likely). Phil would probably have to have taken the initiative on it, although that isn't too unreasonable; many have already noted how willing Microsoft is to share their IP with Nintendo, and I imagine Phil of all people wouldn't be too stingy with the opportunity to put Xbox's unofficial mascot in the premiere crossover game; and, while this may be more speculative, I really, really can't imagine Phil Spencer scheduling that meeting with Sakurai and only talking about Banjo. However small, there had to have been some mention of Chief, if only a casual "hey, maybe consider our other guy if you wanna do more DLC?" Like, I won't act as if Master Chief is suddenly likely for Smash, but I do think that Microsoft is most likely happy to have him in, and Sakurai/Nintendo have most likely at least considered the possibility.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Negotiations aren't always smooth. It's been rumored that internal politics at Capcom are what prevented us from getting a Resident Evil character, for example.

Also, expecting third-party characters with only a single game for a legacy, not gonna happen. At least two games or so can potentially get you in.

I still feel that the ballot results will continue to make an occasional influence on some of the next DLC picks. If enough Chief fans spoke loud and clear, something will happen. Maybe later rather than sooner, it's impossible to tell at this stage. Microsoft aren't out of options yet.

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Negotiations aren't always smooth. It's been rumored that internal politics at Capcom are what prevented us from getting a Resident Evil character, for example.

Also, expecting third-party characters with only a single game for a legacy, not gonna happen. At least two games or so can potentially get you in.

I still feel that the ballot results will continue to make an occasional influence on some of the next DLC picks. If enough Chief fans spoke loud and clear, something will happen. Maybe later rather than sooner, it's impossible to tell at this stage. Microsoft aren't out of options yet.
You realize what this means for Chiefs chances though, right?

Nearly every single argument against him has been completely obliterated now (Lack of Nintendo history, FPS, Western, ect). Because this now shows that Nintendo is interested in getting him in the game.

If he doesn’t get in now, it would have to be on Microsofts front. And we saw how willing they are to cooperate with Banjo, so that scenario is tough to imagine imo.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
You realize what this means for Chiefs chances though, right?

Nearly every single argument against him has been completely obliterated now (Lack of Nintendo history, FPS, Western, ect). Because this now shows that Nintendo is interested in getting him in the game.

If he doesn’t get in now, it would have to be on Microsofts front. And we saw how willing they are to cooperate with Banjo, so that scenario is tough to imagine imo.
Indeed, they and Ninty are practically bedfellows now. The only things that'll slow him down at this point is if they let another character of theirs in first (which they don't have much notable ones left), or another pass comes outta nowhere and he gets saved for that. Space is looking clear.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I've always honestly considered Master Chief having a decent shot since Banjo's inclusion and the relationship between Nintendo and Microsoft especially given their crossplay I think if anything given that interview Chief's chances has shot up and I'm really hoping he gets in because he's among my most wanted now that Doom Slayer is deconfirmed and Chief's an good replacement.

Plus his legacy, mascot and Mario of XBox/Microsoft and iconness he more then earns a spot.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Microsoft wouldn’t reach out to Nintendo tho that is the point. Kojima asked Sakurai to put in Snake he didn’t ask an actual company. Sakurai was just the director of Smash at the time. If they were to ask someone it would be Nintendo which they wouldn’t do. And like I said Nintendo wouldn’t go get Chief because there are better ways to get money than trying to advertise a rival system. And Nintendo doesn’t need to return any favour. It was entirely Microsoft who ported the games on switch it had nothing to do with Nintendo asking for a favour so they don’t need to return anything. Anyway people are acting like Microsoft would absolutely let Chief appear in smash despite the fact it isn’t confirmed and use Banjo, a dead former exclusive as an example for why they’d let Chief appear when that isn’t valid proof at all. Really Microsoft also have next gen this year so they’d probably rather focus on getting their own install base with their last resort being adding Chief to smash which most likely isn’t happening
The whole point of Banjo is that... Master Chief must have popped up during discussion about Banjo.

"So, you came to us for Banjo... how about Master Chief as well?"
"Really? Um... maybe..."

Something like this must have happened. Halo Infinite and next Xbox would rather good reason to put Chief in Smash. All 343i and Microsoft have to do is send assets. And probably contact Marty for music. Most of job will be done by Nintendo.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
The whole point of Banjo is that... Master Chief must have popped up during discussion about Banjo.

"So, you came to us for Banjo... how about Master Chief as well?"
"Really? Um... maybe..."

Something like this must have happened. Halo Infinite and next Xbox would rather good reason to put Chief in Smash. All 343i and Microsoft have to do is send assets. And probably contact Marty for music. Most of job will be done by Nintendo.
My point is I am willing to bet Nintendo just got Banjo and didn’t bother because it would make more sense to get money through other means other than adding Chief into smash as it’d just be a lot more efficient to do something else

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
My point is I am willing to bet Nintendo just got Banjo and didn’t bother because it would make more sense to get money through other means other than adding Chief into smash as it’d just be a lot more efficient to do something else
If you mean it's inefficient due to licensing... then eh, maybe? Like Chief is really recognizable, so they could justify a high cost that Nintendo might want to avoid. On the other hand, I can see current-day Microsoft giving him over for a reasonable price, bc they have a good relationship w/ Nintendo and would probs want the huge Smash audience to have Halo on their mind--especially with the mysterious "spiritual reboot" coming out this year.

If you meant something else, than I am a big dumb dumb

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
I still think adding Master Chief would be returning the favor of Microsoft and Phil Spencer letting Sakurai/Nintendo use Banjo.

"We let you use Banjo under one condition. You also add Master Chief".

Given Doom Slayer's out of the running. Chief's among my current most wants for this game now. I'd be happy for inclusion as he'd more then earn it given his legacy and iconness along with being the Mario of Microsoft and to see Mario and him fight and in the same game would be amazing to see.

Last edited:

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
If you mean it's inefficient due to licensing... then eh, maybe? Like Chief is really recognizable, so they could justify a high cost that Nintendo might want to avoid. On the other hand, I can see current-day Microsoft giving him over for a reasonable price, bc they have a good relationship w/ Nintendo and would probs want the huge Smash audience to have Halo on their mind--especially with the mysterious "spiritual reboot" coming out this year.

I suppose it depends. But it doesn’t seem likely Nintendo is going to get Chief and Microsoft would probably prefer to at least try to strengthen their bond a bit more. I don’t really think Chief is supposed to be a character who is to be viewed as likely. The entire purpose of Chief is he is so much of a long shot that If he was in he’d cause waves but if you have a ton of people who expected it then it’d get rid of most of the appeal it once had

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I suppose it depends. But it doesn’t seem likely Nintendo is going to get Chief and Microsoft would probably prefer to at least try to strengthen their bond a bit more. I don’t really think Chief is supposed to be a character who is to be viewed as likely. The entire purpose of Chief is he is so much of a long shot that If he was in he’d cause waves but if you have a ton of people who expected it then it’d get rid of most of the appeal it once had
He is still seen as a long shot. And the last barrier to break. It's just that people switched to different kind of barrier.

And if people expect Master Chief, isn't that rather good reason to add? That's sign that there is market... demand.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Well, this view isn't entirely baseless.

Sakurai had once said that he makes it a point that he sees third-parties getting on Nintendo consoles as a courtesy, to the point that he even counts cameos in games released on Nintendo hardware (citing Cloud's appearance in Theaterhythm).

I figure that this rule still stands, as otherwise including those types of characters would be made much more complicated in regards to negotiation. This is why you don't expect a first-party Sony character like Kratos, for instance.

If the cancelled Halo DS spin-off did get released we wouldn't be in this current situation. All we got right now is King Zell casually dropping the series name.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
He is still seen as a long shot. And the last barrier to break. It's just that people switched to different kind of barrier.

And if people expect Master Chief, isn't that rather good reason to add? That's sign that there is market... demand.
No he isn’t because there are people saying Chief is more likely than Doom Slayer and the like when he isn’t due to the circumstances he is in and tbh Chief wasn’t popular when he needed to be popular aka during the ballot so Nintendo aren’t going to base the requests off of tweets and the like so he wouldn’t be added due to fan demand or for people expecting him

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Saw this on Twitter not so long ago:
https://mynintendonews.com/2020/02/...r-chief-as-next-big-smash-ultimate-character/
Yeah, I'm aware of the "Sora was gonna be in the game but Disney didn't allow it" thing but apparently the same guy that said that in this podcast is now claiming that he expect either Sora or Master Chief.
Doesn’t really mean anything. What he was doing would be like me saying I expect Sora and Chief. He was most likely just speculating. And sora was probably not deconfirmed. He said he expects either Sora or Chief and then he goes onto say Disney Japan specifically which probably means everything he said is speculation

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
No he isn’t because there are people saying Chief is more likely than Doom Slayer and the like when he isn’t due to the circumstances he is in and tbh Chief wasn’t popular when he needed to be popular aka during the ballot so Nintendo aren’t going to base the requests off of tweets and the like so he wouldn’t be added due to fan demand or for people expecting him
So what are you saying? Master Chief wouldn't be added because he is already expected? Or he will be added he would be internet breaking?

At this point, we are all speculating. Both sides have good points. But, if King Zell's rumor comes true, then, it only confirms that Microsoft definitely approached Nintendo for Chief in Smash.

Top Bottom