• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I need a weapon" - Master Chief

ranmanon

Smash Cadet
You have to remember that Microsoft is pushing Halo back on track really hard trying to get the public's attention and be as popular as it was during the Bungie era.
MCC on PC is gonna get the other Halo games in the future, Infinite is also coming this year with strong emphasis on Master Chief himself and taking the franchise back to its roots after the negative reception of 5 Guardians from the fans.
If MS really wants to push Halo as hard as it can, then it's a no-brainer that interest on both Halo ports for the Switch and Master Chief being a fighter in Smash would be considered, specially after how MS said they were pleased with Banjo's reception in Smash.
Taking all of this in consideration is the main reason why I think Chief's chances went from "never ever" to "possible", between MS and Nintendo's stronger than ever relationship (with one character already in the game) and how Microsoft wants halo to have the same wide appeal it had before, Finishing the Fight in Smash looks more credible than ever.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
That’s not what I ment

His claim was japan prevents the chief from getting in

Ridley and little Mac were barely known in japan
Again, those two are Nintendo characters. There’s no need to go through any hurdles to get them playable in Smash since they own them 100%.

Also, Ridley was plenty well-known, at least among Japanese Smash fans.

Going back on-topic, I have faith that Master Chief will be included in the new pass. I know it may seem like a pipe-dream to some of you, but unlike Doomguy, I would argue that Master Chief is recognizable in Japan in the sense that he’s more or less acknowledged as the “Xbox guy”. I feel that should give him an edge over other potential Western newcomers IMO.

Last edited:

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Not exactly a big Chief fan but I am of the opinion that Master Chief and Crash are pretty much the last two "big" characters that Nintendo could reasonably add to Ultimate that would blow everyone away. Chief is not only the face of Microsoft but basically Western gaming, FPS, and, honestly, kind of the patron saint of online play. Sakurai has even said he gives negative ****s about "the console wars" and Microsoft and Nintendo are getting super chummy. There's also the fact that Chief is the biggest "never ever" in Smash history and people have wanted the guy since Brawl, ironically enough. This all said, it's looking good and if Nintendo wanted to drop a bombshell that would seal the deal for Ultimate to be the biggest and best crossover of all time, Chief will be there, and that comes from someone that has no attachment to Halo.
See, this is how I see it as well. Crash and Chief, in my opinion, are the last two really "big" third party characters. People who grew up with the PS1 remember the bandicoot as the mascot of PlayStation. Dude even had commercials yelling about Nintendo. I still see Crash as a PlayStation character, even though you can find him everywhere now.

And, we all know Chief is to Xbox what Mario is to Nintendo. He made the Xbox a console. Bungie made the FPS "feel good" for console as well. I would argue that most "older" gamers who first played online did so with Halo 2. Chief represents the Xbox, the FPS, and online gaming so well. I really am excited that we are actually even able to have a discussion about him being playable in a Smash game. Blows my mind when I think about it.

Xwing Infinity

Smash Rookie
Been awhile since I posted in here. I was pretty convinced The Game Awards was the perfect place to announce the Halo Switch ports, but it didn’t pan out. Still, I have hope for Nintendo’s February Direct or E3 Direct. Right now I’m feeling Fighter 7 would be perfect for Chief, making him character 77 on the website. We all know the significance of repeated 7’s to Halo, lol.

Anyway, here’s an updated version of my conspiracy collage:

Last edited:

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Been awhile since I posted in here. I was pretty convinced The Game Awards was the perfect place to announce the Halo Switch ports, but it didn’t pan out. Still, I have hope for Nintendo’s February Direct or E3 Direct. Right now I’m feeling Fighter 7 would be perfect for Chief, making him character 77 on the website. We all know the significance to repeated 7’s to Halo, lol.

I like this collage because, same situation with Dante, I think people should take all this at face value because there's a ton to digest here.

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Been awhile since I posted in here. I was pretty convinced The Game Awards was the perfect place to announce the Halo Switch ports, but it didn’t pan out. Still, I have hope for Nintendo’s February Direct or E3 Direct. Right now I’m feeling Fighter 7 would be perfect for Chief, making him character 77 on the website. We all know the significance of repeated 7’s to Halo, lol.

I won't lie. Apart from the obvious Halo on Switch hints, the rest of these images go straight over my head. Sakurai in YUGIOH?! Cuphead is a Mii okay. Super Luckys Tale.... Uhm ORI..? Someone spell it out for me.

Last edited:

Xwing Infinity

Smash Rookie
I won't lie. Apart from the obvious Halo on Switch hints, the rest of these images go straight over my head. Sakurai in YUGIOH?! Cuphead is a Mii okay. Super Luckys Tale.... Uhm ORI..? Someone spell it out for me.
Sakurai with the dual disk is just a bit of silliness on my part. I keep telling my friends the heart of the cards is pointing to Master Chief.

Super Lucky’s Tale and Ori were both Xbox exclusives until they were published on Switch (and if I recall correctly, like Minecraft and Cuphead on Switch, they have Xbox Live integration).

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Sakurai with the dual disk is just a bit of silliness on my part. I keep telling my friends the heart of the cards is pointing to Master Chief.

Super Lucky’s Tale and Ori were both Xbox exclusives until they were published on Switch (and if I recall correctly, like Minecraft and Cuphead on Switch, they have Xbox Live integration).
WELL NOW!!! That sheds much more light on the Halo Xbox exclusivity thing. I really hope he makes it on Switch. That in itself would blow minds.

ranmanon

Smash Cadet
What would Chief come with if he gets in?
For me:
>Stage: The Arc/Silent Cartographer/Blood Gulch
-New Remixes:
  1. Opening Suite
  2. Warthog Run
  3. One Final Effort/Finish the Fight
-Music from the Games:
  1. On a Pale Horse
  2. Halo Theme (Mjolnir Mix)
  3. Blow me Away (Instrumental)
  4. Deference for Darkness
  5. Unyielding
  6. Follow
  7. 117
>Spirits:
  1. Master Chief
  2. Cortana
  3. Sgt. Johnson
  4. Miranda Keyes
  5. The Arbiter
  6. 343 Guilty Spark
  7. Unggoy (Grunt)
  8. Kig-Yar (Jackal)
  9. Mgalekgolo (Hunter)
  10. Prophet of Truth

>Mii Costumes (Halo Related):
  1. Spartan Armor & Helmet (Brawler)
  2. Sangheili Elite Armor with Plasma Blade (Swordfighter)
  3. Hunter with Plasma Cannon (Gunner)

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I've always thought it'd be cool if they got Martin O'Donnell to do a medley-style remix of the Halo theme, taking from all the games that feature it.

Gravemind would also make a good Legendary Spirit, I think.
Do you think Nintendo contacted him like they did with Grant Kirkhope? I don't think anyone actually asked Marty about score for Smash.

What would Chief come with if he gets in?
For me:
>Stage: The Arc/Silent Cartographer/Blood Gulch
-New Remixes:
  1. Opening Suite
  2. Warthog Run
  3. One Final Effort/Finish the Fight
-Music from the Games:
  1. On a Pale Horse
  2. Halo Theme (Mjolnir Mix)
  3. Blow me Away (Instrumental)
  4. Deference for Darkness
  5. Unyielding
  6. Follow
  7. 117
>Spirits:
  1. Master Chief
  2. Cortana
  3. Sgt. Johnson
  4. Miranda Keyes
  5. The Arbiter
  6. 343 Guilty Spark
  7. Unggoy (Grunt)
  8. Kig-Yar (Jackal)
  9. Mgalekgolo (Hunter)
  10. Prophet of Truth

>Mii Costumes (Halo Related):
  1. Spartan Armor & Helmet (Brawler)
  2. Sangheili Elite Armor with Plasma Blade (Swordfighter)
  3. Hunter with Plasma Cannon (Gunner)
I think Mii Gunner will most likely be ODST.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
I really want a Grunt hat for a Mii.

We really need to see a mainline Direct soon. Something to give us a clue as to some of the games that will be coming soon.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I'm no Halo fan, but the idea of Master Chief being in Smash alone would blow my mind. You can definitely chalk me down as support. If we don't get Doom Guy, this would be a great substitute imo.

D

Deleted member

I've played Halo with friends and I love the series. I might not post much but you better believe Master Chief has my support.

Spatman

Smash Ace
I support Master Chief as well. I think he would be the only possible mind-blowing thing bigger than Cloud and Snake in Smash

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
if and when we got Cheif I'd want this
New Remixes:
1 .Covenant Dance
2. Brothers In Arms
3. Behold A Pale Horse
4. Winter Contingency
5. The Menagerie
6. Drumrun
7. Unyielding

Music from the Games:
1. Finish the Fight intro included
2. One Final Effort

3. Halo Theme (Mjolnir Mix)
4. Whirling Dervish
5. Delta Suite
6. Rock Anthem For Saving the World
7. This is the Hour

Mii Costumes:
ODSTs
Marines (I'd go with there appearance from halo 3)
Elite (Standard Blue Elite)
Arbiter
I'd buy all of this like i bought all the dragon quest stuff

mynameisBlade

Smash Lord
Just throwing my wish list up. I couldn't decide between Lara Croft or Sora. I feel like Sora would make it in before her though. Geno will lead the way as we go to E3 where two big character bombs being Scorpion and Crash Bandicoot drop. Toward the end of the year we get a tease of something in Smash to do with Square. Sora revealed at the VGA's.

Starting up 2021 we get many VERY HARD TO FIGURE OUT hints from Sakurai himself about our next fighter. They end up pointing to Agumon (who I would love). Then E3 2021 will be Master Chief to really blow minds, finish the pass, and finish the fight one last time.

smash wishlist.jpg

I would really REALLY love to see Digimon and Pokemon in the same game..!

Izanagi97

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-2051-8893-9128
if and when we got Cheif I'd want this
New Remixes:
1 .Covenant Dance
2. Brothers In Arms
3. Behold A Pale Horse
4. Winter Contingency
5. The Menagerie
6. Drumrun
7. Unyielding

Music from the Games:
1. Finish the Fight intro included
2. One Final Effort

3. Halo Theme (Mjolnir Mix)
4. Whirling Dervish
5. Delta Suite
6. Rock Anthem For Saving the World
7. This is the Hour

Mii Costumes:
ODSTs
Marines (I'd go with there appearance from halo 3)
Elite (Standard Blue Elite)
Arbiter
I'd buy all of this like i bought all the dragon quest stuff
Some more additions to that song list
  • Leonidas/This Glittering Band (The Gondola theme from Halo 2 and the Hornet theme from Halo 3... I like to keep the Suite style songs separate)
  • Breaking the Covenant (Halo 2 Anniversary's replacement for Blow Me Away since that song is licensed IIRC)
  • 117 (Master Chief's leitmotif from 4 onward. Also known as the song that plays in the Broadsword segment of the final mission in Halo 4)
  • The Trials (Song from Halo 5 that combines the melodies of both the Halo theme and 117)

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Some more additions to that song list
  • Leonidas/This Glittering Band (The Gondola theme from Halo 2 and the Hornet theme from Halo 3... I like to keep the Suite style songs separate)
  • Breaking the Covenant (Halo 2 Anniversary's replacement for Blow Me Away since that song is licensed IIRC)
  • 117 (Master Chief's leitmotif from 4 onward. Also known as the song that plays in the Broadsword segment of the final mission in Halo 4)
  • The Trials (Song from Halo 5 that combines the melodies of both the Halo theme and 117)
i like it although i don't think we'd get to many songs my hopes are music from the bungie Era

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
If the Halo Switch rumor ends up panning out, I honestly am very confident in his chances.

One thing that I think a ton of people are glancing over is the sheer lack of Microsoft Mii costumes even after Banjo was revealed (Cuphead is owned by StudioMDHR). If Banjo was the last we were going to see on the Microsoft end, I firmly believe that there should’ve been Mii Costumes owned by them, especially since they were so easy to negotiate with. Also, the Altair Mii costume proves that big Western IPs could easily fall victim to getting Mii costume’d, so this could’ve easily happened to Chief. And not only did he avoid this, but so did the entirety of the company, which makes it the only one currently represented in the fighter pass to not have any if, I am not mistaken.

Overall, because of this and other thigs mentioned earlier in the thread, I am very confident in Chiefs chances right now in the future. And sign me up for the support list btw.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
Also, the Altair Mii costume proves that big Western IPs could easily fall victim to getting Mii costume’d, so this could’ve easily happened to Chief. And not only did he avoid this,
Welllllll, knock on wood, anyway. What Altair also proves is that a big IP can get disconfirmed out of nowhere--just like Resident Evil did. I do think Chief has a decent chance, but you never know when things might turn on you :/

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings
Welllllll, knock on wood, anyway. What Altair also proves is that a big IP can get disconfirmed out of nowhere--just like Resident Evil did. I do think Chief has a decent chance, but you never know when things might turn on you :/
I know, but like I said, the entire company is MIA on the costume front even after Banjo.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I know, but like I said, the entire company is MIA on the costume front even after Banjo.
Only reason I can think of is that technically Chief and Steve are part of separate subsidiaries so they only wanted to focus Rare (and specifically Banjo).

I'm still a bit sad Mumbo Jumbo didn't get a Mii Swordfighter costume.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Meanwhile, you have the Doom Slayer situation. Bethesda's prez confirmed that talks with Sakurai happened, and the latter knows of Jon Carmack, while the Doom Eternal director claimed that "nothing serious" happened during the banter with Nintendo. That is a weird case when folks jump to conclusions about him being deconfirmed, via a guy that has less authority than Bethesda's prez, and if Doom was just gonna get spirits/Miis, wouldn't this be breaking NDA?

Only reason I can think of is that technically Chief and Steve are part of separate subsidiaries so they only wanted to focus Rare (and specifically Banjo).

I'm still puzzled over the lack of Blast Corps and JFG spirits. That series data will get stuck in the cart forever...

Last edited:

nessdeltarune00

Banned via Warnings

But Rare didn’t get any Mii Costumes either though.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I think big difference between Chief and other big third party IP is that Chief is the mascot of Xbox. That alone warrants at least more dignity and respect. I know that this doesn't still guarantee fighter spot, but it's something to consider.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I think big difference between Chief and other big third party IP is that Chief is the mascot of Xbox. That alone warrants at least more dignity and respect. I know that this doesn't still guarantee fighter spot, but it's something to consider.
Plus, Halo is one of the more influential Western games out there. There's a reason why so many sci-fi FPS' even today are called "Halo killers"

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The only determining factor right now is if Halo gets ported. We had one fighter whose game appearance on Nintendo hardware was planned to be released shortly before their reveal, so it's not impossible.

At least Chief's series title wouldn't get censored for an insanely stupid reason.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
40% chance of a new Microsoft Rep. 50% chance between Steve. If anything, I think Chief would be a Fighter Pass 3 character if we get any.
That's a reasonable assumption. Once again, we only got a "guess I'm not taking breaks yet" comment to go on from Sak, so it stands to reason that Pass 2 could not be the end unless he says so around the time of character 6.

dinkeytom

Smash Apprentice
Considering that Microsoft is copyrighted in the game, I think they could get another rep. I believe Rare has a separate copyright for some of the DKC music, this was datamined on release of the game.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
Question how confident are people on Chiefs chances
I'd say I've gotten a bit overly optimistic about his chances so I'd like to say above 50%. If Chief came on Switch then it'd cement it for me.
If Doomslayer somehow got in that'd probably put a damper on my expectations regardless of whether it affects his or not.
Sometimes I worry that Chief actually will get in, but he'll be a Belmont-level camper with projectiles and a regenerating shield. I hope we can get him in without unleashing another zoner upon the Smash community, but Sakurai really doesn't seem to mind making them.
Hell, look at Banjo. He can make zoners out of characters who never remotely played that way in their own game! I can't be too sure that I want to bring a heavy, gun-wielding character with a regenerating shield upon the world :c
Unfortunately (for those who hate zoners) I think he would be such a character, seeing as he is from a first-person shooter. Granted, I don't think he would be zoning heavy as I can see him using a lot of up close attacks. He could be made in such a way that he's great at countering zoners with the combination of his shield and other moves, going on the offense. Though, in the same vein, he'd probably start zoning more against opponents that can't deal with it.
What are people hoping for, with regard to Halo Infinite? More of a Halo 4/5 direction, or a return to form? I personally think they could accomplish a good mix, but I wanna gauge the room, here.
I'm looking for something refreshing but of course Halo at its core. That doesn't exactly mean a return to form for me, as I actually enjoyed 4/5's multiplayer (I know, unpopular opinion at least in the case of 4) but I would be curious if they tried to take the core elements of the older games and polished them a bit with basic and un-intrusive innovations.
I could also see a few different playstyles all in one game as well. What I mean by that is in Halo 5 you'll have the occasional rotation of H3&ODST style modes which use older maps and/or mechanics. 343 might want to try some more things to 'reinvigorate' the gameplay of the franchise (with the new engine) that doesn't bore todays crowd but would likely make customization options or occasional modes for older fans to enjoy a more classic style of play.
Basically, I think we want about the same thing. Whatever we end up with, I'm expecting it'll be something we haven't quite seen before, likely with elements from the older games and Halo 5.

Last edited:
Top Bottom