• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I need a weapon" - Master Chief

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
This site needs more of this attitude. What characters do you support? Be neat to check out some new threads.
Other characters i'd like to see would be Fiora (Xenoblade), the Octolings, Officer Howard from Astral Chain and Shantae.
But i'm mostly in the Elma-Support-Thread.

Im pretty open minded in terms of future characters. I got Chrom and Banjo-Kazooie. Everything beyond that is a bonus for me.

btw. if im not mistaken, there where some news/ leaks (whatever you want to call it) about possible Halo-Content on Switch.
Did we ever heard anything about this again? I think this was a few monts ago, but im not 100% sure.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Other characters i'd like to see would be Fiora (Xenoblade), the Octolings, Officer Howard from Astral Chain and Shantae.
But i'm mostly in the Elma-Support-Thread.

Im pretty open minded in terms of future characters. I got Chrom and Banjo-Kazooie. Everything beyond that is a bonus for me.

btw. if im not mistaken, there where some news/ leaks (whatever you want to call it) about possible Halo-Content on Switch.
Did we ever heard anything about this again? I think this was a few monts ago, but im not 100% sure.
Yeah. That legendary leaker is King Zell from resetera. He changed his name to C.Tsubasa. He leaked entire Nintendo Direct.
He made "Mario in Playstation" and "dropped to say halo" comments. It was just a month ago. It looks like MS is almost treating Switch as Xbox handheld.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
Happy 1,000 posts, by the way. :4pacman:

What are people hoping for, with regard to Halo Infinite? More of a Halo 4/5 direction, or a return to form? I personally think they could accomplish a good mix, but I wanna gauge the room, here.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
I didnt like the class based structure that Post Halo 3 games included. If i wanted to play Call of Duty, I'll play Call of Duty. I hope they make something more like the original trilogy.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
I didnt like the class based structure that Post Halo 3 games included. If i wanted to play Call of Duty, I'll play Call of Duty. I hope they make something more like the original trilogy.
I think we can rest assured that even starts are here to stay; for all of Halo 5's faults, 343 made sure to leave loadouts in the past.

I'm just hoping they tone down the movement. Thruster Pack and Clamber aren't all bad, but the way they allow people to fly and climb around the map begins to make it feel distant from Halo. Being able to dodge rockets or sword-lunges is pretty gnarly, though, so I hope they find a middle ground where players can bob and weave through projectiles without turning the maps into jungle gyms. :/

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Reach was fine minus sprint being an armor ability. Oh, and armor lock. I like the new movement options that were later introduced in 5, but still, I feel ya. Otherwise, the aesthetics like the ranking system needs to be less like CoD and more like Halo again, yeah.

Last edited:

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
Happy 1,000 posts, by the way. :4pacman:

What are people hoping for, with regard to Halo Infinite? More of a Halo 4/5 direction, or a return to form? I personally think they could accomplish a good mix, but I wanna gauge the room, here.
That's a hard one for me. I totally get why people want 343 to go back to the older style, Halo needs to stand on its own to differentiate itself, and it's easy to see why all these modernizations can turn off the base. What makes old school Halo so great is the sense of fairness. Everyone starts off with the identical stats and weapons and the determining factor for victory is almost entirely skill based. Even broken combinations like n00b combo (or just blowing them up with a Rocket Launcher) only works if you have solid knowledge of the map to know where all the weapons are and the skill to fight off the competition for those weapons. After playing through both Star Wars Battlefront 2 and Destiny 2, while I really enjoy both games, the bullcrap of constantly losing to people with much better weapons and loadouts than yourself can get very grating.

On the other hand though, there is a very real danger of stagnation overly pandering to the base if they go full throwback with it. Like, what would be the point of playing Halo 2.5/3.5 when all the old games are on the MCC and they play fine? What would this hypothetical more Bungie-esque Halo 6 bring to the table that its predecessors didn't? How are you going to evolve the gameplay for 2020 standards without going so far that fans don't feel like it's old school Halo anymore, but also fresh and modern enough that new players are attracted to it?

It's a rough question that I'm not really sure how to answer. To me I guess the heart of Halo compared to other modern games is fairness. Everyone starts out on the same playing field and you have to just be better than the other guy to win. Keep that and some of the other Halo characteristics like it's medium-pace (I hate how you just insta-die after a second of fire like in COD) gameplay and its emphasis on the holy triangle and I think Halo will be in a good place.

Last edited:

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
On the other hand though, there is a very real danger of stagnation overly pandering to the base if they go full throwback with it. Like, what would be the point of playing Halo 2.5/3.5 when all the old games are on the MCC and they play fine? What would this hypothetical more Bungie-esque Halo 6 bring to the table that its predecessors didn't? How are you going to evolve the gameplay for 2020 standards without going so far that fans don't feel like it's old school Halo anymore, but also fresh and modern enough that new players are attracted to it?
This is a pretty pivotal question. As much as classic enthusiasts say otherwise, I think, as you seem to suggest, that a full-on classic-style game would feel antiquated. On the other hand, Halo 5's movement was really divisive among the fanbase, ranging from an outright rejection of Sprint to a lukewarm/controversial reputation for Thrust. As they are, I think the Spartan Abilities are poorly implemented, but there are glimmers of goodness in there that I hope they retain in Infinite.

Like, you can't really deny how intrinsically good it feels to boost, run, and climb all over the place. You often see the sentiment that "sure, Halo 5's campaign sucked but the multiplayer was awesome!" I would bet that this is what people mean. Halo 5's movement feels really good, even if the abilities have negative indirect effects on the rest of the game. Finding a Doom 2016-style balance between the old and new isn't easy, but they can start by addressing the main criticism of all the abilities.

Sprint separates movement and combat. Most people have agreed that this goes against the nature of Halo, so they can fairly easily remove it and increase the Base Movement Speed. Easy enough. Clamber is a bit trickier; whether it's a quality-of-life convenience or map-stretching annoyance depends on who you ask. Spartan Charge and Ground Pound are nuisances that almost everyone agrees should be removed, while Hover and Slide are often so niche that they hardly affect the game (barring specific jump sequences). The majority of abilities are fairly easy to navigate, in terms of discussion, as their effects are pretty clear.

Thruster Pack, however, is a thornier topic. I think It has tangible effects on the game that are both positive and negative. As many have pointed out, it extends maps due to it's hypermobile nature, with many jumps requiring players to use it, or wait awkwardly for it to recharge when it's down. By making jumps and sightlines alike larger, Thrust becomes a necessity rather than an option. Furthermore, it acts as a sort of get-out-of-jail-free card when a player is in trouble, as the boost goes farther and faster than base movement--especially in the air--to the point where you can flat out run away from certain encounters.

On the other hand, Thrust genuinely opens up options that weren't there, before. Being able to change your momentum so quickly, on the ground or in the air adds new depth to the way players strafe to throw off their opponent's aim. In fact, Thruster Pack is able to save you from a Rocket Launcher fired at your feet, or even dodge a Sword lunge; it adds more potential to outplay your opponent, even in situations that would have been instant death in classic Halo. However good you were, a Rocket was a Rocket and you were as good as dead. Whether you chalk it up to the design of the weapons or the movement, older Halo's didn't let you avoid what you can in Halo 5, and I think allowing players to dodge instakill weapons is a great thing. This clip from Raycevick's (reallly good) Halo 5 review shares a similar sentiment:

Basically, I think it boils down to a few key topics. A separation of movement and combat (Sprint, Clamber), Cheesy abilities (Spartan Charge, Ground Pound), Pseudo-filler abilities (Hover, Slide) and overtuned mobility options (Thruster Pack). Hopefully, 343 can distill the sense of liberation and player-agency that Halo 5 offers into a better balanced experience where mobility is toned down. Let players dodge, juke, and run around gung-ho at a fast pace; don't bog them down with guns-down gameplay, artificially extended maps (vertically and horizontally), and easy-bake escape options.

Anyway, didn't mean to get carried away and write an essay. Might post this on the Halo forums so it doesn't go to waste :ultpacman:

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
I got the feeling if the dream really is happening and Chief is being worked on right now to be in smash bros, I keep calling it that E3 would be the perfect time to drop the bomb and let the world know that he is in. Of course it just seems most optimal given that Halo Infinite is no doubt going to get huge coverage this year with Microsoft's presentation (Come on we haven't even gotten a official game play trailer yet!) And if not at E3, maybe he gets to appear next year as Halo celebrates its 20th anniversary? Basically I am asking you guys when you expect Chief to come if he is in fact on his way.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I got the feeling if the dream really is happening and Chief is being worked on right now to be in smash bros, I keep calling it that E3 would be the perfect time to drop the bomb and let the world know that he is in. Of course it just seems most optimal given that Halo Infinite is no doubt going to get huge coverage this year with Microsoft's presentation (Come on we haven't even gotten a official game play trailer yet!) And if not at E3, maybe he gets to appear next year as Halo celebrates its 20th anniversary? Basically I am asking you guys when you expect Chief to come if he is in fact on his way.
Or at Nintendo's E3 direct... after they reveal the Switch port of Halo

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
This is a pretty pivotal question. As much as classic enthusiasts say otherwise, I think, as you seem to suggest, that a full-on classic-style game would feel antiquated. On the other hand, Halo 5's movement was really divisive among the fanbase, ranging from an outright rejection of Sprint to a lukewarm/controversial reputation for Thrust. As they are, I think the Spartan Abilities are poorly implemented, but there are glimmers of goodness in there that I hope they retain in Infinite.

Like, you can't really deny how intrinsically good it feels to boost, run, and climb all over the place. You often see the sentiment that "sure, Halo 5's campaign sucked but the multiplayer was awesome!" I would bet that this is what people mean. Halo 5's movement feels really good, even if the abilities have negative indirect effects on the rest of the game. Finding a Doom 2016-style balance between the old and new isn't easy, but they can start by addressing the main criticism of all the abilities.

Sprint separates movement and combat. Most people have agreed that this goes against the nature of Halo, so they can fairly easily remove it and increase the Base Movement Speed. Easy enough. Clamber is a bit trickier; whether it's a quality-of-life convenience or map-stretching annoyance depends on who you ask. Spartan Charge and Ground Pound are nuisances that almost everyone agrees should be removed, while Hover and Slide are often so niche that they hardly affect the game (barring specific jump sequences). The majority of abilities are fairly easy to navigate, in terms of discussion, as their effects are pretty clear.

Thruster Pack, however, is a thornier topic. I think It has tangible effects on the game that are both positive and negative. As many have pointed out, it extends maps due to it's hypermobile nature, with many jumps requiring players to use it, or wait awkwardly for it to recharge when it's down. By making jumps and sightlines alike larger, Thrust becomes a necessity rather than an option. Furthermore, it acts as a sort of get-out-of-jail-free card when a player is in trouble, as the boost goes farther and faster than base movement--especially in the air--to the point where you can flat out run away from certain encounters.

On the other hand, Thrust genuinely opens up options that weren't there, before. Being able to change your momentum so quickly, on the ground or in the air adds new depth to the way players strafe to throw off their opponent's aim. In fact, Thruster Pack is able to save you from a Rocket Launcher fired at your feet, or even dodge a Sword lunge; it adds more potential to outplay your opponent, even in situations that would have been instant death in classic Halo. However good you were, a Rocket was a Rocket and you were as good as dead. Whether you chalk it up to the design of the weapons or the movement, older Halo's didn't let you avoid what you can in Halo 5, and I think allowing players to dodge instakill weapons is a great thing. This clip from Raycevick's (reallly good) Halo 5 review shares a similar sentiment:

Basically, I think it boils down to a few key topics. A separation of movement and combat (Sprint, Clamber), Cheesy abilities (Spartan Charge, Ground Pound), Pseudo-filler abilities (Hover, Slide) and overtuned mobility options (Thruster Pack). Hopefully, 343 can distill the sense of liberation and player-agency that Halo 5 offers into a better balanced experience where mobility is toned down. Let players dodge, juke, and run around gung-ho at a fast pace; don't bog them down with guns-down gameplay, artificially extended maps (vertically and horizontally), and easy-bake escape options.

Anyway, didn't mean to get carried away and write an essay. Might post this on the Halo forums so it doesn't go to waste :ultpacman:
Ironically, Spartan movements are good movesets to choose. I think Sakurai will definitely try to implement some of them. They are also one of reasons why Chief has more options to pull from compared to other fps protagonists.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Well, gonna take refuge here since Doomguy is pretty much out thanks to that new interview with an ID Software Producer.

I think Chief is pretty likely for the second pass. Cuphead costume and the potential Halo ports bode well for him.

ranmanon

Smash Cadet
Well, gonna take refuge here since Doomguy is pretty much out thanks to that new interview with an ID Software Producer.

I think Chief is pretty likely for the second pass. Cuphead costume and the potential Halo ports bode well for him.
Reminder that Banjo-Kazooie's composer also said "don't count on it" in regards to Banjo being in Smash.
Keep Believing.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yeah, just another run of the mill NDA answer.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord

As much as I've had bad experience with Doom fanboys, I still feel unfortunate about your side. Don't entirely give up, but don't go overboard. Better lower your expectation low and be pleasantly surprised than be very disappointed later on...

But we will carry your will. Hopefully, that damn Japan factor will be overcome.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I guess it really depends on what parts/corners of the internet one goes around, but all the Doom fans I’ve seen like around here and the discord server are also fans of Halo who are cool with the idea of Chief being added to Smash, if not support him equally (I pretty much fall in the latter too I guess), but that’s admittedly the extent of my exposure to the Doom fanbase for the most part despite how much I’ve played the games and all the main Halo’s and then some.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
I’d like to throw in my support to Chief. Don’t really pay much attention to support threads but just due to what this character will mean to smash bros history I’ll throw my hat in despite him having next to no chance. And if the DoomGuy deconfirmation is anything to go by that could raise the chief’s chances which like I said doesn’t help much because his chances are already abysmally low. People also seem to think that Chief is likely just based on the fact that he will be a good final reveal but if the common opinion is correct which is that the first fighter pass was going to be the only DLC then that means they were planning to end on Byleth so I think Sakurai and Nintendo don’t really pay attention to him. Still it would be cool and could have a really cool moveset with maybe an armour mechanic like in Halo.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
While Doomguy being out does mean Chief has slightly better odds from a technical standpoint (due to being a fps character concept idea), I think the series' lack of appeal and popularity in Japan remains a big factor against him. For Chief to happen I feel like Nintendo would need to be convinced to promote Halo Infinite for the Xbox Series X console launch.

Their working relationship may be good, but I don't think it's that good.

Last edited:

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
Well, we do have that King Zell Rumor that seemingly suggests Halo on Switch...

He absolutely doesn't have Eastern appeal, of course, so he'd need to be revealed alongside a popular character over there (like Hero/Banjo at E3). If this is the case, my money's on Reimu due to that potential music leak some time back.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman

He absolutely doesn't have Eastern appeal, of course, so he'd need to be revealed alongside a popular character over there (like Hero/Banjo at E3). If this is the case, my money's on Reimu due to that potential music leak some time back.
The way indies are being handled at this point I’d expect her to be a mii costume. Only differences are she isn’t western, may not be too popular and doesn’t work as well as Sans and Cuphead due to her having an actual face but I could see these being easily worked around

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
The way indies are being handled at this point I’d expect her to be a mii costume. Only differences are she isn’t western, may not be too popular and doesn’t work as well as Sans and Cuphead due to her having an actual face but I could see these being easily worked around
I'm not very familiar with her series, but it's apparently been around for decades, and has amassed such popularity in Japan that it's sort of transcended it's Indie nature. Like Undertale, but with even more fame and legacy. With that and Nintendo contacting a bunch of Touhou people for remixes, she's got a shot

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
I'm not very familiar with her series, but it's apparently been around for decades, and has amassed such popularity in Japan that it's sort of transcended it's Indie nature. Like Undertale, but with even more fame and legacy. With that and Nintendo contacting a bunch of Touhou people for remixes, she's got a shot
Sure she has but it depends if Sakurai views eastern indies the same has he views western ones which may not be the case as he may not be as familiar with indies in the west due to his main perspective point of view being in Japan. Depends really

Lionfranky

Smash Lord

I don't think they will get Reimu as a playable character. The same reasoning that works against Chief should work against her as well for different region. She is even more obscure in west than Chief is in east. There is precedent for Sakurai taking western market into account when he decided not to put a certain character into roster.

Out of all FPS characters that get frequently brought up, Chief has the most fame in east... maybe, besides Tracer.

400k (Banjo) vs 110k (Halo 3) So, it's not that big world of difference. So, I believe Banjo case can work for Chief.

If King Zell's rumor happens to be true, then it means that MS is going to push Chief hard. They may lower fee for character use to make up for Japan. Or maybe, they may even offer covering up Master Chief dlc development cost. Who knows what's behind the scene?

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
With Doom Slayer seemingly out of the running. Mind adding me to the support and besides I think Chief more then earns his spot in Smash being XBox's answer to Mario and among the faces of FPS'.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
With Doom Slayer seemingly out of the running. Mind adding me to the support and besides I think Chief more then earns his spot in Smash being XBox's answer to Mario and among the faces of FPS'.
Yeah undeniable that Chief deserves it. Sakurai said so himself that smash is now more of a celebration of gaming than anything else. Unique moveset potential too. I don’t think he’s likely but I agree he definitely deserves it

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
There was an recent interview regarding him.
I just saw it

Here’s one error you guys are making

How do you guys know they are not being watched by the ninjas and just a expression but being held at gun point by them to say no doomguy

(Being under NDA)

But on the other hand that gives more breathing room for master chief

Last edited:

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
I just saw it

Here’s one error you guys are making

How do you guys know they are not being watched by the ninjas and just a expression but being held at gun point by them to say no doomguy

(Being under NDA)

But on the other hand that gives more breathing room for master chief
We don’t know. It just seems likely that NDAs are deconfirmations as there are several times where a character has been deconfirmed and they haven’t came to fruition. Like I saw someone else mention in this or another thread Kojima did deconfirm Snake for smash 4 and many assumed he was trolling just due to his nature but it was correct that he wasn’t. That and the general consensus is you can’t speak about if your character is in or not if they are

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
It could definitely be the case that they're under NDA, but the Doomguy conversation doesn't seem deflective; rather than quickly dismiss it or change the subject, they have a seemingly candid exchange about how talks didn't pan out. Of all deconfirmations, this one seems pretty believable.

That said, we shouldn't let our Chief-bias make us too eager to write off Doomguy, especially when he has a lot of fans who will already be deflated by this news.

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
It could definitely be the case that they're under NDA, but the Doomguy conversation doesn't seem deflective; rather than quickly dismiss it or change the subject, they have a seemingly candid exchange about how talks didn't pan out. Of all deconfirmations, this one seems pretty believable.

That said, we shouldn't let our Chief-bias make us too eager to write off Doomguy, especially when he has a lot of fans who will already be deflated by this news.
You kept bringing Japan factor.... sorry but if Chief can't get in due to Japan, then Doom Slayer never had a chance.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
I don't think they will get Reimu as a playable character. The same reasoning that works against Chief should work against her as well for different region. She is even more obscure in west than Chief is in east. There is precedent for Sakurai taking western market into account when he decided not to put a certain character into roster.

Out of all FPS characters that get frequently brought up, Chief has the most fame in east... maybe, besides Tracer.

400k (Banjo) vs 110k (Halo 3) So, it's not that big world of difference. So, I believe Banjo case can work for Chief.

If King Zell's rumor happens to be true, then it means that MS is going to push Chief hard. They may lower fee for character use to make up for Japan. Or maybe, they may even offer covering up Master Chief dlc development cost. Who knows what's behind the scene?
Just saw this post and once again I’d like to point out that just because they port MCC to switch doesn’t mean they want to push Chief. It will require little to no effort and practically no development costs and any money they do spend on porting it over will be made up for with how much it sells. I’d understand you saying they’d like to push Chief if they were making say a switch exclusive halo game which I am aware will never happen but it doesn’t work with MCC. They wouldn’t be porting it over to push him in Japan they’d be porting it over to get money from the consumers they know will buy it. It’s like Cuphead, if it wasn’t for Microsoft that game wouldn’t be on Switch but they didn’t port it over to appeal to the Japanese fan base as they did nothing major to push it over there despite it being their first chance to become a major name in Japan. Instead they just ported it over because it worked well on Switch and therefore could gain them steady profits from the people they knew would buy the game

Fatmanonice

Banned via Warnings
NNID
Fatmanonice
Not exactly a big Chief fan but I am of the opinion that Master Chief and Crash are pretty much the last two "big" characters that Nintendo could reasonably add to Ultimate that would blow everyone away. Chief is not only the face of Microsoft but basically Western gaming, FPS, and, honestly, kind of the patron saint of online play. Sakurai has even said he gives negative ****s about "the console wars" and Microsoft and Nintendo are getting super chummy. There's also the fact that Chief is the biggest "never ever" in Smash history and people have wanted the guy since Brawl, ironically enough. This all said, it's looking good and if Nintendo wanted to drop a bombshell that would seal the deal for Ultimate to be the biggest and best crossover of all time, Chief will be there, and that comes from someone that has no attachment to Halo.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Not exactly a big Chief fan but I am of the opinion that Master Chief and Crash are pretty much the last two "big" characters that Nintendo could reasonably add to Ultimate that would blow everyone away. Chief is not only the face of Microsoft but basically Western gaming, FPS, and, honestly, kind of the patron saint of online play. Sakurai has even said he gives negative ****s about "the console wars" and Microsoft and Nintendo are getting super chummy. There's also the fact that Chief is the biggest "never ever" in Smash history and people have wanted the guy since Brawl, ironically enough. This all said, it's looking good and if Nintendo wanted to drop a bombshell that would seal the deal for Ultimate to be the biggest and best crossover of all time, Chief will be there, and that comes from someone that has no attachment to Halo.
I agree with everything said here minus the looking good part. Chief to me is way too much of a pipe dream, even more so than cloud or even Snake and Sonic were. Imo he has next to no chance but would absolutely love for him to be in due to what he can bring to the table not only in terms of moveset and content but how much it could shake up the industry.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
Sometimes I worry that Chief actually will get in, but he'll be a Belmont-level camper with projectiles and a regenerating shield. I hope we can get him in without unleashing another zoner upon the Smash community, but Sakurai really doesn't seem to mind making them.

Hell, look at Banjo. He can make zoners out of characters who never remotely played that way in their own game! I can't be too sure that I want to bring a heavy, gun-wielding character with a regenerating shield upon the world :c

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Just saw this post and once again I’d like to point out that just because they port MCC to switch doesn’t mean they want to push Chief. It will require little to no effort and practically no development costs and any money they do spend on porting it over will be made up for with how much it sells. I’d understand you saying they’d like to push Chief if they were making say a switch exclusive halo game which I am aware will never happen but it doesn’t work with MCC. They wouldn’t be porting it over to push him in Japan they’d be porting it over to get money from the consumers they know will buy it. It’s like Cuphead, if it wasn’t for Microsoft that game wouldn’t be on Switch but they didn’t port it over to appeal to the Japanese fan base as they did nothing major to push it over there despite it being their first chance to become a major name in Japan. Instead they just ported it over because it worked well on Switch and therefore could gain them steady profits from the people they knew would buy the game
It's still big announcement. Why does it have to be Switch exclusive Halo content? Regardless of difficulty of porting MCC to Switch, it will be monumental moment in gaming history. Microsoft is fine with lending Banjo to Smash without Rare Replay, but somehow they are uncomfortable lending Master Chief to Smash when his games will be on Switch? I wasn't trying to say they would be trying to push Halo in Japan. I am saying they will try to push Chief into Smash despite Japan factor. I understand where you are coming from, but why would Microsoft not ask Nintendo to put Master Chief in Smash when Halo comes to Switch? If Microsoft actually crosses Rubicon River, why just stop there? What harm would there be in putting Master Chief in Smash at this point?

Keep in mind that Microsoft really tried their best getting into Japanese market, but it didn't get financial return they hoped for. Still, trace of their effort is shown via fame of Halo in Japan. That's more than most fps characters hope for. That's how Halo anime was made. Phil Pencer said Microsoft isn't abandoning Japanese market as they managed to bring Japanese games like King Heart 3 to Xbox.

Ridley and little Mac would like a word with ypu
People will say that they are Nintendo characters, so no need for negotiation.

Last edited:

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
It's still big announcement. Why does it have to be Switch exclusive Halo content? Regardless of difficulty of porting MCC to Switch, it will be monumental moment in gaming history. Microsoft is fine with lending Banjo to Smash without Rare Replay, but somehow they are uncomfortable lending Master Chief to Smash when his games will be on Switch? I wasn't trying to say they would be trying to push Halo in Japan. I am saying they will try to push Chief into Smash despite Japan factor. I understand where you are coming from, but why would Microsoft not ask Nintendo to put Master Chief in Smash when Halo comes to Switch? If Microsoft actually crosses Rubicon River, why just stop there? What harm would there be in putting Master Chief in Smash at this point?

Keep in mind that Microsoft really tried their best getting into Japanese market, but it didn't get financial return they hoped for. Still, trace of their effort is shown via fame of Halo in Japan. That's more than most fps characters hope for. That's how Halo anime was made. Phil Pencer said Microsoft isn't abandoning Japanese market as they managed to bring Japanese games like King Heart 3 to Xbox.

Thanks for clearing up the points now. I was kinda confused. I have no doubt about it that Microsoft would say yes to Chief in Smash the more I think about it but Nintendo is usually the one that does the asking. The only company that has confirmed they have asked Nintendo reps to get a character into smash is iD software as that interview came out 2 days ago saying nothing materialised from it. You could say Travis but that was definitely more Sakurai than Nintendo. My point is it doesn’t seem likely Nintendo would want to get Chief and Microsoft are such a large company larger but than the likes of Grasshopper and iD software that they would get Nintendo to do the asking most likely. But I agree with most of your points nonetheless

Last edited:

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend

That’s not what I ment

His claim was japan prevents the chief from getting in

Ridley and little Mac were barely known in japan

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Thanks for clearing up the points now. I was kinda confused. I have no doubt about it that Microsoft would say yes to Chief in Smash the more I think about it but Nintendo is usually the one that does the asking. The only company that has confirmed they have asked Nintendo reps to get a character into smash is iD software as that interview came out 2 days ago saying nothing materialised from it. You could say Travis but that was definitely more Sakurai than Nintendo. My point is it doesn’t seem likely Nintendo would want to get Chief and Microsoft are such a large company larger but than the likes of Grasshopper and iD software that they would get Nintendo to do the asking most likely. But I agree with most of your points nonetheless
Yeah. It's ultimately up to Nintendo. I am sure Sakurai would be honored to put Chief in Smash. He actually complimented Halo 2 along Half Life 2. If Halo gets into Smash, there is no way it will just end up with Spirit and Mii costume. Backlash would be more severe than ever if that happens.

Last edited:
Top Bottom