• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I need a weapon" - Master Chief

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
Chief is one of my 'guilty pleasure' picks for Smash. I don't expect him to make an appearance, ever, but I still like to think about it. Funny I look at this thread for the first time, and stages are being discussed. I had been thinking about what kind of stages Chief could have if he were made into a fighter the other day, and came up with these 3 as ideas.

Classic Halo campaign level and iconic scenery. Could be a traveling stage, could be a hazardous stage with Ghosts and Banshees moving in like the Arwings on Corneria, could be a gritty close-quarters battle at one of the installations' many outposts.

1576786845957.png

Classic Halo Multiplayer stage. I think Blood Gulch is the only other stage to have more appearances/derivatives, but Lockout seems more appropriate for Smash. The big middle platform holds most of the battle, but maybe the camera can shift in hazards-on mode a la Spiral Mountain to switch up the available platforms. Fairly unique bleak-looking scenery that wouldn't be anywhere else in the game.

1576786913153.png

My real stage wish if Chief were to ever exist within the Smash universe. Hopefully my idea isn't too similar to the Mario Maker stage, but the game could start with a Monitor spawning several platforms/forge objects either in the air or on the ground for the players to interact with, and periodically deleting and remaking said forge objects elsewhere on the map. Hazards off mode could be a unique midair, symmetrical layout, or a unique layout that takes place on "The Pillar" mountaintop area. Similar to Installation 04's background scenery displaying the vastness and beauty of the ringworld.

Last edited:

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Chief is one of my 'guilty pleasure' picks for Smash. I don't expect him to make an appearance, ever, but I still like to think about it. Funny I look at this thread for the first time, and stages are being discussed. I had been thinking about what kind of stages Chief could have if he were made into a fighter the other day, and came up with these 3 as ideas.

Classic Halo campaign level and iconic scenery. Could be a traveling stage, could be a hazardous stage with Ghosts and Banshees moving in like the Arwings on Corneria, could be a gritty close-quarters battle at one of the installations' many outposts.

Classic Halo Multiplayer stage. I think Blood Gulch is the only other stage to have more appearances/derivatives, but Lockout seems more appropriate for Smash. The big middle platform holds most of the battle, but maybe the camera can shift in hazards-on mode a la Spiral Mountain to switch up the available platforms. Fairly unique bleak-looking scenery that wouldn't be anywhere else in the game.

My real stage wish if Chief were to ever exist within the Smash universe. Hopefully my idea isn't too similar to the Mario Maker stage, but the game could start with a Monitor spawning several platforms/forge objects either in the air or on the ground for the players to interact with, and periodically deleting and remaking said forge objects elsewhere on the map. Hazards off mode could be a unique midair, symmetrical layout, or a unique layout that takes place on "The Pillar" mountaintop area. Similar to Installation 04's background scenery displaying the vastness and beauty of the ringworld.
Oh, here we go. I like this a lot.

Installation 04 makes a ton of sense. I think flying around the map with things going on in the background could be cool. Especially if we are looking at Chief from the early games. Covenant, Flood, UNSC, and even the Forerunners are present on the map. I think this would be the best place for a classic Halo campaign nod map.

I definitely see Lockout fitting the "Smash style map" better than Blood Gulch. It is iconic, smaller with multiple levels/platforms. I just don't know if it has enough going on around it that would be interesting? Still, I do understand, and like, this choice.

Forgeworld could fit in a ton of stuff. Not sure if they would do something like a canvas map, but it also could incorporate a ton of Halo lore and such around it.

If MasterChief is in the game, Blood Gulch would be the level.
I don't know if it is that cut and dry. Most of the DLC characters seem to have gotten a level that reflects big parts of the game. I really think Installation 04 could be a better choice than Blood Gulch. Both are good options. And, I am sure if we dug a bit deeper, there would be more that we haven't thought about yet.

------------------------------------------------------

Yeah, it is pretty crazy to think that Chief has more of a shot. I, too, never thought he would be considered. After Banjo and Microsoft/Nintendo playing nice, I feel like he has a chance. Not likely, but still a shot.

Sean²

Smash Capitalist
Switch FC
SW-7479-8539-5283
The more I think about it, the more I believe Installation 04 would do well as a traveling stage. With all the different environments explored in the Halo CE campaign, it would be nice to see more than just the verdurous area. I could see maybe flying around and using a covenant dropship/pelican as a main platform to some different areas. Memorable ones like the outcrop base entrance in the Silent Cartographer/beach area, the bridge in Assault on the Control Room/snowy area, possibly inside the Truth and Reconciliation and/or the Library, etc. Though I'd still be satisfied with just the first area, just spinning up some ideas.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Personally I'd like a stage based on the Silent Cartographer level from HCE.

Not a travelling stage but just a really large map similar to Palutena's Temple or Hyrule Temple where Covies and Marines occasionally battle each other and you can drive vehicles.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Over the Christmas Break, I played the Campaigns of Halo Reach, Halo 1, Halo 2, and Halo 3 in order. (Basically the original Covenant War). One thought crossed my mind. The Gravemind is a complete moron. He had High Charity and chunks of the Covenant fleet. He could have just sent rogue ships out to take all of the planets in the Covenant and spread throughout the Galaxy.

This makes me think, there could be a rogue ship with Flood spores out there. Also, I think the Flood took over the second Halo Ring and it is in take. Both good methods for bringing the Flood back as a major threat.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Over the Christmas Break, I played the Campaigns of Halo Reach, Halo 1, Halo 2, and Halo 3 in order. (Basically the original Covenant War). One thought crossed my mind. The Gravemind is a complete moron. He had High Charity and chunks of the Covenant fleet. He could have just sent rogue ships out to take all of the planets in the Covenant and spread throughout the Galaxy.

This makes me think, there could be a rogue ship with Flood spores out there. Also, I think the Flood took over the second Halo Ring and it is in take. Both good methods for bringing the Flood back as a major threat.
I feel the Flood themselves are situated in another area separate from what we've seen of the Halo Universe. Especially since the Halo Wars subseries (2 especially, 1 took place before any of the main games) shows the Flood still around, years after the events of the original trilogy.

But would be neat to see an alt ending to the Halo verse where Gravemind takes over everything.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord

Well, he was pretty panicked that Truth could fire Halo array at any moment. So he scrapped everything he had and headed toward Ark. What's the point of infecting others if you are gonna get screwed anyway? He didn't know that Sangheili and humans were trying to stop Truth at the time. And Elite glassed installation 05 to stop further infection.

I feel the Flood themselves are situated in another area separate from what we've seen of the Halo Universe. Especially since the Halo Wars subseries (2 especially, 1 took place before any of the main games) shows the Flood still around, years after the events of the original trilogy.

But would be neat to see an alt ending to the Halo verse where Gravemind takes over everything.
Flood is like Galactus. If a faction strikes them at early stage(starving), it can stop infection. That's how Flood was dealt in original trilogy and Halo Wars 2. Still, those Brute brothers lost 40% of their force while trying to stop Flood. So all those factions were pretty lucky.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Well, he was pretty panicked that Truth could fire Halo array at any moment. So he scrapped everything he had and headed toward Ark. What's the point of infecting others if you are gonna get screwed anyway? He didn't know that Sangheili and humans were trying to stop Truth at the time. And Elite glassed installation 05 to stop further infection.

Flood is like Galactus. If a faction strikes them at early stage(starving), it can stop infection. That's how Flood was dealt in original trilogy and Halo Wars 2. Still, those Brute brothers lost 40% of their force while trying to stop Flood. So all those factions were pretty lucky.
Flood can also be stopped by Masterchief and a shotgun :). In some ways, I found the Flood to be easier to deal with than the covenant. Outside of Halo 1 with the pistols, I always thought the Hunters were the hardest enemies to deal with, especially if you don't have room to move around (like in the High Charity Stages).

PsychoJosh

His focus was on getting to the humans to make sure they didn't activate the rings, because if they were successful in lighting the Halos then it wouldn't matter how many planets he had taken over.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
Flood can also be stopped by Masterchief and a shotgun :). In some ways, I found the Flood to be easier to deal with than the covenant. Outside of Halo 1 with the pistols, I always thought the Hunters were the hardest enemies to deal with, especially if you don't have room to move around (like in the High Charity Stages).
Eh.... the flood were much more annoying because they're generally the "throw themselves in horrifyingly high numbers at you" versus the Covenant. The vast majority of deaths in my Halo playthroughs that feel earned were from the covenant (those asshole Jackal snipers in New Mombasa aside), whereas the Flood is almost always because of getting overwhelmed/making a simple mistake in a level that is more inherently designed to be claustrophobic.

Hunters are especially easy to deal with since they're so slow IMO.

I need to play through Halo campaigns again though... (and I still have never finished ODST for some reason)...

volbound1700

Smash Master
His focus was on getting to the humans to make sure they didn't activate the rings, because if they were successful in lighting the Halos then it wouldn't matter how many planets he had taken over.
Yeah but why not leave a ship or two behind for contingency to take over other systems. It is not like taking the entire Flood to the Ark was going to stop it.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Yeah but why not leave a ship or two behind for contingency to take over other systems. It is not like taking the entire Flood to the Ark was going to stop it.
Although he was smart, he still had ego... and mostly panicked. It was life and death situation. There was no guarantee that he could reach Ark in time to stop Truth by himself. This kind of scenario happen a lot in real life. When people panic, they throw away logic and act irrational. If Gravemind secured the safest place from Halo Array, he could later just spread infection from Ark. It was miracle that Chief managed to damage High Charity and blow up Halo again.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Eh.... the flood were much more annoying because they're generally the "throw themselves in horrifyingly high numbers at you" versus the Covenant. The vast majority of deaths in my Halo playthroughs that feel earned were from the covenant (those asshole Jackal snipers in New Mombasa aside), whereas the Flood is almost always because of getting overwhelmed/making a simple mistake in a level that is more inherently designed to be claustrophobic.

Hunters are especially easy to deal with since they're so slow IMO.

I need to play through Halo campaigns again though... (and I still have never finished ODST for some reason)...
Hunters in Halo 1 are a joke with the pistol but in later games they get tougher. Their armor is a challenge. They are especially a pain in Halo 2's High Charity levels where you have very small space to move around in the tight corridors.

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
Hunters in Halo 1 are a joke with the pistol but in later games they get tougher. Their armor is a challenge. They are especially a pain in Halo 2's High Charity levels where you have very small space to move around in the tight corridors.
To be fair, Hunters in Halo 1 suffered from a bug in which their bodies equaled their head.

Still doesn't kill the whole point, or the fact the Halo 1 pistol was one of the best weapons in the game.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
They were the easiest Hunters to do the whole "circle around while melee punching them from behind to death" too, even if you didn't have the magnum on you. With how brutal the Covenant in CE could be compared to later games though, I'm not complaining.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Rumor has it Microsoft is going to port The Master Chief Collection to Switch, that might be what gets Chief in Smash, promoting MCC on Switch.

ranmanon

Smash Cadet
Apparently Gamestop has some unnamed titles for the switch coming up:

And also a date for FP5 just appeared

Hopefully one of them is MCC (or just CEA) and then we can hope for Chief to get announced in Smash.

Last edited:

Xehanort1372019

Smash Journeyman
Apparently Gamespot has some unnamed titles for the switch coming up:

And also a date for FP5 just appeared

Hopefully one of them is MCC (or just CEA) and then we can hope for Chief to get announced in Smash.
Say, friend, where did you find that second pic? The Eshop one.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I have a feeling Master Chief might be #75 though don't ask me why that is. I never played a Halo game, but Chief is more than deserving to enter Smash's halls being basically the mascot of the Xbox brand and being the face of the first person shooter genre in general. I would welcome him with open arms.

Last edited:

KillerCage

Smash Master
i found this cool video for Chief check it out
I liked this guy's ideas for Chief's standard attack, forward tilt, forward aerial, back aerial, all of the throws, and up special.
Everything else regarding the moveset is either not how I think they would be implemented or can be replaced by something unique to the Halo series.
A good example would be a throw-able bubble shield as the down special.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
This is the best video I've seen on Chief's overall inclusion into Smash. I think he's going in the right direction with Chief's moveset/feel and I liked the additional content he talked about possibly being added.

Cruelcumber

Smash Cadet
I have to agree with KillerCage KillerCage here that some of these ideas are decent, but others are not that good. Giving Chief a counter for a down special would be awful, the Energy Sword being locked to a special isn't ideal either, and the inaccurate portrayal of the Needler is another disservice here. I do like his ideas for throws that Chief could use though, and I do think that the Plasma Grenades should be included in Chief's kit if he ever makes it into Smash. Sure I could see Sakurai also creating some new moves for Chief too like that leg sweep for a down tilt and the Superman punch for an up aerial, although this guy's idea of a Nair for Chief being him erratically spinning around is questionable at best.

Personally for unique mechanics, I think that Chief should have more of an ammo-count to his weapons in general. Likewise I think that he could have a unique shield based off of Armor Lock from Reach to help him stand out more.

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
This is parody I had in mind for awhile. Who knows this will become true?

Master Chief: What's he been doing?

Kratos: Absolutely nothing.

Mario: Where are the discs?

Master Chief: Somewhere under all this. All I know is he doesn't have them.

Mario: So we keep it that way.

Kratos: You know it's a trap, right?

Master Chief: Yeah, I don't much care.

Kratos: Good. Just as long as we're all in agreement

[Summons Mjolnir and Leviathan]

Kratos: Let's kill him properly this time.

Atari: You could not live with your own failure. Where did that bring you? Back to me. I thought by eliminating half of all games the other half would thrive without threat gaming crash, but you have shown me... that's impossible. As long as there are those that remember what was, there will always be those that are unable to accept what can be. They will resist.

Master Chief: Yeah, we're all kinds of stubborn.

Atari: I'm thankful. Because now I know what I must do. I will shred this industry down to its last data and then, with the discs you've collected for me, I will create a new one. Teeming with games that know not what is lost but only knows what it is been given... a grateful industry.

Mario: Born out of mess.

Atari: They'll never know it. Because you won't be alive to tell them.

[Kratos charges in with electricity surging. Master Chief takes out his energy sword. Mario attacks with his turtle shield.]

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
While I can't see Chief being revealed without an eastern-centric character to balance him out, I'm jazzed to see whoever this is!

ranmanon

Smash Cadet
Sir....I’m gonna finish this fight (if him anyway)
Anyway good luck guys hope for the best
I'm still strong on my theory that Chief might be first post-pass character, so maybe, just maybe, FP5 is somebody else, then after the entire thing is over, we get a tease of Chief being confirmed for Smash.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
While I can't see Chief being revealed without an eastern-centric character to balance him out, I'm jazzed to see whoever this is!
No offense to Japanese fans, but more than half of sales come from non-Japanese territory, so does Sakurai really have to be concerned about that? And it's not like Halo is completely non-existent in Japan either. After all, Halo had Japanese studio making animes out of it. We had characters that made westerners think who? before... and vice versa.

PsychoJosh

Whenever they announce an announcement I get the same feeling as if they just announced an F5 tornado is on its way.

It's not gonna be anyone cool like Goemon or Master Chief. I brace for it to be a disaaster every time.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
No offense to Japanese fans, but more than half of sales come from non-Japanese territory, so does Sakurai really have to be concerned about that? And it's not like Halo is completely non-existent in Japan either. After all, Halo had Japanese studio making animes out of it. We had characters that made westerners think who? before... and vice versa.
That and Ridley and little Mac got in

ranmanon

Smash Cadet
People take this "Japan doesn't care about Halo" thing a bit too far, like yeah, it isn't a system seller or has a massive japanese community, but Halo has made a small impact there, 3 sold well and had an active community in japan back when it was released, not to mention like you said all the media and other things, they know who Halo and Master Chief are.
Besides, if Smash is truly a celebration of gaming, then why just pander to Japan?

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
People take this "Japan doesn't care about Halo" thing a bit too far, like yeah, it isn't a system seller or has a massive japanese community, but Halo has made a small impact there, 3 sold well and had an active community in japan back when it was released, not to mention like you said all the media and other things, they know who Halo and Master Chief are.
Besides, if Smash is truly a celebration of gaming, then why just pander to Japan?
Plus, the West is just as important to gaming history as Japan, perhaps even more so, as without the West, video games as we know them won't exist

Top Bottom