• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I need a weapon" - Master Chief

SneakyLink

NNID
bne9635
Switch FC
SW-6259-3694-6593
I am not sure why Nintendo can't just read boards, look at YouTube, etc. and figure out the characters people want. No one was asking for Joker and Terry. Why didn't Nintendo add Geno or Crash? Crap even Tails from Sonic the Hedgehog would have been a better pick than both Joker and Terry. They were the characters no one wanted.
Not every character has to appeal to the mass fandom (even the ones that do don't apply to everyone). Look at Plant. It was the only character where I think there wasn't even a thread for prior to its reveal (though how many expected a Piranha Plant to be playable before its reveal?).
Also a character being popular isn't the only reason for getting in (though it can be for say... Banjo). Rather, it is if the character is fun to play (Sakurai's words, not mine) though I suspect there are other factors behind the scenes (i.e. cost effectiveness and licensing. They ain't cheap!)

But let's break into a new topic to have a bit of fun.

(why is the price 54.99?)
Let us assume this is the structure for the next DLC. Who do you pick?
My answers:
1. Master Chief
2. Geno
3. Reimu
4. Bandanna Waddle Dee
5. Otto Matic

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I am not sure why Nintendo can't just read boards, look at YouTube, etc. and figure out the characters people want. No one was asking for Joker and Terry. Why didn't Nintendo add Geno or Crash? Crap even Tails from Sonic the Hedgehog would have been a better pick than both Joker and Terry. They were the characters no one wanted.
There are a number of reasons.

One reason is that character desires ebb and flow with the passage of time. What people were requesting last year or even a couple of years ago may not be exactly the same as what they're requesting this year. By the time Smash 4 was over, characters like Steve from Minecraft were considered no-hopers and weren't even on people's radar. Cut to today where there is a number of memeposters wanting him in just for the lulz aspect of it. Yearly wishlists are never quite the same and Sakurai is in a position where he has to think ahead of the trends.

Joker is more of a trendy pick based on what people wanted in Japan, but Terry is a legacy pick who is very much "that guy" as far as SNK is concerned, and Sakurai wanted to pay tribute to one of his favorite fighting game franchises. I could criticize his character choices but I can't say I wouldn't do the same thing in his shoes, picking characters only I'd like to see while occasionally throwing the fans a bone.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
There were plenty of people who wanted both Joker and Terry. And those who didn’t learned to love the characters. You are fine to voice your opinion but please keep in mind that these characters have fans who supported them before they were revealed. Saying “No one wanted them” is simply not true.

volbound1700

Smash Master
Warned for double posting
Not every character has to appeal to the mass fandom (even the ones that do don't apply to everyone). Look at Plant. It was the only character where I think there wasn't even a thread for prior to its reveal (though how many expected a Piranha Plant to be playable before its reveal?).
Also a character being popular isn't the only reason for getting in (though it can be for say... Banjo). Rather, it is if the character is fun to play (Sakurai's words, not mine) though I suspect there are other factors behind the scenes (i.e. cost effectiveness and licensing. They ain't cheap!)

My answers:
1. Master Chief
2. Geno
3. Reimu
4. Bandanna Waddle Dee
5. Otto Matic
Character I want - Rayman
Character I don't know much but want to please fans - Isaac (Golden Sun)
Character to make a friend happy - Master Chief
Character to help underrated series - Amaertsu (sp) Capcom series Okama
Character from Left Field - I think a PC series like Lothar from Warcraft

Sorry if this is a double post. It is hard to tell sometimes and I think it is a dumb rule as long as people aren't spamming.

I tend to want characters that are popular on here for one. I think Smashboards is a good health check of the fanbase. Geno for example has the most posts and interest now followed by perhaps Shantae. If I was running Smash, they would be my next two FP characters. I also want characters that my friends know and would go wow about. Master Chief and Doomguy fit that bill.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Sorry if this is a double post. It is hard to tell sometimes and I think it is a dumb rule as long as people aren't spamming.

I tend to want characters that are popular on here for one. I think Smashboards is a good health check of the fanbase. Geno for example has the most posts and interest now followed by perhaps Shantae. If I was running Smash, they would be my next two FP characters. I also want characters that my friends know and would go wow about. Master Chief and Doomguy fit that bill.
The issue is that post count doesn't necessarily equal popularity. Oftentimes it's just the same few people posting in them, or even worse, using it as a general social thread unrelated to the character it's about.

volbound1700

Smash Master
The issue is that post count doesn't necessarily equal popularity. Oftentimes it's just the same few people posting in them, or even worse, using it as a general social thread unrelated to the character it's about.
Yeah put if a character is being talked about day after day on here, there is an interest. I don't think there was much of a thread on here for Joker or Terry. I don't remember seeing one.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
Yeah put if a character is being talked about day after day on here, there is an interest. I don't think there was much of a thread on here for Joker or Terry. I don't remember seeing one.
Joker definitely had one. It was on the smaller side, but was tight knit. Terry had one too but I didn't really follow it. The thing to remember is that in the case of Joker, even Joker fans thought he would literally never happen. The thread lived off the "but wouldn't it be cool if" factor.

People don't talk about things as much if they don't think it has a chance. It's the same reason why a bigger thread tends to react more negatively if their character isn't playable: they set high expectations that couldn't be met.

Regardless this is straying pretty far from Chief, so I'll add in that Chief would be awesome. He's one of those characters who feels about as big as Mario or Sonic.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Character I want: Earthworm Jim
Character I don't want but would add just to throw fans a bone: Shantae
Character for friend: Lip (Panel de Pon)
Character for underrepresented franchise: Dr. Eggman
"Joke" Character: Tetrimino (Tetris)

volbound1700

Smash Master
Joker definitely had one. It was on the smaller side, but was tight knit. Terry had one too but I didn't really follow it. The thing to remember is that in the case of Joker, even Joker fans thought he would literally never happen. The thread lived off the "but wouldn't it be cool if" factor.

People don't talk about things as much if they don't think it has a chance. It's the same reason why a bigger thread tends to react more negatively if their character isn't playable: they set high expectations that couldn't be met.

Regardless this is straying pretty far from Chief, so I'll add in that Chief would be awesome. He's one of those characters who feels about as big as Mario or Sonic.
Haha not really. The point is that Sakurai is putting in obscure characters from Japan and it doesn't look like Master Chief has a chance even though the reaction of his reveal would be more popular and get more attention than even Banjo, Sonic, or Snake. Master Chief is an icon of gaming but Nintendo won't do it. I honestly think Nintendo could get anyone for Smash and you can think the icons that they already have in like Mario, Pikachu, Link, Donkey Kong, Sonic, Pacman, Megaman, Ryu, and Cloud for that.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Haha not really. The point is that Sakurai is putting in obscure characters from Japan and it doesn't look like Master Chief has a chance even though the reaction of his reveal would be more popular and get more attention than even Banjo, Sonic, or Snake. Master Chief is an icon of gaming but Nintendo won't do it. I honestly think Nintendo could get anyone for Smash and you can think the icons that they already have in like Mario, Pikachu, Link, Donkey Kong, Sonic, Pacman, Megaman, Ryu, and Cloud for that.
Have you considered that Nintendo fans aren't Halo fans or fans of shooters in general? The fact is, Chief was never popular with Smash fans.
Multiple polls if given the choice between Banjo, Steve and Chief, Chief loses in a majority of them. As sad as this might sound, Chief was never popular for Smash.

The fact that most people didn't even consider Chief in Smash until that "audio leak" happened really should say everything.

KillerCage

Smash Master

My answers:
1. Master Chief
2. Geno
3. Reimu
4. Bandanna Waddle Dee
5. Otto Matic
Here's mine:
1. Master Chief/Doom Slayer
2. Geno
3. Sol Badguy
4. Phoenix Wright
5. Goomba

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
Holy hell, that final smash would be AMAZING. Either that or a direct shot from a MAC Cannon. THAT would hurt.

This is my first post here that wasn't a like, so hey everyone!
I'll admit, I'm more of a fan of Doomguy because of his legacy, but I love Master Chief. You have no idea. Been playing Halo since I was six years old, and even now I'm still playing it through MCC PC. Fair to say that it's been pretty much with me my entire life. Messing around with killballs on Reach, making racetracks on both Halo 3 and Reach, messing around with Forge in general and custom Firefight.
I remember triggering the Siege of Madrigal easter egg on The Covenant, desperately trying to see the Marty easter eggs on Halo and Kikowani Station. Trying so hard to hijack a banshee in Halo 2 to get up to the Scarab Gun and... failing badly, lol.

God, so much fun. It's such a childhood-defining set of games. I honestly don't know where I'd be without it.

While Doomguy is the grandaddy of FPS akin to Dragon Quest and JRPGs, Halo is where it really became something else. Much more than a "Doom clone".
I have a much more stronger connection to Halo, and if we don't get Doomguy then I'd happily support the Chief.

Add me to the Support List, damn it.

My ideas for Chief:
Classic-Mode: Could be a "gaming icons" beat-em-up. Mario, Sonic, then it moves on to characters like Cloud and Crash (if he ever makes it in). Ideally it would have Chief up against each company's mascot. It would make sense, seeing as he's the mascot of Microsoft.

Spirits: This one is fairly easy. Arbiter, Shipmaster (Rtas Vadum), Sergeant Johnson, Cortana, Lord Keyes, maybe Miranda/Captain Keyes too. I'd also add some extras like Grunts, Flood spores and even the Gravemind. Halo's rich with characters, it's not like they'll struggle with spirit battles.
The Grunt spirit-battle for example could have the opponents (maybe someone like Kirby) start with the sticky bombs to both represent suicide grunts and how often they throw plasma grenades in general.

Tracks: This one is easy too. Finish the Fight, One Final Effort, Earth City, Tip of the Spear, 117, On A Pale Horse.. The possibilities are endless.
I'd love Rock Anthem for Saving the World and Skyline to be there too, that'd be awesome.
Doom may have created the FPS as we know it, but Halo is what really brought it to the mainstream. I'd argue the success of Halo: Combat Evolved is what sparked the FPS boom of the 2000s

And Halo 2 is what's responsible for popularizing online multiplayer.

As for songs, yes to Rock Anthem For Saving The World, and also Blow Me Away if Sakurai can get the rights to it

Have you considered that Nintendo fans aren't Halo fans or fans of shooters in general? The fact is, Chief was never popular with Smash fans.
Multiple polls if given the choice between Banjo, Steve and Chief, Chief loses in a majority of them. As sad as this might sound, Chief was never popular for Smash.

The fact that most people didn't even consider Chief in Smash until that "audio leak" happened really should say everything.
Splatoon's a shooter and that has been really popular, Metroid Prime also counts, as it plays like a shooter, as does Star Fox, also let's not forget a small little known game called GOLDENEYE. Your point is invalid.

volbound1700

Smash Master

I would consider myself a Nintendo fan since I own an NES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, and Switch. Still, I respect Halo's reputation in the industry. Also the last time I checked, Cloud, Joker, and Terry don't appear on Nintendo consoles very often or at all.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace

To be fair, no one really thought Chief had a chance until Microsoft and Nintendo became "buddy buddy." Plus, you are definitely right, most Smash/Nintendo fans would want Banjo over Chief at the start. Even Minecraft. Main reason? They were on the Nintendo consoles, therefore being more recognizable than Chief to the Nintendo fans.

Things are definitely a lot different now than they were. Banjo is in. Microsoft seems to be interested in sharing there games with everyone. Now that they have actually talked, it makes sense that Master Chief would be brought up. Halo made console shooters. In my opinion, Halo 2 created online gaming for console players. I think Halo/Master Chief represents more to gaming history than most would give him credit. Doom Slayer may be the father of the FPS, but Master Chief popularized it for the console gamer.

(I don't understand the high price either, lol)

1. Master Chief
2. Man, this one is tough for me... Um... Shantae I guess? I don't know anything about her, but a ton of people like her.
3. Crono from Chrono Trigger
4. Crash Bandicoot/Kratos(Let's give PlayStation some love)
5. Virtual Boy Fighter

Last edited:

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman

My answers:
1. Master Chief
2. Geno
3. Reimu
4. Bandanna Waddle Dee
5. Otto Matic
1. Master Chief
2. Crash
3. Decidueye
4. Tails or Mighty (from Sonic)
5. Hammer Bro Spiny Koopaling

ranmanon

Smash Cadet

My answers:
1. Master Chief
2. Geno
3. Reimu
4. Bandanna Waddle Dee
5. Otto Matic
Master Chief or Marco Rossi
Lyndis
Crash Bandicoot
Black Shadow (F-Zero)
Vault Boy from Fallout

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
So, I have been playing some MCC lately(it has really turned around since launch!). I was curious, have any of you came up with a potential move list for Master Chief? I know that we have some on the front page, but I was wondering if anyone has thought more about every move, not just Final Smashes? Would love to hear them!

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
So, I have been playing some MCC lately(it has really turned around since launch!). I was curious, have any of you came up with a potential move list for Master Chief? I know that we have some on the front page, but I was wondering if anyone has thought more about every move, not just Final Smashes? Would love to hear them!
I think it would be cool if Chief has the Magnum, by default. Like Joker's Gun™, it would do more damage/hitstun the closer Chief is to his opponent. However, he would be able to cancel gunshots into melee attacks, like in the Halo games. So at close enough range, he could confirm Magnum shots into his normals, creating cool openings and combo extensions. This would also encourage him to use his gun aggressively, rather than camp out his opponent with it.

My other idea is that his down+b would be allow him to switch weapons. I think it would make the most sense if he had two weapons, like in all the games. One would be the Magnum, as I explained, and the other would be the Energy Sword. His melee attacks, like in Halo, would mostly consist of hitting people with his weapons; the kicker is that the Magnum is faster and has better combo-potential, while the sword has more range and damage.

I think a weapon-switching mechanic that affects his normals would reflect how Halo gives you two weapons to cover different situations. Also, it would give him a cool moveset-changing mechanic like Vega in Street Fighter 5.

inb4 they put chief in but he's belmont 2.0

Last edited:

3DSNinja

Smash Lord

My answers:
1. Master Chief
2. Geno
3. Reimu
4. Bandanna Waddle Dee
5. Otto Matic
My answers:
Shadow
Chief
Geno
Dee
Freddy Fazbear

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Here’s one moveset I did a long while back:

Unique mechanic: Energy Shield: This mechanic is shown over Master Chief’s damage counter. The Energy Shield works as super armor, but it’s only the most effective against projectiles. The drawback is that the Overshield depletes with every blow taken, melee attacks much more so than projectiles. If it is depleted, it needs about 5 seconds without taking damage to recharge.
Jab: A left punch, then a right kick, and finishes with an overhead strike with his rifle.
Side tilt: Pistol whip.
Up tilt: Throws a plasma grenade over him that detonates midair, but Chief is not caught in the explosion.
Down tilt: Sweep kick.
Dash attack: Forward lunge with energy sword.
N-air: 360 roundhouse kick.
U-air: Swings rifle over him.
D-air: Shoots rocket launcher downwards. Has high kickback that can be used for recovery.
F-air: Uses shotgun. Has a decaying hitbox as it goes out.
B-air: Hits opponent with the butt of his rifle.
Edge attack: Sliding kick.
Side smash: Horizontal slash with energy sword. Trajectory can be changed.
Up smash: Fires assault rifle overhead.
Down smash: Slams a Gravity Hammer on the ground. Has immense knockback.
Grab: One handed-grab.
Pummel: Pistol whip.
Front throw: Shotgun blasts the opponent.
Back throw: Places plasma grenade on opponent’s back, jumps back then shoots the grenade.
Up throw: Uppercuts them with the Gravity Hammer.
Down throw: Places them stomach down then shoots the Needler at their back a la Charizard’s down throw, the final shot sending the opponent flying.
Neutral B: MA5B Assault Rifle: Master Chief enters a state similar to Breegull Blaster. Master Chief will fire if the player holds B and he can move while firing as well. Master Chief can also change trajectory, similarly to Splattershot. The assault rifle holds up to 60 rounds and fires at an equivalent of 15 rounds per second, with an ammo cap of 660. When Master Chief launches an opponent, they have a chance to drop a clip for Master Chief’s assault rifle. This clip is automatically picked up when Master Chief passes by it. Press X to jump while firing. The problem with this move is that the Assault Rifle shares the same hitbox properties as other realistic guns in Smash, and once a clip is spent, he must reload. While reloading Master Chief can dodge/shield out of this state.
Side B: Plasma Grenade: Throws a plasma grenade at his opponents. Grenade itself works similarly to Gooey Bombs, but can’t be picked up. Downside is that Chief can be damaged by the blast.
Up B: Thruster Pack: Chief uses the Thruster Pack to propel himself in any direction. Has good distance, but increases the size of his hurtbox.
Down B: Active Camouflage: Turns invisible. Will deactivate in 10 seconds, if Master Chief attacks, or is attacked. If one of Master Chief’s attack lands while invisible, the first hit will do increased damage. Also has a cooldown of 15 seconds.
Final Smash: Spartan Laser: Master Chief equips the Spartan Laser, which has 5 shots. The shots themselves work like Zelda’s Light Arrows and will stop upon contact with the environment, however you carry the weapon like a Daybreak. It takes a long time to fire, though, so time your shots well.

Again, I made this moveset a long time ago, so there might be some outdated stuff here.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman

Unique mechanic: Energy Shield: This mechanic is shown over Master Chief’s damage counter. The Energy Shield works as super armor, but it’s only the most effective against projectiles. The drawback is that the Overshield depletes with every blow taken, melee attacks much more so than projectiles. If it is depleted, it needs about 5 seconds without taking damage to recharge.
Jab: A left punch, then a right kick, and finishes with an overhead strike with his rifle.
Up tilt: Throws a plasma grenade over him that detonates midair, but Chief is not caught in the explosion.
D-air: Shoots rocket launcher downwards. Has high kickback that can be used for recovery.
Back throw: Places plasma grenade on opponent’s back, jumps back then shoots the grenade.
Down throw: Places them stomach down then shoots the Needler at their back a la Charizard’s down throw, the final shot sending the opponent flying.
Neutral B: MA5B Assault Rifle: Master Chief enters a state similar to Breegull Blaster. Master Chief will fire if the player holds B and he can move while firing as well. Master Chief can also change trajectory, similarly to Splattershot. The assault rifle holds up to 60 rounds and fires at an equivalent of 15 rounds per second, with an ammo cap of 660. When Master Chief launches an opponent, they have a chance to drop a clip for Master Chief’s assault rifle. This clip is automatically picked up when Master Chief passes by it. Press X to jump while firing. The problem with this move is that the Assault Rifle shares the same hitbox properties as other realistic guns in Smash, and once a clip is spent, he must reload. While reloading Master Chief can dodge/shield out of this state.
Side B: Plasma Grenade: Throws a plasma grenade at his opponents. Grenade itself works similarly to Gooey Bombs, but can’t be picked up. Downside is that Chief can be damaged by the blast.
Up B: Thruster Pack: Chief uses the Thruster Pack to propel himself in any direction. Has good distance, but increases the size of his hurtbox.
Down B: Active Camouflage: Turns invisible. Will deactivate in 10 seconds, if Master Chief attacks, or is attacked. If one of Master Chief’s attack lands while invisible, the first hit will do increased damage. Also has a cooldown of 15 seconds.
Final Smash: Spartan Laser: Master Chief equips the Spartan Laser, which has 5 shots. The shots themselves work like Zelda’s Light Arrows and will stop upon contact with the environment, however you carry the weapon like a Daybreak. It takes a long time to fire, though, so time your shots well.

Again, I made this moveset a long time ago, so there might be some outdated stuff here.
In terms of recharging the energy shield, not taking damage for 5 seconds may be tough--especially on 8-player matches. Maybe it could recharge regardless of damage, but take longer?

Either way, this is a way more fleshed out moveset than the ideas I posted. Down B is especially nutty. Thanks for the read!

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
I've come up with most of a moveset in great detail but I still need to determine and possibly change some things. However, seeing as you've asked, I'll show it in this spoiler.
* Attacks
Neutral Attack
; With one press of the button does elbow bash with good knock-back. Can be pressed repeatedly to pull out and fire an AR which will 'hold' the hit opponent momentarily. Initial hit can KO at high percent on the ledge.
Dash attack; Thruster shoulder bash. Sends opponent primarily laterally/diagonally. KO move around 130% at ledge. (similar to Samus dash-attack).
Up tilt; Slash sword upward. Can KO at high percent. (like Marth up-tilt)
Side tilt; Energy sword lunge. Good knock-back and range in front of Chief but slow start-up. KO's at ledge around 100%.
Down tilt; Forward slide attack.
Up air; Bring back to the ground, firing CE pistol up at the air. Can be pressed in succession three times and if all hit there is a very good chance you'll KO opponent if they are near the blast-zone as early as 80%. High start-up and end-lag.
Dair; Thruster down diagonally with fist forward to slam into ground while fiery-meteor affect surrounds Chief. Can spike opponent at any point during attack while moving and landing the fist sweet-spot. Has a landing hit-box around Chief with decent knock-back. Doesn't snap to ledge. High start-up and end-lag.
Fair; Combines both of his hands, forming a fist and forcibly pulling his arms down to spike the opponent diagonally downward.
Bair; Thrust gravity-hammer behind, propelling him forward and acting as a good knock-out move. Can easily KO at ledge around 80%. Has a small wind-box outside of hit-box. Some end-lag.
Nair; Slash energy sword, starting in front of Chief, for good coverage around him (similar to Cloud Nair). Would be his main spacing tool in the air as its his most lagless with good range and disjoint.
Side smash; Pulls out shotgun, the longer its charged the more damage and slightly further it goes. Knock-back is minimally affect by charging. With the least charge having a blank range comparable to Halo 3 and the longest range being similar in distance to Miigunner's S-smash. KOs around 90% at ledge.
Down smash; Gravity hammer slam doing more damage and knock-back the closer opponents are. Has a decent sized 'wind' box.
Up smash; Pulls out plasma-caster and aims it up in air. During the first second of charging if you let it go it will be a simple plasma grenade that goes up a short distance then comes down and sticks to anyone who comes near it and releases an explosion. If charging for over a second the weapon's panels will come out and at that point if you release the 'smash' a big plasma ball will shoot upward relatively slowly and continue until out of the map or sticking to someone, in which case after a short second a big powerful explosion will ensue, doing big damage and likely knocking out the stuck character or anyone nearby.
Neutral special; As you hold on, pulls out and charges Spartan Laser for a few seconds as you aim it up or down in front of you until it fully charges up and releases. Laser goes full length of the map if not obstructed but damage and knock-back varies throughout the move depending on distance. Usually if the person is next to the blast-zone they will be KO'd. Otherwise, it can usually KO around 100%. High start-up and end-lag, making it an overall difficult but rewarding move to use.
Tapping neutral special will instead pull out a plasma pistol that you can walk around and jump with (similar to Banjo-Kazooie N-special when held). A shot can be fired every time B is tapped and the projectiles will act much like Megaman's 'lemons'. When plasma pistol is held you can also hold on to N-special to charge a bigger shot which will now lightly track the opponent at a medium speed and stun them for a second if it hits (similar to Corrin N-special). Can 'elbow bash' with N-attack while still holding plasma pistol but if pressed multiple times, taking out the AR, the plasma pistol will no longer be held. You can also cancel the plasma pistol by shielding or grabbing.
Side special; Toss out frag grenade, like Snake, but is thrown immediately. When hitting something it'll bounce then explode when it lands on something again or is in the air a full second. If hit anytime with an attack before then it'll explode immediately. As you press the attack you can quickly choose its thrown trajectory as its released. Frag can be swapped to plasma grenade by holding shield and pressing special button. Plasma grenade is 'heavier' and won't bounce unless hitting a vertical wall. Will stick to opponent and explode a second later. Frag grenade can KO at high percent by the ledge and earlier offstage while plasma grenade KOs even earlier at about 100% if stuck on opponent. Can only have 1 grenade out at a time during battle.
Down special; Chief takes a couple seconds to summon a Promethean turret which will last for five shots which it fires one a second. The shots do around 5% and have a small hit-stun. The turret can also be destroyed with one hit.
OR
Chief lays down mine in front of him. Explodes when touched or hit by anything and will also go off at around 20 seconds.
OR
Bring up (Forerunner) shield
Up special; Use back-thrusters like a jet-pack, providing a short burst of lift which Chief can immediately act out of with an air dodge or any attack. Still vulnerable through whole move. Similar in distance to Samus' recovery.
OR
Shoot a rocket downward and give Chief a short boost into the air while doing decent damage to anyone caught in the little explosion. Can still use various attacks before landing. When grounded, will do self-percent(or)shield-damage(?). Can air-dodge after animation. High start-up when grounded and high end-lag when landing on stage.
* Mechanics
Bubble-Shield
; When shielding, Chief quickly slams down bubble-shield. This has a similar affect to Yoshi's shield in that it can't be shield poked. Shield deploys yellow but quickly turns blue then turns more and more red as it takes damage before popping.
Energy Shield Mechanic; Any projectiles are absorbed by the shield, negating any damage and knock-back, until it takes too much damage and dissipates. Taking damage from normal physical attacks will also drain the shield while only reducing damage from attacks by 10%. Will start recharging after 4 seconds if no damage has been taken and if empty will fully recharge in a matter of 2 seconds.
* Grab Game
Grabs
; Below average range and speed.
Forward throw; Throw opponent decent distance diagonally away then fire AR shots at range.
Back throw; Uses 'Supernova' assassination, sticking a grenade on them then holding on to the foot/back of opponent while swinging them and letting go behind chief. KO throw at ledge around 100%.
Up throw; Throw up into the air then fire off a concussion-rifle shot. Has good knock-back and can be used to take opponent out of the map at high percents around 150%.
Down throw; Throw opponent to the ground then shoot them with a needler, followed by a pink explosion that sends them off a short distance forward. Meant as your high damage throw
* Movement
Crouch
; A slow crouch animation where Chief bends his legs and can slowly walk low to the ground. (functions so that 'teabagging' is possible and true in form to the Halo games)
Jumps; Has your average double jump but second jump shows thrusters in the back being activated, just like Samus'.
Rolls; Evades using back thrusters.
Dodges; Spot-Dodge is a simple body shift and will do a similar thing with a normal air dodge. Chief's directional Air-Dodge is one of the better ones in the game, having a very good initial speed and overall distance as he uses his thrusters.
Groundspeed; Slow. When running, activates thrusters.
Airspeed; Slow and Floaty
Weight; Heavy (108 like Samus)
* Animations/Functionality
Match-start animation
; Comes down in an ODST drop pod, weapons in hand as he steps out.
Up taunt; Reaches for for Cortana's chip then holds it out in-front as Cortana shows up on top of it.
Side taunt; Chief holds up his AR as he says, “Not close enough”
Down taunt; Moves fist to the ground as Chief says “Don't get any funny ideas”, doing armor lock animation. Super armor when still(?)

* Analysis
Synopsis
; (Still need to determine some things about the character before I write this up but I have notes on the difficulty of the character)
Difficulty of use; Medium-Hard
While having many powerful and versatile moves/tools Chief's moveset is also not as straight-forward as you'd think, needing multiple actions to reach a desired affect or careful spacing while reading an opponent to get the final blow because of the lag and slowness on many of his moves. One such example being the recovery which in itself for the sole purpose of recovering is mediocre but when combined with his excellent directional air-dodge or the fact that he can use any attack after U-special actually gives his recovery as a whole great versatility and power with the right mind controlling it.
Fighter Classification; Powerhouse/Zoner
Again, I haven't figured everything out so I left out some minor details like the Final Smash but there has been some interesting discussion on that point just earlier in the thread.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I seriously hope the rumours about Master Chief Collection on Switch are true.

Always wanted to get into Halo, but couldn’t since I have never been able to own a Xbox device.

KillerCage

Smash Master
My experience with Halo is limited to the first two Halo games on PC and a few outside media such as Halo Legends and Forward upon Dawn (please correct me on this.)

It also got me into a little webseries...

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
I think it would be cool if Chief has the Magnum, by default. Like Joker's Gun™, it would do more damage/hitstun the closer Chief is to his opponent. However, he would be able to cancel gunshots into melee attacks, like in the Halo games. So at close enough range, he could confirm Magnum shots into his normals, creating cool openings and combo extensions. This would also encourage him to use his gun aggressively, rather than camp out his opponent with it.

My other idea is that his down+b would be allow him to switch weapons. I think it would make the most sense if he had two weapons, like in all the games. One would be the Magnum, as I explained, and the other would be the Energy Sword. His melee attacks, like in Halo, would mostly consist of hitting people with his weapons; the kicker is that the Magnum is faster and has better combo-potential, while the sword has more range and damage.

I think a weapon-switching mechanic that affects his normals would reflect how Halo gives you two weapons to cover different situations. Also, it would give him a cool moveset-changing mechanic like Vega in Street Fighter 5.

inb4 they put chief in but he's belmont 2.0
Oh, I dig this a lot.

Good stuff here as well!
I've come up with most of a moveset in great detail but I still need to determine and possibly change some things. However, seeing as you've asked, I'll show it in this spoiler.
* Attacks
Neutral Attack
; With one press of the button does elbow bash with good knock-back. Can be pressed repeatedly to pull out and fire an AR which will 'hold' the hit opponent momentarily. Initial hit can KO at high percent on the ledge.
Dash attack; Thruster shoulder bash. Sends opponent primarily laterally/diagonally. KO move around 130% at ledge. (similar to Samus dash-attack).
Up tilt; Slash sword upward. Can KO at high percent. (like Marth up-tilt)
Side tilt; Energy sword lunge. Good knock-back and range in front of Chief but slow start-up. KO's at ledge around 100%.
Down tilt; Forward slide attack.
Up air; Bring back to the ground, firing CE pistol up at the air. Can be pressed in succession three times and if all hit there is a very good chance you'll KO opponent if they are near the blast-zone as early as 80%. High start-up and end-lag.
Dair; Thruster down diagonally with fist forward to slam into ground while fiery-meteor affect surrounds Chief. Can spike opponent at any point during attack while moving and landing the fist sweet-spot. Has a landing hit-box around Chief with decent knock-back. Doesn't snap to ledge. High start-up and end-lag.
Fair; Combines both of his hands, forming a fist and forcibly pulling his arms down to spike the opponent diagonally downward.
Bair; Thrust gravity-hammer behind, propelling him forward and acting as a good knock-out move. Can easily KO at ledge around 80%. Has a small wind-box outside of hit-box. Some end-lag.
Nair; Slash energy sword, starting in front of Chief, for good coverage around him (similar to Cloud Nair). Would be his main spacing tool in the air as its his most lagless with good range and disjoint.
Side smash; Pulls out shotgun, the longer its charged the more damage and slightly further it goes. Knock-back is minimally affect by charging. With the least charge having a blank range comparable to Halo 3 and the longest range being similar in distance to Miigunner's S-smash. KOs around 90% at ledge.
Down smash; Gravity hammer slam doing more damage and knock-back the closer opponents are. Has a decent sized 'wind' box.
Up smash; Pulls out plasma-caster and aims it up in air. During the first second of charging if you let it go it will be a simple plasma grenade that goes up a short distance then comes down and sticks to anyone who comes near it and releases an explosion. If charging for over a second the weapon's panels will come out and at that point if you release the 'smash' a big plasma ball will shoot upward relatively slowly and continue until out of the map or sticking to someone, in which case after a short second a big powerful explosion will ensue, doing big damage and likely knocking out the stuck character or anyone nearby.
Neutral special; As you hold on, pulls out and charges Spartan Laser for a few seconds as you aim it up or down in front of you until it fully charges up and releases. Laser goes full length of the map if not obstructed but damage and knock-back varies throughout the move depending on distance. Usually if the person is next to the blast-zone they will be KO'd. Otherwise, it can usually KO around 100%. High start-up and end-lag, making it an overall difficult but rewarding move to use.
Tapping neutral special will instead pull out a plasma pistol that you can walk around and jump with (similar to Banjo-Kazooie N-special when held). A shot can be fired every time B is tapped and the projectiles will act much like Megaman's 'lemons'. When plasma pistol is held you can also hold on to N-special to charge a bigger shot which will now lightly track the opponent at a medium speed and stun them for a second if it hits (similar to Corrin N-special). Can 'elbow bash' with N-attack while still holding plasma pistol but if pressed multiple times, taking out the AR, the plasma pistol will no longer be held. You can also cancel the plasma pistol by shielding or grabbing.
Side special; Toss out frag grenade, like Snake, but is thrown immediately. When hitting something it'll bounce then explode when it lands on something again or is in the air a full second. If hit anytime with an attack before then it'll explode immediately. As you press the attack you can quickly choose its thrown trajectory as its released. Frag can be swapped to plasma grenade by holding shield and pressing special button. Plasma grenade is 'heavier' and won't bounce unless hitting a vertical wall. Will stick to opponent and explode a second later. Frag grenade can KO at high percent by the ledge and earlier offstage while plasma grenade KOs even earlier at about 100% if stuck on opponent. Can only have 1 grenade out at a time during battle.
Down special; Chief takes a couple seconds to summon a Promethean turret which will last for five shots which it fires one a second. The shots do around 5% and have a small hit-stun. The turret can also be destroyed with one hit.
OR
Chief lays down mine in front of him. Explodes when touched or hit by anything and will also go off at around 20 seconds.
OR
Bring up (Forerunner) shield
Up special; Use back-thrusters like a jet-pack, providing a short burst of lift which Chief can immediately act out of with an air dodge or any attack. Still vulnerable through whole move. Similar in distance to Samus' recovery.
OR
Shoot a rocket downward and give Chief a short boost into the air while doing decent damage to anyone caught in the little explosion. Can still use various attacks before landing. When grounded, will do self-percent(or)shield-damage(?). Can air-dodge after animation. High start-up when grounded and high end-lag when landing on stage.
* Mechanics
Bubble-Shield
; When shielding, Chief quickly slams down bubble-shield. This has a similar affect to Yoshi's shield in that it can't be shield poked. Shield deploys yellow but quickly turns blue then turns more and more red as it takes damage before popping.
Energy Shield Mechanic; Any projectiles are absorbed by the shield, negating any damage and knock-back, until it takes too much damage and dissipates. Taking damage from normal physical attacks will also drain the shield while only reducing damage from attacks by 10%. Will start recharging after 4 seconds if no damage has been taken and if empty will fully recharge in a matter of 2 seconds.
* Grab Game
Grabs
; Below average range and speed.
Forward throw; Throw opponent decent distance diagonally away then fire AR shots at range.
Back throw; Uses 'Supernova' assassination, sticking a grenade on them then holding on to the foot/back of opponent while swinging them and letting go behind chief. KO throw at ledge around 100%.
Up throw; Throw up into the air then fire off a concussion-rifle shot. Has good knock-back and can be used to take opponent out of the map at high percents around 150%.
Down throw; Throw opponent to the ground then shoot them with a needler, followed by a pink explosion that sends them off a short distance forward. Meant as your high damage throw
* Movement
Crouch
; A slow crouch animation where Chief bends his legs and can slowly walk low to the ground. (functions so that 'teabagging' is possible and true in form to the Halo games)
Jumps; Has your average double jump but second jump shows thrusters in the back being activated, just like Samus'.
Rolls; Evades using back thrusters.
Dodges; Spot-Dodge is a simple body shift and will do a similar thing with a normal air dodge. Chief's directional Air-Dodge is one of the better ones in the game, having a very good initial speed and overall distance as he uses his thrusters.
Groundspeed; Slow. When running, activates thrusters.
Airspeed; Slow and Floaty
Weight; Heavy (108 like Samus)
* Animations/Functionality
Match-start animation
; Comes down in an ODST drop pod, weapons in hand as he steps out.
Up taunt; Reaches for for Cortana's chip then holds it out in-front as Cortana shows up on top of it.
Side taunt; Chief holds up his AR as he says, “Not close enough”
Down taunt; Moves fist to the ground as Chief says “Don't get any funny ideas”, doing armor lock animation. Super armor when still(?)

* Analysis
Synopsis
; (Still need to determine some things about the character before I write this up but I have notes on the difficulty of the character)
Difficulty of use; Medium-Hard
While having many powerful and versatile moves/tools Chief's moveset is also not as straight-forward as you'd think, needing multiple actions to reach a desired affect or careful spacing while reading an opponent to get the final blow because of the lag and slowness on many of his moves. One such example being the recovery which in itself for the sole purpose of recovering is mediocre but when combined with his excellent directional air-dodge or the fact that he can use any attack after U-special actually gives his recovery as a whole great versatility and power with the right mind controlling it.
Fighter Classification; Powerhouse/Zoner
Again, I haven't figured everything out so I left out some minor details like the Final Smash but there has been some interesting discussion on that point just earlier in the thread.
Wow, everyone has some good ideas!

I am going to have to mix and match and make my own from assorting different aspects of everyone's. I really like each one.
I seriously hope the rumours about Master Chief Collection on Switch are true.

Always wanted to get into Halo, but couldn’t since I have never been able to own a Xbox device.
Hopefully you will get a chance to soon!
My experience with Halo is limited to the first two Halo games on PC and a few outside media such as Halo Legends and Forward upon Dawn (please correct me on this.)

It also got me into a little webseries...
RvB is always good. Didn't make it this far. Just finished the first season mainly. I loved the HMVs the most, I think.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion

My answers:
1. Master Chief
2. Geno
3. Reimu
4. Bandanna Waddle Dee
5. Otto Matic
1. Phoenix Wright
2. Reimu
3. Crash Bandicoot
4. NiGHTS
5. Marina Liteyears

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
More deconfirms from verge (if we are still listing to them anyway)

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/234547-super-smash-bros-ultimate/78258412?jumpto=13#13

We survived again he killed the lust witch morrigan
I've been thinking a lot about these leaks lately. Especially since there hasn't been many that has panned out at all.

With the recent news of Nintendo going after Pokemon leakers, do you think we will continue to see more "I can't say who it is, but it is definitely not [insert character name here]."? I believe this new take is why we are seeing less people get things correctly, and are more just saying "not this" or "halo everyone." Thoughts on this and how it could relate to King Zell and his recent Halo statement?

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
Welp... no one answered my question all the way back. I know there will be people arguing that "hur hur Fall of Reach novel came before first Halo game, so he is a book character!!" Halo: Fall of Reach was first published on October 30, 2001. Halo: Combat Evolved came out on November 15, 2001. But here is the thing. Cover of the novel clearly says "The official prequel to the award-winning Xbox game!" The first novel took 7 months to complete. Obviously, the first game took way longer time to complete. The novel was written with the game in mind from the very beginning. It was meant to supplement the game. It wasn't like developers were using existing IP to develop game.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
I don't think anybody is claiming that Chief is from a book, rather than a game; the latter is what he is known for by far. It's a non-issue

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I don't think anybody is claiming that Chief is from a book, rather than a game; the latter is what he is known for by far. It's a non-issue
You would be surprised how people try to nitpick details here and there. Look at Goku fanboys constantly bringing up "Lucario debuted in anime!"

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
wait seriously?
thats the dumbest reasoning ever.
although both lucario and greninja are heavily based on their anime counterparts, (Sir Aaron's Lucario and Ash-Greninja) they are first and foremost VIDEO GAME CHARACTERS. Same applies to Chief.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
You would be surprised how people try to nitpick details here and there. Look at Goku fanboys constantly bringing up "Lucario debuted in anime!"
wait seriously?
thats the dumbest reasoning ever.
although both lucario and greninja are heavily based on their anime counterparts, (Sir Aaron's Lucario and Ash-Greninja) they are first and foremost VIDEO GAME CHARACTERS. Same applies to Chief.
I guess that's my thing, too. I don't think anyone would consider the books as Chief's starting point. They were released prior to the game, sure, but he is thought of as a video game character, first a foremost.

As for the Lucario discussion, there is also the argument of "He made it in." So, Sakurai must consider Lucario a video game character first, even if his "first appearance" was an anime.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I had a few ideas for some Halo music for Smash Bros.

Halo theme
Halo theme (Mjolnir Mix/Gungir Mix)
Rock Anthem For Saving The World (aka Silent Cartographer)
Blow Me Away (instrumental, if Nintendo can get the rights, if not, I'm open to ideas on Halo 2 music)
Finish The Fight/One Final Effort
Winter Contingency
A track from Halo 4, Halo 5, and Halo Infinite

Last edited:

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
I had a few ideas for some Halo music for Smash Bros.

Halo theme
Halo theme (Mjolnir Mix/Gungir Mix)
Rock Anthem For Saving The World (aka Silent Cartographer)
Blow Me Away (instrumental, if Nintendo can get the rights, if not, I'm open to ideas on Halo 2 music)
Finish The Fight/One Final Effort
Winter Contingecy
A track from Halo 4, Halo 5, and Halo Infinite
Those are good. I think someone aleeady brought Peril.
Stage would be obviously Halo. Showing iconic ring landscape.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Definitely solid music choices. I am gonna listen to some tracks and try to come up with some of my faves as well.

As for stage? Yeah, we need the Halo Ring shown. Not sure where would be the most "iconic" area to show. Gonna have to think on this as well.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I don't know what i would want for a Halo stage to be honest. I play Halo for multiplayer more than the campaigns (like many do I imagine), so I guess I'd rather see one of the more popular or memorable Halo multiplayer maps.

Regardless of what they choose for a stage, one thing I would love is if they got the announcer involved for the stage.

Like, if you KO 2 opponents at once you'll hear "DOUBLE KILL!", or if you're doing team battle with friendly fire on you can hear "BETRAYAL!" if you accidentally KO your teammate.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
I don't know what i would want for a Halo stage to be honest. I play Halo for multiplayer more than the campaigns (like many do I imagine), so I guess I'd rather see one of the more popular or memorable Halo multiplayer maps.

Regardless of what they choose for a stage, one thing I would love is if they got the announcer involved for the stage.

Like, if you KO 2 opponents at once you'll hear "DOUBLE KILL!", or if you're doing team battle with friendly fire on you can hear "BETRAYAL!" if you accidentally KO your teammate.
I would love the idea of an announcer saying that sort of stuff on the Halo map! lol. So good.

As for the actual map? I think a multiplayer one would be great. In my opinion, why not Blood Gulch? Has the Halo Ring in the background, and is one of the most iconic multiplayer maps for early Halo games.

Edit: Listening to some music while I am typing this out. Not wanting to double post. But that Halo Mjolnir Mix is so good. Check it out if you haven't listened to it before. @IanGamer hit the nail on the head with this one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom