• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I need a weapon" - Master Chief

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Uh no. My excitement for a potential Master Chief reveal has absolutely nothing to do with Joker being revealed.

If FP5 wasn't going to be revealed at the game awards then it'd be revealed literally any other time. There is nothing special that Joker did for this.

RingJ5

Smash Ace
Uh no. My excitement for a potential Master Chief reveal has absolutely nothing to do with Joker being revealed.

If FP5 wasn't going to be revealed at the game awards then it'd be revealed literally any other time. There is nothing special that Joker did for this.
Set a precedence for huge, unexpected TGA reveals.

Again, imagine if we got Hero then. That would have been kind of a meh note to start things off on, not even due to the character itself but instead due to the...expectedness, of it all. Absolutely nobody expected Joker, or even expected that it was going to be a Smash reveal to begin with when the trailer started up.

My point is that Joker really started things off on an “anyone can happen” note, which makes larger characters like Chief seem far more likely than they would be if we had a pass that was just... like, Hero, Terry, and Banjo so far.

Last edited:

ranmanon

Smash Cadet
With the whole Xenosaga girl rumor thing getting stronger, maybe Nintendo will do a double announce like Hero and Banjo and showcase that girl as FP5 then announce Master Chief as the first post-pass character.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Seeing a lot of the KOS-MOS hype right now as well. Guess the modded version being pulled down by Nintendo has helped that grow even more.

I am thoroughly stumped by who FP5 is going to be. Feels like a pretty even field of *shrug*. Guess we will see tonight, if there even is an announcement.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
If we dont see Chief at the Game Awards tonight, I think I know where he’ll be

PsychoJosh

Set a precedence for huge, unexpected TGA reveals.

Again, imagine if we got Hero then. That would have been kind of a meh note to start things off on,
Except for the fact that Joker absolutely WAS a "meh note to start things off on". The only people who got excited for him are Persona fans. I really was not able to care less about Joker and know many people who felt the same way and now that we know what his gameplay is like I STILL could not care less about him. There was absolutely nothing to be excited about. Cloud was a huge and unexpected reveal. Following that, Joker was as mediocre and uninteresting as it could possibly get. I still don't know who the hell he is or why he's significant in any way so the fact must be that he just isn't. His reveal assumed a familiarity with his franchise which the vast majority of people in the west do not have.

I don't think you understand why Master Chief is different. The reason Master Chief would be huge is because it would be an unprecedented move for the de-facto mascot of an active rival company to allow their character to appear in Smash. It's a bombshell akin to the first appearance of Sonic in Brawl. Joker does not have anywhere near that kind of pull and he was by no means huge outside of the community that already knows him.

Last edited:

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Yeah, I don't want to throw shade at other characters. There are a lot that are in Smash that I don't really have anything for. But I don't think Joker was a huge hit. Persona fans and Joker fans were ecstatic, but it wasn't a Cloud on Smash or anything. I didn't know who Joker was until after that. For me, it was a "meh" moment. But, like I said, I know there are a lot of people who are the opposite.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Joker doesn’t deserve the shade being thrown around
No characters deserve any shade being thrown, especially ones already in the game.
It's extremely childish and toxic. Keep that **** out of my thread.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, discussion in this thread should be about Chief. Opinions about others characters belong in some other thread.
Remember that a blockbuster character like him would be the exception, not the norm. Try not to feel entitled to it, and definitely don't rope other peoples' characters into the negativity.

PsychoJosh

No characters deserve any shade being thrown, especially ones already in the game.
It's extremely childish and toxic. Keep that **** out of my thread.
You're under no obligation to read any of it and you have no ownership over a thread. People can post what they want as long as it's not against the rules.

Last edited:

volbound1700

Smash Master
I agree that Terry doesnt deserve the shade. Joker sucks though.
Between the two, I can stand Terry. It is just getting the combo together. If it was Terry alone, I wouldn't be throwing the Shade. We really have only gotten one heavily wanted character on Smashboards in this pass - Banjo.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
I would say Hero and Banjo/Kazooie were the two heavily requested.

Speaking of the Bear and Bird, do you consider them Microsoft reps? I have seen other people speak about this, and I understand where they are coming from, but I guess I think Rare more than MS. Just me?

Roberk

Smash Champion

Speaking of the Bear and Bird, do you consider them Microsoft reps? I have seen other people speak about this, and I understand where they are coming from, but I guess I think Rare more than MS. Just me?
While Microsoft hasn't done much with BK under their ownership, Banjo and Kazooie are still Microsoft reps legally because Microsoft now owns rare. Kind of like how Bayonetta and Joker are SEGA reps because SEGA owns the Bayonetta IP and ATLUS.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
While Microsoft hasn't done much with BK under their ownership, Banjo and Kazooie are still Microsoft reps legally because Microsoft now owns rare. Kind of like how Bayonetta and Joker are SEGA reps because SEGA owns the Bayonetta IP and ATLUS.
Yeah, and I totally get that. What I'm asking is: "Do you think Microsoft or Rare when you see Banjo and Kazooie?"

Grumbo

Smash Ace

I guess they rep both, but really the only thing from the Nuts and Bolts is the house design and the taunt.

Edit: to answer your second question, definitely Rare

Also not to make light of another fandoms bad luck, but how do you thing Dovakhin getting in over Doomguy (rock on man) would impact Chief’s chances. On the one hand they wouldnt have much a model to go off of, though they could use Samus, but on the other hand the Green Sci-Fi shooter role will be wide open.

Last edited:

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
I guess they rep both, but really the only thing from the Nuts and Bolts is the house design and the taunt.

Edit: to answer your second question, definitely Rare

Also not to make light of another fandoms bad luck, but how do you thing Dovakhin getting in over Doomguy (rock on man) would impact Chief’s chances. On the one hand they wouldnt have much a model to go off of, though they could use Samus, but on the other hand the Green Sci-Fi shooter role will be wide open.
Honestly, not really sure if it impacts his chances. I think the biggest thing right now is if we actually see the MCC on Switch come through. Whether that be tonight or in a near future Direct.

Also, the Dragonborn would be so cool to see. Hasn't really been on my radar a lot, because of the Doom Slayer hype, but I have more of a connection to Skyrim/Elder Scrolls than Doom. Would be happy to see either one.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Honestly, not really sure if it impacts his chances. I think the biggest thing right now is if we actually see the MCC on Switch come through. Whether that be tonight or in a near future Direct.

Also, the Dragonborn would be so cool to see. Hasn't really been on my radar a lot, because of the Doom Slayer hype, but I have more of a connection to Skyrim/Elder Scrolls than Doom. Would be happy to see either one.
I’m kinda torn on the matter myself. I love the Elder Scrolls and probably have dumped like 350+ hours in Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim, but its never struck me as fitting for Smash.
I don’t think I’ve touched a Doom game in my life, but my brother loves it, it has a massive legacy, and there’s a ton potential for a moveset.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
I played a lot of Skyrim, but not much more than that. Well, the Elder Scrolls Online. But that was only for a bit.

Me tonight, waiting on the announcement;
ChiefWaiting.png

Last edited:

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Since the Geno thread got locked and I’m kinda bored I’ll pose the question here. What are your final predictions for the Game Awards. Smash or otherwise.

• Character 5 is Dragonborn/Dovakhin from Skyrim
• Wave 2 of DLC is teased or explained (no reveals)
• BotW 2 trailer with gameplay
• Pikmin 3 Port (please)
• Rare Replay port with Donkey Kong games
• Master Chief Collection (I hope Zell is wrong about it being saved for a direct but he’s probably right)
• Smash wins Fighting Game
• Death Stranding wins Game of the Year

And if I just go with my totally unrealistic wants

•Smash wins game of the year
•Pikmin 4 announced
•New Fzero announced
•Mario Odyssey 2 announced
•Chief is 5 and Geno 6

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
  • Character 5 is a Fallout Rep
  • Character 6 is revealed as Geno
  • BoTW 2 trailer and release date
  • Sunshine port/sequel
  • Ezio Collection port
  • New Vegas/3/4 ports to Switch
  • Rare Replay
  • Sonic Adventure remake
  • Smash wins Game of the Year
My Wants
  • Shadow the Hedgehog remake
  • Sonic adventure 3 annoucement
  • Master Chief Collection gets shadow-dropped
  • Golden Sun 4
  • New F-Zero
  • Pikmin 4 trailer
  • Character 5 is Shadow and Character 6 is Geno
  • Outer Worlds wins Game of the Year (sorry, Smash Bros.)

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
My Wants (which may or may not be realistic :lol:)

• Smash wins game of the year and/or fighting game of the year
• Pikmin 4 announced
• Pikmin 3 port announced
• MCC is revealed to be coming/on Switch
• Chief is announced as DLC (either as FP5 or teased as the next character)
• Smash Ultimate Wave 2 DLC is explained

Edit:
One down! • Best Fighting Game! (Now to see if its Game of the Year)

Last edited:

ranmanon

Smash Cadet
So, all that's left is a Direct with MCC that might be the sign for Chief in Smash.
It's gonna be difficult for him now to be FP5, but as a Post-Pass is another story, I still BELIEVE he has a strong chance.

Last edited:

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Nintendo really didn't show much of anything. Wonder if they are planning a Direct soon? Or at least at the beginning of 2020?

ranmanon

Smash Cadet
Nintendo really didn't show much of anything. Wonder if they are planning a Direct soon? Or at least at the beginning of 2020?
Probably, even if they don't show anything smash related for that direct, let's hope the rumors of Halo on switch are true and it's revealed soon.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
“Everyone who tells me no reveal at game awards”

Me: aaaand?

Not surprised direct should be very soon they probably saving that for a December direct

On the bright side are Chief is at the helm again for the FP5 most likely now since game awards diddn’tmahowmit yet

(Rumor of halo coming to switch so maybe possibly show him as fighter 5 with the collection)

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Yeah. Maybe we will hear about one soon. They have done December Directs in the past, but I could see them waiting until January. Unless they just decide to do one very, very soon.

Lionfranky

Smash Lord
If we get Chief in Smash, I still think his Final Smash should reference the Warthog Run from Halo 3
That or deploying bubble shield and letting Infinity rain fire on battleground. Hopefully, it's not Spartan Laser as that would be pretty generic generic beam smash imo.

ranmanon

Smash Cadet
That or deploying bubble shield and letting Infinity rain fire on battleground. Hopefully, it's not Spartan Laser as that would be pretty generic generic beam smash imo.
I had the idea of Spartan Laser being his F-smash, slow on startup, but deadly with long range, basically an horizontal version of Palutena's fsmash

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Spartan Laser doesn't make sense as Final Smash or Forward Smash. It should be his Neutral Special.

His Final Smash should be the antimatter charge from Halo 2. Specifically upon activation, the antimatter charge flies by (like it's getting sucked out into space) and he grabs onto it). Should anyone get hit by it, a cutscene plays of him punching and pinning the opponents onto the charge's spikes as they fly through space, He then pushes off the bomb with his legs, kicking it into a covenant capital ship where it explodes along with his opponents as he flies off to safety.

Last edited:

Firox

Smash Master
Everyone when Chief doesn't get announced:
View attachment 252578
Man, it's crazy to look back at how tiny the roster was back then. To think, 38 was "huge"! I'll never forget how my friends and I felt when we saw the Sm4sh roster. It had what? 55 total? LOL Allstars mode felt like one hell of a slog. Now we're coming up on 80! That's DOUBLE what Brawl had. Yup, it's a great time to be alive.

D

Deleted member

Spartan Laser doesn't make sense as Final Smash or Forward Smash. It should be his Neutral Special.

His Final Smash should be the antimatter charge from Halo 2. Specifically upon activation, the antimatter charge flies by (like it's getting sucked out into space) and he grabs onto it). Should anyone get hit by it, a cutscene plays of him punching and pinning the opponents onto the charge's spikes as they fly through space, He then pushes off the bomb with his legs, kicking it into a covenant capital ship where it explodes along with his opponents as he flies off to safety.

Holy hell, that final smash would be AMAZING. Either that or a direct shot from a MAC Cannon. THAT would hurt.

This is my first post here that wasn't a like, so hey everyone!
I'll admit, I'm more of a fan of Doomguy because of his legacy, but I love Master Chief. You have no idea. Been playing Halo since I was six years old, and even now I'm still playing it through MCC PC. Fair to say that it's been pretty much with me my entire life. Messing around with killballs on Reach, making racetracks on both Halo 3 and Reach, messing around with Forge in general and custom Firefight.
I remember triggering the Siege of Madrigal easter egg on The Covenant, desperately trying to see the Marty easter eggs on Halo and Kikowani Station. Trying so hard to hijack a banshee in Halo 2 to get up to the Scarab Gun and... failing badly, lol.

God, so much fun. It's such a childhood-defining set of games. I honestly don't know where I'd be without it.

While Doomguy is the grandaddy of FPS akin to Dragon Quest and JRPGs, Halo is where it really became something else. Much more than a "Doom clone".
I have a much more stronger connection to Halo, and if we don't get Doomguy then I'd happily support the Chief.

Add me to the Support List, damn it.

My ideas for Chief:
Classic-Mode: Could be a "gaming icons" beat-em-up. Mario, Sonic, then it moves on to characters like Cloud and Crash (if he ever makes it in). Ideally it would have Chief up against each company's mascot. It would make sense, seeing as he's the mascot of Microsoft.

Spirits: This one is fairly easy. Arbiter, Shipmaster (Rtas Vadum), Sergeant Johnson, Cortana, Lord Keyes, maybe Miranda/Captain Keyes too. I'd also add some extras like Grunts, Flood spores and even the Gravemind. Halo's rich with characters, it's not like they'll struggle with spirit battles.
The Grunt spirit-battle for example could have the opponents (maybe someone like Kirby) start with the sticky bombs to both represent suicide grunts and how often they throw plasma grenades in general.

Tracks: This one is easy too. Finish the Fight, One Final Effort, Earth City, Tip of the Spear, 117, On A Pale Horse.. The possibilities are endless.
I'd love Rock Anthem for Saving the World and Skyline to be there too, that'd be awesome.

DarkShadow20

Smash Ace
Heavy Price Paid is my favorite track but it's not one that I would expect would be included sadly.

volbound1700

Smash Master
I am not sure why Nintendo can't just read boards, look at YouTube, etc. and figure out the characters people want. No one was asking for Joker and Terry. Why didn't Nintendo add Geno or Crash? Crap even Tails from Sonic the Hedgehog would have been a better pick than both Joker and Terry. They were the characters no one wanted.

Top Bottom