• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I need a weapon" - Master Chief

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Yea, to add on to what BreadnJamTomorrow BreadnJamTomorrow and Gazorpazorpfield Gazorpazorpfield are saying, it's not that they're 2 FPS stars that's the issue, it's that aesthetically they do look similar. I'm fine with either getting in, but if you wanna boil it down to simplest, quick-glance terms, they are 2 armored green "marines" in a sci-fi setting who use both realistic and fantasy/fictional guns.

We have tons of RPGs, so more than one FPS won't be a problem. Let's say we compare only in an aesthetic sense Gordon Freeman from Half Life and BJ Blazkowicz from Wolfenstein. Yeah, Gold and Gray are their main color schemes, but there's no way you could write them off as too similar at first glance, even if they both got in. Chief and Doomguy are similar to their detractors not because they use guns, but because as far as they care, they're looking at 2 armored green badasses who solve their problems with little words and tons of guns in a sci-fi universe. As someone who supports Dixie Kong, I know what a similar look can do to the general opinion of a character, so just remember that when someone says MC and DG are too similar, they're not talking about gameplay.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Would you guys be happy if we got Joanna Dark (Perfect Dark) as our shooter rep instead of Master Chief?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
No. Compared to Chief or Doomguy she’s a nobody, though would be happy for her fans.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Eh, I loved Perfect Dark on the N64, but I can't say I really care about the idea of her getting into Smash.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
I have to admit I'm 100% biased towards Master Chief since I have not played a single DOOM game, though the one that's coming out is on my to buy list for sure.

That said, Bethesda owns the development studio that makes the DOOM games, therefore Doom Guy would be a Bethesda rep. Now, while personally I'd rather not have a Bethesda rep due to some scummy things they've done recently, that isn't a deciding factor.

Thing is, I want to say Chief has more of a chance of being a second or third Microsoft rep than Doom Guy has being the first or second Bethesda rep. Why do I say that? Simply because of two games/game series, which are seen in the modern day as far more popular and profitable than DOOM. If we were to get characters from Bethesda... without a doubt I'd say the first rep they'd pick would be the player character from Skyrim. I think it's obvious enough that I don't need to go into detail why that's the case, though I will add the Zelda content that was added into the Switch release of Skyrim is definitely a booster. Then the second thing in the way of Doom Guy is a main character from Fallout, similar reasons for Skyrim apply here as well, just on a lesser scale.

Of course, Minecraft and Halo are without a doubt more popular and profitable than Banjo is (don't misunderstand me, I'm happy AF they got in), so this may not even be a factor (maybe unless it's popularity and profitability in the Nintendo Fanbase specifically but uh... idk).

That said, this really is just me thinking Doom Guy wouldn't get in over Master Chief due to the fact Elder Scrolls and Fallout would have to be hurdles Doom Guy would have to jump over and I don't think any amount of nostalgia could help with that since they are all pretty old game series, even more so considering Wolfenstein is also a Bethesda owned IP and is/was pretty similar to Doom as well (though that may be different in this modern day of ours, again I basically only know the common stuff about these games besides Fallout, I've had prior experience with that series).

Meanwhile the only real competition Master Chief has now that Banjo and Kazooie are in would be Steve from Minecraft and in terms of the next smash game, the potential Gruntilda would be added as a second Microsoft rep as a villain for the Banjo-Kazooie series. Then again though... it's been over ten years and Dr. Eggman still isn't a playable character and a rep for the Sonic series, so third party villains are probably on a much lower priority than protagonists from third party series (maybe unless they're the mascot, examples being Monokuma from Danganronpa and Heihachi from Tekken). So, taking that potential of third party villains being a lower priority regardless of how popular or important they are, etc. etc. Chief's only real competition within Microsoft now is Steve.

So if we take into account what I've laid down, and assume the worst case scenario that they're the last from their companies to be added, not taking into account DLC the order would be:

Steve, Master Chief

Dovahkiin/Last Dragonborn, Vault Dweller, Doom Guy/Slayer

Putting Gruntildia (ignoring the bias against third party antagonists) and Wolfenstein into the mix...

Steve, Gruntildia, Master Chief

Dovahkiin/Last Dragonborn, Vault Dweller, B.J. Blazkowicz, Doom Guy/Slayer

So Chief would be in Smash 7 or 8 if that was the case, then Doom Guy/Slayer would be in Smash 8 or 9 if we go by that, but of course I very much doubt it would go this way for either of them.

That said, I have no problems with both Doom Guy and Master Chief co-existing in Smash Bros. I think it'd be pretty cool, and I do think their armors are distinct and different enough from one another, that the color of their armors being the same and their profession being similar as well wouldn't be that much of a problem, same goes for their arsenal and suit abilities. But if it has to be one or the other, I have no doubts in my mind it'd be Chief due to reasons stated earlier, even if this could be clouded by bias.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
I have to admit I'm 100% biased towards Master Chief since I have not played a single DOOM game, though the one that's coming out is on my to buy list for sure.

That said, Bethesda owns the development studio that makes the DOOM games, therefore Doom Guy would be a Bethesda rep. Now, while personally I'd rather not have a Bethesda rep due to some scummy things they've done recently, that isn't a deciding factor.

Thing is, I want to say Chief has more of a chance of being a second or third Microsoft rep than Doom Guy has being the first or second Bethesda rep. Why do I say that? Simply because of two games/game series, which are seen in the modern day as far more popular and profitable than DOOM. If we were to get characters from Bethesda... without a doubt I'd say the first rep they'd pick would be the player character from Skyrim. I think it's obvious enough that I don't need to go into detail why that's the case, though I will add the Zelda content that was added into the Switch release of Skyrim is definitely a booster. Then the second thing in the way of Doom Guy is a main character from Fallout, similar reasons for Skyrim apply here as well, just on a lesser scale.

Of course, Minecraft and Halo are without a doubt more popular and profitable than Banjo is (don't misunderstand me, I'm happy AF they got in), so this may not even be a factor (maybe unless it's popularity and profitability in the Nintendo Fanbase specifically but uh... idk).

That said, this really is just me thinking Doom Guy wouldn't get in over Master Chief due to the fact Elder Scrolls and Fallout would have to be hurdles Doom Guy would have to jump over and I don't think any amount of nostalgia could help with that since they are all pretty old game series, even more so considering Wolfenstein is also a Bethesda owned IP and is/was pretty similar to Doom as well (though that may be different in this modern day of ours, again I basically only know the common stuff about these games besides Fallout, I've had prior experience with that series).

Meanwhile the only real competition Master Chief has now that Banjo and Kazooie are in would be Steve from Minecraft and in terms of the next smash game, the potential Gruntilda would be added as a second Microsoft rep as a villain for the Banjo-Kazooie series. Then again though... it's been over ten years and Dr. Eggman still isn't a playable character and a rep for the Sonic series, so third party villains are probably on a much lower priority than protagonists from third party series (maybe unless they're the mascot, examples being Monokuma from Danganronpa and Heihachi from Tekken). So, taking that potential of third party villains being a lower priority regardless of how popular or important they are, etc. etc. Chief's only real competition within Microsoft now is Steve.

So if we take into account what I've laid down, and assume the worst case scenario that they're the last from their companies to be added, not taking into account DLC the order would be:

Steve, Master Chief

Dovahkiin/Last Dragonborn, Vault Dweller, Doom Guy/Slayer

Putting Gruntildia (ignoring the bias against third party antagonists) and Wolfenstein into the mix...

Steve, Gruntildia, Master Chief

Dovahkiin/Last Dragonborn, Vault Dweller, B.J. Blazkowicz, Doom Guy/Slayer

So Chief would be in Smash 7 or 8 if that was the case, then Doom Guy/Slayer would be in Smash 8 or 9 if we go by that, but of course I very much doubt it would go this way for either of them.

That said, I have no problems with both Doom Guy and Master Chief co-existing in Smash Bros. I think it'd be pretty cool, and I do think their armors are distinct and different enough from one another, that the color of their armors being the same and their profession being similar as well wouldn't be that much of a problem, same goes for their arsenal and suit abilities. But if it has to be one or the other, I have no doubts in my mind it'd be Chief due to reasons stated earlier, even if this could be clouded by bias.
Nice write-up! Though I'm not sure you're being entirely fair to DOOM. I'll agree with you that Bethesda's Dragonborn would likely take priority over their Doomslayer, but he'd probably be second in line. Fallout has plenty of popularity, but no star-power like the other two games have. While, yes, the Dragonborn isn't a specific character, I'd still say the image of the horn-helmeted man with a sword and shield, shouting at a fire-breathing dragon has a certain cultural ubiquity that no jumpsuit-wearing Vault Dweller has ever enjoyed. For that matter, I think Doomguy does, too.

He's got a realistic shot at getting in, and has legitimate arguments for his inclusion; namely, his significance to the entire shooter genre, his commercial and critical success (of late, his games have garnered more respect than Chief's have), and his most recent, relevant outing sitting pretty on Nintendo's premiere platform. While I don't think he's as likely as some around here or Reddit may believe, he's got a decidedly legitimate chance.

But, come on, we're talking western gaming stars, here. If you want to put one of those in Smash, I honestly don't think there's a single character with the notoriety, the almost mythical presence that the Master Chief has over the general gaming sphere. Between Martin O'Donnell's dramatic orchestral score, the vast, peril-struck worlds with fiery skies and expansive vistas, and the ever-iconic Mjolnir armor of the Chief, Halo touches upon something too integral to western culture to ignore. (Though he's very popular in Europe, too, he is quintessentially American, between his soft-spoken, action-oriented mannerisms and Clint Eastwood-style one-liners.) At any rate, Halo is silly and cheesy more often than not, but it strikes a chord with people, man. Without getting too dramatic, it's similar in the west to the cultural force that Dragon Quest is in the east. And, judging by the E3 direct, the Smash team seems to value that.

This is already becoming a real tangent, but I think Chief's got cultural ubiquity that no Doomguy, no Steve--hell, no Cloud, Joker or possibly even Ryu has. If they're after for a pick to excite western fans, I've got a good feeling about where they'll look ;)

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
It is so nice seeing Microsoft in the trademark section at the bottom of the Smash website. Microsoft already has a character in Smash and said they would let Chief in Smash, we also know that Sakurai is familiar with the Halo series. These are three big hurdles cleared.

Don_102

Smash Rookie
I'm very doubtful that he'll be in this fighter pass. But if you can entertain the notion of a second but smaller fighter pass (like 3 characters instead of 5) then he's got a good shot!

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
Since I hope they get into smash I was wondering was there ever any more news about the master Chief collection coming to switch rumor?
I don't know what rumor you're talking about, but given they're still hard at work on MCC for PC, it probably isn't happening atm. What with Game Pass and the whole 'play anywhere' thing there's a good chance it'll happen at some point, though, and the port to Switch will probably be easier than porting to PC.

Last edited:

MagnesD3

Smash Master
I don't know what rumor you're talking about, but given they're still hard at work on MCC for PC, it probably isn't happening atm. What with Game Pass and the whole 'play anywhere' thing there's a good chance it'll happen at some point, though, and the port to Switch will probably be easier than porting to PC.
https://youtu.be/itxPbT5HPeU

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
It is so nice seeing Microsoft in the trademark section at the bottom of the Smash website. Microsoft already has a character in Smash and said they would let Chief in Smash, we also know that Sakurai is familiar with the Halo series. These are three big hurdles cleared.
Where/when did they say Chief could be in Smash?

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
While characters don't get items with them as DLC;

If they did; what item/s would you want from Halo? I like the idea of the Gravity Hammer, Needler, Overshield, or Plasma Grenades (If Chief doesn't use them in his moveset that is).

KillerCage

Smash Master
I want to see Master Chief go up against Samus for real. Not just in fan animation.

D

Deleted member

Never played a Halo game since I don’t own any Xbox.

But I heard some of the Halo ost and I would welcome Chief just for the music alone, ngl.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
While characters don't get items with them as DLC;

If they did; what item/s would you want from Halo? I like the idea of the Gravity Hammer, Needler, Overshield, or Plasma Grenades (If Chief doesn't use them in his moveset that is).
I could see that deployable Covenant cover shield you could use in Halo 3 being an item. It would reflect any projectiles and items and would stay on the battlefield for a little while. Of course it could run out of energy too but regenerate relatively quickly.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Me personally?

I'd want to see the Active Camouflage module as an item. We don't have invisibility-granting items in Smash Bros, and the only way we can have something close to that is the Clear setting in Special Battles. I'm imagining that upon equip, it would turn you invisible, and if you landed an attack while invisible, it'll deactivate, but will increase said attack's power. It would then go into cooldown before it turns you invisible again.

sejotaa

Smash Rookie
To be perfectly honest, Chief has always been a pipe-dream wishlist type of character for me. Its fun to think about and imagine how he would function, but the odds of him ever being part of the Smash roster are slim to none. I won't entirely rule it out considering how wild the DLC picks for Ultimate have been so far, but I won't get my hopes up.

D

Deleted member

Hey. I would like to support the legendary spartan master chief for smash. Since banjo got in other ms reps can get in and I think chief could be next.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
Hey. I would like to support the legendary spartan master chief for smash. Since banjo got in other ms reps can get in and I think chief could be next.
At this point, I think he's getting in over Steve but either way, if they do more DLC I'm betting he's in late this year.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
It'll probably be proven false later on, but I have a theory that they're doing a regional thing with the DLC characters.

First two characters are Japanese audience appeal, Banjo himself is British audience appeal, so the last two characters may be for Americans. I'm thinking it's down to Crash, Spyro and Master Chief.

Never played a Halo game since I don’t own any Xbox.

But I heard some of the Halo ost and I would welcome Chief just for the music alone, ngl.
It's a fun and kind of pulpy sci-fi epic. Blends elements of classic arena shooters with modern military shooters and invented a lot of the things used in today's shooters.

Master Chief Collection is coming out on PC if you have a gaming-capable computer.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/976730/Halo_The_Master_Chief_Collection/

At this point, I think he's getting in over Steve but either way, if they do more DLC I'm betting he's in late this year.
Not gonna be hard. Even the actual devs of Minecraft don't want Steve in Smash.

Last edited:

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
It'll probably be proven false later on, but I have a theory that they're doing a regional thing with the DLC characters.

First two characters are Japanese audience appeal, Banjo himself is British audience appeal, so the last two characters may be for Americans. I'm thinking it's down to Crash, Spyro and Master Chief.

It's a fun and kind of pulpy sci-fi epic. Blends elements of classic arena shooters with modern military shooters and invented a lot of the things used in today's shooters.

Master Chief Collection is coming out on PC if you have a gaming-capable computer.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/976730/Halo_The_Master_Chief_Collection/

Not gonna be hard. Even the actual devs of Minecraft don't want Steve in Smash.
I'm still convinced that, if Master Chief were included, there's no way they wouldn't have revealed or at least teased him at E3. I could be wrong, but I find that more damning to his chances than Banjo and Kazooie already being included.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
I'm still convinced that, if Master Chief were included, there's no way they wouldn't have revealed or at least teased him at E3. I could be wrong, but I find that more damning to his chances than Banjo and Kazooie already being included.
Not like another DLC wave would take another year to do, or that this year's E3 was the very last E3 of all time.

If they're doing another one, next year's E3 makes a lot of sense due to the fact Infinite will be launching at the end of that year with the new Xbox console.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Yikes! I’ll try to wait till we know more before judging the game, but I don’t think I’ve ever been more fearful for Halo than I am right now. Some already considering it to be a dead series. Reach on the MCC being delayed again is frustrating enough, but this... IDK.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
To be perfectly honest, Chief has always been a pipe-dream wishlist type of character for me. Its fun to think about and imagine how he would function, but the odds of him ever being part of the Smash roster are slim to none. I won't entirely rule it out considering how wild the DLC picks for Ultimate have been so far, but I won't get my hopes up.
:ultbanjokazooie: :ultsnake::ultcloud::ultjoker:
Also we know Sakurai likes Halo 2
He is a massively important video game character
343 tweeted that they would like to see Chief in Smash
Also :ultbanjokazooie: is in, who is owned by the same company who owns Chief.

He isn't really a pipe dream anymore.

SKX31

Smash Master
[EDIT: Twitter post linked]

Yikes! I’ll try to wait till we know more before judging the game, but I don’t think I’ve ever been more fearful for Halo than I am right now. Some already considering it to be a dead series. Reach on the MCC being delayed again is frustrating enough, but this... IDK.
Lets just hope that the microtransactions are all cosmetic (like sprays and weapon stickers / autographs from famous players and esport teams in CS GO). They're the least intrusive out of the bunch by a wide margin.

If I also may play Devil's Advocate for a sec: Really wouldn't be surprised if 343 was "incentivized to" include them by Microsoft execs - and the execs are also in turn "incentivized to" by how other companies are doing. If other companies can basically substain their games for years on end with microtransactions, then execs (like Microsoft's execs here, or Nintendo) are gonna chance it - hoping that Halo Infinite basically substains itself for years to come., As I've pointed out elsewhere, the line between "Sound Business model" and "Microtransaction Hell" is a really fine one sometimes.[/SPOILER]

Last edited:

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
At this point, it seems like Master Chief would actually get into Smash before we hear anything about Infinite's gameplay. Hoping the microtransactions are handled in a way that respects the players, but after Halo 5 and Warzone, I'm not exactly hopeful

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
There was a problem fetching the tweet

This brings me the large concern. I don't think microteansactions should be in /any/ triple A experience. The excuse of that its "too expensive" so it's a necessary evil is absolute BS anyways. Of course if it's something like... DLC story expansions, which I don't consider micro transactions but I know some do, I'd probably be fine with it. Otherwise... This ain't it chief.

Houndstooth

Smash Ace
Going to have to support the Chief in Smash. It's kinda crazy, because I never thought hr would ever have a chance when I first started following the Smash character speculation(back in the Brawl days). But now? Banjo/Kazooie is in, Microsoft is working with Nintendo on things, and today Ori and the Blind Forest was just announced to be available on the Switch. He's one of my top characters, now. Come on, Chief! Finish the Fight!

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Here is interesting news!

Available in Gears 5 Ultimate Edition are both Emile-239 and Kat-320 from Halo Reach!

Yes, that is right! Halo characters will be available in Gears of War!

Gears of War X Halo!

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
After Crash, Master Chief is definitely the next mascot character due for Smash Bros.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Gotta say if we get halo revealed in the next direct tomorrow, I AM GOING TO LOSE MY MIND!

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
Gotta say if we get halo revealed in the next direct tomorrow, I AM GOING TO LOSE MY MIND!
If they somehow scrounged a team up to port the MCC to Switch, color me impressed. Does Nintendo normally get B-teams to do that sort of thing?--I know the team at 343 already has their hands full with the PC port.

ranmanon

Smash Cadet
Chief would be great, in fact, closing the DLC Pass with him and the "Finishes the Fight" tag-line would be amazing (specially if they make it a continuation of the Ridley trailer).

Top Bottom