• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I need a weapon" - Master Chief

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
I really still have hope for chief to make it in this fighters pass despite the somewhat deconfirms. If anything, I think Doomguy will get in first and then chief will arrive later in another pass or maybe smash 6. I really want master chief though. He’s in my top 3 with shantae and banjo.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
So fellas, with Joker's gameplay dropping today we learn he wields an actual pistol that shoots actual bullets and we can shoot the kids characters with it.

I think that means Chief would now have access to his full arsenal, alongside any other FPS character.

Also I just realized they finally gave Kirby a gun...

those N1n10do 64 animations back in the day predicted this.

Last edited:

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
GREAT! GUNS ARE A-OK NOW. I take back everything I said against Chief using a gun. Let the AR and shotgun ideas Flood in lol. This should be fun!

Last edited:

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
I will say this, also cause of the new update I think we can assume any paid Mii fighter outfits releasing alongside a fighter will be based from that fighter's parent company (Persona is owned by Atlus and Atlus is owned by SEGA, explains why Tails and Knuckles Mii costumes were announced wit the Persona ones tha way).

So I think it's safe to say whichever of the top three Microsoft representative runners, the other two might get the Mii Fighter Costume treatment as a consolation prize.

That being said a potential pattern would be two hats, two full costumes of the fighter's series while the other two are full costumes of other series the company owns.

That said I think the easy choices for Halo would be:

Arbiter Mii Fighter Costume

Locke Mii Fighter Costume

Flood Hat

and UNSC Navy Hat

Alternatively we could get a UNSC Navy Mii Costume and Arbiter's Helmet as a Hat if it'd be too complicated to make Arbiter a Mii Costume.

Of course we could also get one of the MANY Spartan Armor sets, but I think they would stick to those connected to characters in the lore/story.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I hope that Microsoft and Nintendo stay buddy buddy, because I want Banjo, Steve, AND Master Chief.
Every generation had its big new kid on the playground.
Arcade (2nd Gen) had Pac-Man.
3rd gen had Mario.
4th gen had Sonic.
5th gen had Crash Bandicoot (#1 on my wishlist)
And 6th gen had Master Chief.
7th gen would probably be Dragonborn, whom I also support.
8th gen is too recent to call and 9th gen judt started.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
If MC were to be confirmed, I think I know how they announce it...

It's Xbox's E3 2019 Conference, and multiple announcements (However much they make there) have been made. Halo director Chris Lee is on stage alongside Phil Spencer thanking everyone for attending the conference but then he says this:

"Before we go, however, we have one final surprise for you. One we're calling, 'the ultimate Halo announcement'!"

The stage turns dark. The audience sees a cutscene playing on the large screen in front of them, showing Master Chief wandering into what looks like ruins. He finds a large machine inside the ruins, and brushes dust off of the interface of it, containing a single large button. After an analysis deeming it to be not dangerous, Master Chief presses the button, and blue streaks of light start flowing out of the button like a river. They spread across the walls of the ruins until they converge again onto a circle in front of him. The circle completely forms and stays for a moment...before two streaks of light inside the circle make a familiar cross. As the crowd goes nuts, the Smash symbol in front of Chief creates a portal, in which he steps through. The screen fades to white and shows:

"Challenger Pack 3: MASTER CHIEF from Halo!"

The Smash Bros title appears as the final few notes of Finish the Fight play before it becomes "Super Smash Bros. Ultimate X Halo", then the title fades out before the presentation truly ends.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
A part of me is still hoping that Frank has been trolling everyone, but it's just a fleeting hope, truth be told. I fully believe that Master Chief is the biggest video game character to add to Smash right now. In every consecutive Smash game the stage becomes bigger and bigger, and I cannot imagine a bigger addition besides Master Chief. This is THE character that would truly blow everyone's minds away, and I cannot imagine any other character that can rival him in hype.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
A part of me is still hoping that Frank has been trolling everyone, but it's just a fleeting hope, truth be told. I fully believe that Master Chief is the biggest video game character to add to Smash right now. In every consecutive Smash game the stage becomes bigger and bigger, and I cannot imagine a bigger addition besides Master Chief. This is THE character that would truly blow everyone's minds away, and I cannot imagine any other character that can rival him in hype.
The problem is 343's statements. Frank? Yeah, I can't take him seriously with how much of a strong chance Chief will appear, even if not playable. The person he replied to is literally talking about any DLC, not simply playable. Coupled with how crude it is? It was easy to just facepalm and watch Chief show up in some form, which would immediately debunk the meaning of Frank's reply.

Then 343 stepped in, which made it clear Chief was never negotiated for as is. That changes the whole point and is what really deconfirms him. Albeit, it doesn't mean he can't be a costume/spirit, which would already mean Frank wasn't being serious. If he shows up at all, his tweet is meaningless. The only thing we can say for sure is he wouldn't be in the Fighter's Pass(the current one) with this information. No more, no less.

dinkeytom

Smash Apprentice
Not really Masterchief related, but now that Microsoft and Sony teamed up to improve AI and online infrastructure who thinks it is likely that Nintendo may adopt Azure as well? I mentioned in a previous post that Smash could use Azure, but I am not surprised that Sony adopted Azure. Internally Sony loved to make the PS4's SDK similar to DirectX 11.1 and allowed developers to code in C#.
Microsoft is the only major cloud company with servers in China seeing that Google is banned there and Amazon stopped selling in China, so I can see Nintendo either adopting Azure or whatever Epic are offering, which seems to be delayed.

And now for something different.
With Google Theory do you believe in it or not? I don't know about before, but Masterchief seemed to return the ad and Banjo Kazooie, so I really doubt that BRAD is the fighter pack picks.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
I'm not really sure whether or not to believe the Google Theory but I do find it very fascinating so I'm just waiting things out till E3. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be true, as weird as the situation is.. But my personal opinion is I'd rather it not be true because the line-up kinda lacks variety. Compare Banjo-Kazooie, a goofy bear and bird, to a bunch of edgy guys and its not hard to see.. :lol:
I'd of course rather have Master Chief over Doomguy as well and they look similar enough I feel it could hurt the Chief's chances if he were to get in. Or, the team would try all the harder to make the two character's movesets different from each other which is totally doable.

Last edited:

dinkeytom

Smash Apprentice
I'm not really sure whether or not to believe the Google Theory but I do find it very fascinating so I'm just waiting things out till E3. That said, I wouldn't be surprised if it turned out to be true, as weird as the situation is.. But my personal opinion is I'd rather it not be true because the line-up kinda lacks variety. Compare Banjo-Kazooie, a goofy bear and bird, to a bunch of edgy guys and its not hard to see.. :lol:
I'd of course rather have Master Chief over Doomguy as well and they look similar enough I feel it could hurt the Chief's chances if he were to get in. Or, the team would try all the hard to make the two character's movesets different from each other which is totally doable.
I think Chief is already different enough from Doom Slayer. Doom is ripping and tearing, Chief rides an array of vehicles, regenerates his health and pistol whips.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
I think Chief is already different enough from Doom Slayer. Doom is ripping and tearing, Chief rides an array of vehicles, regenerates his health and pistol whips.
Ah, fair enough. Obviously what I said was in ignorance of the Doom games as I care very little to look into them. I was just thinking if both characters were in Chief might rely more on the alien tech and a shielding mechanic to further set him apart. By your description it sounds like Doomguy would make use of many multi-hit moves while perhaps Chief would use more single hits and explosions.

Cruelcumber

Smash Cadet
I've been a fan of Halo since I was but a middle school child watching Arby N' The Chief, and spending my weekends playing Halo Reach. Of course I'd love it if Master Chief ever got into Smash, he would actually make me jump for joy to see as a newcomer. He's my ideal Microsoft rep, and seeing a Halo stage (preferably Blood Gulch) and the Halo soundtrack in Smash would be incredible. I support Master Chief getting included in Smash.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
What did 343 say about Chief being in the game? Could I have link to it?

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Nothing to do with Master Chief, but how does F-Zero's current lack of relevancy disqualify it from being deemed underrepresented? If EarthBound/MOTHER counts as underrepresented, so should F-Zero.
That post was worded poorly. I said I "wouldn't" say it's underrepresented, as in even though it hasn't had a game in a while I still think it warrants some more love.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Here you go

Right there, answered twitter's question of "who do you want to see in Smash Bros Ultimate?" Replied with a gif of Chief.
Don’t think Chief is happening, but isnt the person running that account just a social media guy or something? I don’t think they’d be privy to any information about Smash if negotiations happened. I do think Frank’s tweet is pretty damning though.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Don’t think Chief is happening, but isnt the person running that account just a social media guy or something? I don’t think they’d be privy to any information about Smash if negotiations happened. I do think Frank’s tweet is pretty damning though.
While I'm no expert in the social media field, as in I don't work a job as running a companies' SM pages, I believe they have to run things up through some higher ups to get permission to post certain things. Especially something like that, I just think it shows there's people at Microsoft and 343 that wish for the legendary spartan's inclusion, but I don't I think it means he's happening 100% either because of that.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
The E3 trailer was cool, and Chief's new/old armor looks great.

Press F for no gameplay footage, tho.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
That trailer was pretty good. But lemme be honest here: who else thought we were gonna see the Smash logo in that trailer?

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
There's Banjo-Kazooie, as promised. They look great adapted into Smash!

Good news for us is now people will probably be more open to the idea of Master Chief in Smash, since he wouldn't be replacing the Bear and Bird.

Course, Chief's out for this Fighter Pass, and presumably for Ultimate in general, but future Smash games look promising for our Spartan.

Unless Doomguy gets in, instead. That'd be an issue.

Last edited:

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
Well my bold prediction which I've solidified since learning of the general release date of Halo Infinite is that Smash Ultimate will do a second round of DLC Fighters and Master Chief will be one of them which should coincide closely with the release of the new Halo game!

D

Deleted member

Good news for us is now people will probably be more open to the idea of Master Chief in Smash, since he wouldn't be replacing the Bear and Bird.

Course, Chief's out for this Fighter Pass, and presumably for Ultimate in general, but future Smash games look promising for our Spartan.

Ever since that Banjo trailer, I don't know who to choose either Fulgore or Master Chief. Admittedly, I played a bit of Killer Instinct on my brother's friend's Xbox One and never played Halo before but I never knew I wouldn't mind Fulgore or Master Chief but I'd rather stick with Fulgore, especially with his fast combo

SKX31

Smash Master

I think Doomguy and Chief can coexist in Smash - even do the K. Rool switcharoo (whether we'd be up for it a third time is another matter). The two have enough different weapons and playstyles to make them completely distinct, perhaps to a Duck Hunt / B-K level.

And yeah, if we're going to see Chief it's likely to be when Infinite nears completion and 343 can think about shifting resources to a potential Switch port.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
Doomguy and Chief can definitely co-exist. That’s actually a really exciting match up so I don’t think Sakurai would pass up the chance to pull that off if offered.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Saying Doom Guy and Chief can't coexist because they're both shooters is like saying Mario and Sonic can't coexist because they're both platformers.

Doom and Halo are very different games despite both being FPSes.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Saying Doom Guy and Chief can't coexist because they're both shooters is like saying Mario and Sonic can't coexist because they're both platformers.

Doom and Halo are very different games despite both being FPSes.
To be fair, there's definitely a difference here. Halo and Doom are significantly more similar in their gameplay.

I agree regardless, but the comparison is not that good. An issue is there's not exactly a lot of characters in Smash from different series that have somewhat similar gameplay which translates to Smash. Not even the Metroidvania characters are in a similar position. Simon and Richter are from games that were far different from Metroid at the time.

Hell, even the 3 Links show how unique they still are despite being based upon each other to some degree. Despite kind of an overlap, they play very very differently. I'm sure there's a better example than them.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Halo and Doom have pretty different arsenals for their main characters too, especially now. You’d have to try hard to get weapons/guns that would overlap, like giving them both a shotgun or something, but Chief would more likely have something else for close range. I just don’t see them having real notable similarities.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Halo and Doom have pretty different arsenals for their main characters too, especially now. You’d have to try hard to get weapons/guns that would overlap, like giving them both a shotgun or something, but Chief would more likely have something else for close range. I just don’t see them having real notable similarities.
Nobody was talking about the weapons only. A thing about FPS' is they have a lot of similar gameplay. Many of them aren't just about collecting ammo and weapons, but also about collecting other items to open things like doors. It's a common thing among these games.

It's not that surprising people see them as similar. They're still obviously distinct. But to convince people, just saying they have different weapons isn't going to tell people how the gameplay alone is distinct. It'll still be "FPS" to them. There's more to their uniqueness than weapons alone. Doom has the notable point of being more like a 3D person dungeon crawler, destroying enemies constantly. Halo is more story-based and has always had Player-to-Player as a key factor. More major similarities than weapons.

BreadnJamTomorrow

Smash Cadet
My issue with the Doom Guy/Master Chief debacle isn't that they can't coexist. I believe they can. It's just that, for the Ultimate DLC cycle at least, I don't think that they would logistically be able to be added together. There are only a certain amount of characters that are created for Smash DLC, which I believe countless companies would be vying for. And since Smash is wide reaching with a large casual audience, it is my opinion that they would want to diversify those characters as much as possible (while still keeping fans happy of course!). To casuals, having two green guys with guns might not seem appealing as having one green guy with a gun and another "unique" character. Thus, I think that we would get one or the other.

I am not at ALL saying that this is the case. It's just what my heart is telling me. And my heart can be wrong. Dead wrong even. And I really, REALLY hope that it is. After all this is Sakurai, and the man is unpredictable. But my gut feeling at the moment leads me to personally think that having both for Ultimate is not likely.

Now for the next Smash game, you can throw all of this out the window lol.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
To casuals, having two green guys with guns might not seem appealing
This is my main concern. Aesthetically/thematically, they're sci-fi, fully-armored green fps characters that the east doesn't know about. Surely you could differentiate them in gameplay, but many eastern fans would see them as all-but identical. Even from a western perspective, they would probably seem redundant. I hope I'm wrong, of course, but I really think it's a 'one-or-the-other' scenario.

Last edited:
Top Bottom