• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I need a weapon" - Master Chief

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I support. Admittedly I've never actually played a Halo game as I never owned an Xbox, though it's one of those series that made me wish I didn't just grow up on Nintendo systems (I still remember when Halo Reach was one of the biggest games during High School). I will most likely pick up the Master Chief on Steam, though if it somehow comes to Switch it will be a day 1 buy.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
While I think Halo is generally stronger in multiplayer than single-player, I didn't think Halo 5's was all that. The Spartan Abilities are a nifty idea, but between every player being able to Sprint, immediately change or increase their velocity with the Thruster Pack, and cross-map other players with half the weapons due to Smart-Scope, I think they did more harm than good.

In terms of Campaign... yeah, we don't talk about Halo 5's Campaign.

This time around, I think they've got Paul Crocker on the team, who apparently was the head writer for the Arkham games. Hopefully that bodes well for Infinite.

They kinda need to nail Infinite. The general public hasn't much cared for Halo since 2010, and 343's recent efforts have kiiiiinda made that worse. Like you, I think an open world (or more open levels) could be good for the series. A couple mechanical touch-ups (like removing Spartan Abilities) could make the gameplay tighter, and the open spaces could allow players to be more creative with the game's sandbox. From a narrative perspective, they can only really go up, to be honest. 5 isn't a particularly hard act to follow.
Well for me personally the Halo campaigns have always been the strongest draw to the games and multiplayer is a great addition too. Don't get me wrong, story is important but I think some people forget this is a video game franchise and because of that I believe gameplay should come first. That said, Halo 5 by no means got either of those 'perfect' and hopefully they step it up in Infinite. As there is no reason gameplay AND story can't both be great and compliment each other very well as they should.

Multiplayer on the other hand in Halo 5 was very enjoyable which I'm glad is the general consensus. Another unpopular opinion but I actually thoroughly enjoyed Halo 4's multiplayer so I have no doubts whatever multiplayer experience 343 makes will be a fun one.

I also don't mind if the campaign takes more of an open world spin to it. After all, its the unique enemies and overall gameplay that I like so much about the franchise.

Last edited:

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Long as the campaign is co-op plenty will be happy regardless. Halo 5’s was a mess, but I did like some parts like the Warden Eternal boss fights, to a point. Spartan Locke I didn’t mind either; the problem was they gave him too much focus over Chief, but won’t be surprised if Locke doesn’t return in much capacity (if any) after 5’s reception. Seeing Arbiter again some was nice though, hope they do more of that.

5’s multiplayer was definitely a step up from 4 after some updates. It wasn’t even a contest for me there, but 6/Infinite is kinda 343’s last chance to do Halo a real solid and bring the series back to the public eye, which as pointed out started dwindling after 2010. Speaking of, I’m right there with people on the anticipation of experiencing Reach again on MCC.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Long as the campaign is co-op plenty will be happy regardless. Halo 5’s was a mess, but I did like some parts like the Warden Eternal boss fights, to a point. Spartan Locke I didn’t mind either; the problem was they gave him too much focus over Chief, but won’t be surprised if Locke doesn’t return in much capacity (if any) after 5’s reception. Seeing Arbiter again some was nice though, hope they do more of that.

5’s multiplayer was definitely a step up from 4 after some updates. It wasn’t even a contest for me there, but 6/Infinite is kinda 343’s last chance to do Halo a real solid and bring the series back to the public eye, which as pointed out started dwindling after 2010. Speaking of, I’m right there with people on the anticipation of experiencing Reach again on MCC.
Personally I liked fighting the Warden....once.

If they were gonna have him be a recurring boss fight, they should have taken the old-school Sonic approach and given him different body types. Say for example, the current Warden Body is a super Soldier type; they could've made Warden-level versions of the other Prometheans: a Warden-level Crawler, Knight, Watcher and something completely new. The current Warden could be unchanged and thus "well-rounded", the Crawler version would be an agile mecha beast, the Knight would practically be a roided out tank, and the Watcher would basically be a Phaeton. And I'm not talking about the Warzone versions of enemies who simply have buffs; I'm saying use the regular enemies as a basis for Warden-level and Warden-Sized designs, making it clear that he's got "a million bodies" and different types.

SEGA was smart enough to make each time we fought their one antagonist unique on much simpler technology. 343 made us repeat the same fight on different maps and it quickly got tedious. If they took SEGA's approach, we would've hated the Warden, as we're supposed to, but we wouldn't have been tired of fighting him and some of us would be looking forward to it. 343 comes off as lazy for the way they handled this.

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
If the rumors are true that Xbox Game Pass is coming to the Switch, one of th!e games will probably be MCC, so that's a Nintendo appearance.

Also I did come up with a few tracks that I think would be awesome if we do see John-117 become playable in Smash:
Halo Main Theme
Halo Theme (Mjolnir Mix)
Rock Anthem for Saving The World
Blow Me Away or Mombasa Suite (Halo 2)
Finish The Fight (Halo 3)
Winter Contingency (Halo: Reach)
Arrival (Halo 4)

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I've been thinking about Chief's Final Smash. I'm thinking it should be the Covenant's Antimatter Charge from Halo 2.

1554191376630.png

When Chief activates his FS, the Antimatter Charge flies by as if it's being sucked out of the airlock on Cairo Station, and he grabs onto it, flying forward and hitting everyone in the way.

He and his enemies get sucked out into space, and Chief pummels his opponents and pins them all to the spikes of the antimatter charge before leaping off, kicking the bomb into a covenant capital ship and causing a gigantic explosion. Pretty brutal, but I think they can get away with it since Corrin impaling people on her sword seems to be fair game.

Last edited:

IanTheGamer

Smash Champion
I've been thinking about Chief's Final Smash. I'm thinking it should be the Covenant's Antimatter Charge from Halo 2.

View attachment 203808

When Chief activates his FS, the Antimatter Charge flies by as if it's being sucked out of the airlock on Cairo Station, and he grabs onto it, flying forward and hitting everyone in the way.

He and his enemies get sucked out into space, and Chief pummels his opponents and pins them all to the spikes of the antimatter charge before leaping off, kicking the bomb into a covenant capital ship and causing a gigantic explosion. Pretty brutal, but I think they can get away with it since Corrin impaling people on her sword seems to be fair game.
I was thinking a reference to the Warthog Run from Halo 3 myself

BreadnJamTomorrow

Smash Cadet

View attachment 203808

Hmm, I don't think it should be the Antimatter Charge. FSs are typically a character's most powerful attack (Ryu/Ken, Cloud, and Little Mac) , highlight an aspect of their original game's gameplay (Olimar/Alph, Robin, and Duck Hunt), and/or showcase said character's personality (Luigi's Brawl FS and Ridley, ). Not saying it won't happen, but I don't think it's likely, Although I appreciate the creativity and ingenuity.

I think it might be based off of something from Halo's gameplay. Like an incredibly powerful gun such as the Spartan Laser or Fuel Rod Cannon. Or if you're feeling a lot more destructive, it could even be firing the Halo Array.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I'm kinda lame, I thought that maybe Chief could just have a Spartan laser as a Final Smash. Outside of that he could maybe use something like a banshee to fly off and on screen, ramming into opponents, and maybe finish off by crashing the banshee on stage creating an explosion.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Think like Blue Falcon, with the Arbiter in the gunner seat, either running opponents down on screen or gunning them down with the machine gun
Eh... kinda boring in comparison, especially since I'd like to see Warthogs as a stage interactable.

FSs are typically a character's most powerful attack (Ryu/Ken, Cloud, and Little Mac) , highlight an aspect of their original game's gameplay (Olimar/Alph, Robin, and Duck Hunt), and/or showcase said character's personality (Luigi's Brawl FS and Ridley, ).
Let's see. An antimatter charge is:

1. A very powerful attack (blows up a covenant vessel)
2. An aspect of Chief's original game (one of the most iconic moments in Halo history)
3. Showcases his personality (it was entirely Chief's idea to jettison the charge into space and manually steer it into a vessel where he kick-jumped off of it).

I picture this being his FS and not a Spartan Laser, because while the Spartan Laser is a very powerful weapon, it is nonetheless a standard weapon and hardly the most powerful weapon Chief has ever used. The Antimatter Charge is up there as one of the more powerful things Chief has "wielded" against the covenant, and it isn't as ridiculously overpowered as firing the Halo array would be, so it makes the most sense for his FS.

Spartan Laser makes the most sense as his neutral B if anything. I don't know why people think it's FS material. It takes a while to charge up and its beam is very narrow, making its utilization in Smash be more like the Light Arrow (which would be very dull for an FS). It doesn't work the way Samus's Zero Laser works.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
This kinda reaffirms that he isn't in the Fighters Pass, as I see it. I don't think 343 employees, Frank O'Connor and the official Halo Twitter account would all openly talk about the idea of Chief being in Smash if it were actually happening :(

Fingers crossed for a 2nd wave, amirite?
I'm not sure what to think if it all, really. I might be leaning towards 80 % disconfirmed, 20 % not, but I'll reserve final judgement until the actual character comes out.

But the thing is, the tweet in question got people talking and wishing for that to happen. Not only that, we know that 343 are fully okay with Chief being in Smash. No matter his status now. So if they can find a way - probably in a future pack, but still - they will do so.

Last edited:

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
This kinda reaffirms that he isn't in the Fighters Pass, as I see it. I don't think 343 employees, Frank O'Connor and the official Halo Twitter account would all openly talk about the idea of Chief being in Smash if it were actually happening :(

Fingers crossed for a 2nd wave, amirite?
Chief has already deconfirmed by Frank. But that is only for now, Sakurai probably hasn't even thought of characters passed the fighter pass yet. That tweet shows that 343 and likely Microsoft themselves would like/be okay with having Chief in Smash. I consider this pretty huge because similar to Banjo/Kazooie, we know that Microsoft is okay with having him in Smash.

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
Thats got me thinking, if Chief isn't already slated for DLC then perhaps that stunt on Twitter (gaming) is one way of gauging peoples interest in having him in the game and whether they should pursue that venture in the future?! No doubt they've considered it.
With Halo coming back into the bigger gaming sphere of attention it makes sense to do what they did on twitter as more people are following Halos happenings currently.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Thats got me thinking, if Chief isn't already slated for DLC then perhaps that stunt on Twitter (gaming) is one way of gauging peoples interest in having him in the game and whether they should pursue that venture in the future?! No doubt they've considered it.
With Halo coming back into the bigger gaming sphere of attention it makes sense to do what they did on twitter as more people are following Halos happenings currently.
Well, it did have 2.2k retweets and 9.9k likes along a plethora of comment responses saying they'd want this (some Xbox only fans saying they'd buy a Switch and smash just to play as Chief too) assuming each thing is one single individual that's about 12.1k people. Not even counting the casual passerby mind you.

As I people have said, probably reaffirms he's deconfirmed for this fighter pass, but it shows 343 and possibly Microsoft/Xbox as a whole wish for their mascot to join Smash, which has been a big thing in debate for chief. Which is a huge plus for us as we have that shown desire and want Banjo and Kazooie also have received from the company, which I say also puts us on that edge like B&K other Microsoft reps don't have.

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
With that tweet I'm now convinced that Chief isn't part of the DLC. I still had hope thinking that Frank was trolling once again, but alas it wasn't meant to be. So I guess this means that the Microsoft rep is going to be either Steve or Banjo. My money's going to Steve, he's not "dead" like Banjo and Minecraft's popularity is undeniably huge. And since Nintendo of Japan were the ones who picked the DLC characters then I'm pretty sure they'll pick Minecraft. After all, Minecraft is popular around the entire world and everyone knows the game.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I never took the Frank tweet seriously myself. Something was off about it. This one is a completely different story and puts the Chief in the same place as Cuphead. Pretty much not part of the current Fighter's Pass.

Though seeing as how we got Joker, I wouldn't say they'd necessary choose Steve. I will say, however, that Minecraft getting content is pretty much inevitable(if Microsoft has stuff) on its own. I hope, if we aren't getting a playable Chief, a Mii costume will happen at least.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
I'd say he has a good chance for the next fighter pass, but if he isn't apart of the next two I at least expect a Mii Costume.

That being said I do believe Banjo and Kazooie still has the edge over Steve due to Microsoft expressing previous desire, even if it really is up to the board of directors, that and I mean... there is specifically RARE spirit data, not spirit data for Microsoft in general. RARE spirit data alone only makes sense if Banjo and Kazooie (or Conker for all we know) join the battle and the alternative was Chief since he's the fave of the company. Wouldn't make sense for Steve to be joining and RARE spirits to come with him. That said as I've said it before and I'll say it again, he makes the most sense as an assist trophy, though I will say a Steve Mii Costume is just as likely and I'll say Steve would probably have the one that looks like him the most.

That also being said, I think some people have forgotten irrelevancy doesn't mean you're out for the count and popularity doesn't mean you're guaranteed either. We've had plenty of fighters and instances where this was proven wrong, the most notable being King K Rool's inclusion and the absence of popular characters like Waluigi, Shadow, Krystal, Bandana Waddle Dee, Paper Mario, etc. etc. from the playable roster. Of course we all know King K Rool got in due to popularity, popularity within the smash and DK communities, but that just proves the popularity of an irrelevant character can get them in over someone with more relevancy. Pretty sure we all know Banjo was a toprunner in the ballot so it's very much possible NoJ took that into account when they picked their selection for Sakurai to chose from. Which brings me to another point people here seem to skew a lot: NoJ didn't pick five fighters and force Sakurai to make them, it was clearly stated that they picked a handful of characters and presented them to Sakurai, who then decided which characters to pick from that selection based off if he could think of a move set for them. It wasn't the "We picked five fighters for you, here they are and now go make them" situation most believe to be the case. As Sakurai has stated before, he also likes to imagine the character "dancing" in his head before coming up with a moveset as well, not anything like money, popularity, etc. etc.

Anyways, I still agree this is basically a deconfirmation for chief or at least a 99% chance of dencofirmation. But based on that information I just gave, I challenge you guys to think in Sakurai's shoes in this scenario: Banjo and Kazooie, Master Chief, and Steve were just presented to you, just some images of gameplay from their games (and if you want just official art printed out) and as unbiasedly as possible imagine them "dancing" in your head, make sure to get any scenes from their mods of them being model-swapped out of your head, since Banjo and Kazooie wouldn't move like Mario, Chief wouldn't move like Falcon, and Steve wouldn't move like any of the Links. Just them and their animations from their actual games and tell me in an ordered list who "dances" the best?

SKX31

Smash Master
I'd say he has a good chance for the next fighter pass, but if he isn't apart of the next two I at least expect a Mii Costume.

That being said I do believe Banjo and Kazooie still has the edge over Steve due to Microsoft expressing previous desire, even if it really is up to the board of directors, that and I mean... there is specifically RARE spirit data, not spirit data for Microsoft in general. RARE spirit data alone only makes sense if Banjo and Kazooie (or Conker for all we know) join the battle and the alternative was Chief since he's the fave of the company. Wouldn't make sense for Steve to be joining and RARE spirits to come with him. That said as I've said it before and I'll say it again, he makes the most sense as an assist trophy, though I will say a Steve Mii Costume is just as likely and I'll say Steve would probably have the one that looks like him the most.

That also being said, I think some people have forgotten irrelevancy doesn't mean you're out for the count and popularity doesn't mean you're guaranteed either. We've had plenty of fighters and instances where this was proven wrong, the most notable being King K Rool's inclusion and the absence of popular characters like Waluigi, Shadow, Krystal, Bandana Waddle Dee, Paper Mario, etc. etc. from the playable roster. Of course we all know King K Rool got in due to popularity, popularity within the smash and DK communities, but that just proves the popularity of an irrelevant character can get them in over someone with more relevancy. Pretty sure we all know Banjo was a toprunner in the ballot so it's very much possible NoJ took that into account when they picked their selection for Sakurai to chose from. Which brings me to another point people here seem to skew a lot: NoJ didn't pick five fighters and force Sakurai to make them, it was clearly stated that they picked a handful of characters and presented them to Sakurai, who then decided which characters to pick from that selection based off if he could think of a move set for them. It wasn't the "We picked five fighters for you, here they are and now go make them" situation most believe to be the case. As Sakurai has stated before, he also likes to imagine the character "dancing" in his head before coming up with a moveset as well, not anything like money, popularity, etc. etc.

Anyways, I still agree this is basically a deconfirmation for chief or at least a 99% chance of dencofirmation. But based on that information I just gave, I challenge you guys to think in Sakurai's shoes in this scenario: Banjo and Kazooie, Master Chief, and Steve were just presented to you, just some images of gameplay from their games (and if you want just official art printed out) and as unbiasedly as possible imagine them "dancing" in your head, make sure to get any scenes from their mods of them being model-swapped out of your head, since Banjo and Kazooie wouldn't move like Mario, Chief wouldn't move like Falcon, and Steve wouldn't move like any of the Links. Just them and their animations from their actual games and tell me in an ordered list who "dances" the best?

The third datamine spirit data presents the spanner in the whole "Rare spirit thing" works; it's Devil's Third, owned by Nexon (ArcheAge, Maple Story etc,). I don't mean to be rude, but I don't think Nintendo talked with Nexon - otherwise that would be one hell of a dark horse.

As for the Sakurai question. It's complicated, probably. We know he likes both MineCraft and Halo 2 (he probably doesn't mind Banjo-Kazooie either), but each character presents its own unique advantages and drawbacks. All three are really strong choiches, so I would not be surprised if Sakurai wants all three, one by one (I'm going to focus on drawbacks since those probably played a major role in choosing the character):

For Banjo-Kazooie, the big advantage is that the moves to draw from are already there. They just need to be reworked into a Smash context. However, the problem arises with Kazooie and animations. Most of Banjo's attacks rely on Kazooie to poke her head out of the backpack (and get back in once the attack's finished, adding to start and end lag*) and do stuff. Spit out eggs, barge forward, peck three times etc. How much start-up and end lag is enough without coming off as unnaturally fast or unbearingly (hah) slow? While Ultimate's balance is the best it's been B-K can also become a balancing nightmare. Either the Kazooie attacks are safe and are going to zone people out for days, or they're unsafe and whoops, Banjo's getting punished hard from a whiffed egg attack. The biggest difficulty is not insurmountable, but can give B-K a stinging negative reputation post-launch as "Another Belmont". While B-K might be easy to create, they're not easy to maintain, especially going into Smash 6 and beyond.**

For Master Chief, he has Snake's advantage of having tons of weaponry. I think though that Sakurai wants a bit more tíme to figure out ways and design FPS characters. That's new ground for him. How do you readjust the Energy Sword, notorious one shotter as it is, into Smash, for example? Or how do you work the various weapons in? If I'm Sakurai I might look at Doomguy as testing grounds for Master Chief down the line. The two may share a genre, but have a lot of differences - still, Chief can be built using Doomguy as a very loose base. Doomguy's much simpler and direct of a FPS character after all. Still, 343 might've pointed out what Schnee117 Schnee117 did, that the Assault Rifle can fire Hardlight instead of kinetic bullets, so that's not an issue really

For Steve, he doesn't just have weaponry, he has tools. And not just tools-as-weapons, but he could do almost anything. Which is the design problem too. Where do you start? Terrain manipulation? "Mining" minerals as buffs for oneself? Summoning and building new stuff? And not just balance issues, but which to use and how they should complement each other without breaking the game like a twig. That question might be enough to put Steve on the back-burner for now, while the team figures out what to focus on.

All in all, if I'm a betting man I'm putting 50 / 50 odds on one thing: That talks for a Fighter Pass Season 2 has begun and is being considered as we speak. Depends heavily on if Sakurai considers such a load too much, but he was relieved when he got his weekends off this Fighter Pass. And Smash is his love child. So I could see it - and one of the two who "lost out" for now.

*(This is part of why I'm opposed to the Talon Trot being a move. That and there's not much B-K can do going out of it in their games - in Smash, that's ample grounds for the opponent to punish.)
**(The reason I keep harping on that is because the day Smash 6 releases will - someday - come IMHO. Not a concern now, but eventually.)

Last edited:

~?~

The Strangest Link Main
According to official Halo Lore, including the official novels and book series which all of them I've read, the MJOLNIR Mark Suit 2 Armor Exoskin that is worn by the Spartan class (Particular in John 117's Era of Spartans) weighs more than a human can lift. In fact, they had to genetically alter the spartans so they could handle the armor and be combat ready in the suit which was specially designed for these super soldiers before the Mark 3s and other upgrades were fitted to allow the standard high strength human to handle it.

This implies that Chief is a heavy in his suit, maybe even a super heavy, so I would mark that detail in the weight class you have established for him. Also, Spartans are clocked in at running an average speed of a moving vehicle. That clock speed average being 34 MPH (55 Km/H) and Kelly who was the fastest Spartan, clocked at 38 MPH, which is a lot faster than the perceived speeds of the likes of characters such as Lucina or Bowser. Augmented Spartans like John 117 (Chief) can without a bit of struggle, lift THREE TIMES their body weight, meaning they are super strength, so he should probably hit like Bowser tbh. Spartans are so strong that Cal-141 reflected a Brute's Gravity Hammer swing and nullified its effects with a single punch, and Cal isn't even the strongest Spartan, they're average. Will-043 single handedly bested 2 Hunters, and if you don't know what hunters are, they're like Tanks with legs, literally. Spartans are known in lore for punching through armor that resists asteroid-debris damage in space travel without breaking a sweat, in fact, John, as a CHILD in the program, absolutely MURDERED a top tier soldier in the UNSC division, leaving him completely disfigured and shattering bones with a couple of punches.

The reflexes and reaction time of Spartans isn't officially measured with actual numbers in lore, so I cannot speak on behalf of numbers, but it is spoken about in the lore several times as being unthinkable levels of reaction timing, and while under lethal pressure as well. This means Chief would likely have excellent jab and tilt based frame data for both startup and endlag.

I honestly believe, Like Kirby, Chief is actually far more powerful in cannon than Smash could allow him to be in game. I don't think he suits the smash role very well.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Smash doesn't always adhere to canon like that, the Pokemon's weights are all over the place.
Mewtwo is canonically heavier than Charizard but in Smash Mewtwo is a featherweight whilst Zard is a Super Heavyweight tied with Incineroar.

Chief's weight being matched to that of Samus' does still keep him towards the top of the heavyweight class though, should consult the KuroganeHammer resource for actual values actually.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
The third datamine spirit data presents the spanner in the whole "Rare spirit thing" works; it's Devil's Third, owned by Nexon (ArcheAge, Maple Story etc,). I don't mean to be rude, but I don't think Nintendo talked with Nexon - otherwise that would be one hell of a dark horse.

As for the Sakurai question. It's complicated, probably. We know he likes both MineCraft and Halo 2 (he probably doesn't mind Banjo-Kazooie either), but each character presents its own unique advantages and drawbacks. All three are really strong choiches, so I would not be surprised if Sakurai wants all three, one by one (I'm going to focus on drawbacks since those probably played a major role in choosing the character):
source?

Last edited:

LightKnight

Smash Journeyman
The reflexes and reaction time of Spartans isn't officially measured with actual numbers in lore, so I cannot speak on behalf of numbers, but it is spoken about in the lore several times as being unthinkable levels of reaction timing, and while under lethal pressure as well. This means Chief would likely have excellent jab and tilt based frame data for both startup and endlag.
I honestly believe, Like Kirby, Chief is actually far more powerful in cannon than Smash could allow him to be in game. I don't think he suits the smash role very well.
Regardless of lore, if Chief was in Smash he'd be based on how he is in the games just like the majority of the other characters already in. No doubt he could have fast tilts but I doubt the reason would be because of Halo's lore.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692

Wunderwaft

Smash Master
https://www.sourcegaming.info/2017/07/12/feelofamericangames/

That column also is the reason I see Gordon Freeman as a real dark horse.
People are sleeping on Gordon. Valve has become the face of PC gaming due to Steam, and I imagine a collaboration between Nintendo and Valve is more likely than we might think. If Nintendo ever wanted to get a character that attracts the PC audience, then they'll look no further than Steam and Valve.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
People are sleeping on Gordon. Valve has become the face of PC gaming due to Steam, and I imagine a collaboration between Nintendo and Valve is more likely than we might think. If Nintendo ever wanted to get a character that attracts the PC audience, then they'll look no further than Steam and Valve.
Gordon Freeman is my most wanted character for sure. I've just never seen him as likely. Holy **** it would be amazing to see him get in.

Chief would be great too of course, but Half-Life 1 and 2 are probably my two favorite FPS's ever.

~?~

The Strangest Link Main
Chief would also have the distinction of being the first Western 3rd Party character in Smash history
John was born and semi-raised on the planet Eridanus, so is he really "western" heuheuheuheu
I kid I kid I kid, I get what you mean tho. He would be the first with no asian genes.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Y'know, when Gabe was answering a lot of emails he actually got asked what he would say if he was approached to add Gordon into Smash Brothers and he said something in lines of "Well, I don't think we'd be in a position to say no". It's in one of the email videos Tyler McVicker did, aka Valve News Network.

Also, they actually did try once: Nintendo asked for a half-life game to be developed exclusively for the Switch for launch, they were going at it on Valve as an RTS, that then evolved into an RPG... and then it got canceled like a lot of ha,e projects d there these days.

But... yeah, seeing Sakurai liking and praising both Halo 2 and Half-Life 2 does make me think if he ever had the opportunity they'd be on a list of priorities to get in.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I’m just really glad that Master Chief discussion has skyrocketed. Could make him a very likely character for a second Fighter Pass or Smash 6.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
IMG_3244.jpg
So this tweet was made the same day the DLC was announced for Ultimate

This is her position within Mojang and Microsoft:
[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.901961)]Senior Manager, Head of Community & Player Voice (Minecraft) at Microsoft[/COLOR]

So while she isn't the person at the top, given the fact she's the head of community and is the voice of the players between the developers and the player base for minecraft, aka being the voice of both and telling each side what's what. It appears they have no interest with Steve being in Smash Bros. effectively deconfirming him as well.

So basically: Master Chief has a 99% of being deconfirmed, Steve is 100% deconfirmed, and... Banjo and Kazooie are not, they only were for base game but nothing has been said about them by Phil Spencer or RARE since November 1st. So the bear and bird are on the table for DLC still. Then Cuphead's developers flat out said their IP won't be in smash bros since they haven't been approached.

So... for those that take the public display of desire for Chief in smash displayed by 343 and Microsoft as a 100% deconfirmation, the only Microsoft reps on the table now are Banjo and Kazooie or Conker or for some reason the Pirates from Sea of Thieves, basically RARE IP. Take it as you will, since this doesn't mean the bear and bird are 100% coming home, since they might not even be in the DLC anyways, no one from Microsoft could be in Smash this fighter pass.

But this does at least say (unless Mojang and Microsoft's view change on the subject of Steve) Master Chief definitely has an edge for future fighter passes if he isn't in this first one due to their viewpoint on that blocky boi.

dinkeytom

Smash Apprentice
I feel that 343i will make another Halo trilogy with more prequels. Hopefully they will learn from their mistakes with this current one. What must have happened was a change of design philosophy of the Haloverse when Bungie left Microsoft. Although funny enough it seems that Bungie is going a similar route with the lore for Destiny. You can't seem to enjoy the games on their own without having to read up or watch its supplementary material.
It seems like other publishers are doing the same thing, such as Ubisoft.

Top Bottom