• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I need a weapon" - Master Chief

RealPokeFan11

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-0818-9732-6979
Here to pay respects to Master Chief and his supporters after just finding out about his disconfirmation. We were gonna rate him tomorrow in RTC until Ridrool64 Ridrool64 notified all of us. Welp, jumping back on the Banjo train as his chances just went up even more.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
The characters for the fighter pass have already been decided though, and if he’s not in it then he’s not in the game, unless maybe another season of DLC happens somewhere along the way, but as of now he’s still as good as deconfirmed. Unfortunate. He would’ve been a fine addition, though I guess now more will be hoping for Doomguy than ever for an FPS icon, at least unless or until he happens to get deconfirmed too.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
The characters for the fighter pass have already been decided though, and if he’s not in it then he’s not in the game, unless maybe another season of DLC happens somewhere along the way, but as of now he’s still as good as deconfirmed. Unfortunate. He would’ve been a fine addition, though I guess now more will be hoping for Doomguy than ever for an FPS icon, at least unless or until he happens to get deconfirmed too.
I wouldn't hold up your hopes for Doomguy, he got outright deconfirmed for even Mortal Kombat in a reply deeming him too violent, and it wasn't in a joking manner.

If Doomguy is too violent for Mortal Kombat there's no way he's getting in Smash. I guess if we want an FPS rep there's always Gordon Freeman from Half Life?

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
I wouldn't hold up your hopes for Doomguy, he got outright deconfirmed for even Mortal Kombat in a reply deeming him too violent, and it wasn't in a joking manner.

If Doomguy is too violent for Mortal Kombat there's no way he's getting in Smash. I guess if we want an FPS rep there's always Gordon Freeman from Half Life?
Looking up this "reply" since you brought it to my attention, I can say with confidence that was definitely a response done in jest by Ed Boon. A lot of his replies generally are done in a joking manner, though if you don't know him as well as others then I guess I can see how you might've thought he was being serious there. Plus how could he or anyone sensibly say that so-and-so is too violent for Mortal Kombat, a fighter that centers around violence? lol Boon's also known to "troll" as much as like Sakurai, if not more.

I don't really have my hopes up for Doomguy per se, but I like the idea of having him and will continue to show support since his series is a cool high profile FPS IP to discuss, like with Halo. Since you brought up MK though, Scorpion I would still like to have too, whose been shown able to work when toned down, and fighting Ryu or Ken as him in an official game would be living the dream in terms of fighting crossovers, but, I'm not really counting on him happening either, although the latest revealed MK being confirmed for the Switch does help. Same with Doomguy and most Doom games being on Nintendo platforms, but lack of notoriety in Japan is kinda the main gatekeeper against such Western made characters/IP's, for Scorpion more-so.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Looking up this "reply" since you brought it to my attention, I can say with confidence that was definitely a response done in jest by Ed Boon. A lot of his replies generally are done in a joking manner, though if you don't know him as well as others then I guess I can see how you might've thought he was being serious there. Plus how could he or anyone sensibly say that so-and-so is too violent for Mortal Kombat, a fighter that centers around violence? lol Boon's also known to "troll" as much as like Sakurai, if not more.

I don't really have my hopes up for Doomguy per se, but I like the idea of having him and will continue to show support since his series is a cool high profile FPS IP to discuss, like with Halo. Since you brought up MK though, Scorpion I would still like to have too, whose been shown able to work when toned down, and fighting Ryu or Ken as him in an official game would be living the dream in terms of fighting crossovers, but, I'm not really counting on him happening either, although the latest revealed MK being confirmed for the Switch does help. Same with Doomguy and most Doom games being on Nintendo platforms, but lack of notoriety in Japan is kinda the main gatekeeper against such Western made characters/IP's, for Scorpion more-so.
Oh... well that's cleared up for me now, least I now know it's just a joke, my bad,

Personally I wouldn't mind either of them, but I do think the violence of their characters being drastically or a tad decreased would feel a bit weird but eh... I'm open to it, even if personally I'd like no more fighting game characters to get into Smash (though that's because personally I find Ken and Ryu boring to play and annoying due to having input commands to have stronger versions of their attacks, though seeming as Scorpion doesn't play like either of them I'm open to the idea slightly more I suppose, especially since I believe he has fire elemental attacks and that chain kunai thing, as long as he also doesn't have special input commands like Ryu and Ken I might even find him fun to play as).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Sorry everyone. I'm guessing that Chief's chances for making this game are probably out, second wave of DLC or not, though it would have been better if it wasn't said straight from the horse's mouth.

Oh... well that's cleared up for me now, least I now know it's just a joke, my bad,

Personally I wouldn't mind either of them, but I do think the violence of their characters being drastically or a tad decreased would feel a bit weird but eh... I'm open to it, even if personally I'd like no more fighting game characters to get into Smash (though that's because personally I find Ken and Ryu boring to play and annoying due to having input commands to have stronger versions of their attacks, though seeming as Scorpion doesn't play like either of them I'm open to the idea slightly more I suppose, especially since I believe he has fire elemental attacks and that chain kunai thing, as long as he also doesn't have special input commands like Ryu and Ken I might even find him fun to play as).
As an example of Boon trolling, he recently debunked a "leak" of MK11's starting roster by essentially laughing at the leaker's face. He may not be as overt as Kamiya or ArcSys, but he does mess with people.

That being said, on the subject of fighting game character concerns, I am firm in my belief that SNK wouldn't necessarily need to have a Fatal Fury/KoF character in Smash, since the Metal Slug crew (from a platformer series) would fit in pretty well. But that's neither here nor there.

In Scorpion's case, he has the benefit of having moves that can transition fairly easily. I guess that Fatalities could make characters get vaporized ala Ultimate Zelda? That's one way to circumvent around the gore problem.

Don't forget Heavy from TF2, he's larger than life enough to make it work. There's still the problem of no Nintendo appearances there though...

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Sorry everyone. I'm guessing that Chief's chances for making this game are probably out, second wave of DLC or not, though it would have been better if it wasn't said straight from the horse's mouth.

As an example of Boon trolling, he recently debunked a "leak" of MK11's starting roster by essentially laughing at the leaker's face. He may not be as overt as Kamiya or ArcSys, but he does mess with people.

That being said, on the subject of fighting game character concerns, I am firm in my belief that SNK wouldn't necessarily need to have a Fatal Fury/KoF character in Smash, since the Metal Slug crew (from a platformer series) would fit in pretty well. But that's neither here nor there.

In Scorpion's case, he has the benefit of having moves that can transition fairly easily. I guess that Fatalities could make characters get vaporized ala Ultimate Zelda? That's one way to circumvent around the gore problem.

Don't forget Heavy from TF2, he's larger than life enough to make it work. There's still the problem of no Nintendo appearances there though...
Fair point with all of those... they could just get YEETED like Ridley and Zelda's final smashes do at 100%.

I mean... if we're looking for a series or at least a character that appeared on a Nintendo system... Portal? After all it has been on Nintendo systems twice... with spin-offs though, LEGO DIMENSIONS and Portsl Bridge Constructor or whatever. Though while Chell would be interesting as a fighter I feel like she'd work as an assist trophy a tad better... though she'd basically be the AT equivalent of Abra, glaDOS though? Perfect for a boss if you ask me, more so if like Metal Face she gives some "Unique Commentary". Though Portal is linked to Half Life so... it could work still with Freeman I guess?

Funnily enough my younger cousin's most requested character is Heavy from TF2, went on basically every computer he could to cast a vote for him in the ballot. Honestly though... anyone from Valve is a pipe dream like Chief is... at least they're a pipe dream not yet outright deconfirmed.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
The way I see that message is it means the user downloaded Smash... and there's obviously no DLC implemented yet among the actual characters.

Sakurai confirmed Joker hasn't even been worked on yet. It's impossible for Master Chief to be in the game if the other 4 DLC characters are not in the game as well, which is implied by Sakurai's statement.

I don't think it legit means much. Besides that, if he knew anything, he'd be under NDA to say "not in the game", which is still the truth anyway. It's also a literal statement in this case. So I don't believe it means anything due to the full context and Sakurai's statement on Joker. That said, I won't pretend he's super likely even with this in mind. 20% max is how I feel on him. I feel lower on Banjo, to be honest, and way higher on Steve. The last one I can think of(besides maybe a Battletoad) is Fulgore, but he's from a fighting game series that's more or less competing with other fighting games, so I could see him not be a considered option or Microsoft would say no due to that alone. Chief, on the other hand, isn't from a series that's in direct competition with any of Nintendo's(Nintendo doesn't have an active FPS series). So business-wise, Cheif nor Steve would do anything problematic to cut into sales. Nor would Banjo, of course. Fulgore, on the other hand, could.

TheFVguy

Smash Apprentice
Have been playing the Halo games and I'm really enjoying them and the character.
Close to impossible? Yeah, probably, still would love to see him in the game!

+1 Support!

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
The way I see that message is it means the user downloaded Smash... and there's obviously no DLC implemented yet among the actual characters.

Sakurai confirmed Joker hasn't even been worked on yet. It's impossible for Master Chief to be in the game if the other 4 DLC characters are not in the game as well, which is implied by Sakurai's statement.

I don't think it legit means much. Besides that, if he knew anything, he'd be under NDA to say "not in the game", which is still the truth anyway. It's also a literal statement in this case. So I don't believe it means anything due to the full context and Sakurai's statement on Joker. That said, I won't pretend he's super likely even with this in mind. 20% max is how I feel on him. I feel lower on Banjo, to be honest, and way higher on Steve. The last one I can think of(besides maybe a Battletoad) is Fulgore, but he's from a fighting game series that's more or less competing with other fighting games, so I could see him not be a considered option or Microsoft would say no due to that alone. Chief, on the other hand, isn't from a series that's in direct competition with any of Nintendo's(Nintendo doesn't have an active FPS series). So business-wise, Cheif nor Steve would do anything problematic to cut into sales. Nor would Banjo, of course. Fulgore, on the other hand, could.
You know, that actually is a good point. While this guy is an employee, that doesn't necessariyl make him an insider regarding Chief in Smash. He's certainly not an authoritative official twitter source.

Though, that does raise the question. How could he have even downloaded the DLC when it wasn't even out yet and be able to confirm who's in or not?

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
You know, that actually is a good point. While this guy is an employee, that doesn't necessariyl make him an insider regarding Chief in Smash. He's certainly not an authoritative official twitter source.

Though, that deos raise the question. How could he have even downloaded the DLC when it wasn't even out yet and be able to confirm who's in or not?
I'm pretty sure he didn't.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
So, essentially that would mean that Master Chief is still in the running!
That's exactly what it means. It's confirmed nobody is in playable state or released. He cannot know.

Don't get me wrong, they might be slightly different statements. He might already know the negotiations fell through, and then is saying he later on downloaded the game and obviously he wouldn't be there(spirit or otherwise). Twitter is kind of bad at allowing paragraphs due to a very low amount of words available. It's really easy for people to write things poorly. Hence why the context appears to be specifically that he knows from downloading the game only, and nothing else.

It's not a good confirmation he's out of the running due to how confusing the statement is, basically. But more importantly, we know that Joker could not have been playable. There's no good reason to believe anybody else was remotely ready(bar maybe Piranha Plant, but he's not part of the other 5 choices that Joker is).

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
That's exactly what it means. It's confirmed nobody is in playable state or released. He cannot know.

Don't get me wrong, they might be slightly different statements. He might already know the negotiations fell through, and then is saying he later on downloaded the game and obviously he wouldn't be there(spirit or otherwise). Twitter is kind of bad at allowing paragraphs due to a very low amount of words available. It's really easy for people to write things poorly. Hence why the context appears to be specifically that he knows from downloading the game only, and nothing else.

It's not a good confirmation he's out of the running due to how confusing the statement is, basically. But more importantly, we know that Joker could not have been playable. There's no good reason to believe anybody else was remotely ready(bar maybe Piranha Plant, but he's not part of the other 5 choices that Joker is).
It's funny how leakers will claim this or that or whatever and suddenly there's a direct or a famitsu article that disproves them, and suddenly there's a whole new wave of fake leakers claiming they knew that all along, rinse an repeat.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Frank did not tell us enough information that knows anything behind the scenes.

His statement only implied Master Chief wasn't in the game itself after downloading it. It's a literal truth.

It's not impossible that Chief was never negotiated for and he knows about that. But that's not what he said. His information doesn't imply any of that. He isn't legitimately disconfirmed. He's just not in the game you can currently download. That's all that's made clear. If he's under NDA, he wouldn't be able to say much more anyway. The vague statement is made in a way that people will think Chief isn't going to be in, which makes sure people will be surprised. NDA's are also not hardset in how they work. Many are able to say a lot of information, but only to a certain extent. What he said is literal enough that it doesn't prove he isn't in Smash DLC later on, nor say he is. It's basically a nothing statement in proper context. Without breaking the possible NDA. If NDA's were always the same agreement, then we'd have an answer, but they don't work that way.

So while I don't actually think he's likely to a major degree(I'm still on 20%), this statement overall doesn't do anything. Not the way it's poorly worded, anyway.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Frank did not tell us enough information that knows anything behind the scenes.

His statement only implied Master Chief wasn't in the game itself after downloading it. It's a literal truth.

It's not impossible that Chief was never negotiated for and he knows about that. But that's not what he said. His information doesn't imply any of that. He isn't legitimately disconfirmed. He's just not in the game you can currently download. That's all that's made clear. If he's under NDA, he wouldn't be able to say much more anyway. The vague statement is made in a way that people will think Chief isn't going to be in, which makes sure people will be surprised. NDA's are also not hardset in how they work. Many are able to say a lot of information, but only to a certain extent. What he said is literal enough that it doesn't prove he isn't in Smash DLC later on, nor say he is. It's basically a nothing statement in proper context. Without breaking the possible NDA. If NDA's were always the same agreement, then we'd have an answer, but they don't work that way.

So while I don't actually think he's likely to a major degree(I'm still on 20%), this statement overall doesn't do anything. Not the way it's poorly worded, anyway.

Fair points I guess... I'll still have my hopes up for Chief then. Though I will always believe Steve should be an assist trophy due to the fact he wouldn't be able to do the things that make Minecraft... Minecraft in a moveset and just be a combination of Link and Villager, really the only character I feel like would be better represented as a assist trophy rather than ever being a playable character. (Plus as I said, Steve has no personality so one would kinda just get... empty vibes from him).

Though as spoken the DLC isn't even done and Joker is apparently in early development/just reaching the middle of development I don't think he knows anyone besides Joker sinde that was publicly unveiled. So Chief isn't out of the running to be in the DLC pass, nonetheless the question arises: why didn't he just ignore it? Couldn't he have just ignored it and let it be? Pretty sure most developers do that when asked by random people if "X character is in X game" or something around the lines.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Fair points I guess... I'll still have my hopes up for Chief then. Though I will always believe Steve should be an assist trophy due to the fact he wouldn't be able to do the things that make Minecraft... Minecraft in a moveset and just be a combination of Link and Villager, really the only character I feel like would be better represented as a assist trophy rather than ever being a playable character. (Plus as I said, Steve has no personality so one would kinda just get... empty vibes from him).
I'm not sure on the personality, but he's not really like Link or Villager either. He's in a completely different type of genre and simply having a sword as an option doesn't make him like Link. Villager also cannot combine items, so he has nothing in common with Villager either in that way. The only thing he has in common with Villager and Link is being a player avatar. That's literally it. Also, to be fair, Ryu has almost no personality either. Like, he's the most shallow protagonist ever created. He's really really boring. It works fine, but he's still boring as hell.

Though as spoken the DLC isn't even done and Joker is apparently in early development/just reaching the middle of development I don't think he knows anyone besides Joker sinde that was publicly unveiled. So Chief isn't out of the running to be in the DLC pass, nonetheless the question arises: why didn't he just ignore it? Couldn't he have just ignored it and let it be? Pretty sure most developers do that when asked by random people if "X character is in X game" or something around the lines.
As I said before, NDA's aren't consistent. He might be allowed to say stuff. This is part of why I don't think he's likely. But he also cannot say he literally is in the game. By telling a hard truth that logically makes sense, he might be getting around the NDA.

That said, yes, I do agree there's a fair chance he knows the actual facts about the negotiations. I doubt the negotiations haven't started yet, as the DLC was chosen quite a while back. It might be a straight disconfirmation. It's just a weird context that makes it questionable. I can fully understand people coming to the conclusion he's a hard no now.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
I'm not sure on the personality, but he's not really like Link or Villager either. He's in a completely different type of genre and simply having a sword as an option doesn't make him like Link. Villager also cannot combine items, so he has nothing in common with Villager either in that way. The only thing he has in common with Villager and Link is being a player avatar. That's literally it. Also, to be fair, Ryu has almost no personality either. Like, he's the most shallow protagonist ever created. He's really really boring. It works fine, but he's still boring as hell.

As I said before, NDA's aren't consistent. He might be allowed to say stuff. This is part of why I don't think he's likely. But he also cannot say he literally is in the game. By telling a hard truth that logically makes sense, he might be getting around the NDA.

That said, yes, I do agree there's a fair chance he knows the actual facts about the negotiations. I doubt the negotiations haven't started yet, as the DLC was chosen quite a while back. It might be a straight disconfirmation. It's just a weird context that makes it questionable. I can fully understand people coming to the conclusion he's a hard no now.
Oh I know that, but I'm saying him combining materials to create blocks, mining things, placing stuff down and destroying things aren't going to work or are feasible in a smash moveset if Heitachi wasn't possible due to s complex moveset like that. Aka, Steve wouldn't be able to do what makes Minecraft, well... Minecraft, which is why I say he's a way better fit for an assist trophy.

I say without that uniqueness of Minecraft which would legit be impossible to pull off as a playable character he'd basically fall down into a combination of Link, Villager, and and Isabelle, could he use said items I'm about to list in different ways? Maybe, but it'll most likely be almost exactly like them.

So... let's see, what tools does Steve have he could use for combat...

A sword, shield... like Link.

A pickaxe, unlikely to be used due to its main purpose in MC not being able to be applied to smash bros but would be a unique weapon, I admit that.

A shovel... like Villager.

A bow and arrow... like all three Links.

The hoe... not even used for combat in Minecraft but would most likely be like Death's Scythe minus range and its gimmick.

The axe ... like Villager.

Elektra? Gliding was removed from the series for a reason.

Bucket... like Isabelle, granted it could aesetnicslly be changed to lava.

Fishing rod... like Isabelle

Some out of the box items would most likely be a flower pot... like Villager, perhaps the snowball even though it doesn't do damage in Minecraft, would be unique in Ultimate but ice and snow projectiles are covered by Ice Climbers and customs in Smash 4.

Ender pearl? Once again I'd admit this would be a unique recovery even if it is just teleportation.

Inventory storage... Isabelle and Villager's pocket abilities is what this would be.

Point is... anything Steve could do is already done to death by two characters and their semi-clones since crafting, building, and demolition would be impossible to incooperate into a fighter. While of course Ryu certainly has the least powerful one, even being beaten by Mr, Game and Watch and R.O.B., at least he has one. Steve is a much better fit for assist trophy status than playable fighter. However... if they manage to incorporate crafting, building, and demolition for Steve in a moveset if he's an actual character, representing what Minecraft is in its base form (since Steve would be in a way like Game and Watch, representing his game rather than himself due to the lack of personality) ignoring all the PvP and mods then I will eat my words and admit I was wrong despite how impossible it seems to incooperate a complex thing like that.

Anyways... that's good to know I suppose, I'm not really well versed in all that legal and NDA stuff so to someone not well versed in that sort of deal it's just extra confusing. Nonetheless I'm hoping it won't be a straight up deconfirmation but... if Master Chief isn't a fighter I'll be more than happy to accept a Mii Costume since we're getting those as DLC now, 75 cents per purchase and well... Mii Costumes are apparently a step closer to being a playable character than being an assist trophy is so... there's that.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Oh I know that, but I'm saying him combining materials to create blocks, mining things, placing stuff down and destroying things aren't going to work or are feasible in a smash moveset if Heitachi wasn't possible due to s complex moveset like that. Aka, Steve wouldn't be able to do what makes Minecraft, well... Minecraft, which is why I say he's a way better fit for an assist trophy.
Heihachi wasn't possible because his game is also in 3D. That's not easy to transfer over to 2D. This isn't a similar situation at all. His moveset wasn't really "complex", just impossible to translate to 2D due to being a 3D fighter. A lot of 3D fighters have the ability to pull a person into the Z-axis. This cannot be done in Smash. This may part of what he means by being difficult to transfer over. Either way, very different situation, since what Steve's mechanic is is more comparable to needing lots of power to create a lot of things, so it might be more comparable to Ice Climbers or the complexity that Dixie had during Brawl. Right now, the closest thing we have is Peach's Down B, which is creating something out of nowhere.

I say without that uniqueness of Minecraft which would legit be impossible to pull off as a playable character he'd basically fall down into a combination of Link, Villager, and and Isabelle, could he use said items I'm about to list in different ways? Maybe, but it'll most likely be almost exactly like them.

So... let's see, what tools does Steve have he could use for combat...

A sword, shield... like Link.

A pickaxe, unlikely to be used due to its main purpose in MC not being able to be applied to smash bros but would be a unique weapon, I admit that.

A shovel... like Villager.

A bow and arrow... like all three Links.

The hoe... not even used for combat in Minecraft but would most likely be like Death's Scythe minus range and its gimmick.

The axe ... like Villager.

Elektra? Gliding was removed from the series for a reason.

Bucket... like Isabelle, granted it could aesetnicslly be changed to lava.

Fishing rod... like Isabelle

Some out of the box items would most likely be a flower pot... like Villager, perhaps the snowball even though it doesn't do damage in Minecraft, would be unique in Ultimate but ice and snow projectiles are covered by Ice Climbers and customs in Smash 4.

Ender pearl? Once again I'd admit this would be a unique recovery even if it is just teleportation.

Inventory storage... Isabelle and Villager's pocket abilities is what this would be.
Eh, Pocket is not really the same thing. It has a strict purpose of only working on stuff that count as projectiles or regular items you can grab. And then reuse them. For Steve, he's about reusing the stuff he grabs into new things. So using his Inventory Storage would also help him create more items. It's just a matter of figuring out what items to create. Which in itself may be too complex, which I could see why Sakurai would want an easier to create character. He might work better for base game as playable, since he'd have more time to work on Steve.

Point is... anything Steve could do is already done to death by two characters and their semi-clones since crafting, building, and demolition would be impossible to incooperate into a fighter. While of course Ryu certainly has the least powerful one, even being beaten by Mr, Game and Watch and R.O.B., at least he has one. Steve is a much better fit for assist trophy status than playable fighter. However... if they manage to incorporate crafting, building, and demolition for Steve in a moveset if he's an actual character, representing what Minecraft is in its base form (since Steve would be in a way like Game and Watch, representing his game rather than himself due to the lack of personality) ignoring all the PvP and mods then I will eat my words and admit I was wrong despite how impossible it seems to incooperate a complex thing like that.
He doesn't even make remote sense as an AT. It doesn't show off any of his real capabilities. And that stuff isn't "done to death". Slightly similar does not mean the same. You're still simplyfing him with too much. It's even worse because he wouldn't fit well as an AT at all. He's a case of playable or nothing(bar a Spirit, which could at least faithfully represent one of his abilities, or more than one Spirit) in full gameplay. If you want a proper AT that can be faithfully represented, you have the Creeper. Otherwise, nothing else does a good job nor is feasible.

Also, Steve is a specific character. Personality isn't everything. He still displays some among his games, though very little(like Ryu). Mr. Game & Watch isn't an actual character. I get what you mean, but the comparison should only exist because Steve is meant to be a player avatar, which is more like what the Game & Watch's are to a degree. Simple and generic, and doing what they can.

Anyways... that's good to know I suppose, I'm not really well versed in all that legal and NDA stuff so to someone not well versed in that sort of deal it's just extra confusing. Nonetheless I'm hoping it won't be a straight up deconfirmation but... if Master Chief isn't a fighter I'll be more than happy to accept a Mii Costume since we're getting those as DLC now, 75 cents per purchase and well... Mii Costumes are apparently a step closer to being a playable character than being an assist trophy is so... there's that.
It's not really "apparently". You're still playing as their model in some way. It's not perfect, but it's giving you control of the character in some way. AT's have more gameplay, but uncontrollable. Mii Fighter costumes have less accurate gameplay, but are controllable.

And yeah, NDA is always complicated and confusing. But that's because there is no straight NDA's that exist as a whole. They're written agreements that vary depending the situation. Some are more strict than others. While there's a highly strong chance he knows there's no negotiations, the fact he makes it sound like he only knows cause he downloaded a current copy implies he only knows... because of this and this alone. It could be poor writing(as Tweets often aren't done with paragraphs in mind), but it wouldn't explain how he knew. He can't literally say that negotiations fell through even then. That might be against the rules of what he's allowed to say by default. Just confirming he's not DLC may be allowed, since it's an official Microsoft statement. But why that is could be considered Company Only Information. Sakurai also doesn't release this kind of information till wayyyyyyyyy later as is. He didn't note that Geno was unable to be in Brawl till an extremely long time later, around 10 years later. There could be verbal agreements about company discussion, even without NDA's. Negotiations falling through can easily be considered secret till a time passes. They're kind of like NDA's, but could be in-company rules too.

SushiKarasumori

Smash Rookie
Master Chief and the classic Bungie-era Halo Universe should have a spot in Smash.

Aesthetic

Chief absolutely needs to be designed with respect to the classic Halo games that Bungie made, specifically Halo 2 and Halo 3. The design needs to be designed to match the Mjolnir Mark VI armor that Master Chief and other surviving Spartan II supersoldiers use. In the classic Halo games, players can modify their appearance by changing their color and certain parts of their armor, there should be skins for different colored Spartans, there especially needs to be a skin for hot pink Spartans.

Attacks

I think that his attacks should include powerful Spartan punches like what Cal-141 used during her fight with the Brute in Halo Legends.

Other attacks could involve him using various weapons like his trademark dual-wielded M7 SMG's and his M6C Magnum similar to how Samus, Zero Suit Samus, and Bayonetta use their projectile weapons. Charged left or right attacks might have Chief pull out an M90 shotgun if he is on the ground or a very strong kick if he is in the air.

I don't know a lot about how Smash movements and attacks work, but I think that Master Chief and Spartan II soldiers leave a lot to be worked with.

Final Smash

He could target a portion of the map or a player to be blasted by an Orbital Magnetic Accelerator Cannon or call his pal the Arbiter to hit them with a Glassing Energy Projector instead. You can see both in the spoiler.

M.A.C. & E.P.
M.A.C.
E.P. & M.A.C.

Stages

There is a lot to work with for creating a beautiful stage if the Master Chief came as a DLC. I think that the stage, or stages, should be Forerunner-themed. The Forerunners are an extinct race of ancient aliens who lived 100,000 years ago, much of the details regarding them are shrouded in mystery and much of the Halo Story takes place within their ancient structures.

There is a lot and a Forerunner stage would be gorgeous.

Music

Hit up Martin O'Donnell and fly him to Japan.

There is so much to work with from Bungie's Halo universe and I think that it could be beautifully integrated into Smash.

Last edited:

3DSNinja

Smash Lord
We already have a Master Chief thread bro, check the Support thread listing.

axel_

Smash Journeyman
Easy support. If there's any games that I could say defined my childhood, it would be Mario RPG and Halo 3. Having Chief in Smash has been my massive pipe-dream since the Brawl days. I understand that he's deconfirmed for now, but until Smash is done I'll rally for Master Chief.

We already have a Master Chief thread bro, check the Support thread listing.
Unless there's another support thread listing, I looked through it and there was no Chief.

Last edited:

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Unless there's another support thread listing, I looked through it and there was no Chief.
He was there. Either he suddenly got added before you threw out the post, or you simply missed it. There's at least 3 characters with Master in their name including Chief himself, so I can see that being easy to do.

Regardless, even if he isn't playable, he's make a stellar Mii Gunner costume.

Grie

Smash Apprentice
He was there. Either he suddenly got added before you threw out the post, or you simply missed it. There's at least 3 characters with Master in their name including Chief himself, so I can see that being easy to do.
Regardless, even if he isn't playable, he's make a stellar Mii Gunner costume.
I would legit not be mad in any way because 1, he is represented somehow and 2, I really like mii gunner in this game.
(On another note, I’m throwing my support for chief. He is without question my most wanted character.)

Last edited:

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
I still think there’s always hope for the second Fighter Pass. This game is doing way too good for there to just be one set of DLC. Master Chief would be a “Cloud Tier” character to include too; someone who’d draw massive hype & make everyone go insane.

& even if Chief doesn’t get in then, it’s always good to keep talking about him so he could have a bigger chance for the next game. I have a feeling “Everyone is here” happened only because of the support for Snake, Wolf & Icies.

The support we give now could impact the future. I’m seeing a lot of support for Chief recently & it’s making me happy.

Also I really like the moveset in the OP, but I think Chief should use a larger variety of Halo weapons. For example, his side Smash should be the Gravity Hammer & his tilts should use the Energy Sword.

magiciandude

Smash Journeyman
No way! Smash Bros should only feature Nintendo characters in Smash! What's next? PS icons like Snake and Cloud or even Joker from Persona 5 appearing in Smash Bros? That would never happen!

Yeah go ahead and add me I guess. :p

Last edited:

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
Add me, too. Not sure if I already showed my support on here but I'd love to see Master Chief.

Kaberman

Smash Rookie
I feel like people on this thread have an unrealistic expectation of what weapons Master Chief could use in his moveset. Imo all the UNSC rifles, the Magnum, SMG and the Shotgun are too close to real weaponry for Sakurai to put them in.

That doesn't rule Master Chief out though, he can use mostly Covenant weaponry and still feel like a faithful representation of himself. I'd even argue that the Covenant arsenal is more iconic to Halo than the UNSC aresenal is. Also Master Chief has a history of jumping down to earth from Covenant spaceships, so it could be justified as him just having done so if his entrance animation was him crashing down onto the stage. I like to imagine his moveset would look something like:

Needler+Plasma Pistol for his Neutral B, Down B switches between them. To represent the dual weapon carry weight that's always been in Halo. He always holds the equipped weapon in his right hand and bashes people with it in his Jab/Pummel/Aerials. Needler fires straight forward with slight homing and explodes if X needles hit. Plasma Pistol would function similar to Samus Neutral B. Difference being this would barely do any damage but a fully charged shot destroys shields instantly. Switching weapons resets Plasma Pistol charge.

Energy sword is used for Tilts and Dash attack. The Dash attack functions like the lunge attack in Halo. Boosting Master Chief forward and then uppercutting them with the sword.

Gravity Hammer is used for Smash attacks. In addition to the actual hitbox there's a windbox like Palutena's Side Smash has.

It'd be a neat nod if his Up B was a Frag Grenade and he had to grenade jump for his recovery.

Side B could be a command grab similar to Ridley's Side B. Mostly because he'd need the extra recovery special but it could represent his ability to hijack vehicles and kicking their pilots out. Hell it'd be a neat easter egg if it stole Wario's bike.

Also having him manually stick you with a Sticky Grenade in one of his throws would be badass.

Master Chief is canonicaly 2.13M/7 Feet tall and weighs half a ton/1000 Pounds so it might be justifiable to make him a super heavy weight. It'd also help him stick out from the other Heavy shooter characters with his additional weight and from the other super heavy weights by being human.

Last edited:

I'd Negæte That

Smash Cadet
I feel like people on this thread have an unrealistic expectation of what weapons Master Chief could use in his moveset. Imo all the UNSC rifles, the Magnum, SMG and the Shotgun are too close to real weaponry for Sakurai to put them in.
I think the railgun and the spartan laser would be acceptable, though. More of a flashy effect, anyway.

SpectreJordan

Smash Lord
NNID
SpectreJordan
We’ll have to see if Joker gets his gun or not. Sakurai may have changed his mind since Brawl.

Though, I do agree that Covenant weapons would work well.

Top Bottom