• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I need a weapon" - Master Chief

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
With Reggie's comments, I can imagine that Chief has a non-zero chance, maybe even a decent one. Obviously Nintendo and Microsoft have to be working together on something. And they said fighters would be unexpected. Steve and Banjo have racked up a ton of popularity and were heavily speculated for the base game, a lot more than Chief (and Doomslayer, for that matter). To be fair, I feel like Chief has great chance as an unexpected pick. Besides, what better way to make fun on Sony again than to put the figurehead of Microsoft in Smash before Crash or Spyro?

ZelDan

Smash Master
While I still think Chief's chances are pretty damn slim for obvious reasons, I don't think his chances are completely non-existant. Chief would definitely be "surprising" and "unexpected."

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Can I have the comment where he/she comments on the matter?
They say:

“As a fan of both [Halo and Smash Bros.], I think it’d be awesome! I’ve got no idea if it would ever happen, but I’m sure folks at 343 & MSFT would be open to discussing if our friends at Nintendo ever reach out. :)

It’s said by ske7ch343 in response to the user Strikefreedom117.

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
They say:

“As a fan of both [Halo and Smash Bros.], I think it’d be awesome! I’ve got no idea if it would ever happen, but I’m sure folks at 343 & MSFT would be open to discussing if our friends at Nintendo ever reach out. :)

It’s said by ske7ch343 in response to the user Strikefreedom117.
That's a non-answer from someone that isn't a higher up. I wouldn't look into it.

All this potentially says is that i343 would be open to Chief in Smash.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Thinking about a potential Master Chief trailer, do you guys think it would be awesome if 343 recomposed Lifelight in the style of the Halo theme before revealing him? I mean, I certainly hear it in my head.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Thinking about a potential Master Chief trailer, do you guys think it would be awesome if 343 recomposed Lifelight in the style of the Halo theme before revealing him? I mean, I certainly hear it in my head.
I was thinking it would be in a similar way to how they revealed Cloud, except with One Final Effort in the background.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
I really think that the direction Nintendo said they were moving in on the Joker release means things are a LOT better for the out there picks. I'm actually more worried that they won't have a single other Nintendo DLC because there's a couple that I'm really hoping for.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Chief is iconic, no denying that, but so is Doomguy. Chief may be the face of MS but Doomguy is the face of the series that defined an entire genre.

Halo and Chief may be more recent and therefore fresher in people's minds, but despite it's age, Doom is not dead. Far from it, Doom on Switch is one of the more notable releases on the platform and even the classic games are kept alive thru mods that continue to be made to this day.

I personally feel the Chief and Doomslayer have been fleshed out and diverged enough that they could actually both be added without even being very similar. Their arsenal's don't have that much overlap, Doomslayer now has a ****in grappling shotty and predator armblade while Chief has jump jets and ground pounds.

My dream is for both to be added, both deserve it, both are from series iconic enough and important enough, with music and locale's that would be a huge get for smash and make it even greater. Honestly I'll be ecstatic if even one gets in, and I love that Joker has made both more plausible and likely.
I absolutely agree! I'd love to have both Master Chief and Doomslayer.

I'd like to add that if rumors about the next DLC character are true, that would be a very Japanese centered pick. They could balance it out with a western pick if you know what I mean.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I absolutely agree! I'd love to have both Master Chief and Doomslayer.

I'd like to add that if rumors about the next DLC character are true, that would be a very Japanese centered pick. They could balance it out with a western pick if you know what I mean.
If we seriously get a Japanese exclusive fighter I'm going to scream.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
Japanese Exclusive? Maybe I don't know enough about this rumored character, but
Erdrick is from Dragon Quest, right? That's not exclusive to Japan, is it? Or maybe his particular games are?

I mean, if that character really is only Japanese, then maybe they do decide to balance that out. Who knows what it might entail?

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Japanese Exclusive? Maybe I don't know enough about this rumored character, but
Erdrick is from Dragon Quest, right? That's not exclusive to Japan, is it? Or maybe his particular games are?

I mean, if that character really is only Japanese, then maybe they do decide to balance that out. Who knows what it might entail?
I though that Hitagi or someone claimed that a character from a Japanese exclusive mobile game was going to be DLC. But that was before Joker, so no one holds any credibility anymore.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
I thought that Hitagi or someone claimed that a character from a Japanese exclusive mobile game was going to be DLC. But that was before Joker, so no one holds any credibility anymore.
Oh, that was the Granblue character. I think he's not backing that claim anymore, but I could be mistaken. Seems like he's still adamant about
Steve being a fighter, though

Rasumii

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Rasumii
I’ll toss my support in there.

Hell, why not? I always enjoyed Halo, and it’d certainly be an out there pick. Would not be disappointed in the slightest.

Jovahexeon Joranvexeon

Smash Champion
I'm here to pledge my support for Master Chief himself! I think he'd be a stellar addition to the Smash cast, so sign me up as a supporter!

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
You could say his biggest obstacle is Halo's obscurity in Japan. Xbox and Halo are nothing there. Banjo and Steve have more worldwide appeal than him.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
You could say his biggest obstacle is Halo's obscurity in Japan. Xbox and Halo are nothing there. Banjo and Steve have more worldwide appeal than him.
They've added characters who have more appeal in the west than in Japan so it really isn't that much of an obstacle to be honest. I also feel that Banjo's appeal is being vastly overrated given his absence for the past decade.

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
Right. They both have better odds, if we're being realistic. The former has greater international appeal and is an increasingly popular fan request. Steve, while seemingly disliked by many in the community, would be a highly sought-after character the world over, due to Minecraft's massive popularity. with this in mind, I think Nintendo would have to specifically search for a character who has great western fame, if Chief were to get in. But it's a specific circumstance, and one that seems even less likely considering that Nintendo themselves gave Sakurai a list. I'm not sure why they would put Chief among those names, unless Reggie's comments about surprising character picks were a lot more serious than we anticipated.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
They've added characters who have more appeal in the west than in Japan so it really isn't that much of an obstacle to be honest. I also feel that Banjo's appeal is being vastly overrated given his absence for the past decade.

They would only add Banjo on a hype whim like they did with Ridley and King K. Rool. If they wanted "unexpected" picks, Chief would be the best Microsoft rep. He is, after all, the face of Xbox.

Last edited:

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
Not Japanese exclusive but definitely more aimed towards the Japanese audience.

In terms of
Steve
, that was mentioned by Hitagi, which is a different leaker. They supposedly have credibility but we'll see. I'm almost positive about a Microsoft rep, though.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Not Japanese exclusive but definitely more aimed towards the Japanese audience.

In terms of
Steve
, that was mentioned by Hitagi, which is a different leaker. They supposedly have credibility but we'll see. I'm almost positive about a Microsoft rep, though.
The thing is, "Steve" is a lot more anticipated than Master Chief is, so I'm really holding on to that "unexpected fighters" thing Reggie said. Besides, did Hitagi get Joker right, or did he abstain from predicting the first fighter?

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Are we certain this isn't an NDA that allows for them to deny it? Otherwise, that means Dante is out of the running too after what Matt Walker said.
That is going into conspiracy theory level. Let's not play that game when developers are direct and firm to us.

If that is the summer tweet; no. Base game and DLC are different projects.

Last edited:

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
Reading his comments I'm surprised he mentioned Blinx! I haven't played it yet but as far as original Xbox games it has been on my radar for awhile.

Not surprised Master Chief didn't make it in. However, this could open possibility of Xbox crossover? ;) :p

*Puts on tin foil hat* What if all those mentions were hinting at the possibility of Xbox doing it's own crossover! What if Master Chief wasn't going to get in Smash Bros because he was never meant to because he is going to be the "Face" of the upcoming crossover! We could have Master Chief, Marcus Fenix, and Blinx all announced first! :crazy: :joyful:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Yeah figured.
Never had high hopes but at least it's out of the way now.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
Joker's inclusion made me believe anything is possible. so I'm throwing my hat in the ring! The Chief is my new number 1!

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Rest in peace Chief, one day the true ultimate third party dream will be realized... for now I suppose a Microsoft rep only reasonably lands on the shoulders of Banjo and Kazooie or Steve.

God I hope that bird and bear duo get in instead of the dude made of blocks whose better fit to be an assist trophy.

UnknownJ25

Smash Journeyman
Damn, Master Chief was one of my most wanted and the hype behind him would be dope as hell. RIP Chief I hope we get a Microsoft rep in someway (but please don't be the block boy)

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
I don't get the vitriol towards Steve. Sure, maybe people see him as being in competition with the Bear and Bird or the now-deceased Chief, which is fair, but shouldn't color people's perception of him like this. Minecraft is a hugely influential game with plenty of uniqueness to bring to Smash, so I don't think it deserves the scorn it often gets.

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
I don't get the vitriol towards Steve. Sure, maybe people see him as being in competition with the Bear and Bird or the now-deceased Chief, which is fair, but shouldn't color people's perception of him like this. Minecraft is a hugely influential game with plenty of uniqueness to bring to Smash, so I don't think it deserves the scorn it often gets.
It's because Steve and Alex legit have no personality at all, their moveset would basically be like Link and Villagers in one character since the actual stuff that could make him super unique is far too complex for a game like Smash Bros. (which is why I say he's a perfect assist trophy, so he can actually do what makes him unique and Minecraft enjoyable: building and crafting materials, placing them down and maybe even temporarily destroying parts of the stage). Minecraft also legit has no music that fits in a fighting game, which is something Sakurai learned not to use since Brawl with how some of the AC music in that game on Smashville didn't really fit. People really only say they want Steve so Minecraft can have a stage which would be unique I suppose (more unique than Midgar with it's just battlefield but with summons thing going on) and has a ton of things that could be done, even a seeming randomized layout every time like Mario Maker. Personally I'd say if you just want a Minecraft stage just wait for the next game, if someone that isn't Steve gets in this time around that just gives a push for a stage next time around and there are stages without playable character representation on the roster and just assist trophy representation or spirit or none at all, ex: Living Room (Nintendogs), Balloon Fight (Balloon Fight), and Hanenbow (Electro Plankton). While the possibility of him being a DLC assist trophy is still a thing due to Sherif being just that in Smash 4 I'm not sure that'll happen and he'll more or less be a assist trophy next game. Plus anyways... there's data for RARE stuff in the files for Ultimate and DLC fighters most likely will come with a free DLC patch tha adds spirits from their series/company to the game so it'd just be extremely weird if Steve got in and he brought RARE spirits with him instead of Banjo and Kazooie being the ones with that which make all too much sense, plus the duo was considered for Melee but the consideration had to be dropped due to financial and legal issues (aka Nintendo and Microsoft's relationship at the time isn't as good as it is today even if they made a few GBA and DS games and the Microsoft buy out of RARE) and now that Microsoft has come out and basically said "Yeah, if they ask we'd let them use Banjo" a lot of more people want to finally get that experience that could've been if RARE wasn't bought by Microsoft at the time.

Top Bottom