• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I need a weapon" - Master Chief

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I can't imagine how much hype I would be feeling if Chief got in. That's only second if smash got a new rep from one of it's super-underrepresented series (Kirby, Earthbound, Kid Icarus, DK, Warioware, etc.)
True. I wouldn't say F-Zero is underrepresented since it hasn't had a game since the Gamecube
I'm not sure if I have officially said it, but I totally support this thread!

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
How much do you think this thread will explode if Banjo/Kazooie are revealed?

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Doubt it'll do much, B&K are still Nintendo in everybody here's eyes. They'd need Microsoft negotiations but between people still thinking of Smash as a Nintendo celebration and considering MC a symbol of X-Box, a direct competitor I highly doubt there'll be much flooding in here. It'll potentially increase the traffic but I don't see it by much.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Nintendo would have to re-establish their copyright on B&K in order for them to return.
And that hasn't happened. Basically this disconfirms them.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
Nintendo would have to re-establish their copyright on B&K in order for them to return.
And that hasn't happened. Basically this disconfirms them.
We are talking about Nintendo doing negotiations with Microsoft to get them, not buying Rare back. We already know the head of Xbox is okay with allowing them in Smash. He is what makes Master Chief a possibility.

Doubt it'll do much, B&K are still Nintendo in everybody here's eyes. They'd need Microsoft negotiations but between people still thinking of Smash as a Nintendo celebration and considering MC a symbol of X-Box, a direct competitor I highly doubt there'll be much flooding in here. It'll potentially increase the traffic but I don't see it by much.
Sakurai does not care about the console wars but does care about having the best character game ever. Yeah there are a lot of Smash fans who have the dumb "third partys have to be close to Nintendo" rule and project their view on Sakurai. But there is also a lot of Smash fans that are not Nintendo purists and would love to see another gaming icon in Smash.

The Skull Kid thread exploded after the August direct because his AT is missing. If Sakurai got one character from Microsoft, he cpuld get another similar to Sega, Capcom, and Konami. I think it will burst open by a lot because more people would see it as a possibility.

DNeon

Smash Lord
NNID
D_Neon_Lamp
Sakurai does not care about the console wars but does care about having the best character game ever. Yeah there are a lot of Smash fans who have the dumb "third partys have to be close to Nintendo" rule and project their view on Sakurai.
I know Sakurai thinks that, but I'm just saying it's less likely to explode than you think because of that second part. Likening it to the Skull Kid thread explosion is very different because it's relating it to a Nintendo character that some thought the rules were leaving out, not a non-Nintendo character. Seriously, witht the backflips some people still do to justify Cloud as 'not against the Nintendo rule' I just don't see the same kind of motion happening. B&K (if it happens) is going to be seen as Sakurai once again pleasing the long time Nintendo fans by going to another company to ask for their beloved Nintendo character back. I think the prevailing thought will absolutely be based on the 'fan favourites have nothing standing in their way anymore' part and not seeing it as openning the door for other Microsoft characters.

Yes there are the fans that aren't Nintendo purists who would love to see more icons...but the thing is that they've mostly already paid attention to this thread.

This board is naturally very Nintendo biased so I just don't see the thread blowing up like others do when there's hints for them. I mean there's already so much speculation about a Microsoft deal for Minecraft already and it hasn't helped Chief speculation anywhere even close to a fraction as much as it has B&K. I just don't expect the thread to blow up outside of direct hints at MC himself.

Last edited:

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
B&K have as much as a shot in as Steve. If one can't make it in, surely the other can't. Chief on the other hand, although not as popular of a choice, deserves to be in way more than both of them combined.

I'd Negæte That

Smash Cadet
I'd be willing to wait for a whole bunch of newcomers to be revealed... say right now, 49 more newcomers for Chief to get in. Because then he would be fighter number 117. Flavor wins again.

Glowsquid

Smash Journeyman
Oh hell yeah, you have my (plasma) sword! While I'd prefer Doomguy (or even Sam "Serious" Stone if his series was more associated with Nintendo systems) as far as FPS protagonists go, there's no doubt he would be incredibly hype to have in this game.

Though I'll be kinda dissapointed if the Chief's vocal taunt isn't "SEE YOU SOON ISRAELIS... SEE YOU SOON"...

Last edited:

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
If it means we dodge Steve, then yes I'd love to see Master Chief. Even though I'm not a fan, I believe Halo is a deserving franchise. But in terms of Microsoft, I still want Banjo most lol.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
Here is some good reasons why Master Chief/Halo should be in Smash

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
Getting stages and music from Halo would be one of the best things they could do in Smash at this point.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
Getting stages and music from Halo would be one of the best things they could do in Smash at this point.
I want Halo represented in Smash with music and a stage more than the Master Chief himself. Halo is up there with Zelda, Castelvania, Final Fantasy, when it comes to being known for its music.
The Halo rings would make for a really cool stage. The stage would have the horizon of the ring in the background with a planet/moon or high charity to the side of it and you see covenant and unsc ships in the background fighting, it would be one of most beautiful stages in the game.

The Halo universe would add a lot to Smash

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I want Halo represented in Smash with music and a stage more than the Master Chief himself. Halo is up there with Zelda, Castelvania, Final Fantasy, when it comes to being known for its music.
The Halo rings would make for a really cool stage. The stage would have the horizon of the ring in the background with a planet/moon or high charity to the side of it and you see covenant and unsc ships in the background fighting, it would be one of most beautiful stages in the game.

The Halo universe would add a lot to Smash
I was thinking Delta Halo, The Ark and New Mombasa would be great stages, with dozens of tracks from every Halo game, especially Reach and ODST would be in.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
I was thinking Delta Halo, The Ark and New Mombasa would be great stages, with dozens of tracks from every Halo game, especially Reach and ODST would be in.
I feel like it would have to be on a Halo ring since that is what the series is named after. And that image of the rest of the Halo ring in the background is so iconic.

Also ODST music made me think of this.

Last edited:

jamesster445

Smash Lord
So a weird thought occurred.

If Chief were to be playable and Sakurai wanted to make him true to form. Does this mean the majority of his A attacks would involve gunfire. After all your gun is your primary attack in FPSes, Melee attacks are secondary.

And his specials would be grenades, Melee attacks/energy sword,weapon switching/ reloading.

GolisoPower

Smash Master

If Chief were to be playable and Sakurai wanted to make him true to form. Does this mean the majority of his A attacks would involve gunfire. After all your gun is your primary attack in FPSes, Melee attacks are secondary.

And his specials would be grenades, Melee attacks/energy sword,weapon switching/ reloading.
Hmm...interesting observation. That may be something to keep in mind.

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master

Melee attacks would be mixed in with firearms. I'm guessing they could use the standard melee attack, as well as the energy sword and gravity hammer as balanced attacks. Or they could pull from cutscenes when Chief punches, or when you punch holes into Wraith tanks.

Guys what if we got Arbiter as an echo fighter? He would use Covenant weapons instead of UNSC weapons and be a little heavier.

His alternate cosutmes would be:
Default: Based on his appearance in Halos 2 and 3
Gold: Based on his Golden armor shown in the opening cutscene in Halo 2 anniversary and in Halo 5
Silver: Based on the Arbiter in Halo: Wars
White: Based on the armor of Shipmaster in Halos 2 and 3
Blue: Based on the standard elite armor in Halo: Reach
Red: Based on the standard red armor, and resembles the color scheme of Sword vehicles in Halo 5
Gray: Resembles Elite Ultra armor from Halo: Reach
Red/Purple: Resembles Elite Zealot armor from Halo 4

Last edited:

Gazorpazorpfield

Smash Journeyman
Melee attacks would be mixed in with firearms. I'm guessing they could use the standard melee attack, as well as the energy sword and gravity hammer as balanced attacks. Or they could pull from cutscenes when Chief punches, or when you punch holes into Wraith tanks.

Guys what if we got Arbiter as an echo fighter? He would use Covenant weapons instead of UNSC weapons and be a little heavier.

His alternate cosutmes would be:
Default: Based on his appearance in Halos 2 and 3
Gold: Based on his Golden armor shown in the opening cutscene in Halo 2 anniversary and in Halo 5
Silver: Based on the Arbiter in Halo: Wars
White: Based on the armor of Shipmaster in Halos 2 and 3
Blue: Based on the standard elite armor in Halo: Reach
Red: Based on the standard red armor, and resembles the color scheme of Sword vehicles in Halo 5
Gray: Resembles Elite Ultra armor from Halo: Reach
Red/Purple: Resembles Elite Zealot armor from Halo 4
As cool as an Arbiter echo would be, I think they'd have to change him too much to make him work. An assist trophy would definitely be on the table, though

ShadowYoshi04

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
3067-9785-8173
Master Chief would be a dream come true, he's my 3rd most wanted. Frankly, he's near impossible. However I am confident he will be in Smash sometime in the future, not specifically Ultimate.

Mr Gentleman

Smash Journeyman
I don't see Masterchief making base game at all. but if we do end up in a bright future where Banjo is in the game and Nintendo is indeed working with microsoft. I could see them using Master Chief as a DLC reveal to surpass the surprise factor of Cloud. he's one of the few characters who I think could really top that.

GolisoPower

Smash Master
So...have there ever been cases where you dream of the most unlikely scenarios and they come true soon after?

Because last night I dreamed of seeing a Master Chief Smash Bros trailer and went to the website and found him there. And after dreaming of having a Wii U and getting it on Christmas in 2012 before I sold it after Smash Ultimate was announced, and dreaming about Doom being on the Switch and not long after being announced last year, I think it might be one of those dreams, but I’m not sure.

Last edited:

jamesster445

Smash Lord
I did a thing.

Last time I brought up the subject of the “Ultimate What If” or should I say the Ultimate WAH-t if”. I talked about how Waluigi was a desired character but was disconfirmed. But we explored the possibilities of him either being promoted post development as either a DLC character or in a future installment. The theme was that this was a character who was nearly impossible as his role had been decided already.

Today we’re looking at the reverse. This is a character who is has not been disconfirmed yet, but has almost everything working against him. He’s not a First party character, in fact he’s a character owned by a competitor, he’s under the radar of most speculators and fans, and is generally regarded as impossible by most standards (including yours truly). But let’s think about how things could happen, Let’s talk about another “Ultimate What if”.

TheMasterDS

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TheMasterDS
3DS FC
1977-0387-8995
Once Banjo is in I think Master Chief and Crash should be priorities for DLC in the first year. Would be rival mascots representing Microsoft and Sony (though Sony doesn't own Crash the intention would be clear I think).

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
I think a better Entrance for Master Chief would be for him to be dropped off by a Pelican or by Hell Jumper Drop Pod.

I'd also rather Master Chief's "Normals" be punching, kicking, basic CQC stuff. His "Specials" should be his weapons; Assault Rifle, Magnum, Energy Sword, Plasma Grenade, Spartan Laser, Jetpack, etc. with the Charge and Ground Pound.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
I think a better Entrance for Master Chief would be for him to be dropped off by a Pelican or by Hell Jumper Drop Pod.

I'd also rather Master Chief's "Normals" be punching, kicking, basic CQC stuff. His "Specials" should be his weapons; Assault Rifle, Magnum, Energy Sword, Plasma Grenade, Spartan Laser, Jetpack, etc. with the Charge and Ground Pound.
The logic is that in FPSes, your gun is your primary method of attacking, while grenades, melees etc are secondary tools. Sakurai is all about making characters feel just like they did in their home game. So that was my logic here.

ZealousGamer

Smash Ace
The logic is that in FPSes, your gun is your primary method of attacking, while grenades, melees etc are secondary tools. Sakurai is all about making characters feel just like they did in their home game. So that was my logic here.
I'd say that Samus doesn't use her cannon arm as much as she would if we were going by that. Her basic attacks aren't firing her cannon like in her games. They are basic melee attacks. Her specials though focus on the cannon arm and other suit mechanics.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
Since vehicles are a big part of halo. I could see the banshee and ghost being a part of his moveset.

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
I want the Needler to be apart of his moveset. Love that weapon.
Oh definitely, the needler would shake things up and give him something unique, not to mention the needler and it's super-combine effect are pretty memorable elements of Halo, IMO leaving it out would be a big missed opportunity.

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
If this new leak is true (and it looks credible), that would raise Master Chiefs chances for DLC by quite a lot.

Glowsquid

Smash Journeyman
I did a thing.
I'm a gormless nerd nerd so I have to point out the claim Halo had "... the first Dual Stick layout" is not true. Lots of games already had "one stick moves, the other aims" controls:

-Uprising X (1998, PS1)
-Alien Ressurection (2000, PS1)
-Gungriffon Blaze (2000, PS2)
-Timesplitters (2000, PS2)
-Unreal Tournament (2000, PS2)
-Red Faction (2001, PS2)
-James Bond 007: Agent Under Fire (Ps2 version came out two days before Halo)

The genre was already moving toward dual stick controls on consoles. Halo's real control legacy was introducing more subtle form of auto-aim and standardising many of the button placement (right diamond to punch, upper diamond reload, push-in right stick to zoom... etc) before Call of Duty came along. But hey, nice write-up!

Last edited:

Skyward

Smash Apprentice
Halo was the first game I consistently played when I was young, so it is pretty fun to imagine how he'd translate to a 2D fighting game. I also feel he's a tiny bit more likely than most would believe, but he's a fun pipe dream regardless.
Here's a few random thoughts for what I'd do for some things, trying to reference the series as a whole:

Costumes:
- His Infinite design, which appears to be very similar to his 2 & 3 designs as well.
Blue - Based on Carter from Reach, as well as multiplayer's blue team.
Red - Based on multiplayer's red team.
Gold - Black and dark gold, inspired by the Arbiter's design in 3.
Black - Based on ODST's Rookie.
White - Based on 5's Holly Tanaka.
Classic - His Combat Evolved design.
Classic (Salmon) - His Combat Evolved design with multiplayer's salmon colour.

Final Smash: The Chief calls in an orbital bombardment from Cairo Station, akin to Cutter's MAC Blast ability in Halo Wars. He then puts down a Bubble Shield just before the rounds hit, referencing the Starry Night advert. Massive damage and knockback is dealt across the entire stage, but the Chief and anyone else inside the shield is safe.

cmbsfm

Smash Champion
NNID
srmario
So yeah, the banner leak having Banjo bodes well for The Chief. I don’t think Steve is in,but I think there will be a Minecraft stage. I don’t think Mach Rider will get a stage.

So with Minecraft content being only stage and Banjo already being in, I think this can pave the way for The Chief to be DLC.

Top Bottom