• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"I need a weapon" - Master Chief

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Good idea, I think it would be better than just auto-firing while holding B.
I like this idea too! But I think I can build on it:

By aiming with Neutral B, the closest character will be autotargeted and will receive a reticle over them that starts very large. At this rate, the bullets would be like Fox’s Blaster, but when the reticle is at its smallest (Like, say a Shield literally moments before it breaks), the bullets will deal loads more damage and hitstun for combos. When a character gets closer, the reticle will reset and move over to that character.

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Quick question.

Has anyone ever asked Phil Spencer what his thoughts of seeing Chief in Smash are?

Everyone cites his statement on Banjo but I like to think he'd have a similar attitude to Halo and Minecraft.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
The Arbiter is actually one of my favorite characters ever, and Master Chief is right up there as well. It would be awesome to have Master Chief and The Arbiter as an echo. Doesn't matter how low their chances are. If there's ever another ballot I'll definitely vote for them.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
I honestly am not sure if they'd have an Arbiter Echo if they give Chief Spartan Abilities like the charge and groundpound. If they base his non-weapon attacks solely on Halo 1-3 and don't reference the 343 games outside of the guns, then yes I can see an Arbiter Echo. If they do include the 343 abilities, they could have Buck or another Spartan be his Echo instead.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413
If there's an Arbiter echo, he better be voiced by Keith David
Of course!
I honestly am not sure if they'd have an Arbiter Echo if they give Chief Spartan Abilities like the charge and groundpound. If they base his non-weapon attacks solely on Halo 1-3 and don't reference the 343 games outside of the guns, then yes I can see an Arbiter Echo. If they do include the 343 abilities, they could have Buck or another Spartan be his Echo instead.
To be fair, Simon and Richter borrow attacks from each other so I don't see it out of the question. I don't see a different echo happening unless MS want to promote one or something like that.

BirthNote

Smash Master
NNID
GeneticDestiny
Of course!

To be fair, Simon and Richter borrow attacks from each other so I don't see it out of the question. I don't see a different echo happening unless MS want to promote one or something like that.
Yea, I'm hinging it on his moveset. I like Chief's offensive options in Halo 5 cuz it provides an easy Dash Attack, Down Air and plenty of throw options. Chief and Arbiter were basically the same moveset in the Bungie games, so an Echo seems especially logical if Chief's basic template draws from that era. With the 343 games they seem to be differentiating Spartans from the other bipeds more and more, using tech to justify it. I'd like to see how the Arbiter would work around those if he's an Echo of 343-era Chief. Definitely not impossible, but as long as Chief has those moves I mentioned Arbiter Echo is fine by me.

Perhaps they'll give Chief some of the Arbiter's moves from Killer Instinct to justify Arbiter using some of Chief's moves? That'd be pretty cool.

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
I’m coming to a conclusion that I want Chief more then Banjo.

Halo just is bigger than Banjo-Kazooie and isn’t a dead series.

Don’t get me wrong I love Banjo and Kazooie, but they just don’t carry any hype for me anymore like it would of back in Melee or Brawl days.

Last edited:

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692

Don’t get me wrong I love Banjo and Kazooie, but they just don’t carry any hype for me anymore like it would of back in Melee or Brawl days.
Chief is my most wanted character due to how much of a big deal to have the mascot of a rival console in Smash, plus Halo is awesome.

Although I will say that Banjo should be in Smash way before Chief due to the character once being owned by Nintendo. Banjo and Kazooie is what makes Master Chief a possibility.

Oblivion129

Smash Lord
NNID
Oblivion129
3DS FC
1821-9773-2413

Same. I'd like Banjo because his series was fun and he has a lot of fans, but my personal preference is for Master Chief.
Halo was a lot more fun and influential for me.

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
I am a big supporter for Master Chief in Smash. Yeah, I really want Doomguy, but I also want MC, and IMO they are different enough to not invalidate each other and not be too similar in execution.

As far as Master Chief's chances go, I think there's a chance MS might actually want him in Smash, or at least may not be the ones against it. They are pretty big on cross-play and "playing together" with Nintendo at the moment and series that make it into Smash pretty much only benefit. He could even be bundled together with Banjo. The hype that would generate for both Nintendo and MS would be insane.

Yes, gimme the Smash "Play Together" DLC Pack with Banjo Kazooie, Master Chief (both with stages), a Minecraft stage and Creeper AT to boot.

Last edited:

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
I am a big supporter for Master Chief in Smash. Yeah, I really want Doomguy, but I also want MC, and IMO they are different enough to not invalidate each other and not be too similar in execution.

As far as Master Chief's chances go, I think there's a chance MS might actually want him in Smash, or at least may not be the ones against it. They are pretty big on cross-play and "playing together" with Nintendo at the moment and series that make it into Smash pretty much only benefit. He could even be bundled together with Banjo. The hype that would generate for both Nintendo and MS would be insane.

Yes, gimme the Smash "Play Together" DLC Pack with Banjo Kazooie, Master Chief (both with stages), a Minecraft stage and Creeper AT to boot.
This is basically what everyone that wants Microsoft content in Smash wants, Banjo and Kazooie with Master Chief as fighters, then stages to go along with them with a Minecraft stage and minecraft assist trophy.

Well.... besides the people that want Conker in anyways, I'd think he'd be a good assist trophy in my personal opinion, but I think one from Banjo and Halo are much more likely.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Not everybody is interested in the same thing. I honestly want Fulgore and Master Chief playable. Steve? is a great third choice, but I think a Minecraft stage is just fine too. B&K are like the 4th choice for me(so very low priority).

I think the issue is people are letting nostalgia blind them here a bit; B&K are absolutely popular, but there's still people who have zero interest in them being playable whatsoever. They don't feel like a lock to them when it comes to a Microsoft character. Some even argue against the character.

A better way to put it is this; no, it isn't basically what everyone wants. It's something vocal we see, and some also just want B&K content and that's literally it.

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
The ballot and fan favorites really seem to be a priority this time, if not outright confirmed. Banjo & Kazooie was one of the most popular picks in the ballot, so honestly I think they'd be the ones to open the door to other MS stuff. And hell yes I'd love Fulgore if they wanted to go for 3 Fighters and Conker is a great AT candidate as well.
As far as I'm concerned bring on the ATs, hard to have too many of them. Five Microsoft AT's (something from BK, the Arbiter, Jago, Conker and a Creeper) wouldn't be a huge stretch I don't think, but who knows. Conker might be hard to do justice...

Last edited:

Xevious 1

Smash Ace
NNID
Xevious969409
3DS FC
1118-2448-4692
Not everybody is interested in the same thing. I honestly want Fulgore and Master Chief playable. Steve? is a great third choice, but I think a Minecraft stage is just fine too. B&K are like the 4th choice for me(so very low priority).

I think the issue is people are letting nostalgia blind them here a bit; B&K are absolutely popular, but there's still people who have zero interest in them being playable whatsoever. They don't feel like a lock to them when it comes to a Microsoft character. Some even argue against the character.

A better way to put it is this; no, it isn't basically what everyone wants. It's something vocal we see, and some also just want B&K content and that's literally it.
Okay I can't ignore this because this post bugs me. Sure if you don't have interest that is fine.
But there is a very good reason to why people want the character, why he should be in, and why he could be in. Banjo and Kazooie were once Nintendo characters and were the face of Rare during their most popular era and his games are considered some of the best 3D platformers ever. If Microsoft is going to get any character in Smash, it is absolutely going to be Banjo first before anyone else and I think he should be in before anyone else. He was the most popular third party character on the Smash ballot, he was once a Nintendo character, and Phil Spencer saying he was okay with Nintendo using him. He is more of a lock than any other Microsoft character for those reasons.

Saying people who want him are nostalgia blind and that he isn't a lock when it comes to Microsoft is just silly.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Okay I can't ignore this because this post bugs me. Sure if you don't have interest that is fine.
But there is a very good reason to why people want the character, why he should be in, and why he could be in. Banjo and Kazooie were once Nintendo characters and were the face of Rare during their most popular era and his games are considered some of the best 3D platformers ever. If Microsoft is going to get any character in Smash, it is absolutely going to be Banjo first before anyone else and I think he should be in before anyone else. He was the most popular third party character on the Smash ballot, he was once a Nintendo character, and Phil Spencer saying he was okay with Nintendo using him. He is more of a lock than any other Microsoft character for those reasons.

Saying people who want him are nostalgia blind and that he isn't a lock when it comes to Microsoft is just silly.
He isn't a lock. Never was. A reasonable possibility, yes.

Never said people are just nostalgia blind either. You're missing the point. People are vastly overestimating his chances due to nostalgia, yes. All of that is great, and fair reason why people want him playable. It does not nor ever made him a lock. That's why it's being nostalgia blind.

Same with this whole idea they did super well on the ballot. It's possible, but it's not a claim that can be made with actual evidence. Obviously there were a good amount of votes, we can tell that much at least. The only lock at best is Minecraft content if anything, because it's the only franchise that Nintendo and Microsoft have consistently teamed up on, and that's still the most likely to be guaranteed content with something closer to a 90% chance. Anything after the strongest franchise(that again, Nintendo and Microsoft keep teaming up for) is more up in the air.

Let's remember the real tie between Nintendo and Microsoft is all Minecraft right now. Crossplay, a Minecraft-themed 3DS(yes, that means that Nintendo is using a Microsoft product to fully advertise their own system), Minecraft Switch having the Halo Mash-Up Pack(which not even Sony has, meaning that Nintendo is gladly advertising Microsoft-owned franchises on the Switch as well. Master Chief literally is one of the costumes. But so is Banjo. But here's the kicker, Banjo's official reason is "to appeal to N64 fans". It's literally them stating nostalgia is the reason for that particular costume). Finally, Phil would've said that if you asked for any actual character, honestly. It's business speak to show how interested he is with getting more fans to be happy. Not that it matters much, since him being interested in one(or probably just about any request, most likely) doesn't really do anything at all without the rest of Nintendo, Sakurai, and the other Microsoft executives saying yes. It hinges on them, not one CEO's personal opinion(which is vastly exaggerated as more important than it really is).

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I would hesitate to say any fighter is a outright "lock", but we know now thanks to the Famitsu interview that Sakurai is drawing from the ballot this time, and Banjo & Kazooie were popular in said ballot. I think BK in smash is possible. Am I confident they'll make the base roster? No, but I still think given everything that they have a solid chance to make it in.

Minecraft would be good for a stage and AT, but Steve himself is not as likely as Banjo & Kazooie or even the Chief when it comes to fighters. He's just not as iconic or requested, what with Banjo being on a lot of peoples lists since Melee. Just because MS and Nintendo's relationship is focused on Minecraft at the moment doesn't mean it won't expand to involve other games on both sides.

TL;DR: fan favorite characters are the priority this time as Ridley, K Rool, and the famitsu interview all have made abundantly clear.

Last edited:

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
Why though? Verge has said there's Minecraft content in the game
Yeah this to me seems very likely. The first Microsoft content to make it in will probably be Minecraft. But, I feel it's representation will stop at a stage and AT. The first MS fighter will IMO be Banjo, because of the ballot. They could make the base roster, but just as easily could be DLC.

If BK is in the base roster then I think the presence of Minecraft and BK in Smash would lead people to speculate and request about the next thing MS could add, the Master Chief.
If BK doesn't make the base roster, then MS and Nintendo have the opportunity to do them both in a single DLC pack for max hype.
The point of all this is, as far as I'm concerned any Microsoft content in Smash is good for the Chief's chances.

Last edited:

xNaz

Smash Cadet
Imagine them dropping both him and Banjo in the same direct - 2 Microsoft characters. People would be going crazy for weeks

GolisoPower

Smash Master
Imagine them dropping both him and Banjo in the same direct - 2 Microsoft characters. People would be going crazy for weeks
I'll bet routers across the country will explode if that happens! XD

Geassguy

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I was crazy with hype when Cloud got dropped out of nowhere, but BK and MC in one would make my freaking year...

volbound1700

Smash Master
I will say this, I don't think there is a character out there that would cause the internet to explode as much as Master Chief.

Amestris Square

Smash Cadet
my fb page has reached 430+ likes, i also noticed and increased on views on videos about master chief in smash bros

Smasherfan88

Smash Ace
NNID
Smasher06
Switch FC
8416-9167-6989
Master Chief and Banjo reveal in the same direct = The Entire Earth Explodes.

But jokes aside, I'd be crying tears of joy.

I'd Negæte That

Smash Cadet
I think Chief should use an energy sword as a smash attack, probably side. Yes it is a covenant weapon, but the energy sword is one of the most iconic weapons in gaming, and he is also perfectly capable of using covenant weapons.
Also
Arbiter Echo
Noble Team as alternate skins. Kinda like the koopa kids, would include name change as well.
The Trials (Halo 5)
Traffic Jam (Halo 3: ODST)
Finale (Halo 3: ODST, Remixed probably to cut some of the middle parts)

smashingDoug

Smash Lord
I been thinking. What if Rare, had to put The Arbiter into season 3 of killer instinct, what came out in 2016. because Hal labs approached Microsoft for the use of Chief in Smash back in 2015, and was granted permission.

So no conflict of interest happens Rare can’t use that Master chief in KI because he’s coming to Smash

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
I been thinking. What if Rare, had to put The Arbiter into season 3 of killer instinct, what came out in 2016. because Hal labs approached Microsoft for the use of Chief in Smash back in 2015, and where granted permission.

So no conflict of interest happens Rare can’t use that Master chief in KI because he’s coming to Smash
That’s an interesting thought, man! Never thought of that!

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I support. Here's the half-moveset that I like so far:

Weight: Slightly less than Dedede
Jump Height: Same as Zero Suit
Falling/jumping speed is the same, it's pretty slow. Chief is almost floaty, but he weight a ton.
Double jumps: 1. A slight boost from the booster.
Passive Effect: MJOLNIR Armor: Chief only takes 85% of the damage he would normally take while MJOLNIR is in effect. After taking 20%, MJOLNIR will break. Chief will then take normal damage from energy-based attacks but 115% of physical attacks. After 5 seconds of not taking damage, MJOLNIR will begin to recharge. It takes 3 seconds for it to fully recharge. It won't recharge if Chief is running. In fact, Chief takes an additional 5% of damage and knockback while he's running if he doesn't have MJOLNIR, which adds up to 120% extra damage if it's a physical attack.

B: Magnum Shot. Kind of like Bayo's B, but straight direction, londer range, but only 1 bullet at a time. Can be angled by holding B and moving L stick. Can lock.

Side B: Plasma Grenade (Yes it's sticky, but detonates a second after and can't be exchanged on touch). Kind of like Mega Man's side B but it's thrown in an arc, and always remains constant. If it doesn't hit a player and hits a surface it will stick to the surface and detonate moments later.

Down B: Armor lock from Halo reach. Slow and punishable, but while he's using it he takes only 80% of damage, can't be grabbed and experiences no knockback. He can't hold it for more than 8 seconds. After that, he must wait 10 seconds before using it again. Can't use it while airborne.

Up B: Jetpack, also from Reach. Once he uses it, it's constant but can press B again to cancel it. It does not put Chief in free fall at all, and during his ascent he can press A to shoot an assault rifle.

Jab: a three hit combo. A punch like the melee button from Halo games, then a kick, then Chief smacks them with the underside of an assault rifle.

Side tilt: Shoots an AR. Fires up to 32 shots, each dealing 0.8%. Then he stops and reloads.

Up tilt: A single upward slice with an Energy Sword. Fast, repeatable, and maybe a combo piece.

Down tilt: A slow kick. Kind of like Ganon's upsmasH: Slow, but little end lag. He presses his foot downward, and anyone hit will be grounded.

Dash attack: Spartan charge. Cheif only takes 85% of damage that he would normally take while in the animation. The hitbox comes out early, but it has a good amount of end lag.

Neutral Air: Same as mega Man's, he shoots an SMG. Each shot only deals 0.6%, but it fires very fast. Chief can actually angle the shots using L stick. Pressing down while holding A won't put him into fast fall.

Forward air: A swing with the energy sword.High damage, low knockback. Consist of two hitboxes, one for most of the body and one at the tip. The one at the tip has no different properties, but it can lock.

Up air: A weak upwards punch. This can actually lock if the person being hit is on a platform (battlefield, Dream land, etc).

Back air: A swift kick backwards. Same properties of ZSS, Fox, etc.

Down air: Ground pound. Slow and lot's of end lag. Chief remains suspended in the air for a moment while the player inputs a direction. Chief will then launch himself in that direction. If he lands on any surface, he will create a massive hitbox that deals loads of damage and knockback, and easily breaks shields. If he does not hit a surface and remains airborne for it's entirety, Chief will cover a great deal of space in the animation. For it's entirety, the hitbox does remain while chief is in the air, and will not stop him from descending. The hitbox grows weaker every 30 frames. Chief cannot angle himself upward or sideways with this, making it a bad recovery option.

F smash: Shotgun blast. The hitbox angles outward away from chief but only for so long before the bullets dissipate. If close to Chief this will break shields. The bullets scatter in different angles fast. Fast to use, medium endlag (has to do the *k-chk* animation).

U smash: An upwards swing with an energy sword. High damage, little knockback. Enough end lag that it cannot be repeated, and the player hit is in tumble for a very short time.

D smash: A swing with a gravity hammer. Think of Dedede's forward smash: first the hammer is above him, then on the ground. It deals a lot of damage, and with a little charge will break shields. The hitbox does not go behind chief but extends a nice amount in front of him (gravity shock). Players hit by the hammer as he swings it are launched at a normal arc. However, if hit when the gravity shock begins, they'll be launched completely upward, like Corrin's counter. It's fast, but has a ton of end lag.

Ledge get up attack: A simple, weak-ish boot with his leg.

Get up attack: Chief does a 180, sticking one leg out and the opposite arm out with an energy sword in hand. Players hit by the sword get launched upward-ish, but players hit by his leg are launched at the "Sakurai angle."

Up taunt: "I need a weapon."

Side taunt: he holds out his hand and Cortana appears in it. She waves at anyone in front of Chief then disappears.

Down taunt: "BOO!" (From Halo 2)

Victory 1: Simply walks up and stares outward, like his pose from the cover of Halo 3.

Victory 2: He seems to be having a conversation with Cortana before she disappears.

Victory 3: He kneels downward and looks up, saying "You will be remembered." (References Sgt. Johnson, Noble team, and anyone else who's died in the Halo story).

Special victories:

Against Samus: Says, "The best soldiers come from UNSC."

Against Snake: Says, "Try wearing some armor."

jamesster445

Smash Lord
Does it actually hold any weight though?
I'm gonna have to say no. Killer Instinct uses a lot of monsters as part of the roster so in all fairness the Arbiter actually fits better in that scenario than Chief would've. That's why Raam is there and not say a Marcus Fenix or a COG.

PassePopinjay

Smash Cadet
Hell yeah brother. The Chief is a total pipe dream, but I'll support any effort to get him in 'til the day I die.

I'd Negæte That

Smash Cadet
New Mombasa could be a stage. Would include Halo 2 and ODST music, and maybe have the Superintendent/Virgil as like an AI that assists random people on the stage?

31fps

Banned via Warnings
I can't imagine how much hype I would be feeling if Chief got in. That's only second if smash got a new rep from one of it's super-underrepresented series (Kirby, Earthbound, Kid Icarus, DK, Warioware, etc.)

Top Bottom