• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I need a meebo replacement

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Meebo was a free, in-browser chat client. It could synch up with virtually any popular chat client (and also had its own, which could import your buddy list from another client) and let you chat to your heart's content, within a Firefox tab.

This was super useful to me, because I like to run as few processes on my (absolutely terrible) computer as possible. Thus, running AIM (what I used to use) is an unnecessary system drain when I can just have a firefox tab to do my chattin' in.

But, Google bought meebo and killed it, which is annoying as all hell because they also didn't create an alternative... just just want me to use Google+ I guess. I have since tried imo.im but am finding it very mediocre.

So, I need a meebo replacement. Preferably it'd have the following features:

-Synchs up with AIM and my buddy list and such
-In-browser (no download required)
-Formatting (bold, italics, etc... not available on imo.im)
-Multi-party chatrooms (imo.im has this feature, but everyone else must be using imo.im as well, which is absolutely idiotic. Looking for something that could unite people under multiple clients (AIM, Trillian, etc), as meebo could)
-To continue from the above, it needs to be possible for me to be invited to other group discussions as well. imo.im of course does not allow this, unless the other user is also using imo.im. Once again, need this to be compatible with various clients.

I think that's all I need out of it. I'm not very particular about interface, since I'll just try all the options that fit the above criteria and see which one I dig the most.

Thanks in advance!

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
My operating system literally hits the ceiling of my physical memory just from turning the computer on. Add in antivirus and stuff and... yeah. Would much prefer an in-browser client, at least until I can get a RAM upgrade.

I would actually consider switching browsers if you are that concerned about memory, considering that Firefox isn't the best browser when concerned with memory usage.

I don't use an in-browser chat client, but the one I use only runs on ~14,000k. It's called Pidgin, and other than the in-browser part, it fits your criteria perfectly.

The only thing that has been defending me for 2 years was Windows Firewall.

John2k4

The End of an Era
You risk not only identity theft of passwords/personal info/etc, but also general crap getting on the computer and slowing it down. There are a ton of free antivirus programs out there, and some have a small memory footprint for machine builds like that.

John2k4

The End of an Era
It does not matter what level of experience you are at with regards to computers.

You.
Need.
Anti-Virus.

I would stake my job as a computer repair tech that your unprotected computer has a number of hidden bad things on it because of lack of AV.

This is derailing EE's thread, so let's please leave it at that. I'll continue the AV stuff through PM if you would like.

:phone:

John2k4

The End of an Era
I use Pidgin for both my AIM and Google Talk accounts. It works really well for both the Computer Savvy and the Computer Newbie. =)

Edit: But then again, it does not meet your criteria for in-browser [to m knowledge]. =(

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
I appreciate your attempt to help, but did you read the OP, man?

I broke down a list of things I need that meebo used to have, 90% of which imo.im doesn't have, unfortunately.

Top Bottom