• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I main Sopo. Help

Mr.President

Smash Rookie
Hello, I have been playing Melee for a while and I have decided that I want to main Sopo. I was wondering if anybody had a good Sopo guide or any tips and tricks for him as far as combo game and other things. I am aware that Sopo is not good in comparison to the top 8.

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Just curious, how do you intend to play just Sopo? I know it is possible with 20XX, but a lot of tournament setups do not use 20XX. What will you do then?

Mr.President

Smash Rookie
Wavedash back and double jump to ledge. Nana dies. If I die, then I will play but I won't use Nana intentionally (So I will dash dance and crap) and then when I get the opportunity I will suicide her. It's not perfect but I think it will be fun. Until I get shine spiked. xD

LobotomyPop :^)

You fricked up, mister.
Wavedash back and double jump to ledge. Nana dies. If I die, then I will play but I won't use Nana intentionally (So I will dash dance and crap) and then when I get the opportunity I will suicide her. It's not perfect but I think it will be fun. Until I get shine spiked. xD
That's hella dinky, but sounds kind of neato to see in action, dude.

Mr.President

Smash Rookie
That's hella dinky, but sounds kind of neato to see in action, dude.
Yeah, I am looking forward to it. But it's hard to find any information about Sopo from experienced players. I think it's probably going to mainly be about DI mixups with throw combos and trying to get in their head when I throw them. Also, Popo has some pretty good grounded movement so learning the very ranges of my moves could be quite useful.

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
Reaction tech chasing ffers is the future of sopo. Tight windows though. If you have 20xx thats good for practice.
Also consistently cging the characters that you can on reaction.
Lots of dash dancing and practicing movement. Controlling your movement is super important as sopo.
Being able to make good use of not only your wd/perfect wavelands, but also short wds, walks, pivots, and shield stop aerials is incredibly important.

Being able to AC uair/bair is important too. Not as safe as with both climbers, but still important.

Knowing how to perfect ledgedash/all your invincible ledgedash options helps.

Knowing DI mixups and percents/followups are pretty important too. Things like dthrow->nair and dthrow->uair or dthrow->pivot fsmash do a lot to help you out.

Things like jab->grab and utilt start being a lot less reliable, so you have to use the hammers more. Getting grabs is still how you get a lot of your hardest punishes, but sopo struggles with getting them more than when you have both climbers. You can dash dance pretty freely though, so that helps a lot.
But pretty much lots of jab->ftilt or straight ftilts to break cc, solo-utilt is actually horrible against people who know the mu, but AC uairs can be a good substitute.

Hope that helps.

Mr.President

Smash Rookie
Thanks. Nobody on this forum seems to know anything about Sopo. Can you tech chase off Back throw and down throw? And do you have any tips for the marth matchup

gmBottles

Fun Haver
NNID
komfyking
Thanks. Nobody on this forum seems to know anything about Sopo. Can you tech chase off Back throw and down throw? And do you have any tips for the marth matchup
You can techchase off downthrow, and I'm sure you can off backthrow at some percents, but don't take my word on that one. Marth would be a bit tricky. I think what you would want to do most is move around a lot to bait out moves, such as fsmash particularly, and then go in for your punish. You would have to have a pretty crazy Sopo punish game to get anywhere in any MU.

Mr.President

Smash Rookie
It's hard to practice punish game because I can't use 20xx (No WIi) And none of my friends play with me because I'm better than them

DerfMidWest

Fresh ******
Slippi.gg
SOFA#941
You can tech chase off bthrow, I generally prefer dthrow, unless my bthrow puts them in the corner, since that makes reacting way easier. Or I guess if you dthrow and they go into the corner you could bthrow back to the stage to keep it going.

General tips for dthrow tech-chase:
1. DI away->walk forward to follow the DI
--tech away->dash->full wd->grab. Hardest one to do on reaction.
--tech in place->standing grab
--tech behind->dash back->grab

2. DI in->turn around in place
--tech behind (your current position)->wd back->grab. On falco you may need to dash grab
--tech in place->standing grab
--tech away->wd forward/dash grab

Biggest things to account for are falcos long ass tech away and shines/buffer options out of the techs.
Falcon is by far the easiest to do on reaction.
You can also CG him on reaction, but it's harder than tech chasing.

As far as marth goes, it's really hard as sopo.
Marths like to dtilt you a lot to stop you from approaching on the ground. Easiest way to beat that is just to sh fair if you know when he'll dtilt. Be careful of fair/fsmash mixups to counter that.
He sometimes also tries to bait if then DD grab, you can spotdodge or maybe get out a jab/ftilt if he's slow.
Marth shouldn't really be throwing out fsmashes in neutral, but if you figure out how they are trying to fsmash you can wd oos punish it. I wouldn't rely on them throwing out dumb fsmashes though.
Marth has a gimmicky bthrow->tipper fsmash combo on you at low-mid percent if you DI in, they usually do it near the ledge. I like to get hit by that sometimes. DI down+away avoids it, but you're still in a bad spot.

Marths aerials are unsafe on shield, if you know marth will jump, you can wd into him with shield up to force him to misspace and you can usually get a grab.
With fair marth can do the following:
1. Double jump away: wd forward->uair/usmash
2. Double fair/double aerial: if misspaced, hold shield->grab. If spaced probably get out of there.

3. Uuuh this one is weird. No marths really do this, but while he can't just fair->Waveland, he can do late-ish fair->dj->airdodge on first frame of dj in order to effectively do fair wavelands.
Fair waveland back->dtilt/dd is really dumb and super safe and I don't know if sopo (or ICs in general) actually have a good response to it.
But no marths really do that yet so we don't have to worry just yet.

Uuuuuh as far as combo game goes most of your conversions come off of grabs and fairs as sopo.

Grabs generally you just dthrow->aerial or dthrow->usmash.
On full DI away you actually have a dthrow CG. I forget how high it goes off the top of my head, but it lasts a decent amount of time. Slight DIs not so much though, at low percents I like dthrow->nair->regrab on things that look like DI away.
DI in at low percents you can usmash, then at higher percents you can uair or fair and get something started off that.

A lot of times your opening is fairing marth on the ground (out of his dtilt). Usually when this happens he asdis down (because he's dtilting) which forces a knockdown rather than popping him up.
This is good because you can either jab reset/hit him and/or react to his get up options. Generally that's really easy to convert to a grab/smash attack

So yeah.. That's really all I can think of right now as far as general advice goes

Top Bottom