• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

I made Custom Special moves for (nearly) every character in the game

Jotari

Smash Journeyman
I loved special moves in SSB4, at least as a concept. I think in practice they were mostly a bit on the uncreative side, but still cool nonetheless. And ever since I wanted to see them give unique custom specials to every character, not just Palutena and the Miis. So I've made them myself. But giving 12 customs to every single character is a little on the insane side, so I've limited it to just one alternate special in addition to the four specials in the game already. I'm still aware of how this would take a tonne of work to implement, so a lot of the specials are similar to specials other characters have (think how Charizard and Wario have similar up Specials). Still I think this would add a lot more fun and depth to the game.

Here is the link tot he google doc for anyone interested in checking it out.

It will be updated as more DLC characters are released (major shame Smash 4 DLC characters never got customs).

And yeah, it's nearly every character, because my knowledge of the six dozen+ characters now in the series isn't fully encyclopedic. I do have some small gaps here and there.

Last edited:

Quillion

Smash Hero
But giving 12 customs to every single character is a little on the insane side, so I've limited it to just one alternate special in addition to the four specials in the game already. I'm still aware of how this would take a tonne of work to implement, so a lot of the specials are similar to specials other characters have (think how Charizard and Wario have similar up Specials).
That's a good call actually. The fact that they can recycle functions would really reduce the work required to make them.

That said, if we need "character X but with different specials", I think semi-echoes that have similar normals but different specials would work better.

Jotari

Smash Journeyman
That's a good call actually. The fact that they can recycle functions would really reduce the work required to make them.
Another possibility would be to make it more free form entirely, say give characters 7 special moves that can be assigned to any slot. So if you wanted to but Simon Belmont's Holy Water on the Side Special (since it's so similar to PK Fire) you can. This would give advantage of being able to mix up movesets a lot more rather than just choosing between Down Special A or Down Special B. From a creation stand point it would also make designing more specials easier, as one thing that is usually pretty difficult for making a Smash character is giving them a unique Up Special that works as a recovery. For some characters it's a no brainer, but for other characters who don't do whole lot of jumping in their own game things can end up a bit more contrived (looking at you Ness).

That said, if we need "character X but with different specials", I think semi-echoes that have similar normals but different specials would work better.
That's generally how a lot characters in SSB64 worked. There's a lot more cloning going on in that game than it seems, it's just they generally kept the specials different so it doesn't seem as grating. Regarding here I have tried to give the Echo fighters different specials to their parent character, though the specials they do get might be similar to someone else. Chrom and Lucina for example, who are both Echoes, but not of each other, have similar custom specials in my suggestion. I probably could have given them more unique stuff (I'm a big Fire Emblem fan so wouldn't be difficult) given Marth and Roy are already pretty similar, but I like Chrom and Lucina sharing some specials because they're father and daughter.

Torgo the Bear

Smash Lord
NNID
u2outofcontrol
Switch FC
SW-1209-7008-3905
Want suggestions for Steve? Standard Special should probably stay the same...but the rest can be changed.

Side Special could be Pig Riding. Steve will hop onto a Pig and steer it with a Carrot on a Stick. This is kind of like a slower version of Wario Bike. If Steve dismounts, the Pig will wander the stage and can be killed by any characters' attacks. When the Pig dies, it drops some pork that anyone can eat to restore some health.

Up Special should be the Ender Pearl. Steve throws an Ender Pearl, which can be angled just like Yoshi's eggs. Steve will instantly teleport to wherever the Pearl lands at the cost of receiving 5% damage in the process. If the Pearl hits an enemy, Steve will be teleported directly in front of them and can immediately follow up with an attack.

Down Special can be the Water Bucket. Steve will use the Water Bucket to pour water that flows along the ground, pushing opponents away in the process. If the water flows off a platform, it will flow directly downward, but in this case, players can hold the jump button to "swim" upward through the water. Water sticks around for a few seconds, but Steve can clean it up quickly by using the now-empty bucket again on the spot where he originally emptied it.

Jotari

Smash Journeyman
Want suggestions for Steve? Standard Special should probably stay the same...but the rest can be changed.

Side Special could be Pig Riding. Steve will hop onto a Pig and steer it with a Carrot on a Stick. This is kind of like a slower version of Wario Bike. If Steve dismounts, the Pig will wander the stage and can be killed by any characters' attacks. When the Pig dies, it drops some pork that anyone can eat to restore some health.

Up Special should be the Ender Pearl. Steve throws an Ender Pearl, which can be angled just like Yoshi's eggs. Steve will instantly teleport to wherever the Pearl lands at the cost of receiving 5% damage in the process. If the Pearl hits an enemy, Steve will be teleported directly in front of them and can immediately follow up with an attack.

Down Special can be the Water Bucket. Steve will use the Water Bucket to pour water that flows along the ground, pushing opponents away in the process. If the water flows off a platform, it will flow directly downward, but in this case, players can hold the jump button to "swim" upward through the water. Water sticks around for a few seconds, but Steve can clean it up quickly by using the now-empty bucket again on the spot where he originally emptied it.
I don't play Steve much at all, and despite it's ridiculous popularity and my own creative streak, I don't think I'll ever play Mine Craft, so suggestions on him are quite appreciated, but I have to ask, what advantage would the Pig have over the Mine Cart? The Mine Cart already does a great job of giving Steve horizontal mobility and can even be jumped be jumped out of to hit enemies with. It's a pretty great move, I'm not sure a slower Wario Bike would be able to measure up.

Torgo the Bear

Smash Lord
NNID
u2outofcontrol
Switch FC
SW-1209-7008-3905
I don't play Steve much at all, and despite it's ridiculous popularity and my own creative streak, I don't think I'll ever play Mine Craft, so suggestions on him are quite appreciated, but I have to ask, what advantage would the Pig have over the Mine Cart? The Mine Cart already does a great job of giving Steve horizontal mobility and can even be jumped be jumped out of to hit enemies with. It's a pretty great move, I'm not sure a slower Wario Bike would be able to measure up.
Yeah I guess you're right. I couldn't think of anything else at the time...

But I just thought of a slightly better idea: the Dispenser.
Steve will place a Dispenser, which functions like one of his Blocks (only with much more HP and and a longer untouched lifespan). Over time, the Dispenser will periodically shoot Arrows forward that can damage people from afar. If left alone, the Dispenser will fire about 5 or 6 arrows before disappearing.

Jotari

Smash Journeyman
Yeah I guess you're right. I couldn't think of anything else at the time...

But I just thought of a slightly better idea: the Dispenser.
Steve will place a Dispenser, which functions like one of his Blocks (only with much more HP and and a longer untouched lifespan). Over time, the Dispenser will periodically shoot Arrows forward that can damage people from afar. If left alone, the Dispenser will fire about 5 or 6 arrows before disappearing.
That sounds like a much better idea. And not something we've seen in Smash yet(?) aside from that one item. A turret really seems like something a character would have, but I can't think of anyone who's done something like this.

I've also got an idea for his neutral special, Auto Mine. Basically takes the mining out of the move as Steve gathers materials automatically during the battle like Hero's recovering MP. Not as effective as actively mining, but it removes the need to spend your time mining. Probably would be more attractive ot people picking up Steve casually. Not sure if it's something that can be done in Mine Craft, but I think it works well enough mechanically for him as an alternate playstyle.

Jotari

Smash Journeyman
Updated with Sora, should any one care. I have played Tekken games on some sparse occasions, but I've never really owned one, so I'm not familiar enough with Kazuya to really come up with anything for him (and it seems they were dedicated to fitting every single animation he has ever had into his standard moveset someway already).

Last edited:
Top Bottom